Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You think its ok to threaten to break Rangers fans legs? Fair play. For a club that is in no way secterian its surprising to see this.

Celtic took a public approach to the problem when chairman Fergus McCann, who said he was appalled by the bigotry he has rediscovered since his return to Scotland after a 30-year exile in Canada, set up the ‘Bhoys Against Bigotry’ campaign, which had a number of high-profile events to try and reduce the singing of sectarian songs and change people’s attitudes towards sectarian groups. McCann was criticised by many for trying to change the club and outlawing certain songs. However he was ruthless in his pursuit of this, having fans ejected for singing pro-IRA songs, many of which were mainstays of the fans’ singing repertoire.

If you come from Belfast Town, Derry City, County Down
    The Calton, Tullygally, or from Bray
    you can come along and see 'Bhoys against Bhigotry'
    but don’t you sing 'Boys of the Old Brigade'

Fergus has said no, those tunes will have to go
    these Rebel songs no longer can be played
    so we’ve made our self’s a pact, to polish up our act
    so don’t you sing 'Boys of the Old Brigade'

You can sing of big Jock Brown, against the Famine and the Crown
    'The Fields of Athenry' just makes the grade
    you can sing 'Glen Daly’s' tone and 'You’ll Never Walk Alone'

The campaign’s under way, Pete McLean has had a say
    a loyalist through and through it has been said
    he has made a lot of cash, as he hides his Orange Sash
    and he doesn’t know 'Boys of the Old Brigade'

So it’s no more 'Crossmaglen', 'Up the Ra', or 'Fenian Men'
    'Sean South of Garryowen' must not be played
    'The Broad Black Brimmer' has to go, 'Take it Down' and 'Say Hello'
    and don’t you sing 'Boys of the Old Brigade'

So children, Mums and Dads, do not sing 'Where are the Lads'
    who stood with me when history was made
    and don’t sing old 'Gradh Mo Croidhe' and how you long to see
    to see the 'Boys of the Old Brigade'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bohsman wrote: »
    You think its ok to threaten to break Rangers fans legs? Fair play. For a club that is in no way secterian its surprising to see this.

Celtic took a public approach to the problem when chairman Fergus McCann, who said he was appalled by the bigotry he has rediscovered since his return to Scotland after a 30-year exile in Canada, set up the ‘Bhoys Against Bigotry’ campaign, which had a number of high-profile events to try and reduce the singing of sectarian songs and change people’s attitudes towards sectarian groups. McCann was criticised by many for trying to change the club and outlawing certain songs. However he was ruthless in his pursuit of this, having fans ejected for singing pro-IRA songs, many of which were mainstays of the fans’ singing repertoire.

Your mad, you. None of that ever happened. Nope, no sectarianism over here.

Obviously credit where its due that theyre tackling it but to claim that it doesnt exist is madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Publin wrote: »
    Appreciated. Some of your fellow fans don't seem to accept this :).

:)
    I get jokes :o.

I was propably being a tad harsh.

Agree about the tricolour. I know what you're saying about the history, but that doesn't make them Irish. If a company was founded by an Irishman in America, the company was registered in America, and taxes were paid in America, you wouldn't consider the company Irish (I presume?).

I know what you're saying, but there is a difference there, they were set up by Irish for Irish, or to help Irish.

If you were talking about Henry Ford i'd beg to differ, can't stand the likes of Clarkson etc stating that Ford are British, and never stating that the Ford family came from Ballinascarthy in Cork of all places, but then I could be wrong Cork seems to have more Brits than Irish.:D
    Agree fully!

Just to clarify, I don't actively support Celtic (attend games), but they are the team in Scotland whose results I'd watch out for.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Rangers beat thrashed Celtic :)

Its a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Obviously credit where its due that theyre tackling it but to claim that it doesnt exist is madness.

Where have I said it doesn't exist amongst Celtic fans?

Either you or your little cheerleader show me where I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Archimedes wrote: »
    Rangers beat thrashed Celtic :)

Its a good day.

just wondering, not trying to have a fight here, but why do you like Rangers? or is it just that you dont like Celtic? also if so why?

You do actually know that that song is meant to be sarcastic don't you??? The band that sing it then break into Boys of the Old Brigade afterwards.

kryogen wrote: »
    just wondering, not trying to have a fight here, but why do you like Rangers? or is it just that you dont like Celtic? also if so why?

Well I have no real affection towards either club. Since Ive moved to Belfast, most of my friends are Rangers fans so Ive begun to shout for them if Im ever watching one of their matches. That, and one of the biggest muppets I know is a Im-Irish-F*ck-The-Brits Celtic fan. He associates his hatred of Britain with his love of Celtic (how ironic, I know!). I cant stand him, and the thought of him being upset today pleases me.

• Advertisement

Where have I said it doesn't exist amongst Celtic fans?

Either you or your little cheerleader show me where I said it.

Whats this sectarianim we are taking about?
    Celtic don't sing any songs against anyone based on their nationality or reliIgion.

kryogen wrote: »

Careful mate, he'll start digging through your past posts to find some information on you.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats this sectarianim we are taking about?

I completely stand over those posts.

In all my years of going over to Celtic games I have never heard a sectarian/racist song being sung by the fans (compare and contrast this to Rangers where 50,000 people sing racist and sectarian songs).

I have heard occassional sectarian and racist comments being shouted by Celtic fans though.

My point is that at one club it is institutionalised, at the other it is abhorred.

Compare and contrast both teams in the UEFA Cup Final and see the difference between Manchester and Seville and the diffrent reactions from the FIFA/UEFA etc...

Careful mate, he'll start digging through your past posts to find some information on you.

Not much digging required to find out what most people think of you. Youre a twat. We'll discuss this further when Im not banned.

I completely stand over those posts.

How can you stand over contradicory posts?

You have heard some Celtic fans singing the songs.

Celtic fans do not sing the songs

You never said Celtic fans dont sing the songs.

Not much digging required to find out what most people think of you. Youre a twat. We'll discuss this further when Im not banned.

Taking one for the team, very noble. :)

Now now Archimedes. Play the ball, not the man.

:D:D:D:D:D

Another very sinister post by you though.

• Advertisement

How can you stand over contradicory posts?

You have heard some Celtic fans singing the songs.

Celtic fans do not sing the songs

You never said Celtic fans dont sing the songs.

???

You're not making sense.

I have never heard Celtic fans sing anti-Protestant songs at a football match. I have heard things shouted by a Celtic fan that could be construed as sectarian/racist but thankfully our own fans tell them to wise up. At Ibrox you have 50,000 people singing racist/sectarian songs all the time.

I'm sure a Liverpool fan shouts the odd racist thing, that doesn't make Liverpool fans racist though.

It would be inconceivable to suggest that some Celtic fans are not sectarian/racist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

This thread is gone to pot. Anyone care to discuss football?

Actually, don't ****ing bother. Between staunch republicans and a whole bunch of eircom league fans who don't really care about Rangers unless they are beating Celtic, I think I'll go elsewhere.

Adios folks.

???

You're not making sense.

I have never heard Celtic fans sing anti-Protestant songs at a football match. I have heard things shouted by a Celtic fan that could be construed as sectarian/racist but thankfully our own fans tell them to wise up. At Ibrox you have 50,000 people singing racist/sectarian songs all the time.

I'm sure a Liverpool fan shouts the odd racist thing, that doesn't make Liverpool fans racist though.

It would be inconceivable to suggest that some Celtic fans are not sectarian/racist.

I have heard occassional sectarian and racist comments being shouted by Celtic fans though.

My appologies, the first on eshould have said "comments" rather than songs.

I notice how it's been scaled down from "occasional sectarian and racist comments to one guy that was told to shut up.

Atthe end of the day , every club has supporters that let them down. It's just comes across that you are unwilling to accept that Celtic do and that they are the poor put-upon, whiter than white goodies to Rangers evil baddies.

My appologies, the first on eshould have said "comments" rather than songs.

No worries mate.

PauloMN wrote: »

Actually, don't ****ing bother. Between staunch republicans and a whole bunch of eircom league fans who don't really care about Rangers unless they are beating Celtic, I think I'll go elsewhere.

Adios folks.

Yup, it's gone fairly off topic alright.

Anyway, Rangers thoroughly deserved their win today, no complaints here.

• Advertisement

Adios folks.

Agreed, not sure how I got dragged in, probably because the Villa Pool game is so bad, anyway Ill leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This site is a feckin joke. Rules against hi-jacking a superthread yet nothing is done here. Why don't all the gloating EL loving bunch just GTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Not having a good day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I'm having a good day unlike some of the folk here who pretend to be interested in Scottish football so they can have a good Celtic bashing session

I'm having a good day unlike some of the folk here who pretend to be interested in Scottish football so they can have a good Celtic bashing session

Don't let them get to you mate.

Their arguments are easily defeated through logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Don't let them get to you mate.

Their arguments are easily defeated through logic.
    You're an idiot.

Seriously, god you make me angry.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're an idiot.

Seriously, god you make me angry.

So let me get this, you come on this thread to wind folks up yet you're the one all wound up???!!!

Brilliant!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

As I said, defeated by logic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

It's partly my fault the thread went off topic, i apologise, i won't comment here again.

I made my point a few pages back when "bobbysands81" completely ignored my post that made him look like a tool - thank you and goodbye :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Celtic 2-4 Rangers

Well, that was a game with incidents. Most of them poor ones in terms of football execution. Celtics line-up was as follows:

Boruc
    Hinkel-Caldwell-McManus-Wilson
    Naka - Hartley - Brown - McGeady
    Maloney ----
    Samaras

With appearances from Robson for 18 mins and more briefly from VofH (!).

In terms of Celtic's tactics, I think the 'creatives' didnt compete enough with Rangers 'fight'. Samaras is not good enough for me as a target man, VofH is better. Maloney is more an attacking midfielder than a striker, so Celtics 4-4-2 shape is 'upset' with his arrival. He kept dropping back. Celtics attack consisted mainly of crosses to one target man which was mopped up all day.

Hartley played well I thought, but was having to cover a lot of ground. Brown was invisible at times. I cant remember anything significant that he did although I didnt watch every minute of the game. Compare him with Robson. Naka was his usual self. McGeady was good.

The Cousin goal was a basic error by Wilson for letting him in and Boruc for allowing it to beat him on the near post. Rangers should not have scored from there. Samaras' equaliser was fortunate due to Papac's basic wrong foot error in the box when he could have cleared easily with his right foot. Papac played well apart from that. To be fair to Samars he did put it away in a spritely fashion.

Miller's first one was a good one from his point of view but again Wilson was noweher to be seen. This was his position at the far post. No blame on Boruc for this one.

Mendes grabbed a 3rd well worked form the corner. More or less unstopable but a smarter midfield from Celtic knowing Mendes' skills with shooting from his Portsmouth days. Boruc had no chance.

The 4th though was a laughable error by Boruc with what should have been a comfortable pick-up. It was becoming a comedy at that stage.

Naka got a consolation goal at the end. 2-4, not a usual result and Gordon wont be happy with his defence nor his goalie.

Overall, from a Celtic fans point of view, we have to hold our hands up and say well done to Rangers for their fighting spirit, something which some of our players clearly lacked. And VofH should pick his 'fights' better and do his talking on the pitch.

Rangers are showing their fighting spirit from last season which got them so far in the Uefa Cup. Gordon and the staff and the players will need to use this as a hurtful lesson. I hope he realises that Samaras is not our man, and that in some games we will need to have a better and stronger midfield. Brown will have to look in the mirror hard, and it looks like we still need a good defender at left back.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Thought Boruc and naka looked off kilter from the start, JVoH was stupid to get sent off. Rangers did a good job keeping the ball away from young Aiden, but have to sayI thought celtic played the better passing game in the periods when the game settled.

anyway, if it wasn't for the individual errors, it would have been a draw or Celtic win. Just before Cousins got sent off, the Rangers bench was in sever panic, smith was down from the stands reading the riot act.

Also, its only the start of the season, we will easily reel them in over the next few games.

On the good side, miller will be a starter for them from now on, which can only be good or Celtic.

Wonder will anyone be out the door by Monday midnight, I reckon Massimo has played his last game.

Anto McC wrote: »
    I actually know 2 Rangers fans that are born and rared in Dublin, they're part of a supporters club and travel over quiet regularly to see them play (i've never been myself to be honest) and they've never had any trouble over there.

Heard of a Rangers supporters club from Dublin that was stopped by the club itself from displaying a 'Dublin Rangers Supports Club Flag' at a rangers game. Have your mates ever tried this?

here's the artical to make of what you will. http://unionistlite.blogspot.com/2008/02/rangers-lecture-dublin-fans-on.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

As i said in another post jvoh is a disgrace what the hell was he thinking?

A new left back is badly needed Wilson was at fault for 2 goals but he is a natural right back so he is not the problem, McManus annoys me somtimes he is a big lad and has great presence but he let Cousin and Miller walk all over him today he should be more commanding in the box. Billy McNeil he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I wasnt gonna bother posting today as im just back from holidays and i really cant be arsed with the complete and utter bull**** from many people on here.

But one man has made me feel the need to comment.....step forward Artur Boruc...wadda guy! :D:D:D

Badabing wrote: »

A new left back is badly needed Wilson was at fault for 2 goals but he is a natural right back so he is not the problem, McManus annoys me somtimes he is a big lad and has great presence but he let Cousin and Miller walk all over him today he should be more commanding in the box. Billy McNeil he is not.

Yep, a left back is a must, Naylor and Wilson just dont cut it. Boruc had an off day, its just sad that the defence could not cover for him, as he has done for them many times. I thought hartley was fairly absent at times too.

Anyway, its great to be in the champions league, eh eirebear?

Eirebear wrote: »
    I wasnt gonna bother posting today as im just back from holidays and i really cant be arsed with the complete and utter bull**** from many people on here.

But one man has made me feel the need to comment.....step forward Artur Boruc...wadda guy! :D:D:D

have to say, I thought the Celtic fans reaction to Boruc making a mistake was fanmtastic. They raised the roof with a chorus of 'there's only one arthur boruc', which shows that we never let one of our own 'walk alone'.

Heard of a Rangers supporters club from Dublin that was stopped by the club itself from displaying a 'Dublin Rangers Supports Club Flag' at a rangers game. Have your mates ever tried this?

here's the artical to make of what you will. http://unionistlite.blogspot.com/2008/02/rangers-lecture-dublin-fans-on.html

Ae you honestly trying to say that the club security stopped the "DublinLoyal" from flying that flag because of its reference to Dublin?

The term "Behind Enemy Lines" was deemed as offensive by club security, not the fact that it came from Dublin Vincenzo.

As for the Champions league, im sure its great. Not to worry though, we can live without it for a year.

Ae you honestly trying to say that the club security stopped the "DublinLoyal" from flying that flag because of its reference to Dublin?

The term "Behind Enemy Lines" was deemed as offensive by club security, not the fact that it came from Dublin Vincenzo.

As for the Champions league, im sure its great. Not to worry though, we can live without it for a year.

er???? where did I mention it was because of a reference to Dublin?? I said it was a 'dublin rangers supporters club flag'. I was juust tyring to find out if they had similar problems.

Anyway, I shouldnt have fallen for the bait and found myself discussing rangers stuff on the Celtic thread.

er???? where did I mention it was because of a reference to Dublin?? I said it was a 'dublin rangers supporters club flag'. I was juust tyring to find out if they had similar problems.

Anyway, I shouldnt have fallen for the bait and found myself discussing rangers stuff on the Celtic thread.

apologies, i misread your initial post.

Bait? Jeez...another conspiracy eh? ;)

• Advertisement

It certainly is great, Cant wait to see the reception the Celtic team and fans get in Manchester, I am sure they will enjoy the passion of the legion of genuine football fans that will attend.

Why would Dublin be seen as "being behind enemy lines" though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Why would Dublin be seen as "being behind enemy lines" though?

Because they are absolute idiots thats why. Just had a read of their website, they have a section called "life on planet tim" and its pathetic.

As one lad on the unionist blogspot says....

"I had a modicum of sympathy for these lads until I found out they take trips to support Linfield in the Setanta Cup. Why? Any hun will do?"

Anyways, enough of this rubbish...I didnt see the game today working nights, but im kinda glad I didnt. From what I heard Rangers fully deserved their 3points so hats off to them. Hopefully this will focus the team and maybe show Strachan we badly need a decent left back before the window closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

McManus annoys me somtimes he is a big lad and has great presence but he let Cousin and Miller walk all over him today he should be more commanding in the box. Billy McNeil he is not.

VofH just lost his cool for a split second. It wasnt that bad really as it was less than handbags but it was right in front of the ref.

McManus I thought did okay in the aerial duels. He was being lent into each time by Cousins arms which the ref was calling so he just had to grin and bear those fouls. The ref gave Cousins a yellow yet he persisted, and whilst a 'soft' red perhaps, in light of the red that VofH got subsequently you could say it was all fair overall.

Celtic were better when the ball was on the deck, but they werent able to convert posession 'supremacy' into clear cut chances.

Its true that the defenders arent the best in the world but I'm sure that Strachan would agree the same at least quietly to himself if not publicly. He alluded to the lack of quality players when Spurs beat Celtic in the pre-season.

The club is not made of money, we all know that, but I think though that it could do better with the money that it does spend. I cant fathom the Samaras signing. McDonald and VofH could have done the job with a 4-4-2 or else get in a better player at least, maybe by utilising the money spent on Maloney. Maloney for me plays too close to the left midfield area of McGeady and they counteract each other in a way as Maloney is not an out and out striker.

The 2-4 home loss to the 'auld enemy' is a slap in the face and a wake-up call to the players and the management alike. Lets see how they respond.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Was at the game, Brown was almost annonymous throughout. I think Robson is a far better option. Same old problems at full back. Rare mistakes from Boruc.
    All in all Rangers deserved to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

SantryRed wrote: »
    Eh no, most EL fans I do think.

You think wrong. The only club in Ireland thats fans would sing racist anti-Irish songs at Celtic fans are you.

A fair few LoI fans may not support Celtic, but only at Shels has that turned into a campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

jvoh is a disgrace i know he didn't kill him but he should know better than that, especially when their down a man.
    Disgrace is a bit strong. It was a rush of blood to the head. Anger management is the only thing that would sort that stuff out so I wouldn't blame Jan. :)

Not the worst of performances from Celtic but they could have been a bit more aggressive. Robson would have brought that but also with Robson on the pitch the play would have broke down a lot more as he loses possession a lot.

I have to say my hero Naka, even though he can't speak English, should be captain of this side. He led by example yesterday. All over the pitch.

Brown was alright yesterday but Hartley and Brown shouldn't be playing in the centre. You need a bit of creativity in beside Brown. He can do Hartley's job.

Adios folks.

Its not LoI fans, its a couple of Shels fans trying to get a reaction.

Bear in mind I was told by a mod that he 'didn't give a crap' that the famine song was considered racist by the authorities when I reported its use on here, unfortunatly these confused 'Rangers fans' are some form of protected species.

I blame Bebo.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Disgrace is a bit strong. It was a rush of blood to the head. Anger management is the only thing that would sort that stuff out so I wouldn't blame Jan. :)

Not the worst of performances from Celtic but they could have been a bit more aggressive. Robson would have brought that but also with Robson on the pitch the play would have broke down a lot more as he loses possession a lot.

I have to say my hero Naka, even though he can't speak English, should be captain of this side. He led by example yesterday. All over the pitch.

Brown was alright yesterday but Hartley and Brown shouldn't be playing in the centre. You need a bit of creativity in beside Brown. He can do Hartley's job.

What do reckon for Champions league what team will Strachan play? Loovens should come in for Caldwell, play Brown Robson Naka Aidan or maybe Hartley go 5 in midfield? Crossas must start soon in the spl anyway.

What do reckon for Champions league what team will Strachan play? Loovens should come in for Caldwell, play Brown Robson Naka Aidan or maybe Hartley go 5 in midfield? Crossas must start soon in the spl anyway.

Knowing Strachan he will play Loovens in goals.

Strachan played a number of pre season games in a 451 with two holding midfielders with a view to away CL games and it appeared to work quite well. But then again, Strachan rarely employs tactics. Or his best players.

Obiously i want us to get out of the group but at the very least we should win a bloody away game:mad: We should aim for 10 points.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement