Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eZe^ wrote: »
    How's Crosas developed in his first season of top flight football lads? Do the fans like him?
    The last 3 games (Aberdeen, Rangers, Dundee Utd) have shown that he still has to get used to the SPL. Give him space and he's fantastic. He was excellent 2nd half against Aberdeen and Rangers as he was allowed to play. Dominated the 2nd half against Rangers.

I'd say he releases the ball quicker than any player at Celtic. When the ball is coming to him he'll only take the touch if he needs to. Most of the time he'll play the first time pass and keep things flowing. When there's no pass on and he does have to take a touch he'll touch the ball into an open space of the pitch to give himself more time. It's a simple thing but I'm not used to seeing these things in the SPL. ;)

His problem comes when there isn't a pass on, he has to hold the ball and he gets closed down. He's certainly no Scott Brown when it comes to keeping hold of the ball under pressure. Against Dundee United Strachan played him on his own behind Brown and the 2 wide players (stupid tactic imo). It meant when he was closed down he couldn't turn to his left or right and pass it as there was nobody there so he was caught with the ball twice in a few minutes.

He's a player no doubt but he just has to learn now how to play in tight situations.

You could be describing Glenn Whelan or Darren Gibson there Eirebhoy.

Give any Pro space and they'll look good. His only saving grace could be that he's Spanish and not a lager lout.

Dempsey wrote: »
    You could be describing Glenn Whelan or Darren Gibson there Eirebhoy.
    I don't think that 2nd paragraph would be a very accurate description of Whelan. :) Gibson yeh. Whelan's a good player though imo.

But anyway, "Give any Pro space and they'll look good"... tell Paul Hartley! ;)

Crosas needs time. His positional sense and decision making is on a different level to Hartley. I'd stick with Crosas in the team, just change the system and play himself and Brown side by side.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

He's brought Rangers almost to their knees (he will if we get 4IAR) and some other clown gets to capitalise and look like Jock Stein.

No, he hasn't. That's the point. They've done that all by themselves the past few seasons.

It's great winning leagues, but Rangers have gifted us two of the last three.

Smith gets a lot more out of an average side than Strachan gets out of more talented (imo) players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Strachan is an average manager on his good days.

Is an average manager good enough for Celtic.

I would not see a very long queue of big clubs looking to sign Strachan if he leaves Celtic.

PauloMN wrote: »
    No, he hasn't. That's the point. They've done that all by themselves the past few seasons.

It's great winning leagues, but Rangers have gifted us two of the last three.

Smith gets a lot more out of an average side than Strachan gets out of more talented (imo) players.

I disagree, Celtic were heading straight for the same iceberg as we were in over £20M debt, a crippling wage bill and a squad of players ready for zimmerframes. He's turned all that around whilst winning. Rangers didnt listen to PLG and backed a player over their manager, thats their mistake. They've borrowed and borrowed trying to catch GS's team and failed everytime so far so it is his doing to a large degree.

I think its a case of overrating our players tbh, Strachan has had to endure alot of mediocrity because of the transfer policy implemented by Lawwell. He has no influence on transfer policy so you cant blame him for the standard of the squad.

Looks like you are bored of winning the SPL, and a possible 4IAR, maybe you should go support Aston Villa or something. Do you think that Rangers supporters care that we were 5 mins from being closed during when they won the 9IAR?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I disagree, Celtic were heading straight for the same iceberg as we were in over £20M debt, a crippling wage bill and a squad of players ready for zimmerframes. He's turned all that around whilst winning. Rangers didnt listen to PLG and backed a player over their manager, thats their mistake. They've borrowed and borrowed trying to catch GS's team and failed everytime so far so it is his doing to a large degree.

I think its a case of overrating our players tbh, Strachan has had to endure alot of mediocrity because of the transfer policy implemented by Lawwell. He has no influence on transfer policy so you cant blame him for the standard of the squad.

Looks like you are bored of winning the SPL, and a possible 4IAR, maybe you should go support Aston Villa or something. Do you think that Rangers supporters care that we were 5 mins from being closed during when they won the 9IAR?

So you talk about how we were in huge debt and then blame mediocrity on Lawwell? Peter Lawwell has put this club in a sound position financially, that can't be argued with. Of course I'd like him to make more money available each window, but that's not going to happen.

However I disagree on me overrating players. I look at individual talents like Naka, McGeady, Crosas and Brown and wonder why we often fail to dominate teams in midfield. Not even including Maloney in there. That 4 are the best midfielders in the SPL without doubt (well Crosas maybe needs to prove himself more but no doubt he's got talent). Personally I feel Strachan should be getting more from those players together.

I don't dislike Strachan, in fact I like the guy. But certain things about him have always annoyed me:
    - His treatment of the press: like it or not, the press is what the fans see. This walking out of press conferences just because he gets a question he doesn't like is pathetic. He doesn't have to like them, just not act like a petulant child all the time. Fans watch press conferences and often want an answer to a question asked by the press, even if he doesn't like it. WTF not tell us why he didn't start McGeady for example?
    - His persistence with playing certain players through long spells of poor performance. JVoH and McManus are two here.
    - The baffling team selections. I'm not foolish enough to think they'd change every result, but why does he make decisions that are so obviously flawed? Not starting McGeady, his Caldwell midfield experiments etc.. Motherwell at home last season.

I won't be too put out if he's around next season, however I think a fresh approach would be good.

So you talk about how we were in huge debt and then blame mediocrity on Lawwell? Peter Lawwell has put this club in a sound position financially, that can't be argued with. Of course I'd like him to make more money available each window, but that's not going to happen.

Would that have been done so quickly without the league and relative UCL success that Strachan has given consistently? NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tommy Burns died this day a year ago still can't get over it, RIP Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Brewster wrote: »
    I DO NOT CARE gentlemen. I dont know how I can put this any clearer for you??
    i know, how about you piss off to the board of the team you actually support (who is that by the way??)

for someone who doesn't care, you have enough to say. doesn't seem to me that you don't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

poindexter wrote: »
    i know, how about you piss off to the board of the team you actually support

But there is no board for TFoD!

Hide & Seek Champion of the last two games anyways.

Jury is out for me, he has good technical ability but other aspects of his game is lacking
    But there is no board for TFoD!
    the 'bears' :rolleyes: on here aint too bad though, brewster is like some guy just on the wind up. like the guy who rings sportsound on a saturday evening and calls jim traynor 'james'. a kind of condescending way about it.

anyway, i'm looking forward to going to easter rd on sunday, like the start and singing along to 'sunshine on leith':D

whiiiile am worth
    ma rrroooom on this earth
    i i i will be, with you

I think we'll need not just a win on Sunday, but a big win. I expect Rangers will pump the sheep 3 or 4 nil today to eliminate the goal difference. Even though they're away and we're at home for the last day, we'd want to be going into that last game a couple of goals ahead again.

Squeaky bum time for the next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

the 'bears' :rolleyes: on here aint too bad though, brewster is like some guy just on the wind up. like the guy who rings sportsound on a saturday evening and calls jim traynor 'james'. a kind of condescending way about it.

anyway, i'm looking forward to going to easter rd on sunday, like the start and singing along to 'sunshine on leith':D

whiiiile am worth
    ma rrroooom on this earth
    i i i will be, with you

Why thank you :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Just watching the Rangers v Aberdeen match there, very poor show from Kyle Lafferty getting Charlie Mulgrew sent off by feigning a headbutt. Had the cheek to wink to a teammate after teh incident too. The commentators were very critical of him afterward.

Just watching the Rangers v Aberdeen match there, very poor show from Kyle Lafferty getting Charlie Mulgrew sent off by feigning a headbutt. Had the cheek to wink to a teammate after teh incident too. The commentators were very critical of him afterward.
    that was disgraceful, i wonder if he will be up in front of a panel for blatant cheating

I wonder if we will hear the clamour for TV evidence and the case to be referred to the SFA. Lafferty has just cheated Aberdeen and especially Mulgrew.

animals the core

30 secs in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

animals the core

After the tackles from Loovens and McDonald in recent weeks you have no right calling ANYONE animals.

Laffertys behavious was disgraceful and i sincerely hope it is dealt with by the SFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

What did you all make of the Bougherra incident? Certainly was a very dangerous tackle, studs hit the back of the keepers head. Was it worth a red though?

Eirebear wrote: »
    After the tackles from Loovens and McDonald in recent weeks you have no right calling ANYONE animals.

Laffertys behavious was disgraceful and i sincerely hope it is dealt with by the SFA.
    what about bougherra?? did he deserve to go?? i really believe in karma and that will come back and bite laugherty big time

in all honesty i never seen mcdonalds tackle, what i heard though was lee wilkie got up and on with it and never complained about it. loovens knew what he was doing and gladly pulled away rather than going right through him which he could very easily could have done-neil simpson style and no one wants that.

I think Bougherra was stupid and it was a dangerous tackle, it appears he comes down on Langfield with the back of his boot as well as trying to kick the ball out of his crasp and flail his arms onto Langfields leg.

If McDonald deserved to see red during the week, do did Bougherra. I do not think it was a case of evening it up following Laffertys cheating.

Edit: Dangerous tackle and a justified Red imo

977.jpg

Bougherra was a strange one, it looked a 50-50 at first, but his studs where up and he had very little chance of the ball.
    Ive seen them given, seen them not given.

I do believe it was the Linesman evening things up however as the ref wasnt giving anything untill he got involved.

Ferguson coming on...sums it up really....

• Advertisement

Aberdeen caught on the counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

get in there !!

3-0 to Celtic tomorrow will do nicely

Wilkie & McDonald exchanged jersey's after the match. That tackle is blown out of proportion altogether

Mulgrew should have his card rescinded though and Lafferty should cop discipline by the club and the SFA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Rangers players are disgracing themselves and their club on a regular basis these days.

First Ferguson and McGregor on Scotland duty and now Lafferty for Rangers.

Do these players not care how much they drag the name of their club into the gutter.

• Advertisement

You have to drop that McDonald one surely and just accept that you're bias is clouding your opinion. :)

"Stuart Dougal didn't miss this one. He just didn't think there was anything in it - and Lee's reaction suggests he felt the same way.

“He even asked me for my shirt at the end of the game. Do you think he would have done that if he thought I had tried to seriously injure him?

"We shook hands and swapped shirts and I even had a laugh with him asking him to do us a turn by beating Rangers in the last game of the season!

"It's only because the tackle has been highlighted on TV and in the papers that The SFA have stepped in.

“It's become a big deal because the ref wouldn't allow Lee to be treated.

"Yes, I must admit, when you look at the pictures in slow motion it doesn't look good. But in actual speed it was nothing much more than a brush and I certainly did not try to injure big Lee.

"Lee knows I wasn't trying to hurt him and the ref knew it too.

“That's why I don't understand what this is all about."

All in Celtic's hands now. The goal difference is secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Hibs are looking like they are going to be hard to break down today :(

Extremely disappointing stuff. We had no invention or guile. We just pumped balls high for Jones to mop up. A shambles.

Looked a good shout for a penalty in the last minute though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Don't think my ticker can take much more of this :eek:

Permutations next week

For Celtic to win the league they need to beat Hearts and hope Rangers draw or lose against Dundee United.

My poor heart can't take another one of these SPL specials

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Everything is working out exactly as I expected it to. I expect United to take something from Rangers as they need a point for to be sure of European football. Celtic will win and win league on GD. I didnt see Rangers game, if Lafferty dived to get a player sent off, he must be condemned by all fans on this board. Saw game today, and I thought Hibs did what they had to do. How close was Naylor getting to the corner and popping it in? It was very close. Hesslink had a great chance from a header, other than that they had few very chances. There was no way Celtic were going to get a penalty in injury time from Nakamuras fall, he played for it. Never a peno in my opinion. I posted on there before about the respect I had for McDonald, what a player the wee man is. However, recently he has start to dive too much in my opinion. Needs to cut this out! What an exciting league the SPL is. Might take in a game next week as I am over in Scotland for Heineken Cup final! Cmon Leinster!

Brewster wrote: »
    if Lafferty dived to get a player sent off, he must be condemned by all fans on this board.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60270661&postcount=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Thanks Mr Strachan now dont slam the door on the way out.

Bye Bye!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yet another unsurprising away result. It's been our weakness this season big time. Thought given it was the 2nd last game and Rangers had handed us the advantage that it might have been different, but there you go. Away results have cost us the title.

Just can't see Rangers losing now that we've yet again handed them the initiative. Any win will do for them next week, maybe even a draw if we bomb against Hertz. We don't deserve the title this season to be honest about it.

Unless something seriously changes in the squad over the summer, we're bollixed for CL qualifiers also. Those manky tartan shorts won't be seen much - at least that's something positive. :D

Thats shocking. Lafferty was as guilty as moving his face towards the other guy as much as other way round. Hopefully the card will be rightfully rescinded. Thats cynical cheating and theres no place for that in football, yes the stakes are high for Rangers and Celtic but thats awful. In fairness the Rangers lads were quick to condemn him on this forum.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Yet another unsurprising away result. It's been our weakness this season big time. Thought given it was the 2nd last game and Rangers had handed us the advantage that it might have been different, but there you go. Away results have cost us the title.

Just can't see Rangers losing now that we've yet again handed them the initiative. Any win will do for them next week, maybe even a draw if we bomb against Hertz. We don't deserve the title this season to be honest about it.

Unless something seriously changes in the squad over the summer, we're bollixed for CL qualifiers also. Those manky tartan shorts won't be seen much - at least that's something positive. :D

It aint over yet Paul, not by a long shot. I just looked at table and United need a point for Europe. Even if they had nothing to play for, there is bad blood between the clubs and Id expect a very strong United performance. However as the game means something for them, I just cant see Rangers winning up there. Thats my genuine view on the game, there are many reasons why I have come to this conclusion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

haven't neither celtic or rangers managed to beat dundee this season either?? :D

still I'm pessimistic about it all, if celtic couldn't push themselves over the line whwn all they had to do was win two games I wouldn't be too hopeful.

a dominant team they are but can't score goals!?

Anyone got any fingernails i can borrow? Ive chewed up mines, the Mrs' and im onto the cats.....

its been a hell of a season eh? neither team looks really worthy of being champions and the last couple of months have shown it.

I think Rangers will struggle at Tannadice on sunday, we always do....hold onto your hats lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Anyone got any fingernails i can borrow? Ive chewed up mines, the Mrs' and im onto the cats.....

its been a hell of a season eh? neither team looks really worthy of being champions and the last couple of months have shown it.

I think Rangers will struggle at Tannadice on sunday, we always do....hold onto your hats lads!

How do you think Smith will play it, go for it or pack the midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

neither team looks really worthy of being champions and the last couple of months have shown it.

Absolute nail on head neither of them are anywhere good enough

Anyone know much about Swindon striker Simon Cox that Celtic are been linked with??? If he actually has the ability to kick a ball and not fall over it can only be an improvement to what we have been subjected to this season, McDonald apart.

Badabing wrote: »
    How do you think Smith will play it, go for it or pack the midfield?

I think there is very little chance Smith will go all out from the start, its just not his style.

However in the last few games he has shown the ability to step the team up a gear when needs be, so depending on how things are going at Parkhead...who knows.

It's gonna be a nervy occasion though, United need a point so theyre not going to sit back either.

• Advertisement

It's only Tuesday mate, don't want to see what your fingers will look like by Sunday morning!

Absolutely. As I read elsewhere, regardless of who wins the title, it should be announced like "...and the winner of the least **** team in Scotland award 2009 is...". Rotten season, Celtic utterly predictable and painful to watch.

Had a mate of mine (Liverpool supporter) in watching the last couple of derbies and I have to say they certainly weren't a good advertisement for what is supposed to be one of the world's best derby matches. Found myself apologising for how ****e they were in fact.

I've resigned myself to not winning the league, have done for months. So if Rangers do crumble on Sunday, it'll be a big bonus as far as I'm concerned, assuming we win of course which also is not a given. Before Christmas, I'd have been annoyed by the Hibs result, but when watching it last weekend I was just totally unsurprised. Hopefully something changes for next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement