Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Thought this was more startling.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2009/05/12/exclusive-old-firm-ira-banner-man-is-dating-gordon-strachan-s-mice-86908-21351612/

And they say Strachan isn't "Celtic minded". :eek:

Look its not good ok. Its idiots like these that give decent law abiding Celtic fans a bad name. What a fool the guy must be, he is crying like a baby now about this and that... Too late son, hang your head in shame you stupid little boy. Its absolutely disgusting to see such displays at, what is at the end of a day, a football match. I don't think the Celtic fans on this board have any time for this garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Thought this was more startling.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2009/05/12/exclusive-old-firm-ira-banner-man-is-dating-gordon-strachan-s-mice-86908-21351612/

And they say Strachan isn't "Celtic minded". :eek:
    Brewster wrote: »
    Look its not good ok. Its idiots like these that give decent law abiding Celtic fans a bad name. What a fool the guy must be, he is crying like a baby now about this and that... Too late son, hang your head in shame you stupid little boy. Its absolutely disgusting to see such displays at, what is at the end of a day, a football match.

Was just reading about that in the barbers, what an idiot. He is now banned from Celtic games and the supporters club that he is a member of say that he is no longer welcome to travel with them.

I am off to the game tonight, as a neutral, but hoping for a Celtic win. My OH is an Aberdeen fan, so hoping they can make the Europa League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »

Cant waitt o see you lot running around the beaches in that monstrosity this summer! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd like to know who thought those shorts were a good idea, FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Team for tonight.

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Caldwell --- Loovens --- Naylor
    Crosas
    ---- Naka
    Brown
    McGeady --
    Samaras --- McDonald

Come on the Celts!

"Decent Old Firm fans" - What the **** does that mean daily record? Bloody rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Team for tonight.

Boruc
    Hinkel --- Caldwell --- Loovens --- Naylor
    Crosas
    ---- Naka
    Brown
    McGeady --
    Samaras --- McDonald

Come on the Celts!

"Decent Old Firm fans" - What the **** does that mean daily record? Bloody rag.

only stand out is samaras for vinegar on the kitchensink. be interesting to see how crosas performs tonite, had a shocker old firm.

As for that article, i didnt even read past the headline - wouldnt wipe my hoop wi that rag.

be interesting to see how crosas performs tonite, had a shocker old firm.
    He was excellent in the 2nd half. He had a decent 2nd half against Aberdeen too after a poor first. Once teams sit back it's playing to Crosas' strengths and most teams sit back at Celtic Park. He gets rid of the ball so quickly.

Playing 3 central midfielders would solve that problem imo. It is playing to the strength of all our midfielders.

• Advertisement

Crosas
    ---- Naka
    Brown
    McGeady --
    I wish he'd change this to play Brown beside Crosas. It would make such a difference in keeping hold of the ball.

Get in Glenn!

Nice one Loovens :D we needed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

McDonald a bit lucky there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

that tackle looked sore

What the hell is McDonald doing still on the pitch after that? not to mention the fact Loovens shouldnt be there either...

• Advertisement

Why should Loovens not be there? what are ye on about?

He should have been at the other end defending :D

He should have walked for his "tackle" on Edu at the weekend.
    He should have been at the other end defending :D

:D Dont do that, im too nervous to laugh these days! :D

If mcGeady's finishing was better he would be a great player rather than a good player imo.

He has the beating of their left back all day long but his shooting is poor

Very direct game. Not a long ball game but the attackers are having most of the ball.

As for McDonald. There's no way he meant to injur him. Absolutely no way. It was instinct to protect himself from the oncoming Wilkie imo. Trust me. Watch that in normal speed. You don't have the time to make any decision in that time.

• Advertisement

As for McDonald. There's no way he meant to injur him. Absolutely no way. It was instinct to protect himself from the oncoming Wilkie imo. Trust me. Watch that in normal speed. You don't have the time to make any decision in that time.

Agree, but will the SFA review that one now as well? Is the game not being refereed in hinsight now by replay anyway? Its in danger of coming that way.

Both incidents were on the ball incidents and the ref was in clear view. Therefore, imo if its not in the ref's report card at the end of the game it does not warrant review. That applies to all teams tbf.

Very direct game. Not a long ball game but the attackers are having most of the ball.

In order to protect himself he has to aim his studs at wilkies knee yeah? :confused:
    Agree, but will the SFA review that one now as well? Is the game not being refereed in hinsight now by replay anyway? Its in danger of coming that way.

Both incidents were on the ball incidents and the ref was in clear view. Therefore, imo if its not in the ref's report card at the end of the game it does not warrant review. That applies to all teams tbf.

I agree to be honest...still gonna whine about loovens for a wee while though, it makes me feel better! :pac:

was 2-0 :)

2-1 now :(

Edit: Dundee Utd all over Celtic since they scored

nervous 20 mins coming up!

Eirebear wrote: »
    In order to protect himself he has to aim his studs at wilkies knee yeah? :confused:
    When you're sliding on the ground with someone coming towards you your foot is likely to raise. When you're lying down and it looks like someone's going to stand on you you'll raise your leg. I don't know, maybe its your instinct protecting your balls because jesus I've even hit kids accidently when I think they're going to hit me there. :)

Poor performance but thank god the game is over. Come on Hibs now tomorrow!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't know, maybe its your instinct protecting your balls because jesus I've even hit kids accidently when I think they're going to hit me there. :)

Lol. Must remember that excuse. "Sorry I thumped your 5 year old there missus, thought he was going to wallop me in the balls."

Good first half, poor second half. Their goal really changed the game, just when we were cruising. There was a spell there around 80 mins which seemed to last for ages where we just couldn't get a touch of the ball. Could have been 3 up in the first half, but just as well we got the 2nd goal as I always thought they'd score.

Boruc, Caldwell, Loovens, Hinkel, Brown, McGeady, Naka (much better corners today), McDonald - all pass marks.

Naylor, Crosas, Samaras - grrrr.

Good win for Celtic. I fully expected them to win tonight, only saw last 20 mins, and to be fair United seemed to have the better of it. What was the story with crowd? There seemed thousands of empty seats?? Surely this is time when the fans should be getting right behind their team. Confused??

Crosas wasn't that bad imo. There was 1 or 2 dodgy occasions when he was pressurised and lost possession but other than that he played well. Strachan didn't play him right imo. He played him on his own in central midfield. If someone runs to put pressure on him there's nobody beside him for an out ball.

It's clear he's a very intelligent football. Positionally and his decision making. Technically excellent. We just have to play to his strengths. I love how he keeps things flowing and doesn't need to control the ball with a touch. That pass over the top to McDonald was top class. McDonald got onto it and tried to get the pass to Samaras but it was cut out.

The players weren't too bad today, just the system imo. Even first half. There wasn't much passing going on.

Crosas would dominate that Dundee Utd midfield if he was on it. So would Brown. So would Naka. It's up to Strachan to get the best out of these players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What an awful kit

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What an awful kit

Definitely looks like he's wearing either pyjamas or a kilt.

As someone on KDS said: "Do those shorts come with a sporan?" :D

I think the top is ok though. But will we be needing an international shirt anyway? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

When you're sliding on the ground with someone coming towards you your foot is likely to raise. When you're lying down and it looks like someone's going to stand on you you'll raise your leg. I don't know, maybe its your instinct protecting your balls because jesus I've even hit kids accidently when I think they're going to hit me there. :)

Poor performance but thank god the game is over. Come on Hibs now tomorrow!

Poor excuse for a shocking tackle to be honest I played football for years and never did what you describe unless I wanted to hurt someone

PauloMN wrote: »
    Definitely looks like he's wearing either pyjamas or a kilt.

As someone on KDS said: "Do those shorts come with a sporan?" :D

I think the top is ok though. But will we be needing an international shirt anyway? :(

Sure why would you wear a sporran over your boxers? :p

Poor excuse for a shocking tackle to be honest I played football for years and never did what you describe unless I wanted to hurt someone

The shocking challenge has been referred to SFA review panel. It was a straight red to be honest, again the suspension will not kick in till next season. Celtic have got very lucky here, if the refs and linesmen has seen these incidences properly and sent off the players Loovens and McDonald would have been suspended at a crucial time of the season. No one likes to see challenges like Saturday and last night on a football pitch. Celtic have got a break here and I think they will certainly benefit from them.

Maybe because you're tackles aren't judged in slow motion making it look like you even had a second to think about what to do with your leg.

McDonald is not that type of player in the least. If he gets any type of suspension for this it's a disgrace.

Brewster wrote: »
    The shocking challenge has been referred to SFA review panel. It was a straight red to be honest, again the suspension will not kick in till next season. Celtic have got very lucky here, if the refs and linesmen has seen these incidences properly and sent off the players Loovens and McDonald would have been suspended at a crucial time of the season. No one likes to see challenges like Saturday and last night on a football pitch. Celtic have got a break here and I think they will certainly benefit from them.

seen these incidents properly? both were 'on the ball' moments with the ref a matter of yards away on both occasions. As i said yesterday, if the ref is in view of an on the ball incident and there is no reference to it in his report card at the end of the match. There should be no retrospective come back (which is ruining the game imo). ffs move on sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Yeeeeeeeesssss!, Get in there!.

now that's the Riordan I remember....

Can't believe it. :D Riordan. Come on Hibs!!

You heard it hear first on Sat when I said Celtic would win league on GD. What a game. I tell ya one thing the SPL cant be accused of is lacking excitement!! That was some 2nd half. Think that could be ends of twist now....

• Advertisement

Excellent!! I can hardly believe it either and I dont think its the end of the drama!!

Once again this season, Rangers bottle going top by failing to win their next match.

EDIT: Double Post

Quote from match thread:
    So if we do win the two final games and the title does this mean we're stuck with Strachan for another season :mad:
    I'd be very surprised if Strachan stays. He knows how Celtic fans are feeling. The last 3 seasons the fans have sang his name as he lifted the title. The mood won't be like that this season.

I think Strachan should be immune from any name calling or booing tbh after the trophies he has won. I think it's time for him to go but if fans want to make their feelings clear they just have to do won simple thing, chant McGeady's name.

I just can't see Strachan staying. He's not enjoying it and I don't think he will see much bright lights in the future.

Unbelievable from rangers tonight.

From the extreme lack of anything up fron in the first half, to chance after chance in the second. Looks like the title is bound for parkhead now, as we've bottled it once again.

At the risk of sounding like Strachan though, that second half was honestly the best ive seen us play for months.

Quote from match thread:

I'd be very surprised if Strachan stays. He knows how Celtic fans are feeling. The last 3 seasons the fans have sang his name as he lifted the title. The mood won't be like that this season.

I think Strachan should be immune from any name calling or booing tbh after the trophies he has won. I think it's time for him to go but if fans want to make their feelings clear they just have to do won simple thing, chant McGeady's name.

I just can't see Strachan staying. He's not enjoying it and I don't think he will see much bright lights in the future.

Forcing a 4 in a row (if it happens) manager to quit will be more pathetic than the day Celtic FC nearly went bust imo

I dont see anyone doing any better than GS at the moment. He's brought Rangers almost to their knees (he will if we get 4IAR) and some other clown gets to capitalise and look like Jock Stein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

When we play Hibs at Easter Road they are always open attacking games so i would pick this team for the match Sunday.

Boruc

Hinkel Loovens Caldwell o'dea

Naka Brown Crosas Mcgeady

Maloney

Skippy

Jvoh is too slow these days to last 90 mins so leave him and Samaras on the bench. Have Maloney roaming around midfield and up front and play a pressing game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

How's Crosas developed in his first season of top flight football lads? Do the fans like him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

eZe^ wrote: »
    How's Crosas developed in his first season of top flight football lads? Do the fans like him?

I think he has had a very good season and has developed a good partnership with Brown, i think with a good pre season behind him that he will make great strides next season.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Forcing a 4 in a row (if it happens) manager to quit will be more pathetic than the day Celtic FC nearly went bust imo

I dont see anyone doing any better than GS at the moment. He's brought Rangers almost to their knees (he will if we get 4IAR) and some other clown gets to capitalise and look like Jock Stein.

It continues to amaze me, the apathy towards Strachan. It really does. Ill be accused of being a Rangers supporting windup merchant for saying this no doubt. The guy admits himself he has a sarcastic sense of humour, but who the hell cares when he has a record like he has. If he does go, the Celtic fans will soon realise the error of their ways if he is forced out. If Strachan says, it will be five titles in a row for Celtic next season without question. I believe only a new regime would give Rangers any glimmer of hope.

When the post split fixtures were announced, I said it was a massive advantage for Celtic to be at home last day of season when I felt they could be chasing goals. Guess what, this has transpired. Celtic were very disrespectful of Hibs insinuating that Hearts would be a tougher place to go than Hibs. What happened last night Bhoys??

When the crunch moments came, Celtic were always the stronger team and this is what has happened. There is no experience really in the Rangers team once Ferguson is taken out of it and this has cost them.

Fair play to Celtic, Ill criticise them in a fair manner when I see fit, but I wont be shy in praising them either when its deserved...

eZe^ wrote: »

Hide & Seek Champion of the last two games anyways.

Jury is out for me, he has good technical ability but other aspects of his game is lacking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Here's a bit of news for Celtic fans, James McCarthy is in talks with you's. I thought he was being tracked by Barca, Liverpool, Inter and Real so this would be massive if you got him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement