Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Rocco Quinn moved to Hamilton on a full transfer too. Happy to see Caddis and Sheridan loaned out.

I really don't think we can blame Strachan here for lack of transfers. He's starting to tell us all of his frustration. We had loan bids accepted for Garrido and Fernandes. Evans supposedly too. We had a bid accepted for Kovac who chose West Ham. I'm sure there was many more.

2 more young foreigners were signed:
    http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/02/02/SPL-Celtic-deadline-deals/gnid-38339/

Have to say I was a wee bit surprised Celtic did'nt sign anyone seems to me if they get an injury or suspensions up front they could struggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Have to say I was a wee bit surprised Celtic did'nt sign anyone seems to me if they get an injury or suspensions up front they could struggle
    Would love to see Strachan forced into playing 1 up front tbh.

Vennegoor
    Maloney
    Naka
    McGeady
    Crosas
    Brown

Would suit every one of those players down to the ground. They'd completely outclass most of the SPL teams which seems to be a big struggle a lot of the time with the current system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

10 Celtic fans arrested on sunday 3 of these were arrested for sectarian singing.

When are the club going to stop these morons getting tickets?

http://scotzine.com/blog/?p=3020

10 Celtic fans arrested on sunday 3 of these were arrested for sectarian singing.

Its not easy for clubs to stop away fans getting tickets plus you will always get your fair share of morons among away support, unless they are season ticket holders then the club can't do much at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Its not easy for clubs to stop away fans getting tickets plus you will always get your fair share of morons among away support, unless they are season ticket holders then the club can't do much at all

I don't buy that one. The sectarian singing has been stopped at Celtic park. Away tickets are difficult to get as even seasn ticket holders struggle. It would not take too much to identify the culprits and ban them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That should read '3 of these were arrested for alleged sectarian singing'

What were the songs in question?

That should read '3 of these were arrested for alleged sectarian singing'

What were the songs in question?

don't know what two of them were singing but one of the alleged of the three has already been found guilty of racially aggravated breach of the peace he was shouting f*****G orange B*****DS, the two others have been charged with the same offence cases continuing according to the Record ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

With Setanta covering the game, it was heared clearing a number of rebel songs that Celtic have frowned upon as well as on one occasion around the 50 minute mark ‘Up the Ra’ being sung as part of an add on - Celtic FC and a majority of fans have helped to try and stamp this out however there are still certain elements that love to break the rules and it won’t be long before they will all be weeded out - hopefully - Scottish Football doesn’t need these sort of songs anymore no matter what side sing them.

Jaysus, no prizes for editorial skills with that piece anyway. :rolleyes:

As regards the 3 gob****es, nothing other than condemnation from me. They give the club a bad name and hopefully won't be back. Let's hope the police will ensure that their zero tolerance policy on this extends to supporters of all clubs.

PauloMN wrote: »

As regards the 3 gob****es, nothing other than condemnation from me. They give the club a bad name and hopefully won't be back. Let's hope the police will ensure that their zero tolerance policy on this extends to supporters of all clubs.
    Agree fully Paul

I could actually hear the "ooh ahh up the Ra" chant during Celtic Symphony which was never sang in recent years (the song would just die out at that part). This part of the song was brought back in when Samaras started making a name... "ooh ahh Samaras". Now Samaras has dropped in form the fans don't want to sing his name and I guess some of them switched to the Ra chant.

I actually think the "ooh ahh Samaras" allowed some people to sing "ooh ahh up the ra" without really being heard. You can hear some sing that in youtube videos at games. It was just nobody sang this part of the song at matches until Samaras joined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I actually think the "ooh ahh Samaras" allowed some people to sing "ooh ahh up the ra" without really being heard.

That thought had crossed my mind as well I must admit. Always wondered was there some idiot singing that when the rest were singing "ohh ahh Samaras".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Fair play Paul.

I did read on the net that the guy felt ashamed for calling someone a DOB as his girlfriend and mother were both protestant! :eek:

That thought had crossed my mind as well I must admit. Always wondered was there some idiot singing that when the rest were singing "ohh ahh Samaras".
    And they're probably thinking everyone around them is singing what they're singing. So on Sunday we were left with those that usually sing for Samaras not singing at all, leaving the others to be heard.

God this is confusing. :)

I blame Samaras. If he was scoring goals, none of this would be happening!!! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    go bust :D
    don't know what two of them were singing but one of the alleged of the three has already been found guilty of racially aggravated breach of the peace he was shouting f*****G orange B*****DS, the two others have been charged with the same offence cases continuing according to the Record
    again, wouldn't wipe the **** off ma ass with it

poindexter wrote: »
    go bust :D

again, wouldn't wipe the **** off ma ass with it

Don't care what you would do with it mate I just stated the fact it was in it and the guy was named and shamed

As for us going bust it aint going to happen:p

Dempsey wrote: »
    Look for his penalty during a match for Legia on youtube, the guy is well able to take penos

http://celticfc.net/news/stories/news_070109090116.aspx - 7th Jan 09

http://celticfc.net/news/stories/news_290109103118.aspx -29th Jan 09

;)

This one is for you Dempsey... Comes from the horses mouth himself... Boruc's penalty was lucky, to claim he meant it was laughable...

And Boruc has revealed that he had few nerves about taking the spot-kick.

"I was quite confident," he told the Celtic View. "To be honest, I didn't mean it to go so far into the top corner.

"I was concentrating on hitting the target and I suppose I was lucky that the ball went where it did.

"I'm glad I scored but the most important thing was the team going through. We didn't win because of me, it was a team thing.

laughable!

he took like a slowed down goalkick - the only way goalkeepers know how.
    Goal keepers are taught to to precise with kicks...
    Did you ever watch Kevin Pressman take penalties for Sheffield Wednesday?

Ditto for you smackbunny... Do you still maintain that my suggestion that Boruc's penalty was lucky was 'laughable'?!

jaysus Brewster you must really hate Boruc. :D You don't even want him to get credit for a decent peno. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All he said that he didnt mean to roof the net, he was still aiming high and to the right :p

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    All he said that he didnt mean to roof the net, he was still aiming high and to the right :p

Yeah yeah wotever!! It was a great shootout, but for you guys to claim Boruc meant to be so precise with penalty was a bit rich!!

Seriously, you shouldn't be letting things like that bother you. Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

http://www.followfollow.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=430893

Dunno if this is the right place for this but good read, Rangers fans report on the trip to Dublin to play Bohs in 84.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

bohsman wrote: »

Dunno if this is the right place for this but good read, Rangers fans report on the trip to Dublin to play Bohs in 84.

A fairly one sided report from what ive heard/read about that day. Although that is to be expected on Follow Follow.

i've heard Rangers supporters call some of our own fans "animals" for what went on, and on the flispside i have heard reports of the Gardai firing (possibly plastic bullets) into the crowd after the game.

I dont really know the ins and outs, and i suppose no one ever will.

bohsman wrote: »

First - and last - time I've had the (dis)pleasure of visiting that site. Absolutely mind-boggling ignorance at its finest.

"the Guarda(the Irish police)". Shows the level we're dealing with. Sounds like they got what they deserved to be honest.

We'll probably be reading similar ****e in 24 years about "Manchester '08" and how the poor wee lambs got a hard time there as well. :D

First - and last - time I've had the (dis)pleasure of visiting that site. Absolutely mind-boggling ignorance at its finest.

"the Guarda(the Irish police)". Shows the level we're dealing with. Sounds like they got what they deserved to be honest.

We'll probably be reading similar ****e in 24 years about "Manchester '08" and how the poor wee lambs got a hard time there as well. :D

Paul, 9 out of 10 British people would not know how to spell "Na Gardai Siochana" correctly- hardly the stuff of mind boggling ignorance!

Seriously, you shouldn't be letting things like that bother you. Crazy.

Eh, when someone claims my posts on this topic last week were laughable, I think its imperative that I point out how misinformed they were if they thought Boruc meant to be so precise with peno..... Don't you??

Got to say I don't know why we are even bothering talking about this it was 1984 and I bet most posters were not even old enough to be interesred in football then.
    Find it interesting that you say they got what they deserved Paul I know boys that went over to that game and they were attacked for no good reason you have to remember the troubled times then Paul I have know doubt there faults on both sides

I was going to go to that game myself but work commitments and EB only being a nipper(code for my wife was giving me earache) prevented me from doing so :p

Brewster wrote: »
    Paul, 9 out of 10 British people would not know how to spell "Na Gardai Siochana" correctly- hardly the stuff of mind boggling ignorance!

If I was writing a piece that was going to be published on a website, I'd probably Google it, rather than writing something like "Stratclide Polis Forke" or the "Royel Ulstor Cunstabulary". ;)

Remember, Google is your friend. That goes for huns as well. :p

• Advertisement

Got to say I don't know why we are even bothering talking about this it was 1984 and I bet most posters were not even old enough to be interesred in football then.
    Find it interesting that you say they got what they deserved Paul I know boys that went over to that game and they were attacked for no good reason you have to remember the troubled times then Paul I have know doubt there faults on both sides

Absolutely, I'm sure there were plenty of idiotic Bohs fans around that night as well. I'm not excusing them.

I do feel the insinuation about heavy-handed policing is probably bollocks though. I wasn't there in fairness, but even reading between the lines of that piece, the Rangers fans weren't exactly saints. If people acting the mickey got a few thumps from the Gardaí, I find it hard to have sympathy for them.

The belief that they were among friends though as soon as they hit the border - seeing their RUC brethren armed to the teeth with weaponry - and feeling safe then did make me laugh though.

Absolutely, I'm sure there were plenty of idiotic Bohs fans around that night as well. I'm not excusing them.

I do feel the insinuation about heavy-handed policing is probably bollocks though. I wasn't there in fairness, but even reading between the lines of that piece, the Rangers fans weren't exactly saints. If people acting the mickey got a few thumps from the Gardaí, I find it hard to have sympathy for them.

The belief that they were among friends though as soon as they hit the border - seeing their RUC brethren armed to the teeth with weaponry - and feeling safe then did make me laugh though.

Of course that shows the stupidity of the writer I also don't have any sympathy for anyone who stepped out of line
    Just feel its so far in the past it should remain there we should be looking forward
    Don't get me wrong I will never want Celtic to win as much as an egg cup but thats football :p

Just feel its so far in the past it should remain there we should be looking forward

Point well made, and agreed.
    Don't get me wrong I will never want Celtic to win as much as an egg cup but thats football :p

Can't agree with that though. :D

Sky Sports Scout
    We run the rule over Scottish starletJohn Fleck
    By Sky Sports Scout Last updated: 5th February 2009

FACTBOX
    NAME: John Fleck
    BORN: Glasgow
    POSITION: Forward
    CLUB Rangers
    FACTS: Youngest ever player to appear in a British Cup final.

Sky Sports Scout Ratings:
    0-10 - No hoper
    11-20 - Should look elsewhere
    21-30 - Might not make it
    31-40 - Has work to do
    41-50 - Keep an eye on him
    51-60 - Great prospect
    61-70 - On his way to the top
    71-80 - Already World-class

Sky Sports Scout is our feature where we scour the globe looking out for the best talent and bringing you a report on what we find.

Our Scout will report back and you can comment on what you think of our appraisal.

The scout reports...
    John Fleck has long been tipped to make a big impact at Rangers and he is now starting to show that could be a huge star of the future.

The nephew of former Rangers star Robert, Fleck was long talked about because of his family connections - but he is now showing that he could very well be something special.

A muscular forward, very similar in build and style to Wayne Rooney - which have seen the media draw similarities and Fleck himself admits he would love to become Scotland's version of the Manchester United star.

He has been in and around the first-team squad since he was 16 and became the youngest ever player to appear in a British Cup final when he came on as a substitute in Rangers' 2008 Scottish Cup victory over Queen of the South.

He has benefited from the Rangers staff nurturing him rather than throwing him in straight away. He fired his first goal for the club in January and now looks set to compete for a regular starting berth.

Indeed his impact with the Rangers first-team has seen calls for his inclusion in Scotland's senior squad - despite being just 17.

The scout says...
    Fleck has benefited from Walter Smith's guidance, he has not been rushed and is now coming through at a steady pace - although he could very well make is impossible for him not to be a first-team regular within the next few months.

The next few years will be vital for Fleck and will show whether he will be able to live up to his tag of one of the best young players in Europe - a label not many young Scottish players have had in recent times.

The Scout rating
    Shooting: 8 out of 10

Passing: 8 out of 10

Tackling: 7 out of 10

Heading: 7 out of 10

Pace: 8 out of 10

Vision: 9 out of 10

Current ability: 7 out of 10

Potential ability: 10 out of 10

OVERALL SCOUT RATING: 64/80

Current value: £5million

Potential value: £35million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

In fairness, he shines compared with the rest of that mob. :pac:

I think he'll do well for them, although the monetary values listed are a bit OTT.

The likes of Fleck are the best way SPL sides will cope with having little or no money to spend. Bring a player like that in young enough, get a few good years out of him and flog them to EPL clubs then.

Hopefully when we get young Caddis and O'Dea back at the end of the season, we'll get the best of them for a few years to come. We might need a new manager for that to happen though.

• Advertisement

Its only someones opinion after all I remember when Martin O'Neill said Agathe was worth 25million now that was funny :D

In fairness, he shines compared with the rest of that mob. :pac:

I think he'll do well for them, although the monetary values listed are a bit OTT.

The likes of Fleck are the best way SPL sides will cope with having little or no money to spend. Bring a player like that in young enough, get a few good years out of him and flog them to EPL clubs then.

Hopefully when we get young Caddis and O'Dea back at the end of the season, we'll get the best of them for a few years to come. We might need a new manager for that to happen though.

Thats why I found it interesting. I remember a few years back Ajax won the CL, was it around 1995?, with mostly home grown players. I would have thought that the OF teams, without the revenue of English clubs should follow this model. Surely for example Celtic must have a left back in youth team that would be worth investing in for the future rather than buying someone? Makes a lot of sense, produce stars, and then sell them on for a profit as you say Paul.

As long as it's calculated risk. The point is that £3m won't get you much these days. I know I keep harping on about Loovens in particular, but I think he's a good example of where buying in does not solve a problem. Is he any better than what we had there, let alone better than the likes of O'Dea? Will he guarantee CL qualification above a player brought through the youth ranks? In my humble opinion, nope.

As for match ticket prices, supply and demand I suppose. The attendances have looked **** across the SPL in general this season, and I don't think there's any problem getting a season ticket these days. Even home CL tickets were available this season right up to the day. If the numbers keep falling off like that, they'll have to drop the prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Ditto for you smackbunny... Do you still maintain that my suggestion that Boruc's penalty was lucky was 'laughable'?!

i'll give it to you ;)

• Advertisement

As long as it's calculated risk. The point is that £3m won't get you much these days. I know I keep harping on about Loovens in particular, but I think he's a good example of where buying in does not solve a problem. Is he any better than what we had there, let alone better than the likes of O'Dea? Will he guarantee CL qualification above a player brought through the youth ranks? In my humble opinion, nope.

As for match ticket prices, supply and demand I suppose. The attendances have looked **** across the SPL in general this season, and I don't think there's any problem getting a season ticket these days. Even home CL tickets were available this season right up to the day. If the numbers keep falling off like that, they'll have to drop the prices.

It seemed to me at time that Celtic only went after Loovens cos Rangers were keen on signing him. I said this at the time too... It will always give the fans of either team a boost when one player signs for them as opposed to other OF team.

Paul your 100% spot on, you should only spend money if the player is better than what you have already at your disposal.

Youth is the ONLY way forward for Rangers and Celtic now, its taken a long time for the respective clubs to realise this fully though.
    We simply cannot compete in the transfer market anymore, and we need to rely on bringing through young players to mix with the more experienced heads and learn from them.
    no one is saying we should be putting out a team full of U-21's, finding the right blend of youth and experience is key though.

Having watched Fleck in his appearances for the first team, i can undoubtedly say the boy is the most exciting player we have had for a long time.

obviously he still has a hell of a lot to learn, he is only 17 after all, and it could all go badly wrong for him with injuries, confidence etc...lets face it he is still growing... but I see no reason why he cant make that wide left position his own this season and from then on in, who knows?

35 Million however....lets hope Bain doesnt see that! :D

And if he can give us one of these on the 15th......:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iZx-vBDkvQ

Shamelessly stolen from KDS, but it is a belter, even the Rangers lads on here will get a laugh from it I'm sure.
    Quite a funny thread on the Huddleboard yesterday speculating on the nickname the media might come up with for the H*?s' greatest young player ever by splicing his name into names of the world's soccer superstars, in the same vein as Boydchenko.

Fleckenbauer, Fleckaldinho, Fleckham, Fleckzaghi, etc. That is until they tried splicing it with Kaka and got...

Ka-Fleck. e14564.gif

Cannae see that catching on down Ibrox way for some reason.

Eirebear wrote: »
    And if he can give us one of these on the 15th......:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iZx-vBDkvQ

Yes please :D:D:D

Shamelessly stolen from KDS, but it is a belter, even the Rangers lads on here will get a laugh from it I'm sure.

The way people are talking up this guy he must be a talent?! Unfortunately Ill miss OF game next wkd as Ill be away. Look forward to watching him play in future, hopefully stays injury free. Never heard of him till last wkd till I saw his name pop up on soccer saturday on sky!

It seemed to me at time that Celtic only went after Loovens cos Rangers were keen on signing him. I said this at the time too... It will always give the fans of either team a boost when one player signs for them as opposed to other OF team.
    And I laughed at that. Jesus Celtic are struggling to spend money and you think the board will throw away £2.5m on a player just because Rangers wanted him. Celtic played Cardiff a few weeks before signing him don't forget. Strachan saw him in the flesh and obviously liked what he saw.

btw, Brewster, I can't believe you never heard of Fleck until today. :eek:

And I laughed at that. Jesus Celtic are struggling to spend money and you think the board will throw away £2.5m on a player just because Rangers wanted him. Celtic played Cardiff a few weeks before signing him don't forget. Strachan saw him in the flesh and obviously liked what he saw.

btw, Brewster, I can't believe you never heard of Fleck until today. :eek:

Well last Saturday! Id know a fair few Rangers and Celtic players, but that lad was new to me...

Re Loovens, I'm not saying it was the only reason Celtic went after him, obviously Strachan thought he was a decent player. However, from what I remember he was all set to sign for Rangers and Celtic came in at the last minute and gazumped deal, I might be wrong, but thats the way it seemed to me.... My pal, who is a decent Celtic fan acknowledged this also. He says like Paulo, that he is no better than McManus and Caldwell and O Dea should have been given a chance. I think fee was closer to 3m also! He did say Loovens is very good at attacking corners, much better than defending them! He has got a few goals by all accounts...

I see Ian Harte's proposed move to St. Mirren is now off:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/7872504.stm

Wonder what's going on there? I have a feeling he might end up at Parkhead. :eek: That being the case, I'll reserve judgement on him assuming he's a bargain in terms of wages.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement