Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Been on The Huddleboard for over six years. Best Celtic fans forum imo. Anything goes and great political discussions as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As expected. Team:

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Caldwell --- McManus --- Naylor
    Crosas

Naka ---- Brown
    McGeady --
    McDonald --- Samaras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Been on The Huddleboard for over six years. Best Celtic fans forum imo. Anything goes and great political discussions as well.

Let me guess, republican politics? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

eirebhoy wrote: »
    As expected. Team:

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Caldwell --- McManus --- Naylor
    Crosas

Naka ---- Brown
    McGeady --
    McDonald --- Samaras

O'Dea actually in for Naylor,
    Celts running amuck after 7mins

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    O'Dea actually in for Naylor,
    Celts running amuck after 7mins
    Sorry must have posted that without thinking. :)

Celtic should easily have been 3 or 4 up before Killie scored. It's great watching us play with Crosas in the team. I'm worried we'll concede again but there's no way we won't score another 1 or 2.....

getting worried now, quarter of an hour left. playing well and deserve a winner. hoping things stay as they are at ibrox.

samaras has been muck tonight, id get him off for someone, maybe ben hutchinson, altough he hasnt done much yet, have to start somewhere...tonight please ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

getting worried now, quarter of an hour left. playing well and deserve a winner. hoping things stay as they are at ibrox.

samaras has been muck tonight, id get him off for someone, maybe ben hutchinson, altough he hasnt done much yet, have to start somewhere...tonight please ben

2-1 sellik now.

Rangers lacking any form of urgency whatsoever.

well there you go lads.

Un-****ing-believable.

YES!!!

Oh the relief.

Not only do Rangers lose but they'll have to do without Weir for a game or 2 (how many is it?).

Absolutely brilliant 2nd goal from McDonald. He was definitely motm with Crosas playing very, very well too.

Delighted. Yes!

• Advertisement

YES!!!

Oh the relief.

Not only do Rangers lose but they'll have to do without Weir for a game or 2 (how many is it?).

Absolutely brilliant 2nd goal from McDonald. He was definitely motm with Crosas playing very, very well too.

Delighted. Yes!

probably 1 it wasnt violent conduct....may be two if he is over the penalty points threshold though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Great game! Naka and Brown magnificent in the second half and Skippy with 2 great goals. The face on Gus Mcpherson was a joy to behold:)

Badabing wrote: »
    Great game! Naka and Brown magnificent in the second half and Skippy with 2 great goals. The face on Gus Mcpherson was a joy to behold:)
    Naka's been in brilliant form since given a more central role for the Rangers game. I pray now he stays because everybody knows by now how highly I rate our 5 first choice midfielders and I'd really love the chance to see them play in Europe and finally do themselves justice.

Can't believe Crosas is so young. He's playing the most important and influential position in the team. A position that takes years and years for some players to master. And he plays it so well. He already makes decisions quicker than Donati imo and certainly makes better decisions than Donati. Crosas, Naka and Maloney are the 3 players I'd trust more than any at Celtic to do the right thing with the ball. Brown is close to that level of thought too imo.

Skippy's 2nd:
    http://h1.ripway.com/kds/Skippy2-1.wmv

eirebhoy do you know situation with Crosas contract? can he go back to Barca if they offer so much

Badabing wrote: »
    eirebhoy do you know situation with Crosas contract? can he go back to Barca if they offer so much
    If Barca bid €2m for him in the summer of 2010 (I think that's the only window) then we have no choice but to except. It'll then be his choice whether he stays or goes so if they're thinking of just signing him to make a quick profit I couldn't see him leaving us. I also couldn't see Barca doing that. If they buy him back they'll give him a fair chance in their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

And some people tried to tell me Rangers were favourites for league, talking about having to go to Ibrox, massive GD advantage etc etc etc... My A! Celtic are and always were firm favourites for league, even more so now!!

• Advertisement

If Barca bid €2m for him in the summer of 2010 (I think that's the only window) then we have no choice but to except. It'll then be his choice whether he stays or goes so if they're thinking of just signing him to make a quick profit I couldn't see him leaving us. I also couldn't see Barca doing that. If they buy him back they'll give him a fair chance in their team.

Thanks for that, by that stage he'll be first choice in the midfield and hopefully turning it on in the Champ league and possibly a Spain call up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Very enjoyable game to watch, not often I say that. First half hour was excellent from Celtic, should have been 3 up. Took the foot off the pedal a bit after that, but overall a great performance.

Only downside was awful defending for Kilmarnock's goal - wish they'd sort that out. Invincible had acres of space.

McDonald proving once again that he's Strachan's best bit of business in the transfer windows. Not far off one tenth the price of a Loovens, and a quality striker. Feel sorry for Samaras now, he worked hard tonight but still lacks the finish he had before he was injured. His confidence has suffered greatly.

Agree that the midfield was very good tonight. Full marks to all of them, they dictated the game for the most part. Some excellent passing football, especially in the first half. Really good to see what they can do.

Only downsides: could have scored a couple more, but I'm not going to be greedy. ;) Credit to Combe, he was on top form. The goal difference (difference) was 10 just a few days ago, it's now down to two. The other thing is I feel Brown is starting to slip into his old habits of losing the temper a bit, we've only 10 games left and could do without him being suspended. Usually these suspensions happen at the worst time - like Ibrox - so I hope he calms the jets a bit. He was class otherwise tonight.

Oh and as for results elsewhere, thanks Terry! I didn't see that one coming.... :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    And some people tried to tell me Rangers were favourites for league, talking about having to go to Ibrox, massive GD advantage etc etc etc... My A! Celtic are and always were firm favourites for league, even more so now!!

Aye right. And what would you have said had Rangers pumped ICT tonight (as most would have expected them to do)?

This league is far from over. I still don't think we're playing well enough to beat Rangers in Ibrox. Assuming nothing changed between now and then, they'd be back on top after that, and we'd be a lot closer to season end at that stage.

We took 1 point off them at home in 2 matches, and a piece of brilliance from McDonald gave us the points in Ibrox. I honestly can't believe we're favourites even after tonight.

Aye, the buy back clause can only be activated in the summer of 2010 and Crosas has to agree personal terms

Also, if Celtic keep him, Barcelona get 25% of his next sale and if he goes back, we get 25% of his next sale from Barcelona.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Aye right. And what would you have said had Rangers pumped ICT tonight (as most would have expected them to do)?

This league is far from over. I still don't think we're playing well enough to beat Rangers in Ibrox. Assuming nothing changed between now and then, they'd be back on top after that, and we'd be a lot closer to season end at that stage.

We took 1 point off them at home in 2 matches, and a piece of brilliance from McDonald gave us the points in Ibrox. I honestly can't believe we're favourites even after tonight.

Paulo, those are laughable comments! Do the other Celtic fans on board agree with Paulo? Claiming Rangers are favourites for title is on a par saying Liverpool will win the premiership. Some fans have a habit of never saying their team is favourites and I think you could be one of them! I said before Christmas United were certainties for title with the way the fixtures had panned out for them and of course they are cruising to title. Some United fans still wont admit league is over.

I would be shocked if Celtic dont win league, just look at the facts.

1 Celtic's players have been over course before, Rangers havent- a massive advantage. As soon as Rangers hit the top of league, they bottle it two matches later!
    2- It highly unlikely to come down to goal diff but that advantage is gone.
    3. Celtic have that bit more quality in most positions, with players that win a game with a piece of magic, i.e McDonald last night (Fab player)

So you make Rangers favourites cos they have to go and play a game at Ibrox and you are concerned they wont win? Paulo, they wont have to win in all likelihood!! A draw will be more than enough! Why would you fear Ibrox when you won their earlier in season, your logic is not sound.

And someone had the gall to call me a windup merchant!!

All the papers are saying it this morning, the league is over after last nights results. Anyone that cannot see this or wont admit it is just being too cautious. Let me say it for you- Celtic, Champions 2008-2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ya, Barca would harly force him to move back against his wishes, although it is good to have first choice on him whenever you do decide to sell him.
    Can't believe Crosas is so young. He's playing the most important and influential position in the team. A position that takes years and years for some players to master. And he plays it so well. He already makes decisions quicker than Donati imo and certainly makes better decisions than Donati. Crosas, Naka and Maloney are the 3 players I'd trust more than any at Celtic to do the right thing with the ball. Brown is close to that level of thought too imo.

Thank La Masia mate, all the highly composes and skilled players it has produced in the past 10 years is ridiculous. Crosas is just another one with the likes of Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas! :pac:

Paulo, those are laughable comments! Do the other Celtic fans on board agree with Paulo? Claiming Rangers are favourites for title is on a par saying Liverpool will win the premiership. Some fans have a habit of never saying their team is favourites and I think you could be one of them! I said before Christmas United were certainties for title with the way the fixtures had panned out for them and of course they are cruising to title. Some United fans still wont admit league is over.

I would be shocked if Celtic dont win league, just look at the facts.

1 Celtic's players have been over course before, Rangers havent- a massive advantage. As soon as Rangers hit the top of league, they bottle it two matches later!
    2- It highly unlikely to come down to goal diff but that advantage is gone.
    3. Celtic have that bit more quality in most positions, with players that win a game with a piece of magic, i.e McDonald last night (Fab player)

So you make Rangers favourites cos they have to go and play a game at Ibrox and you are concerned they wont win? Paulo, they wont have to win in all likelihood!! A draw will be more than enough! Why would you fear Ibrox when you won their earlier in season, your logic is not sound.

And someone had the gall to call me a windup merchant!!

All the papers are saying it this morning, the league is over after last nights results. Anyone that cannot see this or wont admit it is just being too cautious. Let me say it for you- Celtic, Champions 2008-2009.

Brewster - get a grip on yourself. I'm not even going to entertain discussion with you on this anymore - it is after all my personal opinion, but comparing Utd's situation with Celtic's is just daft for a number of reasons:

- They are 7 points ahead of 2nd place, with a game in hand.
    - More importantly, their form of late has been flawless.

We have had a poor recent run of form. Look at the results, and look at the fact that 2 key strikers are still not finding the net. Look at the set piece defending which is still a problem for us.

We are only 3 points ahead, and that's after a shock result for Rangers. The goal difference still favours Rangers by the way... it's been vastly cut but to say the advantage is gone is incorrect.

I don't think we'll win in Ibrox. My opinion, don't give a ****e what you think about that.

On a par with saying Liverpool will win the EPL? C'mon... even you know it's nothing like saying that.

Now can you just drop this ffs? I'm sure everyone is getting bored of it, I know I am.

Brewster - get a grip on yourself. I'm not even going to entertain discussion with you on this anymore - it is after all my personal opinion, but comparing Utd's situation with Celtic's is just daft for a number of reasons:

- They are 7 points ahead of 2nd place, with a game in hand.
    - More importantly, their form of late has been flawless.

We have had a poor recent run of form. Look at the results, and look at the fact that 2 key strikers are still not finding the net. Look at the set piece defending which is still a problem for us.

We are only 3 points ahead, and that's after a shock result for Rangers. The goal difference still favours Rangers by the way... it's been vastly cut but to say the advantage is gone is incorrect.

I don't think we'll win in Ibrox. My opinion, don't give a ****e what you think about that.

On a par with saying Liverpool will win the EPL? C'mon... even you know it's nothing like saying that.

Now can you just drop this ffs? I'm sure everyone is getting bored of it, I know I am.

Paulo, I jest slightly re the Liverpool United thing obviously, but in all honesty its not a million miles off it! I regret saying this though, cos you have simply latched onto this rather than any of the other very valid points I made.... You cannot get away from the points I made. Indicating that a 2 goals disadvantage is a serious problem is silly.

Paulo, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and mine is most Celtic fans know deep down they are highly likely to win league but fear saying anything in case it blows up their face and I can understand.

Paulo, I jest slightly re the Liverpool United thing obviously, but in all honesty its not a million miles off it! I regret saying this though, cos you have simply latched onto this rather than any of the other very valid points I made.....

Most of my post above was about your comparison with United, not Liverpool. I made one comment about your comparison with Liverpool.
    You cannot get away from the points I made. Indicating that a 2 goals disadvantage is a serious problem is silly.

Never said that, was just pointing out your incorrect statement:
    but that advantage is gone
    Paulo, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and mine is most Celtic fans know deep down they are highly likely to win league but fear saying anything in case it blows up their face and I can understand.

Whatever. Believe what you will. It doesn't matter who thinks what anyway, we'll all know the score in a couple of months. You think it's a certainty that Celtic will win the league, I don't. It's as simple as that.

Very happy with last nights performance, we could have won by more than the one goal. here's my match ratings:

Boruc: 7-hadnt got much to do, saved well from that shot/cross. cant be blamed for the goal.

Hinkel: 7-same old same old, just what we have come to expect. nothing fancy but always sturdy.

Caldwell: 7-nothing much to note

McManus: 7-again didnt stand out in any way which i suppose comes down to to minimal defending we had to do.

O'Dea: 8-delighted to see him get the start. played well and showed great commitment as ever. not his favoured position but didnt look out of place.

Naka: 9-thought he was fantastic, he was always available for the ball and rarely wasted possesion.

Brown: 7-was losing the head a bit which he needs to be aware of but still played well. would like to see him try more of the long range efforts like the one tonight. efforts like those are the ones which could become very helpful in europe when up against better dfences which we cant get past.

Crosas: 8-keeping it simple throughout, just hoping he stays in the team for the rest of the season. noticed he isnt too keen on getting up for battling headers like robson would be for example but played well none the less.

McGeady: 8-seemed to have 2 men on him at all time but 9 times out of 10 he'd get us something whether it be a corner, a throw-in or a shot.

McDonald: 9-second goal was pure class, had me up off the couch screaming in delight with my older brother. real match winner.

Samaras: 4-not even sure if he's worth a comment. people may think 4 is harsh to to be honest i hate the guy. as dunphy would say: ''he's a con-man Bill''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

In fairness they're only trying to scare away and Rangers fans and media folk. That place used to be the number 1 spot for a bored journalist. There's been a few succesful pranks on the papers through that too. :) Anyway, I find it very easy to spot those on here that post on the hb. They're the pessimistic bastards. :D;)

Can't wait for tonight's game. I love when Celtic are playing midweek.

Sammy for Jan (suspended) should be the only change.
    :D 4IAR here we go, i might be a bastard but i aint no pessimist ;)
    mon teh board.

as for Crosas, outstanding and what a differene the bhoy brings to the team. barca have the option to buy him back, but this won't happen. Barca have their elections in the summer and therefore new big name/money signings will be on the cards to ensure votes, Crosas doesn't come under that category(yet;))
    skippy's 2nd goal on Wed night, absolute peach.

Samaras: 4-not even sure if he's worth a comment. people may think 4 is harsh to to be honest i hate the guy. as dunphy would say: ''he's a con-man Bill''.

I don't think 4 is harsh, that's all I'd have given him. Bit of a headless chicken at the moment is Sammy. Can't say I hate him though, he definitely has talent, but he's been off the boil since his injury. Start of the season he looked like he'd be a high 20's, maybe even 30+ on the goals front.

Would like to see him as a sub for a while though. Not good enough to start at the moment (I know JVoH wasn't an option the other night though).

When is Maloney back anyone? He seems to be made out of paper that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dempsey wrote: »
    Let me guess, republican politics? :pac:

Eh not exclusively. All sorts of nutters on it with political opinions ranging from either extreme.

When is Maloney back anyone? He seems to be made out of paper that lad.

Celtic forward Shaun Maloney has flown out to consult a German specialist about his troublesome hamstring injury. (Daily Record)

Its coming to a point where I think he'll have lost a yard of pace and not up to it when he comes back from injury.

Should have left him at Villa imo (I never wanted him back)

Samaras is a complete confidence player. Some of his one touch passing when he's on his game is class, like the one-two with Brown in a 4-0 cup game.

• Advertisement

wahey i forgot we had the early kick off cup game today plus its on tele, nothing better than watching the celts to get rid of a hangover;)

wonder if he'll change team around, altho he tends not too. hopefully only change will be samar-ass

i know we're always hearing this from gordon but im hoping this could be a chance for darren to get a good run in the team, a run i feel most fans feel he deserves.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5015174,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7929976.stm

Rangers are offering their staff the option of voluntary redundancy in response to the economic downturn.

I dont see any other club in the SPL or EPL offering voluntary redundancy. Economic Downturn my arse! I though it was admin type people getting offered this but it seems to be players!!

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ya, Barca would harly force him to move back against his wishes, although it is good to have first choice on him whenever you do decide to sell him.

Thank La Masia mate, all the highly composes and skilled players it has produced in the past 10 years is ridiculous. Crosas is just another one with the likes of Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas! :pac:
    A topic on Crosas if you're interested:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/topic/8084461/1/

As you can guess we don't take the basics for granted when we have to put up with some of the rubbish at Celtic in recent years. ;)

YES!!! The Sky Sports viewers get to see Celtic's strongest team (the injured Maloney aside).

Same team as Wednesday with Jan in for Samaras.

3 games in a row for Naka, Crosas, Brown and McGeady. They'll have a good understanding at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/7929976.stm

Rangers are offering their staff the option of voluntary redundancy in response to the economic downturn.

I dont see any other club in the SPL or EPL offering voluntary redundancy. Economic Downturn my arse! I though it was admin type people getting offered this but it seems to be players!!

I think you will find it is general staff that ae being offloaded yes players will be transferred but not made redundant
    That is just an awful piece of writing by the journalist

Don't write us of as a club just yet :p

Oops :D:D:D

wahey i forgot we had the early kick off cup game today plus its on tele, nothing better than watching the celts to get rid of a hangover;)

wonder if he'll change team around, altho he tends not too. hopefully only change will be samar-ass

Hows the hangover there?! Lasting a bit longer than normal today!!!?;)

They didnt look like they cared that much tbh

• Advertisement

They didnt look like they cared that much tbh

Nah of course they did'nt care about being put out of the second biggest trophy in our domestic league. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

I thought we'd turned the corner perhaps, obviously not. Poor result in what should have been a relatively comfortable win.

Feckin' no goals AGAIN from our strikers. Can't fault McDonald as at least he's scoring every couple of games, but Jan and Samaras are struggling big time. Bad enough when one striker is off form, but when two aren't scoring, and the other option is out on loan, it doesn't bode well.

Today is precisely why I'm not hugely optimistic about the league, regardless of how poor Rangers are.

I thought we'd turned the corner perhaps, obviously not. Poor result in what should have been a relatively comfortable win.

Feckin' no goals AGAIN from our strikers. Can't fault McDonald as at least he's scoring every couple of games, but Jan and Samaras are struggling big time. Bad enough when one striker is off form, but when two aren't scoring, and the other option is out on loan, it doesn't bode well.

Today is precisely why I'm not hugely optimistic about the league, regardless of how poor Rangers are.

Got to say Paul I feel the same way about Rangers there league chances hang by a thread

Nah of course they did'nt care about being put out of the second biggest trophy in our domestic league. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

You and I both know that the only trophy worth talking about is the SPL purely because of UCL group stage entry, financial windfall and its bragging rights Both cups are insignificant by comparison and the fact that Rangers won both cups last season whilst we took the league last year reflects that view at the end of the day. Does anyone actually care that Rangers hold both Cups? Not even most Rangers fans care cos the league is what everyone wants.

You and I both know that the only trophy worth talking about is the SPL purely because of UCL group stage entry, financial windfall and its bragging rights Both cups are insignificant by comparison and the fact that Rangers won both cups last season whilst we took the league last year reflects that view at the end of the day. Does anyone actually care that Rangers hold both Cups? Not even most Rangers fans care cos the league is what everyone wants.

Yeah your right both teams want the league more than anything else but to say as professional footballers and a club Celtic did'nt care about winning the cup is idiotic. of course they cared as did most tic fans becuase it would have meant another trophy and a possible treble I don't personaly know one tic fan that did'nt care.;)

The cups are nice-to-haves, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted to win either, especially if it means beating Rangers in the final. :D

However the SPL is the big prize, and is so important in terms of Europe. The winners this season again drop straight into the group stages of the CL, which is mega-money straight away (in Scottish terms). 2nd place has two qualifying rounds to get through. Nightmare scenario, as Rangers well know from this season, and as we all remember from Artmedia.

As regards yesterday, I'm more pissed off about not scoring any goals and not being able to get the better of a team like St. Mirren than being out of the cup. I'm more worried about the effect of this on our title chase than anything else.

Speaking of the league chase - what do Rangers fans think the effect would be if Rangers finished 2nd? I'm not well up on the finances of both clubs, but it would appear to me that Rangers desperately need to win the league this season purely for the financial income, much moreso than Celtic. Obviously 2nd place is a big financial blow to either club, but would Rangers be in real trouble if they failed to win the league this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think Rangers need the money more than Celtic at the moment and would be a serious blow to them should Celtic get all the money pot again this season. Having said that, there is no point in getting through to the CL if we do not buy players who improve the team eg a decent left back is way over due

I think Rangers need the money more than Celtic at the moment and would be a serious blow to them should Celtic get all the money pot again this season. Having said that, there is no point in getting through to the CL if we do not buy players who improve the team eg a decent left back is way over due

I think thats a given Rangers need the money more than Celtic It would be very serious if we did'nt but but more because of the CL qualification than the money from winning the SPL

Rangers are currently offering redundancies and using rough calculations, their wages to turnover ratio currently stands around 85% which is really bad!!

Rangers are currently offering redundancies and using rough calculations, their wages to turnover ratio currently stands around 85% which is really bad!!

Your really good a stating the obvious :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I think thats a given Rangers need the money more than Celtic It would be very serious if we did'nt but but more because of the CL qualification than the money from winning the SPL

Yep, sorry my post stated this season when it be next season for the CL money

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement