Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

eirebhoy wrote: »
    'Gordon Strachan to quit' rumours grow

Strachan made a specific point of not inviting any questions about his future yesterday, which only served to heighten the suspicion that Sunday's game at Celtic Park will be his last at the club. A number of Celtic players said in private yesterday that Strachan has made no intimations to them about his plans for next season.

Didnt he walk out of a press conference over hacks asking him about the Sunderland job when he told them not to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I'd say wee GS will be gone regardless of how the results go at the weekend tbh.

What was Samaras on about saying "Rangers dont deserve the league". The team with the most points on Sunday deserve the league, simple. flaming eejit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I'd say wee GS will be gone regardless of how the results go at the weekend tbh.

What was Samaras on about saying "Rangers dont deserve the league". The team with the most points on Sunday deserve the league, simple. flaming eejit :rolleyes:

I think Mr Samaras would be better advised to do his talking on the pitch! He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the last few months.... My pal who goes to a lot of Celtic games says he looks disinterested on the pitch too much of the time. He has ability but doesn't exactly play for the jersey...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic don't deserve the league either.

Samaras is a gobby one, no doubt about it. I've no problem with players giving it all that, but he's hardly player-of-the-year now is he?

Do your talking on the pitch Sammy, then you can mouth off as much as you want.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Celtic don't deserve the league either.

Samaras is a gobby one, no doubt about it. I've no problem with players giving it all that, but he's hardly player-of-the-year now is he?

Do your talking on the pitch Sammy, then you can mouth off as much as you want.

Paul, I wonder how the Samaras Miller scoring competition is going! I posted on here a few months back that Miller would score more goals than Samaras till the end of season when Kenny was being slagged off by Celtic fans on the forum. I don't know how its fared out. I do know this for sure, Kenny Miller is a far better player than some Celtic fans would have you believe. if Samaras had half the heart of Kenny Miller I genuinely think he could be a top premiership or CL striker.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Feckin' hell, I can't wait for Sunday. Arse is making music already. :pac:

C'mon the Hoops. Early goal and win against Hearts, and a draw at Tannadice. Here's hoping Zaluska can be a hero even before he puts a Celtic jersey on.

I'd put my house on Rangers getting a penalty though.

Feckin' hell, I can't wait for Sunday. Arse is making music already. :pac:

C'mon the Hoops. Early goal and win against Hearts, and a draw at Tannadice. Here's hoping Zaluska can be a hero even before he puts a Celtic jersey on.

I'd put my house on Rangers getting a penalty though.

Arteta scenario this sunday. I'd bet on it nearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    Arteta scenario this sunday. I'd bet on it nearly

Oh yaaaaawwwwwwnnnn!

The "arteta scenario" was a clear penalty. Dry your eyes lads.

No doubt we'll see more proffesional and respectful comments coming from the celtic camp like we did that year should rangers win on sunday too....

Eirebear wrote: »
    Oh yaaaaawwwwwwnnnn!

The "arteta scenario" was a clear penalty. Dry your eyes lads.

No doubt we'll see more proffesional and respectful comments coming from the celtic camp like we did that year should rangers win on sunday too....

I'd question the motives of the Mirren players of that day tbh, not the referee or Rangers players. They were a shambles and if Hearts rolled over at CP, highly unlikely, I'd say Rangers fans wouldnt like it either

• Advertisement

I'd question the motives of the Mirren players of that day tbh, not the referee or Rangers players. They were a shambles and if Hearts rolled over at CP, highly unlikely, I'd say Rangers fans wouldnt like it either

I think your off your head to be quite honest.

I was at that game, and i seem to remember Rangers struggling against a Dunfermline side who had equalised after we went 1-0 up.
    It took a fantastic wide run and cross from Amoruso to get things going again and for Rangers to show some belief in themselves. After that Rangers piled on an immense amount of pressure and played extremely well.

On the other hand, Celtic went to a Rugby park ground where they had struggled for a while before then, and managed to score four times...not to mention the penalty which Celtic themselves missed.

I think Mr Sutton's comments after that game where a complete and utter disgrace, and i find it hard to believe that seemingly intelligent celtic fans are still backing him on it.

Which St Mirren team would this?! Assuming we are talking about the famous Chris Sutton rant?! Having checked my sources, I think ull find Dunfermline are the team you are talking about!!! :D:pac::D

Brewster wrote: »
    Which St Mirren team would this?! Assuming we are talking about the famous Chris Sutton rant?! Having checked my sources, I think ull find Dunfermline are the team you are talking about!!! :D:pac::D

lol, well spotted...made the same mistake myself!

Aye confused the jerseys :o

A player who played with his heart on his sleeve had a rant after they lost a league by a single goal, didnt see that coming!

A player who played with his heart on his sleeve had a rant after they lost a league by a single goal, didnt see that coming!

He had a rant about fellow proffesionals "Lying down". To me that is disgusting and out of order.

And here you are still to this day questioning Dunfermlines motives. Surely the anger and hurt you felt that day has subsided? Surely you can think a little clearer now and look at the facts?

Eirebear wrote: »
    He had a rant about fellow proffesionals "Lying down". To me that is disgusting and out of order.

And here you are still to this day questioning Dunfermlines motives. Surely the anger and hurt you felt that day has subsided? Surely you can think a little clearer now and look at the facts?

I'm thinking clearly, dont worry about that. Maybe you should review the match and see how Rangers dominated them so easily. Previous results against them that season wouldnt suggest such a walkover

• Advertisement

I'm thinking clearly, dont worry about that. Maybe you should review the match and see how Rangers dominated them so easily. Previous results against them that season wouldnt suggest such a walkover

And neither would Celtic's against Kilmarnock.

I remember the game clearly and it took our central defender to grab the game by the scruff of the throat before Rangers showed any belief that they could go out there and score goals.

Remember were talking about a home tie against a team who finished 11th, compared to an away tie against a team who finished mid table.

Its never as simple as the best team won with you lot is it? Always has to be some sort of conspiracy.

Aye confused the jerseys :o

Dempsey, I doubt you will find one poster on this board that would back up your opinions about Dunfermline! Chris Sutton made a tits of himself, I remember at the time everyone laughing at him!! As someone that supports neither OLD FIRM team, but has friends on both sides, let me tell you, you are talking nonsense!

Anyway, best of luck to both OLD FIRM teams over weekend, I just hope there are no debatable decisions to discuss next week! Im off to Edinburgh for the rugby so Ill be in the country to see the action unfolding on Sunday! ... Cmon Leinster :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

On a lighter note:
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article1872324.ece

What a fuсkin' messed up country!
    indeed it is
    Yawn Yawn... Was wondering when there would be another posting about how great Celtic fans were and what muppets Rangers fans were..!! Yawn Yawn. Doesn't even warrent a response. Please lets get back to discussing football, these arguments never go anywhere or achieve anything.
    yawn yawn indeed, brewsters here

samaras aint done enough in my books to be shouting his mouth off at about anyone, he'd be better looking at his own part in this
    Paul, I wonder how the Samaras Miller scoring competition is going! I posted on here a few months back that Miller would score more goals than Samaras till the end of season when Kenny was being slagged off by Celtic fans on the forum. I don't know how its fared out. I do know this for sure, Kenny Miller is a far better player than some Celtic fans would have you believe. if Samaras had half the heart of Kenny Miller I genuinely think he could be a top premiership or CL striker.
    yawn yawn
    Dempsey, I doubt you will find one poster on this board that would back up your opinions about Dunfermline! Chris Sutton made a tits of himself, I remember at the time everyone laughing at him!! As someone that supports neither OLD FIRM team, but has friends on both sides, let me tell you, you are talking nonsense!

Anyway, best of luck to both OLD FIRM teams over weekend, I just hope there are no debatable decisions to discuss next week! Im off to Edinburgh for the rugby so Ill be in the country to see the action unfolding on Sunday! ... Cmon Leinster :)
    yawn yawn

poindexter wrote: »
    indeed it is

yawn yawn indeed, brewsters here

samaras aint done enough in my books to be shouting his mouth off at about anyone, he'd be better looking at his own part in this

yawn yawn

yawn yawn

You must be very tired there poindexter with all that yawning, maybe you should take a nap?!:pac::pac::D

I think Bougherra was stupid and it was a dangerous tackle, it appears he comes down on Langfield with the back of his boot as well as trying to kick the ball out of his crasp and flail his arms onto Langfields leg.

If McDonald deserved to see red during the week, do did Bougherra. I do not think it was a case of evening it up following Laffertys cheating.

Edit: Dangerous tackle and a justified Red imo

977.jpg

Red reduced to yellow on appeal:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8053821.stm

well well well, no suprises there then

• Advertisement

You must be very tired there poindexter with all that yawning, maybe you should take a nap?!:pac::pac::D
    i just find some people kind of tiring is all brewster. hard working man here though, no time for napping.

do you still think Celtic will win it??

i just find some people kind of tiring is all brewster. hard working man here though, no time for napping.

do you still think Celtic will win it??

Not as convinced as I was before last Sunday's result obviously! I can't call it, think its 50 50 probably at this stage. Anything can happen on these kinda occasions to be fair. First goals in these type of occasions could be even more critical than usual. Looking forward to it immensly!

Red reduced to yellow on appeal:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8053821.stm

well well well, no suprises there then

No not really, especially seeing as it wasn't a red card....

No not really, especially seeing as it wasn't a red card....

My lack of suprise is different to yourself then, in that it clearly was a red and this is just another little boost to the rangers squad by the SFA ahead of the crunch games on Sunday.

Anyway, im outta here. enjoy the games sunday - that goes to the blue noses too, of course. :p

Anyway, im outta here. enjoy the games sunday - that goes to the blue noses too, of course. :p

Yep. Same goes to you guys too. May the best team win!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Enjoy your day bhoys and may the best team win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Mr Samaras would be better advised to do his talking on the pitch! He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the last few months.... My pal who goes to a lot of Celtic games says he looks disinterested on the pitch too much of the time. He has ability but doesn't exactly play for the jersey...
    Your pal is off the mark. :) He has been rubbish since the start of the season but he can't be faulted for effort or willingness to learn.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    he can't be faulted for effort or willingness to learn.

Much like the rest of his breed!
    afghan-hound-0016.jpg

Nakamura
    Relationship may be approaching its final days, but the romance between Celtic's fans and the Japanese artist will continue says Hugh MacDonald

Tish, tish. The wind whistles through the wire-mesh fence. The rain falls as it always seems to do in this corner of Lennoxtown. But Makoto Kaneko only hears the tish, tish.

It is the sound of a series of battered and bruised footballs hitting the net behind him.

In front of Kaneko is a wooden contraption crudely approximating a defensive wall. In front of that is Shunsuke Nakamura, a 30-year-old Japanese midfielder who has learned to practise as much as he practises to learn.

advertisement
    The rain desperately sweeps Celtic's training pitches in search of someone to drench. But only Naka remains with his trusty interpreter who doubles as a non-diving goalkeeper. It is almost stereotypical Nakamura. It testifies to the dedication that has become synonymous with the playmaker. But amid the sweat and the toil, Nakamura's relationship with Celtic resembles nothing more than a romance.

Like all romances, it carries emotion, memories and something of substance. Nakamura seems ready to go home. The Celtic supporters seem resigned to losing him. But they will always have Rugby Park and Manchester United, they will always remember the flicks and twirls, the screamer against Rangers . . .

There have been greater players at Celtic Park but Nakamura's contributions are both significant and highly visible. His goal against Kilmarnock in 2007 clinched a league that Celtic were suddenly finding it awkward to win. His strike against Rangers at Celtic Park last season signalled that a championship was not yet out of his side's grasp. His goal against Manchester United in November 2006 was simply the shot that was heard around the world.

As Martin Greig recalls in TheZen of Naka, his intriguing and compelling take on the Japanese master, the goal that won a Champions League group game was watched by the Celtic diaspora worldwide. It attracts a glut of clicks on websites even yet.

Nakamura, almost unwittingly, stands as a representative of what modern football offers and how its significance can be endlessly repeated on an online loop. Nakamura, of course, needs no link to the internet to celebrate his affinity with Celtic and the fans. His modest, hunched walks to the corner flag are greeted with adulation.

Yet he serves as an example of how the business of football has changed but how the romance of the game has not.

Nakamura has advanced through great talent and an even stronger will. Almost discarded as a youngster because of his slight frame, he persevered to play in SerieA with Reggina and then prosper in the Scottish Premier League where he has shown a physical and moral bravery.

Nakamura always takes the dunts and always takes the ball. Many commentators have held on to first impressions of the midfielder. They still insist he can disappear from games. But close scrutiny of Nakamura, particularly over the last year, must surely convince the sceptics that Nakamura never shirks either work or responsibility.

His modernity is emphasised by his dedication to training. There is the famous warm-down that includes a hot and cold bath, a series of stretches and a visit to the gym. His stature as a man apart is signposted by the small huddle of his fellow countrymen who gather around him and gather quotes for a Japanese public who need, absolutely need, to know everything about their exiled genius.

Shin Toyofuku, one of these chroniclers, has followed Nakamura from Japan to Italy to Glasgow. "He is a polite man," says Toyofuku. "He is not difficult to deal with and aware of our needs."

But what does Toyofuku believe Celtic have given Nakamura, apart from a healthy pay check? "He has gained both physical and mental strength," says the newspaperman.

Nakamura keeps his distance from the Scottish press. Kaneko interprets for him on the rare occasions he is presented to the media. But many believe that Nakamura speaks better English than he lets on.

If his words have to be translated, his actions do not. There are two images of Nakamura that show the measure of the man. One is of him trooping off Celtic Park after the penalty shoot-out victory over Spartak Moscow that took the club into the group stages of the Champions League.

"It was a euphoric moment for the club and its supporters," recalls Greig, his biographer, "but when the winning penalty hit the net Nakamura turned and walked quietly off the park with his head bowed. He had missed a penalty in the shoot-out and spurned three chances late in the game. He was disconsolate. Afterwards, when speaking to the Japanese press, he was almost in tears.

"In Japan, the concept of group responsibility is huge. Nakamura felt he had failed to play his part in the collective achievement and therefore had no right to draw any individual joy from victory. It said everything about the pursuit of perfection that has been the driving force of his career since his mid-teens." But there were other episodes in the romance and many were ones of joy.

"The one moment that seems to sum up Nakamura's Celtic career was his reaction to scoring the free-kick that won the league against Kilmarnock in 2007," says Greig. "He tore off his shirt and twirled it around his head like a maniac before diving into the crowd behind the goals. In Britain and Europe, such a reaction might be deemed unremarkable but for a Japanese player to display such emotion was astonishing to a Far East audience. It summed up how much the adoration from the Celtic fans had drawn Nakamura out of his shell. Nakamura has given so much to Celtic, but Celtic has returned the compliment. The result is a player who has woven himself into the fabric of the club in a way only a select band of players ever manage."

And this is how the romance will continue. Nakamura will go but the memories will remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

huh?

ziggy wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're replying to my post a few pages back about the Austrian league being stronger than the SPL? :) Who got nearly all of those coefficients? :)

I think this goes a long way to showing that the Austrian league is stronger. Transfers over €1m last summer (no team in the league spent less than €500k on one player or €3.4m total):

Szabolcs Safar (€1.3m)
    Jacek Bak (€1.3m)
    Franz Schiemer (€1.3m)
    Joachim Standfest (€1.3m)
    Xiang Sun (€1m)
    Milenko Acimovic (€2.9m)
    Klaus Salmutter (€1m)
    Michael Morz (€1.1m)
    Carsten Jancker (€1m)
    Helge Payer (€1.5m)
    Mario Tokic (€1.5m)
    Markus Katzer (€1.3m)
    Jurgen Patocka (€1m)
    Steffen Hofmann (€3.3m)
    Markus Heikkinen (€1.5m)
    Branko Boskovic (€1.4m)
    Veli Kavlak (€1.2m)
    Erwin Hoffer (€1m)
    Timo Ochs (€1.4m)
    Barry Opdam (€2m)
    Ibrahim Sekagya (€1.9m)
    Ronald Gercaliu (€1.2m)
    Sasa Ilic (€2.9m)
    Johan Vonlanthen (€2m)
    Christoph Leitgeb (€2m)
    Somen Tchoyi (€1.5m)
    Niko Kovac (€1.3m)
    Alexander Zickler (€2.4m)
    Samir Muratovic (€1.5m)
    Mario Haas (€1.1m)

Not as convinced as I was before last Sunday's result obviously! I can't call it, think its 50 50 probably at this stage. Anything can happen on these kinda occasions to be fair. First goals in these type of occasions could be even more critical than usual. Looking forward to it immensly!
    no way, you reall think so :P

nerves kicking in here now. if utd score one which i kinda expect them to, will rangers score 2. same again, if hertz score v us will we score 2.

seriously thinking of just going for a walk or something when the game is on tomoro and not bringing the phone with me, then again i might go to the pub and get pissed and celebrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Inverness Relegated.

No harm.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Inverness Relegated.

No harm.
    good riddance

good riddance

Shock and Horror Rangers fan and Celtic Fan agree on something :):):):):eek:

Delighted for falkirk staying uo, hopefully now John Hughes can add a wee bit of bite to his team who play some fantastic football as it is.

Ive grown to like the big guy a lot in recent months, its refreshing to see a manager who calls it as it is...wether decions go for or against his team.

maybe we could all learn from his attitude.....

Well just over 5 hours till it all kicks off and the nerves are starting to kick in here we go another last day decider and bragging rights for a while to the winners hope every one has a good day and stays safe

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Match is on setanta 2.
    So ****in annoyin
    I was Sure they'd have it on setanta Ireland

• Advertisement

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Match is on setanta 2.
    So ****in annoyin
    I was Sure they'd have it on setanta Ireland

Ours is on Setanta 1 ;)

Haha wouldn't make a difference, don't have either
    All the best today!

Lds if anyone gets a workin stream can the post it
    Nothin seems to be workin for me

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Lds if anyone gets a workin stream can the post it
    Nothin seems to be workin for me

Check your PM's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

:(:( Rangers 2-0 up

• Advertisement

appreciate this is not quite as important a game as the other 2 going on, but the Sheep are 2 up against the hibs as well.

Badabing wrote: »
    :(:( Rangers 2-0 up

:):):):)

Way to go yet though

Yep, looks like even had we won at Hibs, it may not have been enough.

Anyway, doesn't look like we'll beat Hearts today so it's a moot point. The only positive thing I can see from all this is that Strachan leaves and takes some of those players with him.

Roll on next season. The few years in the CL have been enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bye bye Strachan now GTF

Half times:

Aberdeen 2-1 Hibernian HT
    Celtic 0-0 Hearts HT
    Dundee Utd 0-2 Rangers HT

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement