Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Was at the game yesterday , have to say the performance was terrible from what i seen. I know it was god on paper with a two nil win but really we were playing against a VERY POOR Aberdeen side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Good news with Celtic at home to Hearts last game of season, is a massive bonus for them. Unfortunate for Rangers being away to Dundee Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

All massive games now starting with Aberdeen Saturday week, i really think he should go 5 in midfield with jvoh up front, Robson might be back with Harltley so we have some cover for Brown, and also with Maloney back to full fitness we have our big players back at the right time. I can see us beating them easily as when we have to win games we usually do like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Brewster wrote: »
    Good news with Celtic at home to Hearts last game of season, is a massive bonus for them. Unfortunate for Rangers being away to Dundee Utd

Ha Ha you are funny

Controversy plagues SPL fixture schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Your not honestly going to go along with the conspiracy theories coming out of Celtic Park this week are you?

This is the first time since the ridiculous split has come into play, and it is the first time that Celtic have had to travel to an away ground for the 3rd time in a season.

Rangers have had to do so 6 times including Hibs this year. Who troubled us pretty god damn badly at the weekend, i have no doubt in their ability to go one better in a couple of weeks time.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Your not honestly going to go along with the conspiracy theories coming out of Celtic Park this week are you?

Of course not, I am pointing out to Brewster that the post split fixture list is not some sort of Nivarna for Celtic

Of course not, I am pointing out to Brewster that the post split fixture list is not some sort of Nivarna for Celtic

Fair enough, although im dreading Tannadice on the last day to be perfectly frank, i do think that its gonna be a tough run in for both sides.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Fair enough, although im dreading Tannadice on the last day to be perfectly frank, i do think that its gonna be a tough run in for both sides.

It'll be won by then. Seriously.

PauloMN wrote: »
    It'll be won by then. Seriously.

By you lot if thats the case.

I can see us struggling in most games, were grinding out results at the moment but not playing particularly well to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gee was looking at boking flights for the hearts match at home , The prices of flights is crazy !!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Our pre-split away results against the other top 6 sides:

Hearts 1-1 Celtic
    Dundee Utd 2-2 Celtic
    Aberdeen 4-2 Celtic
    Rangers 0-1 Celtic
    Hibernian 2-0 Celtic
    Hearts 0-2 Celtic
    Dundee Utd 1-1 Celtic

9 points from a possible 21 points. 3 points was a brilliant strike from McDonald v Rangers in an otherwise ropey game. I honestly don't think we have a prayer of winning the league this season. I just hope Strachan picks suitable squads for the remaining games and doesn't mess about with players in odd positions. 5 in midfield for the away games please. I'd play Robson for Ibrox if fit.

Sarge wrote: »
    gee was looking at boking flights for the hearts match at home , The prices of flights is crazy !!!!!!!!!!!

Heineken Cup final might be something to do with it, well certainly for Sat morning flights... And flights home Sunday evening...

Am I correct in saying that folk on here don't think it is a massive advantage for Celtic to be home last day of season while Rangers are away?? If true, the mind boggles..

Our pre-split away results against the other top 6 sides:

Hearts 1-1 Celtic
    Dundee Utd 2-2 Celtic
    Aberdeen 4-2 Celtic
    Rangers 0-1 Celtic
    Hibernian 2-0 Celtic
    Hearts 0-2 Celtic
    Dundee Utd 1-1 Celtic

9 points from a possible 21 points. 3 points was a brilliant strike from McDonald v Rangers in an otherwise ropey game. I honestly don't think we have a prayer of winning the league this season. I just hope Strachan picks suitable squads for the remaining games and doesn't mess about with players in odd positions. 5 in midfield for the away games please. I'd play Robson for Ibrox if fit.

Another thing we agree on Paul!! Robson for Ibrox. An absolute must have for Celtic in this game, said this many times and was derided for it. Robson will be more important to Celtic that day than possibly any other player with exception of Boruc maybe. Grit and fight will be needed that day. A midfield of Hartley and Robson will provide this. I think a draw would be a great result for Celtic.

Am I correct in saying that folk on here don't think it is a massive advantage for Celtic to be home last day of season while Rangers are away?? If true, the mind boggles..

While I don't buy into this "we're hard done by" belief, and I wouldn't use the post-split fixtures as an excuse if (when) we lose the league, to talk about a massive advantage for Celtic is insane. Simply insane.

The post-split fixtures generally balance out over a couple of seasons, but this season Celtic have it tougher. That's just the way it is and we have to get on with it, but look at the fixtures and compare them.

Sooner this poxy split is done away with the better. Personally I'd like a 10 team league with each team playing the other 9 x 4 times, twice home and twice away. Would just do away with all this split nonsense. Don't think it'll happen though.

A midfield of Hartley and Robson will provide this. I think a draw would be a great result for Celtic.

Hmmm.... Hartley.... not sure I'd want both Robson and Hartley on the pitch at the same time.

As for a draw, we'll have to go for a win. A draw is quite likely and wouldn't be the end of the world, but I just think we're gonna drop too many points elsewhere for anything less than a win at Ibrox to suffice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Ferguson out for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Ferguson out for the season

Great for us aint it :p

Reserves clinched 8 in a row yesterday at Ibrox:
    http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_280409155656.aspx

Let's hope the first teamers can show the same fight in the last 5 matches of the season, starting on Saturday. Tough game v Aberdeen, was 4-2 to the sheep last time there. I don't think we'll lose (hope I haven't jinxed it saying that), but a draw is very possible. I'll be an optimist and go for a scrappy 1-2 win for Celtic though. ;)

• Advertisement

now its getting serious! :D

Its been a bizzare season so far, and i honestly dont see that changing in the last 5 games.

Both teams are liable to drop points outwith the Old Firm game, either at home or away.

I'm fairly confident that we can get a win against hearts this weekend, but im also confident celtic will get the result up in sheep country.

Bougherra will be a big miss for us however this weekend, but so will Brown for celtic who could do with him in a game that is always a battle rather than a football match.

Hopefully Velicka and Boyd can keep up their scoring form for us, while Hesselink goes back to his form of a month or so ago :D!

Fasten your seatbelts lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

all systems go now

C'MON THE HOOPS:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Naka is a doubt.

If Naka's fit I'd love to see:

Vennegoor
    Maloney
    McGeady
    Crosas --- Naka

Hartley

If Not:

McDonald --- Vennegoor
    Maloney -- Caldwell -- Crosas -- McGeady

eirebhoy wrote: »
    If Not:

McDonald --- Vennegoor
    Maloney -- Caldwell -- Crosas -- McGeady

Please no, not Caldwell in midfield. I think Strachan might do it, but I don't think I'll watch it if I see Caldwell starting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Both Naka and McManus have been passed fit to play :D

Both Naka and McManus have been passed fit to play :D

Now theres a surprise :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Please no, not Caldwell in midfield. I think Strachan might do it, but I don't think I'll watch it if I see Caldwell starting there.
    Ah you know what I think of Hartley by now. :) Slower on the ball, more defensive and a worse passer than Caldwell imo.

If we're playing 5 in midfield Hartley is more than welcome to join McGeady, Maloney, Naka and Crosas. We really ought to be playing 5 in midfield. But if he's going with a 4-4-2 I don't want to see Hartley.

It's hard to argue for Caldwell after Hearts dominating the first half against us though.

Is Robson not back in contention yet? Id have him over Caldwell and Hartley any day.

I think Robson said he's looking to get back for the Rangers game. I'd like to see him beside Crosas alright.

Ah you know what I think of Hartley by now. :) Slower on the ball, more defensive and a worse passer than Caldwell imo.

:D Yes, it's obvious what you think of him if you want Caldwell in there.

I agree he's defensive minded but I don't agree he's a worse passer than Caldwell. I think Caldwell has done well this season at centre back though, I wish Strachan would just leave him do a job there. It's honestly one of the things that's frustrated me most about Strachan this season
    If we're playing 5 in midfield Hartley is more than welcome to join McGeady, Maloney, Naka and Crosas. We really ought to be playing 5 in midfield. But if he's going with a 4-4-2 I don't want to see Hartley.

It's hard to argue for Caldwell after Hearts dominating the first half against us though.

I'd love us to play 5 in midfield for the remaining games, especially if Maloney is available as he's pacy enough to go forward quickly and can score goals. We have the best individual midfield talent in the SPL by far imo, but we don't seem to be able to get the most of those players together. A midfield of Naka, McGeady, Maloney, Crosas and Brown (when available) or A.N.Other should be tearing SPL teams to pieces really.

Team for today:

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Caldwell --- McManus --- Naylor
    Nakamura -- Hartley -- Crosas -- McGeady
    Vennegoor --- McDonald

• Advertisement

Can't see the sheep taking anything off Celtic today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

good opening 20mins with chances at both ends. looks like the pitch was relaid up in pittodrie?
    going for 3-1, mcdonald hat-trick;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Anyone got a linky for the game? HAd one a while ago but it went down 5mins into the match :(

Why oh why oh why does Strachan persist in zonal marking? We have shipped goals all season because of it

Another one today. Zonal marking with our players may torpedo the title

1-1 at HT, Celtic lucky really

Celtic have to play zonal marking. I wouldn't trust our entire midfield, McDonald, or Naylor to man mark a player. That leaves 4 players. 4 players should be enough to mark the real danger zones but not enough to man mark.

Anyway, very lucky to be level at half time. Caldwell gets the goal as it was certainly on target.

A change is needed at half time. Jan off for Maloney with Naka pushed inside.

Better in the 2nd half with McDonald doing really well.

Now, do we go to Ibrox for a win or do we hold out for a draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    good opening 20mins with chances at both ends. looks like the pitch was relaid up in pittodrie?
    going for 3-1, mcdonald hat-trick;)

not too far off!!

Shocking first half, much better second half. McDonald proving his worth again. First half was really dreadful though, Boruc made a great save and Aberdeen were the better side by far. They really should have gone in at half time at least 1 up.

Naylor is really slow, that guy Aluko easily had the beating of him on numerous occasions.

Great win in the end though. If we can play like we did second half against Rangers, we've a decent chance of at least a point.

C'mon Hearts. (shudder)

Better in the 2nd half with McDonald doing really well.

Now, do we go to Ibrox for a win or do we hold out for a draw?
    go for the win every time. got to get right into them from the off, no way are we giving up or handing the title away

intae thum Celtic

Strachan wins PFA manager of the year and Scott Brown wins player of the year. MCcarthy wins young player award.

• Advertisement

Referee Craig Thomson
    Assistant Referee 1 Francis Andrews
    Assistant Referee 2 Tom Murphy

4th Official Douglas McDonald

Referee Craig Thomson
    Assistant Referee 1 Francis Andrews
    Assistant Referee 2 Tom Murphy

4th Official Douglas McDonald

Good Scottish names 'Francis', and 'Murphy'....!!!!!!!!!!:pac::pac:

Glad you said that and not me :P

Hearts at home 3 times this season and they're still complaining:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/05/06/rangers-fury-over-old-firm-linesman-and-extra-rest-for-celtic-in-spl-title-run-in-86908-21335578/

Also putting a nice bit of pressure on Murphy not to give any decisions Celtic's way on Saturday. Nice work Walter. :rolleyes:

Unlike 'Craig', 'McDonald', 'Andrews', 'Thomson' & 'Douglas'... of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Just wondering is there going to be a gathering in town anywhere for this match.
    Not sure if Frazers still shows them, any alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119873

It's not just the original thread being a cracker, the 1st reply is something to behold, that and the next 15 pages of mocking.

This reply being a highlight

blueshortshorts wrote:
    Headline from the Daily Record Newspaper this evening...

"Celtic told tae Swivel"

A spokesman from Glasgow Rangers is quoted as saying, "I've spoken wie the big man Clarkie, and he's telt me whit they bastards are up tae..and we're telling them tae get tae feck, we're no changin our fixture for nae bastard, and if they think different well they can just swivel "

;)

Just wondering is there going to be a gathering in town anywhere for this match.
    Not sure if Frazers still shows them, any alternatives?
    Frazers is **** these days mate, head over to the Castle in Summerhill. great buzz in there

Hearts at home 3 times this season and they're still complaining:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/05/06/rangers-fury-over-old-firm-linesman-and-extra-rest-for-celtic-in-spl-title-run-in-86908-21335578/

Also putting a nice bit of pressure on Murphy not to give any decisions Celtic's way on Saturday. Nice work Walter. :rolleyes:

Well Paul, in fairness, had it not been for a shocker by the said Mr. Murphy earlier this season, Rangers would be top at the moment. He incorrectly flagged for an offside goal against Kris Boyd agaisnt Motherwell. My pal also told me that Murphy was the linesman that failed to rule out McDonald's offside goal in the last OF game last season, so Mr. Murphy has significant previous in relation to Rangers! I suspect thats where Mr. Smith is coming from....

• Advertisement

Well Paul, in fairness, had it not been for a shocker by the said Mr. Murphy earlier this season, Rangers would be top at the moment. He incorrectly flagged for an offside goal against Kris Boyd agaisnt Motherwell. My pal also told me that Murphy was the linesman that failed to rule out McDonald's offside goal in the last OF game last season, so Mr. Murphy has significant previous in relation to Rangers! I suspect thats where Mr. Smith is coming from....

Are you trying to say that Tom Murphy discriminates against Rangers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement