Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What the feck is happening to Celtic? I can't watch the match, so I'm just watching the updates on BBC. 4-1? Are they playing that badly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Well to say i'm happy is an understatement. Class performance, class goals. Boruc making an arse of himself, it has it all :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Happy enough with that score to be honest. :D Should have been 5-1.

Nothing to be said really other than we haven't signed enough quality and Boruc really picks his moments to have bad days.

Miller scoring was bound to happen. Didn't think he'd nearly see a hat-trick though.

Bye bye league. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    From BBC text

"Celtic fans are waving their passports in the air to taunt Rangers fans about the fact that they were ousted from Europe early doors by Kaunas. Celtic play, among others, Manchester United in the Champions League. Oooh, cheeky! "

Brilliant :D
    Celtic fans were hilarious before the game.

They have a big "Murray must stay!" banner with picture of Pinnochio with his nose getting longer!

There's a small Southpark themed banner with "Oh my God! They signed Kenny!" on it.

Loads of people dressed in beach clothes with plenty of beach balls, buckets, spades, sombreros etc... as well as waving the passports!!!

LOL that's quality :D

Shame bout the score though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anto McC wrote: »
    Well to say i'm happy is an understatement. Class performance, class goals. Boruc making an arse of himself, it has it all :D

You Irish and a Rangers fan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No, I'm guessing he's an Eircom League fan and Celtic hater.:pac:

Well i can't say i'm a fan, as fans go to watch their team most every week but i do like them. Is it as implausible as you being Irish and a Celtic fan? I mean if you can like a random Scottish team, why can't i?

Well i can't say i'm a fan, as fans go to watch their team most every week but i do like them. Is it as implausible as you being Irish and a Celtic fan? I mean if you can like a random Scottish team, why can't i?

Not telling you who you should or shouldn't be a fan of. I just wonder what type of illness somebody must have that they follow a team that would despise them cos of where they were born.

But if you're racist and sectarian then fill your boots mate...

SantryRed wrote: »
    No, I'm guessing he's an Eircom League fan and Celtic hater.:pac:

Seems to be a few attention seeking Shels fans on here that fit that bill or some reason alright.

Eh no, most EL fans I do think.

• Advertisement

Eh no, most EL fans I do think.

Their hatred of Celtic seems far worse than their hatred of EPL teams - why is that?

Seems they're quite a self loathing bunch.

Their hatred of Celtic seems far worse than their hatred of EPL teams - why is that?

Seems they're quite a self loathing bunch.

Because a lot of EPL 'fans' support Celtic as well because you know you're Irish and Catholic so you have to! (Usual goonish response I get):rolleyes:

Not telling you who you should or shouldn't be a fan of. I just wonder what type of illness somebody must have that they follow a team that would despise them cos of where they were born.

But if you're racist and sectarian then fill your boots mate...

I actually know 2 Rangers fans that are born and rared in Dublin, they're part of a supporters club and travel over quiet regularly to see them play (i've never been myself to be honest) and they've never had any trouble over there.

Or should i delete that as it ruins the illusion of the big bad Rangers fans, while Celtic fans have never put a foot wrong :rolleyes:

How exactly am i racist or sectarian because i like Rangers? What a very stupid thing to say

Because a lot of EPL 'fans' support Celtic as well because you know you're Irish and Catholic so you have to! (Usual goonish response I get):rolleyes:

Religion has nothing to do with supporting Celtic, never has, never will.

So Eircom League fans won't support Celic as they're seen as Irish and Catholic??? I'm a bit confused here. There's plently of EL fans here that follow EPL teams as well, do they get slated too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

The team that i always look out for in Scotland is Hearts. Same as with any other league i follow, this has nothing to do with religion..
    I would probably prefer Rangers to Celtic as well, but not enough to want to go and watch them of actively support them.

I actually know 2 Rangers fans that are born and rared in Dublin, they're part of a supporters club and travel over quiet regularly to see them play (i've never been myself to be honest) and they've never had any trouble over there.

Or should i delete that as it ruins the illusion of the big bad Rangers fans, while Celtic fans have never put a foot wrong :rolleyes:

How exactly am i racist or sectarian because i like Rangers? What a very stupid thing to say

Why don't you go home,
    Why don't you go home,
    The famine's over,
    Why don't you go home.

...up to our knees in Fenian blood, surrender or you'll die.

As I said follow them if you like. Amazing you would want to be linked to a racist sectarian organisation.

I suggest you point out where I say that you are racist or sectarian.

How many Irish internationals have played for them in the last 60 years?

How well would a tricolour go down there?

...and how are you not slated for following a "foreign" team when you are doing the exact same as Celtic fans are. A tad hypocritical... but then you don't mind the link with racism and sectarianism.

The irony of an Irishman hating people cos they follow foreign teams and then they themself follow the biggest Irish hating team going. As I said, it's an illness.

ibh wrote: »
    The team that i always look out for in Scotland is Hearts. Same as with any other league i follow, this has nothing to do with religion..
    I would probably prefer Rangers to Celtic as well, but not enough to want to go and watch them of actively support them.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is that hard to believe?
    Why don't you go home,
    Why don't you go home,
    The famine's over,
    Why don't you go home.

As I said follow them if you like. Amazing you would want to be linked to a racist sectarian organisation.

...and how are you not slated for following a "foreign" team when you are doing the exact same as Celtic fans are. A tad hypocritical... but then you don't mind the link with racism and sectarianism.

The irony of an Irishman hating people cos they follow foreign teams and then they themself follow the biggest Irish hating team going. As I said, it's an illness.

People like you is one of the reasons why people in this country couldn't give a **** about Celtic or Rangers for that matter.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Is that hard to believe?

People like you is one of the reasons why people in this country couldn't give a **** about Celtic or Rangers for that matter.

Yes, Rangers fans hate anything Irish, why would an Irish person follow them?

Why are you bothering to post on this thread then if you don't care?

More Celtic season ticket holders in Ireland then any other club kind of negates your argument though...

You said "but if you're racist and sectarian then fill your boots" because i like Rangers, well i also consider myself catholic so does that mean i like Priests abusing kids?

Why would anyone bring a tricolour to a game with Scottish teams playing?

Again, i said i like them, never said i supported them but why let the facts get in the way :rolleyes:

Where did i say any of that, Santry red said that stuff, not me but again lets not have facts dicatate things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Why?

Why what. Why rangers as opposed to Celtic, dunno. Just was never into Celtic.
    Fcuking idiots used to have no shirt numbers, had them on their shorts instead. At least that sh't never caught on:D

I liked Paul Stay but also liked Gazza and Ally McCoist and Trevor Steven.

Incidentially, does Trevor working for RTE bother you, as in you Celtic fans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Rich coming from someone whos fans sing Sinn Fein IRA during the fields of Athenry - the fact that they dont do it at home games as much anymore doesnt make it any better.

Im pretty much neutral btw, Im aethiest and dont hold a passport from the british isles etc dont care too much for scottish footall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

That may be because we're muck! Oh and don't forget, Celtic had a policy of not signing Protestants, just as Rangers had of not signing Catholics. Thankfully that crap is in the past.
    And how well would a union jack go down in amongst all the Celtic fans?
    ...and how are you not slated for following a "foreign" team when you are doing the exact same as Celtic fans are.
    Both are foreign teams if you're Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Publin wrote: »
    Oh and don't forget, Celtic had a policy of not signing Protestants, just as Rangers had of not signing Catholics. Thankfully that crap is in the past.

Tell me some more on this

Religion has nothing to do with supporting Celtic, never has, never will.

So Eircom League fans won't support Celic as they're seen as Irish and Catholic??? I'm a bit confused here. There's plently of EL fans here that follow EPL teams as well, do they get slated too?

Awww I couldn't be arsed. You lost today. Just eat your humble pie and shut up and stop looking for arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Oh and don't forget, Celtic had a policy of not signing Protestants

Jock Stein? Kenny Dalglish?

Tell me some more on this
    I'm not sure which part you want me to elaborate on - Rangers' policy or Celtic's?

In relation to Celtic, I suppose I was a bit unfair to call it a "policy", as it was never an official policy and Celtic have had Protestants involved with and playing for the club, although in relatively small numbers compared to Catholics in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

That may be because we're muck! Oh and don't forget, Celtic had a policy of not signing Protestants, just as Rangers had of not signing Catholics. Thankfully that crap is in the past.

What film was that in!
    And how well would a union jack go down in amongst all the Celtic fans?

Probably in a puff of smoke!
    Both are foreign teams if you're Irish.

You sure about that, last time I checked the Celts were set up by the Irish in poverty stricken east Glasgow, to try and help the area and in Edinburgh Hibs were set up by Irish using 'Hibernian' as the name from the 'Roman' for Ireland. Okay Glasgow is slightly foreign to Dublin, but Irish foreign to Ireland?

Come on Gord' splash the cash and give us some hope this season.

What film was that in!
    I clarified what I meant above.
    Probably in a puff of smoke!
    Why? I think you're just proving the point here.
    You sure about that, last time I checked the Celts were set up by the Irish in poverty stricken east Glasgow, to try and help the area and in Edinburgh Hibs were set up by Irish using 'Hibernian' as the name from the 'Roman' for Ireland. Okay Glasgow is slightly foreign to Dublin, but Irish foreign to Ireland?

What difference does it make who founded them or why they were set up?? That's irrelevant.

Right... I'll try to make this simple. Is Glasgow part of Ireland? No, clearly it's not. So both Celtic and Rangers are foreign clubs. What part of this is hard to grasp?

Ther's only 1 Irish team left in Europe, and it's not Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

We need a a left back badly Wilson was cruelly exposed for a couple of the goals, jvoh is a disgrace i know he didn't kill him but he should know better than that, especially when their down a man.

I'm not sure which part you want me to elaborate on - Rangers' policy or Celtic's?

In relation to Celtic, I suppose I was a bit unfair to call it a "policy", as it was never an official policy and Celtic have had Protestants involved with and playing for the club, although in relatively small numbers compared to Catholics in the past.

It wasn't "a bit unfair", it was totally incorrect.
    No such policy ever existed, Celtic have employed non-Catholics throughout their history. Some of Celtic's most celebrated heroes were Protestants.

If you're gonna sit there throwing around offensive accusations like that, do us all a favour and do a little research first!

ibh wrote: »
    Why what. Why rangers as opposed to Celtic, dunno. Just was never into Celtic.
    Fcuking idiots used to have no shirt numbers, had them on their shorts instead. At least that sh't never caught on:D

I liked Paul Stay but also liked Gazza and Ally McCoist and Trevor Steven.

Incidentially, does Trevor working for RTE bother you, as in you Celtic fans..

No he doesn't bother me at all.

I actually think Souness is a very good and fair pundit too.

Utter lies.

tibor wrote: »
    It wasn't "a bit unfair", it was totally incorrect.
    No such policy ever existed, Celtic have employed non-Catholics throughout their history. Some of Celtic's most celebrated heroes were Protestants.

If you're gonna sit there throwing around offensive accusations like that, do us all a favour and do a little research first!
    Rangers have also had Catholic employees (in very small numbers) throughout their history. What I said was also technically incorrect about Rangers as well. So I'm not "picking" on Celtic (or Rangers).

Are you suggesting that there were equal numbers of Catholics and Protestants employed by Celtic?? I am well aware they are some Celtic legends that are Protestants - Kenny Dalglish being one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why don't you go home,
    Why don't you go home,
    The famine's over,
    Why don't you go home.

How come you havnt posted any hardcore Celtic songs?

• Advertisement

Rangers have also had Catholic employees (in very small numbers) throughout their history. What I said was also technically incorrect about Rangers as well. So I'm not "picking" on Celtic (or Rangers).

Are you suggesting that there were equal numbers of Catholics and Protestants employed by Celtic?? I am well aware they are some Celtic legends that are Protestants - Kenny Dalglish being one.

You said that Celtic had a policy of not signing Protestants - prove it. It's a lie.

Utter lies.
    Read the post after that, I clarified what I meant.

Stekelly wrote: »
    How come you havnt posted any hardcore Celtic songs?

Celtic don't sing any songs against anyone based on their nationality or religion.

Read the post after that, I clarified what I meant.

No you didn't, you told lies.

Celtic don't sing any songs against anyone based on their nationality or religion.

:D

Yeah , if you say so. Just make sure to to fight the good fight against the evil oppressive reign of Rangers.

Your so incredibly blinkered and singe-minded it's not even funny.

• Advertisement

troll_feed2.jpg

:D

Yeah , if you say so. Just make sure to to fight the good fight against the evil oppressive reign of Rangers.

Your so incredibly blinkered and singe-minded it's not even funny.

You see this is where all you have to do is produce proof that Celtic fans sing anti-Protestant or racist songs and you win the argument.

Over to you... surely you'll find this very easy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Have to admit Rangers were the Scottish team whose results I used to watch out for back in the day - shoot magazine wouldve been the deciding factor. Knew nothing about secterianism till I went to the gaeltacht, was asked what team I supported, everyone was saying Celtic - I supported United so I said Rangers to be different, was promptly asked did I want my legs broken.

No you didn't, you told lies.
    :rolleyes: I do apologise for bad-mouthing Rangers. And Celtic.

In my eyes it was an unofficial policy (if you look at the numbers of Catholics and Protestants employed by the club in it's history). It's not just a coincidence. It went on at both clubs.

As I'm being accused of being a troll (which I can assure you I'm not), I'll leave this issue now before I or someone else gets banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I clarified what I meant above.

Understood.

Why? I think you're just proving the point here.QUOTE]

It was meant as a joke, unlike some of the previous posts.
    Right... I'll try to make this simple. Is Glasgow part of Ireland? No, clearly it's not. So both Celtic and Rangers are foreign clubs. What part of this is hard to grasp?

Ther's only 1 Irish team left in Europe, and it's not Celtic.

I didn't say Glasgow/Edinburgh was on the Island, but what I meant was that the core was Irish and people shouldn't forget that. People shouldn't fly a tricolour if they don't know why they are doing it either.

As a Celtic supporter since early 80's, before I understood religion/nations/sectarianism I show support for the other clubs(even the gers) for the sake of the league, when playing in Europe etc, as I do as a proud Shels supporter, I will show some support for the Inchicore Reds when they play Hertha in the UEFA cup.

Also so-called Eircom League supporters should vent there anger towards the FAI/Government regarding the state of the league, instead of Celtic or other teams based abroad.

You see this is where all you have to do is produce proof that Celtic fans sing anti-Protestant or racist songs and you win the argument.

Over to you... surely you'll find this very easy???

TBH I have little interest in Scottish football. I have my own team to support atm.

I do however know 2(seperate) Celtic season ticket holders. Both of whom like nothing more than spewign a bit of bile about varies things Rangers related. 1 is actually a Scot btw.

Anyway, I'm sure you've all done your homework and only target the lads in the Rangers end that directly oppressed your family during the famine.

TBH I have little interest in Scottish football. I have my own team to support atm.

I do however know 2(seperate) Celtic season ticket holders. Both of whom like nothing more than spewign a bit of bile about varies things Rangers related. 1 is actually a Scot btw.

Anyway, I'm sure you've all done your homework and only target the lads in the Rangers end that directly oppressed your family during the famine.

Typical facetious retort when one realises one is talking tripe.

bohsman wrote: »
    Have to admit Rangers were the Scottish team whose results I used to watch out for back in the day - shoot magazine wouldve been the deciding factor. Knew nothing about secterianism till I went to the gaeltacht, was asked what team I supported, everyone was saying Celtic - I supported United so I said Rangers to be different, was promptly asked did I want my legs broken.

...and you're surprised that supporting an institution that discriminates against Irish people would produce a negative reaction???

Understood.
    Appreciated. Some of your fellow fans don't seem to accept this :).
    It was meant as a joke, unlike some of the previous posts.
    I get jokes :o.
    I didn't say Glasgow/Edinburgh was on the Island, but what I meant was that the core was Irish and people shouldn't forget that. People shouldn't fly a tricolour if they don't know why they are doing it either.

Agree about the tricolour. I know what you're saying about the history, but that doesn't make them Irish. If a company was founded by an Irishman in America, the company was registered in America, and taxes were paid in America, you wouldn't consider the company Irish (I presume?).
    Also so-called Eircom League supporters should vent there anger towards the FAI/Government regarding the state of the league, instead of Celtic or other teams based abroad.
    Agree fully!

Just to clarify, I don't actively support Celtic (attend games), but they are the team in Scotland whose results I'd watch out for.

...and you're surprised that supporting an institution that discriminates against Irish people would produce a negative reaction???

Get over yourself. I would bet every penny I have in my pocket the reaction he got was all to do with "your Irish so you have to support Celtic "rubbish and nothing to do with those people knowing anything of any songs sung by Rangers fans.

But of course the snow white celtic fans were only sticking up for fellow brow -beaten, put upon Irish men and not just stupidly anti Rangers and anythign remotely related to England.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement