Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'm not tarring all celtic fans with the same brush, but you have to admit there was a very vocal minority of celtic fans who didnt want Strachan and hid behind the term "celtic minded" instead of saying what they really meant.

Brewster...i see your team won at the weekend...congratulations! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Rudi Vata on Slaven Bilic:

"Slaven would be very interested in managing Celtic.

My business partner met him in Zagreb two weeks ago and we asked him if he would be interested in moving to Glasgow. He said yes.

He said he would love to be considered because he regards Celtic and Rangers as being amongst the top teams in Europe. He is a very clever and very enthusiastic coach and he speaks perfect English.

He also has great contacts and knows many of the good young players in Croatia, Montenegro and beyond.

My partner has also spoken with his brother, who looks after his affairs. Now we must wait to hear if Celtic are interested."

Bilic previously said:

"Of course Scotland is maybe not the best league in the world. But they've got two clubs who are really huge.

Any manager in the world who had Celtic or Rangers ask him for a meeting, they would walk to Glasgow."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    Thats Scotland for you, remember the media frenzy about PLG before he came to Rangers?
    99% of Rangers fans didnt give a toss about his religion and gave him a brilliant welcome.

When things went wrong a certain Mr Spiers contrived to write a whole book on the fact that it was because he was catholic.

I was meaning Leinster....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Eirebear wrote: »

I was meaning Leinster....:P

We know exactly what you meant, we can all read between the lines :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

QFT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The great thing about this forum, is that if you ever need a laugh this is the place to come! The only game I was at was at Murrayfield to see Leinster win the Heineken Cup...I watched the football in a bar in Edinburgh with other Leinster fans.

You guys really have to get over this syndrome of accusing people of being a 'Rangers' fan if they post anything remotely negative about Celtic on this forum. Its so childish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Coyle still firm favourite according to Paddy Power:
    http://www.paddypower.com/football?action=go_fb_event&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=115&ev_type_id=7483&ev_id=1463913

I see the Pope has entered the race as well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Slaven Bilic has come out and said that he is very interesested in the Celtic job. That is the kind of high profile manager Celtic need and tbh should be vying for. I hope he does become the next manager.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8070019.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Wim Jansen wasn't 'Celtic minded', he was in charge for stopping 10 in a row. his only previous connection was playing in the Feyenoord team who best us 2-1 in the European Cup Final

Dr Jo Venglos wasn't 'Celtic minded', he did bring the magnificent Lubo Moravcik to Glasgow though.

Strachan is just a little drain. looking at the difference in the team who reached the Yoofa Cup Final in 2003, winning at Liverpool and Blackburn and the overall passion running through the team, the will to win was evident. look at the difference with strachans team, couldn't find a goal in their last three games. he's been a poison to the way we play football and am delighted he's gone

Yeh seems Coyle could be the man. Very happy with that.

Very happy might be stretching it a bit. I need to dig around to see how his Burnley team have been playing.

Very happy might be stretching it a bit. I need to dig around to see how his Burnley team have been playing.
    Attractive passing football. I saw a lot of their cup games. They actually had 51% of possession in Stamford Bridge which is a huge achievement and shows that they like to hold onto the ball.

I'd certainly be very happy with Coyle. I would have voted for him in the new manager poll on a Celtic forum if I thought there was a hope of him leaving Burnley but I didn't realise his love for Celtic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Attractive passing football. I saw a lot of their cup games. They actually had 51% of possession in Stamford Bridge which is a huge achievement and shows that they like to hold onto the ball.

I'd certainly be very happy with Coyle. I would have voted for him in the new manager poll on a Celtic forum if I thought there was a hope of him leaving Burnley but I didn't realise his love for Celtic. :)

You are kidding aren't you he has always been a rabid tic fan

Fairly Celtic minded so in that case!

• Advertisement

I knew he was a Celtic fan obviously but didn't realise it was strong enough to leave a team he had just got into the premiership (or at least according to today's reports). There's not many many managers or players that would leave a club who they've just got into the premiership for the team they support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I'd be happy with Coyle aswell, i presume he was not on big money at Burnley so compo wouldn'd be huge. Is Lenny staying on?

Yeh that's strange. I don't believe Coyle hasn't had discussions with Celtic tbh.

Vata was on Scottish Radio saying Bilic has turned down Sunderland and they've notified Celtic of their interest but Celtic haven't got back.

For pure football reasons I'd like either of the above. Both risky choices but **** it, so was Guardiola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

eirebhoy wrote: »

Must get the job so...:pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone that plays a 4-3-3 and beats the likes of Chelsea, Fulham and Arsenal (and Rangers with St Johnstone at Ibrox) with an attractive passing game with poor players has to be looked at. :) I really hope we get him.

the other forum has this on it. alright it's from a typical bull**** paper, but still..........
    Owen Coyle declines Celtic offer to take over as manager

May 27 2009

OWEN Coyle has tonight decided not to take up an offer from Celtic to take over as manager, the Daily Record has learned.

We revealed earlier today that the 42-year-old Burnley boss has been in talks with Parkhead chiefs over succeeding Gordon Strachan in the Celtic hotseat.

But the Daily Record now understands Coyle felt unable to take up the offer because it would mean walking away from a million-pound bonus he was to receive from Burnley for getting the club into the Premiership.

Family reasons also played into the decision, with Coyle's family now well settled in England following his move to Burnley 18 months ago.

And it is understood the lure of guiding his Burnley side into England's top flight also influenced his decision, after their stunning play-off victory over Sheffield United on Monday.

His decision not to take up Celtic's offer does not preclude the chance of the club making him an improved offer to take up his dream job at Parkhead.

But it may also open the way for an approach to Tony Mowbray or Craig Levein, both of whom are also in Celtic's thoughts for the manager's post.

Croatia boss Slaven Bilic and Poland coach Leo Beenhakker have also thrown their names into the hat for the job following Strachan's departure on Monday.

Wouldn't rule him out just this yet. This will-he/won't-he stuff could go on for a few more days yet. He's turned down one offer, doesn't mean he'll turn down another one. It's like buying a car. :)

I'd be disappointed with McGhee or Levein though I have say, however I'd back whoever gets the job. Like I did with Strachan for over 2 years (yeah we didn't all hate him from day one like some on here would have you think).

I dont think Owen Coyle will take it untill he's had his shot at the premiership.

Mowbray is a good call however, and i reckon he would do well at Celtic.

A little aside, from yesterday...im not a member of follow follow, as i find the majority of their posters vile. But this little tidbit is doing the rounds and i have to say made me laugh quite a bit.

watch the video....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svE3-x4iDhU

Is this true, I heard about operation Tango today through an email from a mate.I remember seeing a post from Eirebear about it. Apparently its been a few newspapers as far a field as Italy according to my mate! Is it all rubbish or did genuinely happen? Anyone at Celtic Park on Sunday who celebrated the phantom goal after receiving such a txt? Don't be shy now!

Operation Tango did not happen

Someone communicating a goal that they thought was for DU did happen

according to celtic fans "Juan Ghuy" had got a bit overexcited when Aberdeen scored and the excitement rippled around the stadium (and even made Paul Hartley smile)

According to a rangers website "Operation Tango" may have been the cause.

There have been news reports as far as spain and italy mentioning it.

Either way i think its funny as hell! :pac:

lol...just a glitch in the google translator im sure :p

• Advertisement

I just saw the video, obviously with such a cheer Celtic fans thought Dundee United scored, it was such a pronounced cheer around the stadium. Was the wrong score flashed on a scoreboard or something? Something happened to cause that cheer... Operation tango sounds a bit far fetched though? Would be the best ever if it were true...

Maybe so, I think this was more than one man and his radio though. There must be more too it, it was too pronounced. I can't see how a Celtic fan on the windup saying there was a goal, could cause that reaction all around stadium... Not convinced on operation tango either Ziggy, however its more plausible at the moment that one man and his radio!

Are you determined to get to the bottom of it? As a "neutral" like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PauloMN wrote: »

LOL,neutral,ah good times :D

It doesnt matter if it happened or not really.

Its down in Scottish Football folklore now, and lets face it....the Red and Black socks, and "The Bouncy" can testify to how strong these stories stick.

You must be curious too in fairness Paul! Will be watching the Scottish Cup final in the sun tomorrow?

LOL,neutral,ah good times :D

Good times indeed Premier Stone.. Good times indeed.

Whos your preferred choice for your managerial vacancy? Realistic names now please...

Brewster wrote: »
    Good times indeed Premier Stone.. Good times indeed.

Whos your preferred choice for your managerial vacancy? Realistic names now please...

Well Ive already said I would have Owen Coyle and Mick McCarthy as my first two choices but I think it would be very hard for either to leave a team they just got promoted into the EPL, so my third preference would be Tony Mowbray. I would be quite sceptical about Bilic to be honest as i think he would be merely using the club as a stepping stone to the EPL although it may well be worth the gamble he does seem very keen and tbh as long as it isnt David O'Leary or Roy Keane i'll be happy ;)

• Advertisement

Well Ive already said I would have Owen Coyle and Mick McCarthy as my first two choices but I think it would be very hard for either to leave a team they just got promoted into the EPL, so my third preference would be Tony Mowbray. I would be quite sceptical about Bilic to be honest as i think he would be merely using the club as a stepping stone to the EPL although it may well be worth the gamble he does seem very keen and tbh as long as it isnt David O'Leary or Roy Keane i'll be happy ;)

Bilic would be a great capture... I think he will stay will Croatia though for World Cup. There aren't really that many candidates out there who will work at Celtic for the sort of money they can afford. Coyle seems to be a non-runner although whether its just a tactic to get more money who knows... Keane, Aitken, O Leary should not get job, I wouldn't even be that impressed with Mowbray. doubt McCarthy would go there either. Mark McGee is my tip...

You must be curious too in fairness Paul! Will be watching the Scottish Cup final in the sun tomorrow?

Curious? No, who cares who/what it was. It was funny at the time - had me flicking channel in the hope of seeing an equaliser - but reading about it on here page after page is like someone telling the same "knock knock" joke over and over and over again.

Scottish Cup - no, won't be watching that. Had it been Hearts or someone I might flick it on, but I can't see Falkirk being much of a challenge tbh.

Bilic would be a great capture... I think he will stay will Croatia though for World Cup. There aren't really that many candidates out there who will work at Celtic for the sort of money they can afford. Coyle seems to be a non-runner although whether its just a tactic to get more money who knows... Keane, Aitken, O Leary should not get job, I wouldn't even be that impressed with Mowbray. doubt McCarthy would go there either. Mark McGee is my tip...

Would be disappointed if it was Mark McGhee. I don't think it will be tbh.

Why out of interest do you think Bilic - who has never managed a club - would be a great capture? We need a proven club manager.

Would be disappointed if it was Mark McGhee. I don't think it will be tbh.

Why out of interest do you think Bilic - who has never managed a club - would be a great capture? We need a proven club manager.

Yeah fair point about Bilic, I do feel he is one for the future. Running a club team is a different prospect ok. Maybe someone will get job that nobody has mentioned? Some dark horse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If people are critical of Strachan and want an untried club manager, they need their head examined. For me he is no better than Roy Keane and he's not tested to a degree where he would be a good candidate for the Celtic job.

There is quite a few shortlisted managers that arent good enough to take the club onto the next level

on TG4 and BBC Alba. better than watchin the other lot anyway

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    If people are critical of Strachan and want an untried club manager, they need their head examined. For me he is no better than Roy Keane and he's not tested to a degree where he would be a good candidate for the Celtic job.

There is quite a few shortlisted managers that arent good enough to take the club onto the next level

Yeah it would be like that time Barca appointed guardiola :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

There really can't be much chance of Keano taking over can there, he has just signed for Ipswich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

poindexter wrote: »
    on TG4 and BBC Alba. better than watchin the other lot anyway

You can watch both and enjoy the TB game is not until Sunday :p

You can watch both and enjoy the TB game is not until Sunday :p

You would never have guessed by the amount of pigeon chested celtic strips walking about glasgow today.......thats it lads, stick your chests out far enough and no one will remember the fact that RANGERS WON THE DOUBLE THIS YEAR! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You would never have guessed by the amount of pigeon chested celtic strips walking about glasgow today.......thats it lads, stick your chests out far enough and no one will remember the fact that RANGERS WON THE DOUBLE THIS YEAR! :D

Well that was an enjoyable read... :rolleyes:

What would everyone make of Owen Coyle in charge?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement