Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    No, that would be Aiden McGeady ;)

No it wouldn't. Aidan is only a young boy and has achieved very little in his career to date. Maybe in time he can take on this mantle. But one thing is for certain, Aidan could look at what happens when you go on the batter once too often and make sure he doesnt make same mistakes as Ferguson did. Apparently Ferguson's Scotland career over too according to media. Its such a shame. Really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thread reopened after numerous posts moved to specific issue thread, and more deleted.

Posters are reminded that abusive posts are not permitted on this forum, be that levelled at other posters or at players/sports personalities.

I'll also ask that if you are aware of any breach of the forum charter that you report the post, do not reply on-thread.

You patience has been appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Brewster wrote: »
    The best footballer Scotland have produced in years.
    You're genuinely having a laugh there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Busy week coming up with 3 games in 7 days:

Celtic v Hamilton
    Celtic v Falkirk
    Hearts v Celtic

Has to be 6 points from the two home games against bottom 6 sides you would expect, anything less and we're in trouble. Hearts next weekend is a potential banana skin so we still want to have the 3 point buffer going into that game.

As for Rangers with all the stuff this week - I honestly don't think it'll affect them much. Barry Ferguson has not been any great shakes this season - he's been a shadow of his former self actually. McGregor is more of a loss to them, it'll be interesting to see how they cope without him. Alexander didn't look confident at the end of last season when McGregor was injured.

These two homes games should give Samaras and JVoH the opportunity to get back on the score sheet, although personally I wonder do either merit a place on the team at the moment. We're short of strike options though what with Sheridan out on loan, and I believe Hutchinson is also injured.

Finally, any news on Maloney? Not listed in the squad for tomorrow, seems like ages since he's been playing. McCourt and Mizuno in the squad, would love to see one or both of them getting a run out assuming we're up a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

McCourt looks like he could step up a level or two in reserve matches, he skips past players with considerable ease.

He has a back complaint at the moment, dunno why it hasnt been sorted out by the medical staff, I think they are hoping that they dont have to recommend surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I personally thought Alexander done a great job at the end of last season paul to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Dempsey wrote: »
    McCourt looks like he could step up a level or two in reserve matches, he skips past players with considerable ease.

He has a back complaint at the moment, dunno why it hasnt been sorted out by the medical staff, I think they are hoping that they dont have to recommend surgery.

has anyone heard how niall mc ginn is getting on over there?

Nothing springs to mind.

Hutchinson & McCourt, despite constant niggling injuries, have been standout for the reserves. He isnt close to the first team at the moment, McCourt and Mizuno are ahead of him in the pecking order.

Willie McStay rates McCourt very highly, i think there was a comparison made to Lubo...I dunno about the creditability of that story but one can hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Brewster wrote: »
    Thats just a plain silly thing to say. The best footballer Scotland have produced in years. He is only 31 for crying out loud, not 37! Fair enough, your no fan of Rangers, but saying he is muck is petty. What an idiot though, going on a booze up till Sunday lunchtime. Fair play to Walter Smith, I dont he had any choice here. This is nothing to do with downsizing and getting money in next transfer window for him, what club would want a boozed up bevie merchant playing for them?? Alcohol will ruin this guys career, wont be the first footballer either to suffer same fate and certainly wont be the last.
    irony?? that has to be up there with quote of the day, if not week. i dont hear any gers fans on here disagreeing with me on it. yes it must be nice throwing cats among pigeons and playing devils advocate brewster, but open ur eyes man.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You're genuinely having a laugh there.
    the odd thing here is he isn't having a laugh, he's deadly serious.

ADMIN/MODS

can i post a link to a petition here???? it's to try and get the lennoxtown training facility named after the late great Tommy Burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

poindexter wrote: »
    ADMIN/MODS

can i post a link to a petition here???? it's to try and get the lennoxtown training facility named after the late great Tommy Burns.

That one I would sign great man a true gent(I know I know I am a Bear But He was a man I admired greatly)

That one I would sign great man a true gent(I know I know I am a Bear But He was a man I admired greatly)
    :)

good man B_B_E. I might be a Celtic fan and people can view and judge that how they like, but there is no denying Tommy Burns is a legend who really could be classed as Mr Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nice win yesterday with the 2 goal dodging strikers scoring :eek:

Hopefully the implosion of Rangers will continue today

Nice win yesterday with the 2 goal dodging strikers scoring :eek:

Hopefully the implosion of Rangers will continue today

IMO It will bring the rest of the squad closer reckon it will be 1-3 to the Rangers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He'll need to improve on the performances I've seen in the reserves. Doesn't seem anything special. McCourt is different class to anyone in the reserves. Terrific player.

:)

good man B_B_E. I might be a Celtic fan and people can view and judge that how they like, but there is no denying Tommy Burns is a legend who really could be classed as Mr Celtic.

Noone should judge a person just on what team a person supports Jesus some of my best friends are Tic fans :eek::eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ADMIN/MODS

Work away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Lads, anyone know when the post-split fixtures are announced?

Good win yesterday, just happy that both Samaras and JVoH found the net. Yeah, I know, Hamilton at home.... but they'd been struggling against everyone the past few months. Hopefully it'll give them confidence for the run in.

I see my hopes that Mizuno and McCourt would play came about... I didn't see the game, any idea how the two lads played? Sounds like Hinkel had a good game.

two minutes of your time Bhoys and Ghirls

http://www.gopetition.com/online/19308.html

http://celticfc.net/news/stories/news_060409162126.aspx

McGinn scored for the reserves and McCourt was skipping past people all afternoon :pac:

I would like to see them get more first team football, they'd have the crowd on their feet
    two minutes of your time Bhoys and Ghirls

http://www.gopetition.com/online/19308.html

Signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Petition signed and word spread to mates who aren't on boards.ie

Hail! Hail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Good win tonight keeps us ticking over nicely and our goal difference is + 4. Hertz will be tough tho on saturday hopefully Maloney will be back to give us options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Badabing wrote: »
    Good win tonight keeps us ticking over nicely and our goal difference is + 4. Hertz will be tough tho on saturday hopefully Maloney will be back to give us options.
    Good night for teh Irish lads as well with McGeady and O'Dea scoring and also McCourt getting a run out as well.

Celtic continue to turn the screw and currently look like they could wrap up the league in style but Brown will now serve a suspension will force Strachan, once again, away from his preferred lineup which might cause a void in midfield and I dont see anyone that can do the work that Brown does in a match which is a worry

Glad to see the Irish Bhoys do well but I was hoping for McCourt to get on the pitch earlier because he's a real crowd pleaser. Easily the best reserve player and if his back wasnt niggling at him, he'd been pushing for game time much earlier in the season than this

The disappointment of Brown's suspension overshadows tonights result. We're a bit screwed. It has to be Caldwell in beside Crosas as it's too risky to try Flood in midfield at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The disappointment of Brown's suspension overshadows tonights result. We're a bit screwed. It has to be Caldwell in beside Crosas as it's too risky to try Flood in midfield at this stage.
    Whats the story with Donati? Injured or just no good?

Pighead wrote: »

Didnt adapt to Celtic's game or life in the SPL. He lacks tenacity and plays at a slower tempo than the team.

He's also not on the best terms with Strachan at the moment which will result in him leaving in the summer unless he gets more games, Italy being his preferred destination. He still talks highly about Celtic but he justs wants to be playing football is his problem.

I think a 4-5-1 is on the cards away to Hearts.
    Boruc

Hinkel    Loovens   McManus   O' Dea

Caldwell

Flood   Nakamura    Crosas    McGeady

McDonald

Pighead wrote: »
    Criticised Strachan in the media and had a row with him over it. He's now training and playing reserve football for the rest of the season.

Even still, Donati, Crosas, Naka and McGeady lacks any bite that Brown, Robson, Caldwell or Flood would offer.

Dempsey I'd definitely like to see that midfield with Brown out. Although I think it would only be natural for Crosas to be sitting deep and taking the ball from defence. That's the good thing about Caldwell is he's adaptable and would allow Crosas to play this role. Unlike Hartley who would force Crosas to change his role if played beside him.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Dempsey I'd definitely like to see that midfield with Brown out. Although I think it would only be natural for Crosas to be sitting deep and taking the ball from defence. That's the good thing about Caldwell is he's adaptable and would allow Crosas to play this role. Unlike Hartley who would force Crosas to change his role if played beside him.

Crosas could drop deeper and Nakamura drift more central.

I know you dont have much time for Hartley but himself and Crosas in a 5 man midfield could suit them very well.
    Hartley   Crosas

Flood   Nakamura   McGeady

Hartley focussing on breakdown with Crosas dictating tempo when in possession could be very effective

Didnt adapt to Celtic's game or life in the SPL. He lacks tenacity and plays at a slower tempo than the team.

He's also not on the best terms with Strachan at the moment which will result in him leaving in the summer unless he gets more games, Italy being his preferred destination. He still talks highly about Celtic but he justs wants to be playing football is his problem.

I think a 4-5-1 is on the cards away to Hearts.
    Boruc

Hinkel    Loovens   McManus   O' Dea

Caldwell

Flood   Nakamura    Crosas    McGeady

McDonald

if it wasn't away at swinecastle then i'd take a chance with that, but as it is i wouldn't play Naka in the middle for this one. he's standing up more to the batterings this season, but in all reality he isn't designed to slot in there for a game of such importance which is going to be rough and tumble. Hartley might no be many people's favourite but he will get stuck in against his old team.

how many games is Broony suspended for??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Brown isn't suspended for Hearts game as far as I know. He will miss first two games after split, one of which is away to Rangers. They will miss that Bhoy....

RANGERS suffered another hammer blow today with the news that star defender Madjid Bougherra is set to miss next month's Old Firm title cruncher through suspension.

The centre-half went over the disciplinary points threshold after picking up a silly booking from ref Eddie Smith for dissent in his side's 2-1 win over St Mirren last night.

And top scorer Kris Boyd is also walking a suspension tightrope which could also rule him out of the Celtic showdown, which is set to be confirmed for Sunday, May 3.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2500937.0.0.php

Good to hear Brown is available for the next 2 games (even if it means he'll miss the Rangers one). There's no easy games from now on and I'd like to see if Strachan sticks with the same midfield against Hearts on Saturday.

Bougherra would be a miss for us but boyd :confused:

Bougherra would be a miss for us but boyd :confused:

You'll need him for every match except the OF match because he'll be benched for that anyways :pac:

Bougherra has been very important for Rangers like Brown for Celtic but I think Celtic's squad will handle his absence much better

• Advertisement

Celtic Football Club today announced that a fantastic Tribute Match is to be staged in honour of the great Tommy Burns.

The Tribute match will take place at Celtic Park on Sunday 31st May 2009(2pm kick-off) and feature the current Celtic First Team against a Tommy Burns Select, including a host of former Celtic greats, who played with and for Tommy, during his glittering career as player and manager.

Tommy died on 15th May 2008 after a long battle against cancer and his passing was felt across the entire spectrum of Scottish football. He was a man who played for and managed the Club. A man who served Celtic with great distinction.

The Tribute Match will benefit the Burns family with donations also being made by the family to Celtic Charity Fund and the Tommy Burns Skin Cancer Trust, which has been established by Tommy’s daughters.

Sculpture Tribute to Tommy

On the day of the match, Rosemary Burns will also unveil a bronze sculpture of Tommy at the entrance to Celtic Park. The sculpture, depicting Tommy’s life in football will be mounted on the wall of the stadium as Tommy becomes the inaugural inductee into an elite group of true Celtic Legends.

Celtic Manager Gordon Strachan commented, "Naturally, we still miss Tommy so much, his whole personality was something which lit up the Club and he was a man who just gave so much to Celtic – a Club he loved so dearly. There is still great sadness at Tommy’s passing, but the wonderful memories of Tommy we will cherish forever.”

“It was a great privilege to be able to call Tommy a friend and I know that I speak for all the players and backroom staff in saying that we are honoured to be taking part in this match in memory of such a tremendous man.”

Tommy's widow Rosemary Burns commented, "Clearly it has been a very difficult year for the whole family, however, throughout this period we have been touched by the overwhelming support we have received from so many people. We are sure this match will be a great opportunity for people, supporters of all clubs to pay their respects to Thomas and I would like to thank in advance everyone who attends the match. I will also be delighted to unveil the sculpture of Thomas at Celtic Park".

Celtic Chairman John Reid commented, "Tommy will forever be remembered as one of Celtic's greatest sons, not only for his playing ability but also for his attributes as a man. He is one of the finest men ever to grace the famous green and white hoops and is someone certainly I was proud to have known. Tommy epitomised Celtic and represented all that is great about our Club. Clearly Tommy has been missed terribly by Rosemary and the family and everyone within the wider Celtic family - indeed the world of football as a whole”.

“The match in honour of Tommy will be a fitting tribute to someone who made such a wonderful contribution to the Club. We will also be delighted to unveil a wonderful piece of sculpture and ensure Tommy’s place as the first member in our group of true Celtic Legends."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

looking forward to the game today, a convincing win would really be a major step towards the title i think. heres hoping to 2-0, mcgeady and jan the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Great start by the bhoys today, nice to see big Jan get one. Hearts coming back into it a bit though.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Rubbish tactics by Strachan today. Man is a tube.:mad:

• Advertisement

Bye bye title. We're feckin' rank, worse than Rangers.

Has to be said though, Hearts were class and deserved to win I thought. Stunning free kick.

Same old crap from Celtic, how people pay to watch that ****e is beyond me. Struggle against any side that pressurises the midfield, which Hearts did for 80 minutes today.

Strachan needs to quit with this Loovens/Caldwell thing. And why Naka didn't start is beyond me.

Strachan:
    On chances and opportunities to score, we had the better ones. We just didn't have our shooting boots on today.

Yawn. We'll never change so long as he's at the helm.

Has to be said though, Hearts were class and deserved to win I thought. Stunning free kick.

Boruc's organising of the wall and positioning was absolutely terrible. It was more goalkeeper error than stunning free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

PauloMN wrote: »
    Bye bye title. We're feckin' rank, worse than Rangers.

Same old crap from Celtic, how people pay to watch that ****e is beyond me. Struggle against any side that pressurises the midfield, which Hearts did for 80 minutes today.

Strachan needs to quit with this Loovens/Caldwell thing. And why Naka didn't start is beyond me.

Strachan:

Yawn. We'll never change so long as he's at the helm.

We really need a change of management as over the last 4 seasons the football has continually got worse. Strachan has been a lucky manager but fluking wins here and there is not enough. Lets get someone in and get this team back playing good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Boruc's organising of the wall and positioning was absolutely terrible. It was more goalkeeper error than stunning free kick.

I tend to agree with this, I said to my brother as he was lining up for the kick 'Boruc looks too far over with the way that wall is positioned'. Good kick though.

Overall, I thought Celtic were bad and it really is sqeaky bum time. Strachans comments after games are really starting to grate. I would rather he did not speak than come out with the nonsense he comes out with.

I tend to agree with this, I said to my brother as he was lining up for the kick 'Boruc looks too far over with the way that wall is positioned'. Good kick though.

Overall, I thought Celtic were bad and it really is sqeaky bum time. Strachans comments after games are really starting to grate. I would rather he did not speak than come out with the nonsense he comes out with.
    only now?? been grating for a long time here

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I'm just back form abroad workin'. It is crazy how many Celtic fans around the world are. I bumped into fans in the least likely areas. I share the same concern, in my opionion and I'm not being biased but Celtic's squad compared to the huns is far better. We should be well ahead, can't help but blame Strachan to be honest..

I did think Boruc wasn't prepared for it alright, seemed like he didn't expect much to come from it. I still think it was a brilliantly taken free kick though, some bend on it.

Anyway it's a small point of a much bigger issue. Hearts were all over us for 80 mins of that game and we couldn't cope. I'd have been pissed off not to win that game had we played as well as Hearts. That's the real issue. We can cope with the Hamiltons, St. Mirrens, Kimarnocks and so on, but we have really struggled this season against the top 6 sides. The late goals we used to get in games just don't come anymore. Have had no inclination to go to CP this season and won't be going to any of the remaining games. :(

The tactics are baffling though, away to Hearts is no time to be experimenting with different formations/players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

a lot of points i agree with there lads:

firstly on buruc, ive said time and time again while watching matches that i dont like the way he sets up for free kicks, he seems to stand too far of his line. in saying that im not a goaly so maybe he knows best, im sure he gets good coaching (dont we have some well respected foreign goalkeeping coach? and a guy called jim blyth i think). not sure how many free kicks hes conceded anyway, cant remember many? plus it was a superb free kick by aguair.

on the note of not starting nakamura, think its just crazy. in my opinion he is our best player, just love some of the stuff he does. i think the idea that GS has is that we need to play physically tough players in the centre ofthe park in games like the one at tynecastle. he seems to want to play teams at their 'own game' if you get me. i think if we play out technically superior players (naka, crosas) the quality will shine through.

Also i hope strachan leaves at the end of the season, if we can just win this title, guarentee champions league football and then maybe hire a quality manager. personally i would like to see a different style on manager, maybe a foreign one, who puts more emphasis on quality football. i totally concede this may not fare great domestically and may take time to work but if we are to ever make the step up to the next stage in european football i feel this is needed.

on the note of player of the season have uz all voted on the club website? i went for scotty brown myself. no clear contender for young player of the year so went for my pal o'dea, im sure he'll get a few votes for the goal in the cup final!!

also i see the reserves can clinch an eight title in a row if they win this afternoon, bet ya donati scores the winner:D

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    on the note of not starting nakamura, think its just crazy. in my opinion he is our best player, just love some of the stuff he does. i think the idea that GS has is that we need to play physically tough players in the centre ofthe park in games like the one at tynecastle. he seems to want to play teams at their 'own game' if you get me. i think if we play out technically superior players (naka, crosas) the quality will shine through.

Agreed. Whatever about choosing a team and formation, I think away to Hearts is the last place to start fecking around, like putting Caldwell in the middle and starting Flood. He seems to have this thing about certain players being played all the time, very annoying. It's quite simple in my view - who are your best centre-backs at the moment, play them at centre-back. Who are your best midfielders, play them etc.. This insistence on playing Loovens AND Caldwell just bugs me.

I still think a 4-5-1 formation for the remaining matches away anyway would make sense, especially now it looks like JVoH is injured (again). Maloney is becoming available again, and a midfield choice of him, McGeady, Naka, Brown (when available), Crosas, Robson (when fit), Hartley and Flood should be able to dominate most games. Switch around as necessary to add Samaras in the mix. But above all, play your best players in THEIR NATURAL POSITIONS!!!!!
    Also i hope strachan leaves at the end of the season, if we can just win this title, guarentee champions league football and then maybe hire a quality manager. personally i would like to see a different style on manager, maybe a foreign one, who puts more emphasis on quality football. i totally concede this may not fare great domestically and may take time to work but if we are to ever make the step up to the next stage in european football i feel this is needed.

Ditto, I just think a change is needed at this point. I'm sure I'll get the "omg Strachan is soooooo brilliant, I can't believe you want him out, I want to ride him" etc. etc. stuff off certain posters, but as I've said before, two of our last 3 titles were Rangers self-imploding and the rest of the SPL being gash. Time for a change whether we win the title or not.
    also i see the reserves can clinch an eight title in a row if they win this afternoon, bet ya donati scores the winner:D

Donati, lol, probably!!

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll get the "omg Strachan is soooooo brilliant, I can't believe you want him out, I want to ride him" etc. etc.
    hahahahaha, brilliant

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement