Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dempsey wrote: »
    What are you trying to make out??

that the little factoid the post he quoted about Celtic being formed during the famine is indicitave of the type of tripe peddaled by the average Celtic shirt wearing cap on the back of the head sporting tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks mulletted little scrote that calls themself a Celtic fan in this country routinely come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

ziggy wrote: »

Don't really find any humour in that

Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow during the famine back home.

The above was taken from Younge post Just pointing out a fact

it's actually hilarious how someone claiming to be a Celtic fan could post that.

I mean, how can someone with access to the internet be so horribly misinformed.

It's beyond belief tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Don't really find any humour in that

Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow during the famine back home.

The above was taken from Younge post Just pointing out a fact

Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow who had established themselves in the East End of Glasgow since the Famine in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow who had established themselves in the East End of Glasgow since the Famine in Ireland

Can agree with that statement not the one that was made by younge which is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dont worry Ziggy, I laughed my ass off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Des wrote: »
    it's actually hilarious how someone claiming to be a Celtic fan could post that.

It's beyond belief tbh.

So horribly misinformed? Sorry by my earlier post I mean the spaceship that landed that started Celtic. I got a word wrong so stop been a drama queen now on fairness. The main reason for some many Irish in Scotland and beyond was the famine. At least I posted something rather than using two posts to give out about my post. My post was wrong with the the word during. My bad.

''that the little factoid the post he quoted about Celtic being formed during the famine is indicitave of the type of tripe peddaled by the average Celtic shirt wearing cap on the back of the head sporting tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks mulletted little scrote that calls themself a Celtic fan in this country routinely come out with''

What are talking about Des? Your seem very narrow-minded. I'd hate to see you make some sort of mistake. I'm not a 'sham' by any means.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

spiderdan wrote: »
    just wondering if you guys are surprised at the resentment/ hatred for Celtic FC on this forum by the posters. Is it something that comes with the territory when being a avid Celtic fan? i.e. Irish fans automatically thinking you're a "Ra fan"?? I ask this as I posted the question in the "teams you hate" thread. Everyone is so quick to distance themselves from the Irish links/ roots.

Let me answer this as best I can. I'll try and be careful this time, as last time when I made my feelings very clear on the matter, I got a week's ban for it.

I came straight into this thread tonight to avoid reading the garbage posted in the other threads on this forum about Celtic and their fans. As I'm sure the regulars on this thread will know, I'm rarely seen on any other soccer threads, and it's for the very reason that there's so much crap posted outside of here, usually about "real fans" or Celtic phonies.

I really like posting in this thread - I like the crowd on here (even the Rangers misfits :D ) and the discussions are good natured, good craic and interesting. Yeah it can get tense from time to time, but so what, as long as it doesn't get out of control (which it doesn't). The only time I don't like this thread is when it gets dragged down (or someone attempts to drag it down) to the level of all the other crap on here.

Let me spell out some truths for the idiots who seem to be incapable of understanding this. They've all been said before, but it seems they need to be said again and again and again. These truths can be seen as plain as day by anyone who bothers to read the discussions in this thread, which has a decent number of regular Celtic and Rangers fans (and the odd Hibee - they're all odd though. ;) )

Myths:
    - "They drag religion into football." I've never seen religion being mentioned in a discussion on this thread. I've seen plenty of EPL/LOI etc. fans harp on about religion and how they seem to believe it is part and parcel of Celtic and Rangers. It is not, and anyone following this thread will realise that.
    - "They only support Celtic 'cause they think they're an Irish team." Utter shyte. Again, I have never once met a Celtic fan - here or elsewhere - who has held the belief that Celtic are an Irish team. Again, I've read lots of EPL/LOI fans bull****ting on about how they believe Irish Celtic fans all think this.

Some other classics:
    - "I hate Celtic cause of their knacker fans." Really? That's a good reason to hate a team. These people also seem to think that there's no scummers supporting Liverpool, United etc.. I have seen loads of Liverpool and United scummers - they are everywhere.
    - "Celtic fans are all 'ra heads." :confused: Whatever. It's hard to even argue that because it's such a ridiculous idea in the first place.

Some people on here are just so far up their own arses it's incredible. People will spend days/weeks/months on here just bigging themselves up on how great they are for spending an evening watching local footie. Good for them, that's marvellous. Seriously, you are great lads. But do us a favour, stop patting yourselves on the back for it, enjoy the footie and let us enjoy ours without this constant "we're better than you" nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

that the little factoid the post he quoted about Celtic being formed during the famine is indicitave of the type of tripe peddaled by the average Celtic shirt wearing cap on the back of the head sporting tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks mulletted little scrote that calls themself a Celtic fan in this country routinely come out with.

It's beyond belief tbh.

I didnt understand what Broxi was getting as I actually only glanced over his post despite responding to it. A simple misstatement is all it is and you are trying to blow it out of all proportion to try and make a ridiculously feeble argument.

Fact is, there is a stronger connection between the Irish and Celtic because of the history that any other club outside of Ireland. As said, plenty of muppets jump on the bandwagon but buying a jersey doesn't make you fan in my book and stereotyping all of us shows up your ignorance.
    Some people on here are just so far up their own arses it's incredible. People will spend days/weeks/months on here just bigging themselves up on how great they are for spending an evening watching local footie. Good for them, that's marvellous. Seriously, you are great lads. But do us a favour, stop patting yourselves on the back for it, enjoy the footie and let us enjoy ours without this constant "we're better than you" nonsense.

Fully agreed. Its like they want a medal for supporting the LOI.

CO2EURO_50SV.JPG

There ya go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Brewster wrote: »
    I probably can guess the answer to this, but seeing its an OF final I guess tickets will be hard to come by.. Would you pick up a ticket off a tout say outside ground on the day? I am flying home from Glasgow as it happens, could be a good way to put day in!

Bump! Anyone any ideas? Not even going to comment on the previous posts!!

I didnt understand what Broxi was getting as I actually only glanced over his post despite responding to it. A simple misstatement is all it is and you are trying to blow it out of all proportion to try and make a ridiculously feeble argument.

Fact is, there is a stronger connection between the Irish and Celtic because of the history that any other club outside of Ireland. As said, plenty of muppets jump on the bandwagon but buying a jersey doesn't make you fan in my book and stereotyping all of us shows up your ignorance.

Fully agreed. Its like they want a medal for supporting the LOI.

CO2EURO_50SV.JPG

There ya go :pac:

Ok one comment, some Celtic fans were quick to point the finger at the hooligans wearing Rangers shirts in Manchester and trying to paint them all in a bad light. I thought this was appalling. I fully expect the police to catch the culprits, and I doubt very much many will be Rangers season ticket holders either...

Thanks Ziggy, a gentleman and true Celtic fan as always...

Bump! Anyone any ideas? Not even going to comment on the previous posts!!

You will have absolutely no chance through official channels. Hampden holds about 50,000. There must be in the region of 90,000 season ticket holders between the two clubs.

You may pick up an expensive ticket outside the ground. Afterall, if some fool offered me £200 for my ticket, I would sell it to them

Ok one comment, some Celtic fans were quick to point the finger at the hooligans wearing Rangers shirts in Manchester and trying to paint them all in a bad light. I thought this was appalling. I fully expect the police to catch the culprits, and I doubt very much many will be Rangers season ticket holders either...

The ST holders would probably be in the stadium although just because a person is not a ST holders does not mean they do not go to games and are not fans or supporters.

You will have absolutely no chance through official channels. Hampden holds about 50,000. There must be in the region of 90,000 season ticket holders between the two clubs.

You may pick up an expensive ticket outside the ground. Afterall, if some fool offered me £200 for my ticket, I would sell it to them

Thanks... Ill see what happens.... only 200??!

I dont have a season book at CP, does that make me less of a supporter than one that does? :mad:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1176023.ece

I wonder if he could even get a season book

• Advertisement

The ST holders would probably be in the stadium although just because a person is not a ST holders does not mean they do not go to games and are not fans or supporters.

Well thats the point I was trying to make, Id imagine season ticket holders were in Stadium and not beating up the cops.... However, many on here were QUICK to accuse all Gers fans as being hooligans. I was just agreeing with Dempsey, you cant generalise because of a few rotten apples.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

However, many on here were QUICK to accuse all Gers fans as being holigans.

Who? And what did they say?

I dont have a season book at CP, does that make me less of a supporter than one that does?

No, but you're a bar-stooler, religious bigot, fake fan, plastic paddy, republican, 'RA head etc. who really should support your local team and embrace the LOI. :D

Then, and only then, will you truly become a Football Jedi. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

younge wrote: »
    What are you on about! You write in that hate thread
    ''Celtic are a British club! It's not patriotic to support them. If it's patriotism you want, go support a LOI team''
    You support Liverpool and you come to a Celtic thread giving out as if their part of the monarchy over their. Liverpool are to the fore of 'British' teams. Worst still their English. Stupidy coming out of your mouth monkey! No one on this thread has claimed its patriotic to support them however I will now. It's far more patriotic than liverpool. I'm not going to go into a long speech but the basics are Celtic were founded by an Irish priest for the poor Irish immigrants of Glasgow during the famine back home. The reason the club was set up was to raise money for charity for the Irish. It's majority owned by an Irish man. It has Irish ties at every level from players to board members. A tri-colour flys over parkhead. I'm not a 'ra' head and I'm devoted Celt because I love the club. It's a Scottish/Irish club that plays in Scotland.

I know Liverpool are a British club. I never claim otherwise. But when someone comes out with sh!te claims that they look out for Celtic's results because of patriotism, that's when things get ridiculous. You think you're more patriotic than me for following Celtic?? We both follow British clubs!Patriotism doesn't come into for me. I've loved Liverpool since i was seven and i feel no need to justify it by claiming sh!te like they have Irish connections. They're British and i don't care.
    Oh, and it's worse to support an English club over a Scottish club?? Nice bigoted comment there. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have better reasons for supporting Celtic than the sheep that started supporting EPL clubs to avoid standing out in school. Now stop following me into different threads to drag them offtopic

Sheep supporting EPL?? But Celtic fans in Ireland are unique and individual, yeah? Hypocritrical to say least

You boys are taking a mighty kicking on the other 'hated football' forum.. To the genuine Celtic fans, who follow their club with pride, my apologies to you. Its not fair on you, you know who are you. Its not deserved. To all the other plastic paddy muppets, it must make for interesting reading....!

• Advertisement

You boys are taking a mighty kicking on the other 'hated football' forum.. To the genuine Celtic fans, who follow their club with pride, my apologies to you. Its not fair on you, you know who are you. Its not deserved. To all the other plastic paddy muppets, it must make for interesting reading....!

You're stirring the poop Brewster. Can't stand people doing what you do. It's pathetic.

I see you've also avoided my question, which is something you clearly don't like yourself.

PauloMN wrote: »
    You're stirring the poop Brewster. Can't stand people doing what you do. It's pathetic.

I see you've also avoided my question, which is something you clearly don't like yourself.

What are you on about? What am I doing? Im not stirring anything, was just making a valid point after reading another thread on soccer forum...

What are you on about? What am I doing? Im not stirring anything, was just making a valid point after reading another thread on soccer forum...

You've come on here to let us know the usual knuckle-draggers are out slagging off everything Celtic on another thread. Not that anyone here needed reminding.

Then you're joining in on it on that very thread giving it the whole "I've been accused" bit. Even worse, you're now pretending you don't even know what you're doing.

And you still fail to answer my earlier question, because you can't.

Anyway, this thread is being dragged down along with the others, so I'll leave it at that. Apologies to the other lads, I just find it hard to read the utter dross posted here about Celtic on an almost daily basis without replying.

You've come on here to let us know the usual knuckle-draggers are out slagging off everything Celtic on another thread. Not that anyone here needed reminding.

Then you're joining in on it on that very thread giving it the whole "I've been accused" bit. Even worse, you're now pretending you don't even know what you're doing.

And you still fail to answer my earlier question, because you can't.

Anyway, this thread is being dragged down along with the others, so I'll leave it at that. Apologies to the other lads, I just find it hard to read the utter dross posted here about Celtic on an almost daily basis without replying.

Fact 1- I have neither the time nor the patience to search through the pages looking for examples of where Celtic fans on this forum threw accusation at decent Rangers fans over Manchester which were unfair, "thrashing city" etc..

Fact 2- On an Irish soccer forum, Celtic are being highlighted as being a more hated team than Rangers. What does this say? I suspect your upset about this and cant understand why.

Fact 3- You come accross as a decent guy, and I respect you as a Celtic fan. Why on the other hand do u personalise things and accuse me of stirring up stuff when I simply display an opinion, backed up by fellow irish people, that you dont agree with? Its not necessary.

Fact 4- I have alot of time for Celtic and their decent fans, and I have made this point on the board numerous times. I do not seek reasons to slag them off at any opportunity. I also do not just 'appear' on this forum when they lose or Rangers win, thats silly talk...

Fact 5- I genuinely thought you were accusing me of being a Rangers fan last week for expressing my opinion, for this I apologise for my misunderstanding. I certainly have a sense of humour, I can assure you of that.

Lads.

I feel I owe the regulars of this thread an apology for dragging it off topic yesterday.

So, sorry.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

If Celtic do get Willo Flood i think it will be a good signing for us, I think we must look to our performances in europe and change our whole system and individual players picked, with Brown, Crosas Mcgeady and Flood in midfield and maybe Maloney off Hessalink up front we could have a good chance of making real progress. Caldwell and Mcmanus just can't hack it in europe and must be separated for these matches, Anyone any thoughts?

Yeah, but not with Loovens. He's no better than either McManus or Caldwell.

Flood is a good little player, and I think getting regular football with Celtic he'll develop even further. Glad we're getting him now, give him a chance to settle in before Europe starts again.

I think we'll really miss Naka when he's gone. He frustrates me at times with how easily the ball can be taken off him, but his crossing the other night was sublime, top drawer. I hope Flood (and Mizuno) can fill the void.

I'm disappointed we are still struggling to get a left-back, this is going on years now. It's the one position I would have wanted filled this Jan. We should be looking to add a striker also as Samaras is not delivering and JVoH is so injury prone he's like half a player!

I reckon the problem with LB is that we cant get anyone that obviously better than Naylor without paying ridiculous money or they arent interested in coming to the SPL.

I reckon the problem with LB is that we cant get anyone that obviously better than Naylor without paying ridiculous money or they arent interested in coming to the SPL.

Well that what Strachan says, but tbh I don't buy it. Naylor was bargain basement, and was good in his first season, but has been pretty poor since. And it didn't stop him spending £3m on Loovens, who is no better than McManus or Caldwell, while having O'Dea sitting on the bench with a big head on him 'cause he can't get a game.

If we can't find a better left-back than Lee Naylor for a few million quid, we are in serious trouble.

Well that what Strachan says, but tbh I don't buy it. Naylor was bargain basement, and was good in his first season, but has been pretty poor since. And it didn't stop him spending £3m on Loovens, who is no better than McManus or Caldwell, while having O'Dea sitting on the bench with a big head on him 'cause he can't get a game.

If we can't find a better left-back than Lee Naylor for a few million quid, we are in serious trouble.

Do we really want a player thats just barely better than Naylor as the final solution to the problem?

Its more so wages that are the problem AFAIK

Enrique is a sub at Newcastle and he's raking in more than Balde.

Do we really want a player thats just barely better than Naylor as the final solution to the problem?

Its more so wages that are the problem AFAIK

Enrique is a sub at Newcastle and he's raking in more than Balde.

Yes well that is true, and of course Balde is a blocking factor to a certain degree as the highest paid Celtic player at the moment if I'm not mistaken. I reckon we're missing out on some deals as the board just will not sanction another high wage while he's bleeding the place dry of £35k per week to sit in the canteen.

I know the SPL is largely gash, but CL should be an attraction to a footballer on the move. Plus any decent left-back has a guaranteed first team spot given how poor Naylor is, there's not exactly hot competition for the place. I think we should be able to compete with at least the bottom 10 EPL clubs for certain players.

Yes well that is true, and of course Balde is a blocking factor to a certain degree as the highest paid Celtic player at the moment if I'm not mistaken. I reckon we're missing out on some deals as the board just will not sanction another high wage while he's bleeding the place dry of £35k per week to sit in the canteen.

I know the SPL is largely gash, but CL should be an attraction to a footballer on the move. Plus any decent left-back has a guaranteed first team spot given how poor Naylor is, there's not exactly hot competition for the place. I think we should be able to compete with at least the bottom 10 EPL clubs for certain players.

You'd think that we'd have scouts competent enough to give us a practical solution at this stage.

BTW, anyone see Misun play a reserve match yet?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

I reckon and HOPE the only reson Samaras is starting is that Jan isnt fully fit/tired after the cup game.

if we score in the first half this should be okay but the longer it goes on the more confidence Caley will get.

Poor game, we never looked like scoring, even though we'd a few chances in the 2nd half especially. Naka and Samaras should both have definitely scored, McManus fluffed a great chance also. Samaras is now officially doing my head in (along with Naylor). :mad:

Very frustrating especially when Iverness were wide open a couple of times, we should be able to capitalise on those situations when they arise.

I took down our last 8 league results - not pretty reading:

7/12/08 - Lost (2-0 Hibs)
    13/12/08 - Drew (1-1 Hearts)
    21/12/08 - Won (0-3 Falkirk)
    27/12/08 - Won (0-1 Rangers)
    3/1/09 - Drew (2-2 Dundee Utd)
    18/1/09 - Lost (4-2 Sheep)
    24/1/09 - Won (3-1 Hibs)
    2/2/09 - Drew (0-0 ICT)

3 wins from 8 games. 24 points available, 12 taken. Not championship winning results tbh.

We've not added anything except Willo Flood. He's a good signing, but not a priority signing imo.

I think Rangers are in with a great chance of taking the league this year, I'd go so far as to say I think they're favourites now given the fact that we haven't improved the squad. We've been lucky so far in that they haven't really taken as much advantage of our bleeding of points as they could have, but I have a feeling we'll be chasing 1st spot soon.

Poor game, we never looked like scoring, even though we'd a few chances in the 2nd half especially. Naka and Samaras should both have definitely scored, McManus fluffed a great chance also. Samaras is now officially doing my head in (along with Naylor). :mad:

Very frustrating especially when Iverness were wide open a couple of times, we should be able to capitalise on those situations when they arise.

I took down our last 8 league results - not pretty reading:

7/12/08 - Lost (2-0 Hibs)
    13/12/08 - Drew (1-1 Hearts)
    21/12/08 - Won (0-3 Falkirk)
    27/12/08 - Won (0-1 Rangers)
    3/1/09 - Drew (2-2 Dundee Utd)
    18/1/09 - Lost (4-2 Sheep)
    24/1/09 - Won (3-1 Hibs)
    2/2/09 - Drew (0-0 ICT)

3 wins from 8 games. 24 points available, 12 taken. Not championship winning results tbh.

We've not added anything except Willo Flood. He's a good signing, but not a priority signing imo.

I think Rangers are in with a great chance of taking the league this year, I'd go so far as to say I think they're favourites now given the fact that we haven't improved the squad. We've been lucky so far in that they haven't really taken as much advantage of our bleeding of points as they could have, but I have a feeling we'll be chasing 1st spot soon.

Obviously OF is going to be crucial, as always, if Celtic win at home they go 5 points clear again which is a healthy lead in Scotland. Celtic still strong favourites to win league, they have a better squad that Rangers in most positions. Obviously disapppointing for Celtic to drop 2 points, especially following Rangers' result where Dundee United were finally put to the sword, but dont see Paulo how Rangers could be considered favourites. Ask the bookies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

With the cup game this weekend against Queens Park we should see a very different team with a good sprinkling of Irish players in the team, Flood, Mccort, Mcginn, and O,Dea. He should also give Ben Hutchison a game if he is fit.

Badabing wrote: »
    With the cup game this weekend against Queens Park we should see a very different team with a good sprinkling of Irish players in the team, Flood, Mccort, Mcginn, and O,Dea. He should also give Ben Hutchison a game if he is fit.

I would have thought it was in Celtic's best interests to play their best team, their strickers need to regain some lost confidence after firing blanks for last 210 mins of football. Wouldn't expect sweeping changes.

Any news on transfers? Fletcher says he wants to go to Celtic.

Looks like Paul Caddis is signing for Dundee United, he seems to be highly rated by Celtic fans??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Caddis had a brilliant pre-season but then couldn't break into the team, i tought he had what it takes to be good enough. :(

Only Caddis & Sheridan gone out on loans, good for them but we need Fletcher or Evans to be bought then or we are short of cover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Only Caddis & Sheridan gone out on loans, good for them but we need Fletcher or Evans to be bought then or we are short of cover
    Rocco Quinn moved to Hamilton on a full transfer too. Happy to see Caddis and Sheridan loaned out.

I really don't think we can blame Strachan here for lack of transfers. He's starting to tell us all of his frustration. We had loan bids accepted for Garrido and Fernandes. Evans supposedly too. We had a bid accepted for Kovac who chose West Ham. I'm sure there was many more.

2 more young foreigners were signed (16 year old twins):
    http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/02/02/SPL-Celtic-deadline-deals/gnid-38339/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement