Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

PauloMN wrote: »
    I see Ian Harte's proposed move to St. Mirren is now off:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/7872504.stm

Wonder what's going on there? I have a feeling he might end up at Parkhead. :eek: That being the case, I'll reserve judgement on him assuming he's a bargain in terms of wages.

In all honesty taking his record from Leeds onward I don't think he would be any better than what you have :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

In all honesty taking his record from Leeds onward I don't think he would be any better than what you have :P

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm wondering what's going on. If he's available on St. Mirren wages though, he might just be worth the punt, even until the end of the season.

Anyway this is all conjecture - it just seems a bit suspect that he suddenly backed out of a deal to join St. Mirren, when he's hardly the most-wanted player out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Brewster wrote: »
    Thats why I found it interesting. I remember a few years back Ajax won the CL, was it around 1995?, with mostly home grown players. I would have thought that the OF teams, without the revenue of English clubs should follow this model. Surely for example Celtic must have a left back in youth team that would be worth investing in for the future rather than buying someone? Makes a lot of sense, produce stars, and then sell them on for a profit as you say Paul.

AHEM!

Who's been supplying the OF with most of the home grown talent for the past few years?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Blackjack wrote: »
    AHEM!

Who's been supplying the OF with most of the home grown talent for the past few years?

Don't be giving it the poor mouth you. You'd swear Hibs had given their players away for free the way yous go on. :) Hibs have done very well from their sales. No sympathy from me over the fact that you can't hold on to your best players.

And the way Hibs conducted themselves over the Fletcher transfer was pretty unprofessional if the media reports are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Whats the story with the big fight between Boruc and McGeady!? What the hell is going on?! Just read about it in papers... If true, Trouble just follows both these guys around, and Im inclined to believe it given their past...:eek::eek:

Exclusive: Gordon Strachan forced to act as peacemaker after Artur Boruc batters Celtic team-mate Aiden McGeady
    Feb 7 2009 By Keith Jackson

GORDON STRACHAN has averted a full-blown crisis from breaking out inside his dressing room - after goalkeeper Artur Boruc battered team-mate Aiden McGeady.

Record Sport can today reveal the astonishing events behind the scenes at the Lennoxtown HQ on Thursday when Boruc and McGeady clashed following a training ground bust-up.

Strachan's man-management skills were tested to the full by the flashpoint that left McGeady with facial injuries.

It's understood a row broke out between the pair during a session on the pitch.

Strachan tried to play the incident down yesterday as a run-of-the-mill argument but when the pair returned to the changing rooms Boruc laid midfielder McGeady out with two punches to the face.

The keeper's aggressive attitude shocked team-mates and coaching staff alike.

It was then that Strachan ordered both players into his office for showdown talks and managed to broker a peace deal that has stopped McGeady from demanding further punitive action.

Republic of Ireland star McGeady, who was suspended from the first team for two weeks and fined a fortnight's wages after an angry blast at his boss earlier this season, is believed to be happy with the way Strachan dealt with this latest flashpoint even if it means Boruc is spared similar hard-line punishment.

Strachan's ability to diffuse the row could play a major role in keeping his side on track for a fourth consecutive SPL crown.

Had Boruc been booted out of his first-team plans, he would have been sitting out next week's crucial Old Firm derby.

Both players are likely to start today's Scottish Cup clash with Queen's Park as Celtic continue their quest for the first ever domestic clean sweep under Strachan's leadership.

Shaun Maloney, missing for the last two months due to injury, could come back as Shunsuke Nakamura's replacement.

Strachan said: "I could be tempted to give Shaun some game time before the match against Rangers."

New signing Willo Flood is ineligible, having played for Dundee United in the Cup.

Barry Robson and Glenn Loovens are struggling with injury. Strachan revealed the Dutch defender's thigh problem stopped him allowing Darren O'Dea to go out on loan.

The boss said: "Darren is ready to be a first-team player but it would have been madness for me to let him go when we were affected by injury."

Strachan announced he has no interest in Ian Harte who pulled out of a move to St Mirren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Important Celtic game coming up against Rangers: check

Sensational reporting of a Celtic training ground bust up: check

Must be a Daily Record 'exclusive': check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Don't be giving it the poor mouth you. You'd swear Hibs had given their players away for free the way yous go on. :) Hibs have done very well from their sales. No sympathy from me over the fact that you can't hold on to your best players.

And the way Hibs conducted themselves over the Fletcher transfer was pretty unprofessional if the media reports are to be believed.

Cool your boots there Paulo - was just pointing out that this is not a new idea to the SPL.

I've not read about the media reports into the Flethcher affair - any links?.

Important Celtic game coming up against Rangers: check

Must be a Daily Record 'exclusive': check

So papers are not supposed to report when this sort of thing happens same as it was an alleged incident at inverness with the sectarian chanting even though the guy was found guilty take of the green tinted glasses mate your quick enough to point things out when it concerns Rangers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So papers are not supposed to report when this sort of thing happens same as it was an alleged incident at inverness with the sectarian chanting even though the guy was found guilty take of the green tinted glasses mate your quick enough to point things out when it concerns Rangers :rolleyes:

There is reporting and then there is sensationalist reporting. The exclusive by the DR falls into the sensationalist reporting. A training ground bust gets pride of place on the front page and the back page of the DR.

As regards your swipe at the sectarian singing issue. If you go to the post I was replying to (go on I dare you) you will find that the poster linked to a blog where alleged is used and posted no facts about the case. You came along later and reported that some of the guys were charged and convicted.

p1010288vy0.jpg
    w739.png

p1010289tu7.jpg
    w739.png

2egaa0j.gif

Blackjack wrote: »
    Cool your boots there Paulo - was just pointing out that this is not a new idea to the SPL.

I've not read about the media reports into the Flethcher affair - any links?.

All cool here. :cool: See smiley face, it was a tongue-in-cheek remark.

There is reporting and then there is sensationalist reporting. The exclusive by the DR falls into the sensationalist reporting. A training ground bust gets pride of place on the front page and the back page of the DR.

As regards your swipe at the sectarian singing issue. If you go to the post I was replying to (go on I dare you) you will find that the poster linked to a blog where alleged is used and posted no facts about the case. You came along later and reported that some of the guys were charged and convicted.

Feck sake are you some sort of wean (go on I dare you):pac:

The fact is when I posted it you in your green tinted glasses could not acknowledge you had got it wrong
    The fact is the guy got done named and shamed end of
    As for this fight at Celtic should it not be reported I am sure you are quite happy to see all of Rangers problems in the papers

yes it happens all the time in training but maybe not as severe as was reported because even if its 75% of the truth it was a nasty incident and if I was a tic fan(god forbid) it would concern me ;)

Its ok I get that rag here in Dun na nGall

Feck sake are you some a wean (go on I dare you):pac:

You probably have not even read the post that I was replying to and the linked blog
    yes it happens all the time in training but maybe not as severe as was reported because even if its 75% of the truth it was a nasty incident and if I was a tic fan(god forbid) it would concern me ;)

You think it is good reporting and not sensationalist?

You probably have not even read the post that I was replying to and the linked blog

You think it is good reporting and not sensationalist?

Did I say it was good reporting it is the Record for fecks sake but its not the only paper that has it granted not as sensationalised

Yes I have read the post you really should not presume what I am doing at my computer

So what is your beef with this then?

• Advertisement

So what is your beef with this then?

I don't have a beef with that I do have a problem with the fact you seem to get upset with the slightest reporting on anything untoward that happens at Celtic
    It would be great if the papers only reported on football matters but that aint going to happen as the idea is to sell papers and as much as I hate the Record it sells a hell of a lot

And before you ask yes I do buy it only because getting anything on Scottish football in the other papers over here is a joke

I buy it on a Saturday to do the £500 crossword

I have a beef with any newspaper sensationlising a minor story no matter who the story is relating to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

And before you ask yes I do buy it only because getting anything on Scottish football in the other papers over here is a joke
    get all your rankers news on hollow hollow, thats where i go when i want a laugh, and the huddleboard for all me celtic news :p

poindexter wrote: »
    get all your rankers news on hollow hollow, thats where i go when i want a laugh, and the huddleboard for all me celtic news :p

I would'nt lower myself to go on to FF mate have to much respect for myself there are other Gers forums out there:p

I buy it on a Saturday to do the £500 crossword

I have a beef with any newspaper sensationlising a minor story no matter who the story is relating to

Them again if what happened was in the dressing room who let the press know :p

• Advertisement

MON TEH HUPES

MON TEH HUPES

You must be delighted with your comprehensive win over the mighty Queen's Park!! Just reading the report online, the aul attendances at Celtic games home and away are falling off at a staggering rate... Will the OF game even sell out at this rate?!

You must be delighted with your comprehensive win over the mighty Queen's Park!! Just reading the report online, the aul attendances at Celtic games home and away are falling off at a staggering rate... Will the OF game even sell out at this rate?!
    what makes you think i am in any way delighted with the result??

i'm wondering what team it is you support? is there no forum for your team?? simple question is all.

with attendances falling off at a staggering rate, sure you might even get a ticket for the game in March when you're over the the rugby. aaaahhhhhhhhhh, you're a rugby fan who latches onto soccer games when it suits, is that it??? or a soccer fan who goes to rugby games to say you were there. how many uefa cup games were you at over the course of last season before winning tickets to the final???? i'm sure some of the rangers fans on here would have put said ticket to better use.

what makes you think i am in any way delighted with the result??

i'm wondering what team it is you support? is there no forum for your team?? simple question is all.

with attendances falling off at a staggering rate, sure you might even get a ticket for the game in March when you're over the the rugby. aaaahhhhhhhhhh, you're a rugby fan who latches onto soccer games when it suits, is that it??? or a soccer fan who goes to rugby games to say you were there. how many uefa cup games were you at over the course of last season before winning tickets to the final???? i'm sure some of the rangers fans on here would have put said ticket to better use.

Wow... quite a rant there poindexter!! How can I possibly follow those ramblings!? I would say I am fan of all sports, with soccer and rugby being my favourite two sports... Is this ok with you? I hope I am not breaking any protocols by being a fan of both games?

Hmm, as for the Uefa cup, I am happy to announce I was only at one game last year, the final. Do you feel I need to apologise for this?

The reason I thought you might be happy with the result, was your random posting about the 'hupes'! Its not ususual for a fan to express his happiness at a result on an internet forum when his/her team wins!

Yes I would hope to pick up a ticket for league cup final, if thats ok with your goodself? It is ok is it?

Anything else was there??!:p

Wow... quite a rant there poindexter!! How can I possibly follow those ramblings!? I would say I am fan of all sports, with soccer and rugby being my favourite two sports... Is this ok with you? I hope I am not breaking any protocols by being a fan of both games?

Hmm, as for the Uefa cup, I am happy to announce I was only at one game last year, the final. Do you feel I need to apologise for this?

The reason I thought you might be happy with the result, was your random posting about the 'hupes'! Its not ususual for a fan to express his happiness at a result on an internet forum when his/her team wins!

Yes I would hope to pick up a ticket for league cup final, if thats ok with your goodself? It is ok is it?

Anything else was there??!:p
    bravo. maybe i just find some of your inputs on this forum quite boring and tedious and don't imagine you having a problem with me asking the questions. who do you support again??

bravo. maybe i just find some of your inputs on this forum quite boring and tedious and don't imagine you having a problem with me asking the questions. who do you support again??

Finding it difficult to even support myself in these times! :)

Finding it difficult to even support myself in these times! :)
    :P

geeza job, yosserhughes csc#1

I think this is a brilliant photo - the way Maloney, McDonald and Hartley are looking over to see if anything kicks off is classic - especially Maloney:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2217637.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I think this is a brilliant photo - the way Maloney, McDonald and Hartley are looking over to see if anything kicks off is classic - especially Maloney:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/article2217637.ece

Shows a certain lack of trust in mcgeady the way they are watching him.

We all know he's got a mouth on him, and they will know he's the type of person to say something snyde to Boruc over the handshake.

heres hoping he's saving it for Sunday! :pac:

Lads, whats going on? More stuff on the McGeady Boruc brawl in the papers today? I thought we had seen the end of it? Its comedy gold reading about it, it really is.....

• Advertisement

You're really enjoying this a lot for a "neutral" Brewster. Sounds like you might need your tissues and a spare pair of jocks at the ready you're enjoying it so much.... :pac:

You're really enjoying this a lot for a "neutral" Brewster. Sounds like you might need your tissues and a spare pair of jocks at the ready you're enjoying it so much.... :pac:

Paulo, I would find any team mates in any sport, allegedly battering each other highly amusing! Im sorry, if two Rangers players were at it, it would be hilarious too! Not sure If I believe it to be honest though. What do you think? Ive said on here before that McGeady has a big mouth, most Celtic fans would accept this I feel, Boruc has also had his run ins and isnt the most mentally stable person on planet, so I dont know. Its possible I guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Poor Brewster! :D

Unfortunately in his case he proves the fact that in Glasgow, Nobody trusts a neutral! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I am very hopeful of a Celtic win sunday, Crosas and Brown should start and depending how Nakamura is after all the travelling him and mcgeady should also start. Willo Flood would be a very useful sub to bring on later in the game if needs be. Im saying 2-0 Celtic. :cool:

Badabing wrote: »
    I am very hopeful of a Celtic win sunday, Crosas and Brown should start and depending how Nakamura is after all the travelling him and mcgeady should also start. Willo Flood would be a very useful sub to bring on later in the game if needs be. Im saying 2-0 Celtic. :cool:

Nah think it will be 2-1 to the Gers hopefully young Fleck getting a run out.
    Oh and Mcgeady to walk :p

Aiden had a good 2nd half at least and was a big part of Ireland's comeback and win over Georgia, hopefully the way he left the park with his head held high will hold him in good stead for Sunday

Nah think it will be 2-1 to the Gers hopefully young Fleck getting a run out.
    Oh and Mcgeady to walk :p

I reckon you're right with 2-1, but the other way around. ;)

Delighted McGeady finally showed what he can do for Ireland the other night, was nice to see Souness and co. eating their words, even if they couldn't get his name right (McCreavy/McGedy). I think that performance will do him the world of good and I expect he'll play a stormer on Sunday.

Boruc - who knows. Everything is obviously not all well there, and we'll just have to hope he doesn't have a howler on Sunday. I'm worried about him, and also our lack of decent cover for the rest of this season.

A draw wouldn't be the end of the world, but a loss at home would be a big blow to the title hopes. I just don't think we'll lose a 2nd home game to Rangers though.

As for the team, I'd like to see this (depending on the condition of Naka and McDonald after their travels):

Boruc

-- Hinkel -- Caldwell -- McManus -- Naylor --

-- Naka --- Crosas --- Brown -- McGeady --

JVoH
    McDonald

I think McDonald is a cert to start given his recent good form. Samaras has to be on the bench given his recent crap form. It's between either JVoH or Maloney to support McDonald I reckon. Would like to see Flood on for a bit if things are going to plan. Robson and Hartley on the bench.

As for the team, I'd like to see this (depending on the condition of Naka and McDonald after their travels):

Boruc

JVoH
    McDonald

I think McDonald is a cert to start given his recent good form. Samaras has to be on the bench given his recent crap form. It's between either JVoH or Maloney to support McDonald I reckon. Would like to see Flood on for a bit if things are going to plan. Robson and Hartley on the bench.
    MON TEH HUPES

• Advertisement

May the best team win! Hard one to call this... Think Robson would be a better bet than Nakamura, extra dig in midfield. Ill sit on the fence and go for the draw!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Boruc

JVoH
    McDonald

Maloney's hamstrings have crapped out, again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Crosas and Brown should definitely start and most likely will start. Then you have McGeady. I think adding Naka is just too lightweight for this game. Robson has been in poor form recently so there's a chance Willo Flood might come straight in to add the bit of bite in midfield.

/edit - you're not serious about Maloney? :( Bollox!

I don't think it would be good to start Flood in a game like this, nor do I think there's a chance it will happen.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Maloney's hamstrings have crapped out, again!

Got to be honest and say I hope he can't play against us always feel he can be dangerous :p

Got to be honest and say I hope he can't play against us always feel he can be dangerous :p

I'm just glad Ratboy is unavailable for you lot. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm just glad Ratboy is unavailable for you lot. :D

I think you'll find that Barry Ferguson is available :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Huge game for ye tomorrow, best of luck.

Just saw Eirebhoy's posting of the probable team for tomorrow in the match thread:
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Celtic (4-4-2):

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Caldwell --- McManus --- Naylor
    McGeady --- Crosas --- Brown --- Robson
    McDonald --- Vennegoor

and I was looking at it and wondering how many of those guys would have been good enough to command a place in the side that got to the UEFA Cup final in Seville:

Douglas

Mjällby
    Balde
    Valgaeren--

Agathe
    Thompson

Lennon
    Lambert (C)
    Petrov

Sutton
    Larsson

Subs:

Laursen
    McNamara
    Maloney

Any opinions?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Huge game for ye tomorrow, best of luck.

Just saw Eirebhoy's posting of the probable team for tomorrow in the match thread:

and I was looking at it and wondering how many of those guys would have been good enough to command a place in the side that got to the UEFA Cup final in Seville:

Douglas

Mjällby
    Balde
    Valgaeren--

Agathe
    Thompson

Lennon
    Lambert (C)
    Petrov

Sutton
    Larsson

Subs: