Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    and I was looking at it and wondering how many of those guys would have been good enough to command a place in the side that got to the UEFA Cup final in Seville:

Douglas

Mjällby
    Balde
    Valgaeren--

Agathe
    Thompson

Lennon
    Lambert (C)
    Petrov

Sutton
    Larsson

Subs:

Laursen
    McNamara
    Maloney

Any opinions?
    From that team Boruc for Douglas, Naka for Agathe, Maloney for Thompson, Brown for Lennon. My opinion only. The only controversial one there would be Maloney but I rate him highly. Probably along with Brown as Scotland's 2 best players. Although taking Agathe out makes the team too attacking.

Come to think of it I don't think there's much between Joos and McManus. I think McManus is better beside better players and I'd love to see him beside Mjallby and Bobo.

Naka in that team ahead of McGeady for similar reasons. He plays better with better players and would thrive alongside Lambert, Brown, Petrov and Maloney.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I don't think it would be good to start Flood in a game like this, nor do I think there's a chance it will happen.
    Told ya he might! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

I don't think it would be good to start Flood in a game like this, nor do I think there's a chance it will happen.
    you sure about that??

this is the least excited i've been about a game v the forces of darkness in a long time. got to pick it up today Celtic, and wi the few changes WGS has made he's showing that no ones place in the team is guaranteed, though i do wish marc crosas was playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

As long as Hartley remains out of the starting 11 I'm confident in Brown, Crosas, McGeady, Maloney and Naka. I think that's too good a midfield not to win this league.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't think Hartley did much wrong yesterday Eirebhoy in fairness. I'd have liked Crosas to start though, but Strachan obviously has his ideas how we should line up against Rangers. As for Brown, Crosas, Naka, Maloney and McGeady, yes on paper that's a strong midfield but we just haven't seen enough consistency this season from any of them really. Injuries have been the major factor for Crosas and Maloney, but Brown, Naka and to a certain extent McGeady haven't been as good as they all can be for enough of the time.

Anyway the midfield is a moot point if the strikers can't score. Samaras and JVoH are just rank rotten at the moment. These guys are the real concern rather than midfield. Samaras last scored on the 3rd of Jan - we're now mid-way through February. Can't remember when JVoH last scored. That's where our real problem lies.

As for the league, it's anyone's at the moment. All I know is that we have to try to be at least 3 points ahead of them before our trip to Mordor. I think if we drop points in the next few games we are well and truly bolixed.

I don't think Hartley did much wrong yesterday Eirebhoy in fairness.
    Again thought Paulo. He came into the game in the 2nd half and was probably our best player in the 2nd half. Our best player when the opposition are mainly dominating which is often the case. Here's some stats from domestic games before Queens Park and Rangers games;

Games Hartley started:

Played: 14 (9 at home)
    Goals scored: 26
    Goals conceded: 15
    Win-draw-lose: 9-3-2
    Average Possession: 56.1%
    Average Total shots: 12.3
    Average On Target: 6.5

Games Hartley Didn't start:

Played: 14 (5 at home)
    Goals scored: 35
    Goals conceded: 14
    Win-draw-lose: 12-1-1
    Average Possession: 58.8%
    Average Total shots: 15
    Average On Target: 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Well men, the game ended in a draw as many on here predicted. I didnt see game as I was in Rome cheering on boys in green, fair result by all accounts.

Paul, Celtic are strong favourites for title IMHO. Do you honestly give Rangers a chance? Why would you be fearful of going to Ibrox and needing to be 3 points ahead when you won there a few weeks ago??

Anyone else fed up hearing the poor match on Sunday was a sign of the times, in terms of spending power? It's arguably Strachan's strongest squad of players since he took over and Rangers have probably their strongest squad in that time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Anyone else fed up hearing the poor match on Sunday was a sign of the times, in terms of spending power? It's arguably Strachan's strongest squad of players since he took over and Rangers have probably their strongest squad in that time too.

At the end of the day it was an awful game off football but it happens time to move on what I find really funny on other forums are the fans of your Falkirks, St Midden ect whining about it :pac:

• Advertisement

I liked Naka's take on the game:

"We played well in the first half but they dominated the second half. We just couldn't pass the ball around well enough.

"Everyone has to move more during the game. The first half was fine but we just didn't keep things tight enough in the second half and we have to modify that."

Spain were a joy to watch on Wednesday with their movement in midfield. 4 central midfielders in the team but they had the intelligence to know where and when to move.

As I said in the match thread, when Celtic don't have the ball Hartley is literally walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I think we can improve alot in europe if Crosas and Brown play in midfield with Mgceady and Maloney also, we have to sort our away form out once and for all, i also don't think jvoh has another full season left in him if we offer him another year, he is very slow and laboured.

Badabing wrote: »
    I think we can improve alot in europe if Crosas and Brown play in midfield with Mgceady and Maloney also
    I'm praying to the heavens that Crosas succeeds. I'm not bothered about Naka leaving if Crosas can make that position his own at all levels. I'm more than happy to have McGeady and Maloney on the wings.

As for Jan. He's playing as a target man when he's actually not that dominant in the air. When Maloney gets back into the team we'll probably see the best of Jan. Maloney likes to play the ball to Jan's feet. He's the perfect guy to play a 1-2 with so I wish McGeady would do that more often.

I watched the reserves against Hibs yesterday and McCourt was absolutely brilliant.

Someone uploaded his goals:
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=73fbeg&s=5

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I watched the reserves against Hibs yesterday and McCourt was absolutely brilliant.

Someone uploaded his goals:
    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=73fbeg&s=5

Brilliant, great to see. How do Celtic fans see him? Do they think he should be given a run in the first team now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

what a poor pitch, good chance for mcdonald early on, fancy a 2-0 win.

That's the first time in a long time I've felt hard done by with a Celtic result. Thought they passed the ball very well today on that disgrace of a pitch. Chase for the title is well and truly on now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    Paul, Celtic are strong favourites for title IMHO. Do you honestly give Rangers a chance? Why would you be fearful of going to Ibrox and needing to be 3 points ahead when you won there a few weeks ago??

Do I still need to explain this? We've blown it, we blew it a while ago. Something is seriously wrong with Celtic, and at this stage, I'm pointing the finger firmly at the manager.

Totally unsurprised we drew today. Was surprised we scored actually, but I suppose McDonald is always good for a goal v. Motherwell.

Brown and McDonald were the only two who looked like they wanted to win today. Caldwell did ok also, aside from those 3 I thought we were very poor.

Have we stopped paying Samaras and JVoH or something? :confused:

Add the last two results to the list I posted at the start of the month:
    I took down our last 8 league results - not pretty reading:

7/12/08 - Lost (2-0 Hibs)
    13/12/08 - Drew (1-1 Hearts)
    21/12/08 - Won (0-3 Falkirk)
    27/12/08 - Won (0-1 Rangers)
    3/1/09 - Drew (2-2 Dundee Utd)
    18/1/09 - Lost (4-2 Sheep)
    24/1/09 - Won (3-1 Hibs)
    2/2/09 - Drew (0-0 ICT)

3 wins from 8 games. 24 points available, 12 taken. Not championship winning results tbh.

15/2/09 - Drew (0-0 Rangers)
    22/2/09 - Drew (1-1 Motherwell)

So now 3 wins from 10. 30 points available, 14 taken. Shockingly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am raging at the fact we are throwing the league as well as how ****e and toothless Strachan has made Celtic.

Poll on the Huddleboard

nonameb.jpg
    w1263.png

• Advertisement

Talk about an over reaction!?! You are level with Rangers for crying out loud. Why the panic? You have a better squad than Rangers and there are 12 games to go. Granted, Celtic have let Rangers back into title race which is great for the neutrals but id still make Celtic favourites. What are bookies saying?

This stage last year, I remember Celtic being a good few points behind Rangers and we all know what happened!

I watched bits of the game today, that Hesslink and Samaras are awful players. What would Celtic fans give to have a free scoring Kenny Miller in their side now? All that Samaras lad does is fall about like a diving gypsy... Hes a mercenary, will never be good enough for Celtic football club. That Hesslink lad is truly awful, all he does is foul from what I could see??

What would Celtic fans give to have a free scoring Kenny Miller in their side now?

Have I been whooooooshed???? :D

Have I been whooooooshed???? :D

??????????????:confused:

??????????????:confused:

Sorry I didn't think you were being serious about Kenny Miller. Eh.... no, I don't think he would be the solution to our problems.

By the way, when are you going to admit you have more than a small fondness for Rangers? All this "neutral" stuff is getting tiresome. I don't see the problem with just admitting it tbh.

Talk about an over reaction!?! You are level with Rangers for crying out loud. Why the panic? You have a better squad than Rangers and there are 12 games to go. Granted, Celtic have let Rangers back into title race which is great for the neutrals but id still make Celtic favourites. What are bookies saying?

This stage last year, I remember Celtic being a good few points behind Rangers and we all know what happened!

I watched bits of the game today, that Hesslink and Samaras are awful players. What would Celtic fans give to have a free scoring Kenny Miller in their side now? All that Samaras lad does is fall about like a diving gypsy... Hes a mercenary, will never be good enough for Celtic football club. That Hesslink lad is truly awful, all he does is foul from what I could see??

Miller? get a grip on yourself. If you believe GS is a good manager then explain why he bought JVoH and Samaras and then punted Miller? You denigrate Celtic fans for having issues with the way Celtic play and their manager. You come across all pompous as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit: I'm a little drunk.....I do apologise!

• Advertisement

No need, at least you are honest about your support for TFoD

Sorry I didn't think you were being serious about Kenny Miller. Eh.... no, I don't think he would be the solution to our problems.

By the way, when are you going to admit you have more than a small fondness for Rangers? All this "neutral" stuff is getting tiresome. I don't see the problem with just admitting it tbh.

Of course I was being serious? Celtic have two strikers on their books that cant score goals, one is Hesslink and the other is Samaras. Ill ask question another way then, do you believe both Samaras and Hesslink will score more league goals between now and end of season than Kenny Miller? In my opinion, and based solely on current form, I dont believe they will. If you dont believe they will, then youd be better off with Kenny Miller in your team. Time will tell....

Paulo, Ive no problem admitting I have a fondness for Rangers. They are a super club with a magnificent set of supporters as I found out last season at Uefa cup final. Like a decent number Irish people, I have a fondness for them. I never said I didnt??? That doesnt mean Im an ardent fan, who sleeps and breaths for team.

I also have a fondness for Celtic, it is possible to appreciate both clubs. At the end of the day, I dont really care who wins the league, however, its turning into a fascinating battle.

Miller? get a grip on yourself. If you believe GS is a good manager then explain why he bought JVoH and Samaras and then punted Miller? You denigrate Celtic fans for having issues with the way Celtic play and their manager. You come across all pompous as well.

Thats a ridiculous argument. Really shows your lack of appreciation for managers, and the pressure they are under to run football clubs. Strachan is a top class manager, and maybe whens hes gone will Celtic fans will fully appreciate what he did for team. Did Sir Alex, the great man, become a bad manager when he signed Kleberson and Djemba Djemba? Did he heck! It happens in football all the time, Hesslink scored some crucial goals for Celtic, however he is coming to end of his career. Ill say the same thing to you, Kenny Miller will score more goals than Hesslink between now and end of season. Wait and see... Now, regardless of where title ends up, I really hope I am proven correct in my assertion.

Seeing as Kenny Miller is such an awful International player, would Celtic fans swap Hesslink and Samaras for Kris Boyd and team him up front with McDonald for rest of season. I know this is all conjecture and will obviously never happen, however, its nice to get an inside on your thoughts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Thats a ridiculous argument. Really shows your lack of appreciation for managers, and the pressure they are under to run football clubs. Strachan is a top class manager, and maybe whens hes gone will Celtic fans will fully appreciate what he did for team. Did Sir Alex, the great man, become a bad manager when he signed Kleberson and Djemba Djemba? Did he heck! It happens in football all the time, Hesslink scored some crucial goals for Celtic, however he is coming to end of his career. Ill say the same thing to you, Kenny Miller will score more goals than Hesslink between now and end of season. Wait and see... Now, regardless of where title ends up, I really hope I am proven correct in my assertion.

LOL thanks for brightning up my Monday morning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Paulo, Ive no problem admitting I have a fondness for Rangers. They are a super club with a magnificent set of supporters as I found out last season at Uefa cup final. Like a decent number Irish people, I have a fondness for them. I never said I didnt??? That doesnt mean Im an ardent fan, who sleeps and breaths for team..

At long last!!!!! Maybe you'll quit with the "as a neutral" stuff in your posts now?
    I also have a fondness for Celtic, it is possible to appreciate both clubs. At the end of the day, I dont really care who wins the league, however, its turning into a fascinating battle.

Sorry, I just don't believe that. You regularily berate Celtic and their players, while you don't do the same with Rangers and their players. You say you believe Celtic are favourites to win the league (even though we still have to play in Ibrox, and we're down on goal difference), yet you've just said two of our main strikers are "a diving gypsy" and a guy who does "nothing but foul", and are now hinting that we'd be delighted to have Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd.

Fascinating battle, neutral, don't care who wins etc.. Aye right Bluester. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

now i know you're at the madam, what makes you think that??? maybe he will replace benitez in the summer then, surely he belongs at a big club down south. as for JVOH coming to the end of his career, no quite yet

At long last!!!!! Maybe you'll quit with the "as a neutral" stuff in your posts now?

Sorry, I just don't believe that. You regularily berate Celtic and their players, while you don't do the same with Rangers and their players. You say you believe Celtic are favourites to win the league (even though we still have to play in Ibrox, and we're down on goal difference), yet you've just said two of our main strikers are "a diving gypsy" and a guy who does "nothing but foul", and are now hinting that we'd be delighted to have Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd.

Fascinating battle, neutral, don't care who wins etc.. Aye right Bluester. :rolleyes:

Whatever! We had this discussion before and I was accused of not having a sense of humour! I do not and never have berated Celtic on this board. Please re-read my posts if you have any doubt. I have praised Celtic on occasions, the only problem I have with Celtic is some of their idiot fans.

In relation to Hesslink, your the very person who believes Celtic have stopped paying them. I was simply adding my tuppounce worth. I simply asked if youd swap players for the run in? Wheres the harm in that? Am I wrong in my assertions about Hesslink and Samaras? Truthfully. What did either do in game yesterday?

I have praised real players like Barry Robson for Celtic, re read my posts. Guys who will give everything for the jersey, they are the type of players I like. So this propoganda that I do nothing but criticise Celtic and their players is utter nonsense Paulo.

So just because I criticise Samaras, I have no respect for Celtic?? Dont talk nonsense.

Yes I believe Celtic are favourites for title. Do u honestly believe they are not? What are bookies saying? They have players who know what its like to win league. Do you honestly think Rangers are going to win league? Seriously? Am I not entitled to my opinion?

LOL thanks for brightning up my Monday morning :rolleyes:

Strachan is a top class manager and history will prove it. If he takes so much criticism after winning league for three years on trot, id hate to see your reaction towards him if somehow Rangers did win the title!

What does the guy have to do? Is it really his fault that Celtic are dropping points at the moment? I dont believe so for a minute. A manager can only do so much. Criticising him in the way you do is disgusting in my opinion, your anger would be better and more fairly vented on Hesslink and Samaras.

Strachan is a top class manager and history will prove it. If he takes so much criticism after winning league for three years on trot, id hate to see your reaction towards him if somehow Rangers did win the title!

What does the guy have to do? Is it really his fault that Celtic are dropping points at the moment? I dont believe so for a minute. A manager can only do so much. Criticising him in the way you do is disgusting in my opinion, your anger would be better and more fairly vented on Hesslink and Samaras.

Well putting hes best 11 on the field would be a start and who signed the two above players??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I am raging at the fact we are throwing the league as well as how ****e and toothless Strachan has made Celtic.

Poll on the Huddleboard

nonameb.jpg
    w1263.png

In fairness, the huddleboard is full of idiots

If you sack a 3 in a row manger now, you might as well pay for the taxi fare for the trophy to ibrox aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

totally agreed dempsey. how so many people could see fit to sack him now is quite funny. incredibly idiotic and insane in my honest opinion.

to be honest ive never been the biggest fan of strachan, he annoys me sometimes but what a lot of people dont realise is the pressure and responsibilty that comes with being at a club like Celtic. as ive said before im mates with Darren O' Dea and i remember a chat i had with him a while back. i was asking him is it not great going out and winning most games relatively easily. his response was interesting, he said it was so so hard, he could play well but if a little mistake is made at a club like this it is blown out of proportion.

all supporters are completely entitled to their opinion, since without the supporters the club obviosly wouldnt be what they are, but sometimes u have to trust the board and manager. if all these fans think they know it all, why arent they a manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world. gordon didnt get there by being a bad manager, he must have done a lot right along the way.

ideally id like to see gordon walk away with his held head high 'after we win' the title, and at that stage a fresh face brought in.

so get behind the team and manager, the last thing they need is their support booing them, theres a time and place for that, and the time aint now.

Jesus christ, Brewster doesn't claim to be a neutral does he? :D:D

Anyway on Strachan. I'm as close to sitting on the fence as you can get really. He took over after losing the league by 1 point in the previous season to then finish 18 points ahead of Rangers. That was some achievement. But we certainly haven't stepped up a level since then. Rangers have. The majority of their first team would be premiership standard players, certainly in their midfield. Smith has managed to improve them considerably in a short space of time.

I'm delighted with our midfield options but that's really as far as it goes. Up front and at the back definitely needs to be strengthened. Strachan has to stop worrying about the likes of Dundee Utd and worry about his own team. We shouldn't have to drop good players to match teams like that.

It's your midfielders that get you playing football and with the midfielders we have the football should be a lot better. I wouldn't mind a new manager coming in the summer. Someone that isn't so obsessed with the 1 formation. I know he's probably leaving in the summer but a manager that played our most talented player in the position he dominates for Japan.

Seriously,
    Maloney --- Naka --- McGeady
    Crosas ---- Brown

That could have done a lot of damage in the league this season. We saw that system against Villarreal and it worked very well but Strachan feels he has to go back to 2 strikers in the league.

So give me a manager that would focus on the good football more than anything. I've realised that I actually do prefer good football, that's appreciated, over results. Genuinely.

/edit - what really changes my opinion of Strachan is that he previously wanted us playing good football and he tried to have us playing that way. These days that's the least of his worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

You must have loved the Tommy Burns Team of 1996 then :) In fairness Celtic had a good team then and just had too many draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So give me a manager that would focus on the good football more than anything. I've realised that I actually do prefer good football, that's appreciated, over results. Genuinely.

Gimme results and winning titles anyday over opinion of whats good football to watch

• Advertisement

Well surprise surprise, Celtic still favourites for title with the bookies! So im not the only one who thinks Celtic are favourites Paulo! Have some of the Celtic fans had a few slices of reality pie during the afternoon?! Some of the earlier posts on here about Strachan were ridiculous while there were a few sane posts this avo! Eirebear must be laughing his head off in fairness reading some of your nonsense!

Getting rid of Strachan now after what he has done for the club is madness. How fickle some of these so called fans are. The guy won them the league last year when alot of Celtic fans had given up on title, yet when they are level with 12 games to go he should be sacked! If they werent so serious, it would actually be comical. Its unreal, it really is.

Would you get behind your team and support them to four in a row instead of bashing your manager. From someone on the outside looking in, its appalling. Guys like Caldwell, Brown, McManus, Robson real Celtic players, proper footballers need your support. (You see Paulo, I dont bash all Celtic players, just the idiot ones- Boruc, big mouth McGeady, and lately Hesslink and Samaras!)

Well surprise surprise, Celtic still favourites for title with the bookies! So im not the only one who thinks Celtic are favourites Paulo! Have some of the Celtic fans had a few slices of reality pie during the afternoon?! Some of the earlier posts on here about Strachan were ridiculous while there were a few sane posts this avo! Eirebear must be laughing his head off in fairness reading some of your nonsense!

I'm not concerned about what odds the bookies are offering. 14 points from 30 is what I see, week after week of points being dropped, and two key strikers just not doing it. I don't want Strachan gone now as that would be pointless, but I think the end of this season is the right time for him to move on. I don't think there's anything nonsensical about any of that, and I couldn't care less who laughs their heads off at what. This is a Celtic thread for discussion about Celtic. People have different views and all are welcomed. You have a view of Strachan as a "neutral" which is obvious by the "he's a great guy", "he's funny", "history will show" etc. stuff you spout - most of the others posting have a view of him as the manager of the team they support, a team they have high expectations of in the SPL, a team which is chasing a title and not currently getting wins against teams with a fraction of their resources.
    Getting rid of Strachan now after what he has done for the club is madness. How fickle some of these so called fans are. The guy won them the league last year when alot of Celtic fans had given up on title, yet when they are level with 12 games to go he should be sacked! If they werent so serious, it would actually be comical. Its unreal, it really is.

Strachan has done some good things with Celtic, there's no doubt. But if you think Strachan is soley responsible for winning the last three league titles you are sadly mistaken. Rangers crumbling to pieces under McLeish and then the PLG fiasco certainly helped our cause. Last season they were sailing towards the league title and blew it. Not to take away from a stunning end to the season for Celtic with what... 7 straight wins - which is a great achievement given the pressure, but Rangers blew it big style.

We have regressed, and that's the thing that is a serious issue. Last season, we'd have won games like yesterday with a late goal. I lost count of the amount of late goals we'd get. Credit to Strachan for that, there was a never-give-up attitude there. But if he gets the credit for that, he has to take the responsibility for when it goes wrong.
    Would you get behind your team and support them to four in a row instead of bashing your manager. From someone on the outside looking in, its appalling. Guys like Caldwell, Brown, McManus, Robson real Celtic players, proper footballers need your support. (You see Paulo, I dont bash all Celtic players, just the idiot ones- Boruc, big mouth McGeady, and lately Hesslink and Samaras!)

I know you probably don't mean to, but you come across incredibly patronising in a lot of your posts. Like this "would you get behind your team" stuff. Give it a rest ffs, of course we're behind the team. And two of those idiots you list are two of our best players by they way. Do you pick and choose who you support when you watch Utd play based on whether you think they're an idiot or not?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Gimme results and winning titles anyday over opinion of whats good football to watch
    We finished 2nd in the CL group last season and I don't think we would have been seen as a good team. I'd rather be seen as a good football team. Results will come with that obviously. Getting to the last 16 for two years in a row hasn't changed people thinking we're a poor team. I'd like the players to do themselves justice like they did in the Villarreal game. The likes of Villarreal and Benfica looked like good teams when they played Man Utd but we embaras ourselves a lot against them looking like a championship side playing them in an fa cup tie.

And hasn't the great feeling after success got to do with what others are thinking of us? It's the same with any award or prize. Don't get me wrong, if we were supporting a team of poor standard I'd happily play crap football to get results against the best. But it's Celtic and we've an excellent first choice midfield which I'd like to see do themselves justice.

I'm not concerned about what odds the bookies are offering. 14 points from 30 is what I see, week after week of points being dropped, and two key strikers just not doing it. I don't want Strachan gone now as that would be pointless, but I think the end of this season is the right time for him to move on. I don't think there's anything nonsensical about any of that, and I couldn't care less who laughs their heads off at what. This is a Celtic thread for discussion about Celtic. People have different views and all are welcomed. You have a view of Strachan as a "neutral" which is obvious by the "he's a great guy", "he's funny", "history will show" etc. stuff you spout - most of the others posting have a view of him as the manager of the team they support, a team they have high expectations of in the SPL, a team which is chasing a title and not currently getting wins against teams with a fraction of their resources.

Strachan has done some good things with Celtic, there's no doubt. But if you think Strachan is soley responsible for winning the last three league titles you are sadly mistaken. Rangers crumbling to pieces under McLeish and then the PLG fiasco certainly helped our cause. Last season they were sailing towards the league title and blew it. Not to take away from a stunning end to the season for Celtic with what... 7 straight wins - which is a great achievement given the pressure, but Rangers blew it big style.

We have regressed, and that's the thing that is a serious issue. Last season, we'd have won games like yesterday with a late goal. I lost count of the amount of late goals we'd get. Credit to Strachan for that, there was a never-give-up attitude there. But if he gets the credit for that, he has to take the responsibility for when it goes wrong.

I know you probably don't mean to, but you come across incredibly patronising in a lot of your posts. Like this "would you get behind your team" stuff. Give it a rest ffs, of course we're behind the team. And two of those idiots you list are two of our best players by they way. Do you pick and choose who you support when you watch Utd play based on whether you think they're an idiot or not?

Thanks Paulo, good post, points well made. I did get the impression on here yesterday that the mood in the camp was Strachan must go, you rightly acknowledge that getting rid of him now would be madness.

I do accept the point that the manager carries the can, he takes the praise when things are going well and has to take criticism when things go wrong. Im not saying for a minute Strachan should be absolved of all blame, I just feel that you guys dont give him the praise he deserves. Its a genuinely difficult one to call re Samaras and Hesslink, can the manager be blamed for their poor form? To a degree, I would say yes, but I am a firm believer that once players cross the line its up to them. Im not being criticial of Celtic players cos I prefer Rangers, I just felt on Sunday Samaras was an excuse of a footballer and should be not wear the jersey again. Surely there is someone else that would deserve a shot at playing up front with McDonald, who incidently is another favourite player of mine. Hes gives his all, but hes clearly getting no help from his partners.

I do not mean to be patronising, my apologies. Two of my best friends support either side of OF and theres where my interest stems from, its very interesting in listening to them both at times!

Guys like Caldwell, Brown, McManus, Robson real Celtic players, proper footballers need your support. (You see Paulo, I dont bash all Celtic players, just the idiot ones- Boruc, big mouth McGeady, and lately Hesslink and Samaras!)

Is it just a coincedence that you name four Scottish players as 'proper players' and four non-scots as idiots :rolleyes:

Is it just a coincedence that you name four Scottish players as 'proper players' and four non-scots as idiots :rolleyes:

Eh? I think the prize for the most senseless post of the week goes to Premierstone! Can anyone enlighten me as to what Premierstone is getting at? In my last post, I added McDonald, a non-scot, to the list of my favourite Celtic players which only has me questioning the post even more! Hmmm:confused::confused::eek:

Eh? I think the prize for the most senseless post of the week goes to Premierstone! Can anyone enlighten me as to what Premierstone is getting at? In my last post, I added McDonald, a non-scot, to the list of my favourite Celtic players which only has me questioning the post even more! Hmmm:confused::confused::eek:

So your trying to tell me in your unbiased (:D) opinion Caldwell and Mcmanus are more valuable members of the Celtic squad than Boruc and McGeadey, seriously do you do stand up u cud make a fortune maybe you could have WGS as your sidekick :rolleyes:

So your trying to tell me in your unbiased (:D) opinion Caldwell and Mcmanus are more valuable members of the Celtic squad than Boruc and McGeadey, seriously do you do stand up u cud make a fortune maybe you could have WGS as your sidekick :rolleyes:

I think you need to go back and re-read my posts premierstone, can you please highlight where I said McManus and Caldwell were more valuable members of the Celtic squad than Boruc or McGeady? Oh... thats right.. I didn't! I wasnt referring to their ability, I was simply saying I didnt like Boruc and McGeady for obvious reasons and I think Samaras is a waste of a jersey if his performance on Sunday was anything to go by. Regular Celtic fans on this board, have been first in queue in criticise him in recent times. So what on earth you are talking about is anyboy's guess?! Ill accept your apology though...

Maybe you think I have a love of all things Scottish?! Is that it?!?! Feck me, Ive no idea!

• Advertisement

Maybe you think I have a love of all things Scottish?! Is that it?!?! Feck me, Ive no idea!

Finally we can agree on something :p

I blame myself for rising to your bait I wont make that mistake again as your quite clearly a WUM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement