Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Boyd kills it off.

Well done Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Well done rangers, fair play to Broxi and Eirebear real fans and well educated on football. Cheers lads :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Congratulations Rangers. Knew what they had to do and did it. They had the heart to finish it off like we did last season.

Celtic - shambles since Jan, and not much better before. Stunning lack of goals and imagination. Deserved losers, and thankfully won't have to endure that ****e in the CL. Probably won't make the Europa league either tbh.

See ya Strachan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

We are a complete and utter shambles. Hopefully if will not be long for Strachan to announce he is off / the board to announce Strachan is sacked. The board need to take a good look at themselves, they have turned Celtic into a good business but a ****e football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Badabing wrote: »
    Well done rangers, fair play to Broxi and Eirebear real fans and well educated on football. Cheers lads :)

Thanks a lot its been a hard fought season and we will reflect and regroup and no doubt have or differences of opinion but coming on to a forum where we can have decent conversation and debate is important to me and I know I can say the same for EB so lets all get this weekend out our system and soon it will be the transfer rumours and predictions for next season.

Once again thanks to all the Celts on here for making this an enjoyable forum

Champions :):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bye bye Strachan now GTF
    He's gone 100%. The way he walked off as soon as the whistle was blown he knows exactly what the Celtic fans think. He's not stupid. He won't continue something he's not enjoying and he'll step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

celtic

ffs

what a crock a shoite, and no, Moyes is not going to manage there not in a million years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What a season, i reckon Rangers saved their best performance all season for the very last game...thank christ they did!

Anyway, thats it all over for another one....bring on 2009/10! :D

Blackjack: WTF was your keeper thinking for the first goal?!?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Eirebear wrote: »

Blackjack: WTF was your keeper thinking for the first goal?!?! :eek:

Didn't see it, but it won't have been the same boys' first clanger. To be fair, he was outstanding against both old firm teams, but he does make the odd balls up no doubt.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Didn't see it, but it won't have been the same boys' first clanger. To be fair, he was outstanding against both old firm teams, but he does make the odd balls up no doubt.

Hes a bizzare keeper alright, very much has two sides to him.

Today though he had the ball in his hands, the aberdeen player stood in front of him, so he tried to boot it off him...succeeded...and the ball bounced into the net. Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »

Wait to you do see it mate its up there with the best I have ever seen :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

legs11 wrote: »
    celtic

ffs

what a crock a shoite, and no, Moyes is not going to manage there not in a million years
    The only reason for that imo is he has a contract at Everton worth about £10m. You should see his recent interview with the BBC. He can't speak highly enough of Celtic saying a move from Celtic to Arsenal is a step down.

It has started already :( A Celtic fan was attacked and stabbed just after the game finished today. Sometimes, I despise this place with all the inbred neds about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Stil havent change the name of this thread to the clubs proper name!

It has started already :( A Celtic fan was attacked and stabbed just after the game finished today. Sometimes, I despise this place with all the inbred neds about

Heard of this also its pathetic the people responsible should never see the light of day again and while they they may say they follow a club no matter what one they don't they are scum of the lowest order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Has Strachen been an overall success since he took over?

Has he left the club in a good state, provided he leaves?

Discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

Esse85 wrote: »

Discuss

yes!

Yes & No!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Esse85 wrote: »

Discuss

That's Strachan.

I think player-wise, it's not too bad. MON left an aging team which in fairness to Strachan he had to do a lot of work to rebuild. I've been relatively happy with the players he's brought in given the budgets he has had, although last summer's inactivity cost us this year I think.

There's a lot of the current squad I would keep. His tactics, the style of play is what frustrates me and I'd guess most people about Strachan, not really the quality of the players.

From what we have, I'd go with:
    Keep: Boruc, Naka (if we could), McGeady, Maloney, Brown, Hinkel, Caldwell, O'Dea, McDonald. Get Sheridan back also.
    Punt: Samaras, JVoH, Naylor, Hartley (probably).
    Undecided: Crosas, Loovens (he's growing on me), McManus, Flood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

Was that a congratulations ziggy mate? :p

This title is probably the most important i have seen Rangers win in my lifetime, Celtic will struggle to qualify for the champions league now due to the qualification changes...and the money is desperately needed for us.

As for glasgow tonight...what a horrible city.

I was at a gig with my mrs and her parents this evening and waiting for a taxi in the merchant city was one of the scariest experiences in my life.

I watched as a group of neds in Rangers fans attacked a guy with a celtic scarf...walked around the corner and saw the reverse happen where a group of neds in celtic gear where kicking lumps out of a lad in a gers top.

This city sickens me at times it really does.

That's the point that the few remaining Strachan fans fail to see. Smith has done wonders with a pretty poor squad.

This season has been the poorest I've seen Celtic in a long time. I'd be saying that had we won the league as well. It was evident last season, but nothing was done. Every fan could see that the championship win last season - while exciting and a great achievement when they were written off - was papering over the cracks. Strachan and the board should have seen last year as a warning sign and invested in the team.

Hopefully the lack of CL will be a wake-up call. Kinda glad in a way (aside from the lack of money), because we'd get torn apart in the CL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Well, i'll start by saying congrats to Rangers who, in the end, knew what they had to do and delivered. Deserving winners.

As for us, I really dont know what next. We need to spend some cash this summer that we clearly saved last year. We need a more potent striker than skippy, jvoh or samaras. A purchase in the middle to shore up the midfield would be nice too, as we cant depend on browne and robson to be always fit at the same time.
    naylor, samaras, hartley to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Congratulations Rangers on winning SPL, commiserations to Celtic. It took until the final game of season for either of the teams to grab the bull by the horns so to speak, this is what Rangers ended up doing. It was a super performance which United could not cope with and was a true reflection of the massive points difference between United and Rangers in league table. I didn't see it coming, but there you go. I think the Samaras comments fired up Rangers obviously. Interesting times ahead for both clubs, for very different reasons obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

There's something deeply amiss when a manager of Strachan's success is up for the sack just because he missed winning the league by a hair's breadth. Celtic fans: spoiled, gutless consumers, not football supporters. If you want routine, guaranteed success, why don't you join a proper bandwagon like ManU?

Congratulations to Rangers. Hard 'luck' to all of the other teams in Scotland who don't take turns for the title.

You did challenge. You lost, just. And now the air is thick with talk of sacking. If he'd won it on the last day do you think Celtic fans would still want to press the big green button on their remote control for a new manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

apparently WGS has parted company with Celtic.

• Advertisement

In the real world, every team 'loses the league' almost all of the time. It's called sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Highly unfair to GS the stick he is getting, I'll tell you what 3 titles in 4 years isn't a poor record by any teams standard.

SectionF wrote: »
    There's something deeply amiss when a manager of Strachan's success is up for the sack just because he missed winning the league by a hair's breadth. Celtic fans: spoiled, gutless consumers, not football supporters. If you want routine, guaranteed success, why don't you join a proper bandwagon like ManU?

Congratulations to Rangers. Hard 'luck' to all of the other teams in Scotland who don't take turns for the title.

You are on fecking drugs

SectionF wrote: »
    In the real world, every team 'loses the league' almost all of the time. It's called sport.

"How to Miss a Point", by SectionF. Available on all good forums from today. :rolleyes:

Highly unfair to GS the stick he is getting, I'll tell you what 3 titles in 4 years isn't a poor record by any teams standard.

Couple of points:

- It's not as black and white as that. Last season we won purely because Rangers bottled it.
    - Should have had this season wrapped up by the split. We failed big time.
    - This is the SPL, Celtic have the most resources of any club, by a huge amount excepting Rangers. Anything other than 1st is failure.
    - There are some good players at the club who he has not managed to get the best from, either by not playing them regularily, or in their position, or not playing them full stop.

This is not an overnight thing. His last two seasons have been very poor results-wise. Just because Rangers were ****tier last season does not make Strachan a good manager.

Watch all those non-Celtic or SPL watchers come out with the same gash

Oh, by the way, it should be made clear that he resigned and was not sacked (according to reports):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8067244.stm

Watch all those non-Celtic or SPL watchers come out with the same gash

Yep, the people who don't follow the club, who don't see the performances, who haven't listened to Strachan the past 4 years, who haven't been frustrated at the lack of transfers, who haven't seen good players fade, etc..

Always the same on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any possible replacements for Strachan??

Walter Smith.

:D

Don't think he will coming to you lo any time soon mate :P

It refers to your concept of losing the league (I would have thought that quite clear). Celtic fans are so used to winning, just for being Celtic, that they think it is automatically theirs to lose, and throw a big tartan tantrum when the script hits a bump.
    It's not just Celtic, of course. Chelsea were tops at it this year, and IIRC ManU 'diehards' once wanted rid of Fergie.
    I'm glad Celtic lost or, more accurately, someone else won. Hard to argue that it's not good for the game, and if it results in a few less faux-Glaswegians knocking about the place it'll be a sweet relief too. :p

Moyes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

slingerz wrote: »
    Any possible replacements for Strachan??

John Collins or even Mick McCarthy.

I would be very surprised if David Moyles came...

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement