Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yeah it would be like that time Barca appointed guardiola :rolleyes:

So we should appoint Willie McStay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

monkey9 wrote: »
    So why the f*ck then would you support Scottish football. :rolleyes:

He supports Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Kurtza wrote: »
    Well that was an enjoyable read... :rolleyes:

Glad to be of service. Just letting you lads know what glasgow was like yesterday...after all, no point in you coming over was there?;)

I know what Glasgow was like yesterday.... hot :)

When I went to ASDA at 3pm, the drinks aisle was cleared out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Eirebear wrote: »
    Glad to be of service. Just letting you lads know what glasgow was like yesterday...after all, no point in you coming over was there?;)

Not really. Travelling=Effort. Enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully, it is your last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Kurtza wrote: »
    Not really. Travelling=Effort. Enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully, it is your last.

LOL Dream on don't think there is much chance of that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

MOG7 wrote: »
    There really can't be much chance of Keano taking over can there, he has just signed for Ipswich.

Thank Ghod for that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

I am close to becoming Celtic manager, claims Tony Adams

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article6415408.ece

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hahahaha:pac: thats hilarious a team actually thinking about making him a manager:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Adams is useless as manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I dont think Adams is Celtic minded enough to get the job! There would be meltdown if he got the job.

Congrats to Walter Smith on winning the double, he has some record since he returned to Ibrox, when you exclude the Champions League disaster...

Uefa Cup Finalists
    Two Scottish Cups
    One League Cup
    One Championship
    Finalist in other league cup
    Took title to last day of season

Not a bad achievement with a poor Rangers team... Nice to see one of the good guys being successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

And that as well!! Seriously, I was taking the michael there Ziggy! Who or how on earth do these stories get into the media in all fairness?!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hahahaha:pac: thats hilarious a team actually thinking about making him a manager:pac:

Link to any article that says Celtic are thinking about making him a manager?

No, I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

As for the "Celtic minded" pish, funny that they only people who ever bring that phrase in on posts here are not Celtic fans. And those non-Celtic fans and "neutrals" can't even explain what they think "Celtic minded" means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm liking what I'm reading and hearing about Martinez.

Guillem Balague called him the "Spanish Arsene Wenger".

Tommy Docherty said:
    "I saw Swansea twice last year in the FA Cup against Fulham and they played the best football outside of Barcelona that I saw all of last year. The football was a joy to watch. If Celtic played this brand of football they would be sensational, not only in Scotland but in Great Britain and the continent as well."

And Martinez himself:

I never want to manage a team that can only ever play in one style. When I took over at Swansea I was also at pains to point out that in the lower leagues there were ways to play other than thumping the ball up field to your target man. We had to work really hard to be ultra dimensional and have different approaches to playing different teams. It was also important, from the point of view of the players’ lifestyle, that they mapped that out for themselves. My job is to give them information so that they can make the decision for themselves. I would never stop a player doing something in his life which he thought was right for him.

Football is a results industry, but I don’t believe the result can ever make your style of play irrelevant. To me it is important that the route to the result is attractive…You have to find the chance to score rather than chase it. As well as the skill, you need a clear understanding of the game and a clear control of the tempos of play with the possession of the ball. As a manager I want to rely on the talent of the player, not on percentage football, to win a game. I believe this approach is vital. I will never subscribe to the view that as a manager you can take any way to a win because that can only bring success to the football club in the short term. It doesn`t allow you to build and grow something for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

I love this quote from Adams. If ever somebody shouldn't get a job.....

"It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50 per cent chance of winning something up there.”

That 50% chance would tip in Rangers' direction fairly sharply if he got anywhere near the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Martinez would be a solid appointment.

Adams would be an hysterical one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Adams getting the Celtic job would be the funniest thing ever tbh

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    Adams getting the Celtic job would be the funniest thing ever tbh

QFT!

I doubt he'll get the job though. From that article it sounds like hes back on the bevvy!

Be better off giving it to Gerry Adams, at least he will be 'Celtic minded'!

Never mind Adams. Celtic are publicly interested in Martinez. Martinez is publicly interested in Celtic. He's the one we should be talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Celtic bemused by Tony Adams' claim that he will be new manager

• Club source dismisses comments from ex-Portsmouth manager
    • Adams said he would be joining alongside Wim Jansen

Celtic will not be appointing Tony Adams as their new manager, according to a source at the club.

The former Portsmouth manager had claimed on Talksport earlier today that he is in the running to replace Gordon Strachan if Wim Jansen, a former Celtic manager, is installed as technical director. The pair worked together at Feyenoord four years ago.

"My good friend Wim Jansen is probably in at Celtic," said Adams, who has been out of work since being sacked by Portsmouth in February. "It would be him as technical director and me as manager. By saying manager, it is kind of a head coach's position really because once you have a technical director like you have in Europe, they help you with recruitment. They do the 'nuts and bolts', the travel arrangements, the hotels, and all that kind of stuff.

"As long as you have the final say of who comes in and out, these people are your help in the boardroom. I never had that at Portsmouth. It works for me and Celtic is an unbelievable club, you have a 50 per cent chance of winning something up there."

The former Arsenal captain subsequently admitted he has had no contact from Celtic, who have targeted Owen Coyle, Tony Mowbray and Roberto Martínez to succeed Strachan.

"I've not applied for the role," added Adams. "I know Wim Jansen who has put me in there. I think they approached him and I know Wim from my Feyenoord days and he's actually said that he would only do the role if I were to be made manager. That's Wim's opinion, not Celtic's."

The Scottish's club's view, in fact, is that the chance of Adams taking up office is at best remote. A role for Jansen has marginally more credence although Dermot Desmond, Celtic's majority shareholder, was also a leading figure at the time the Dutchman had a falling-out with Fergus McCann, then the chairman. Jansen subsequently left after just one season in charge, that of 1997-98, in which he won a league and League Cup double.

Jansen, though, said at the weekend: "I want to do something in football but I am not interested in the Celtic job, whether as an assistant or head coach."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...tic-wim-jansen
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article6416229.ece

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Never mind Adams. Celtic are publicly interested in Martinez. Martinez is publicly interested in Celtic. He's the one we should be talking about.

Must say I knew nothing about him until this week when he was linked with the job. He's done well with Swansea both as a player and as manager. 8th in the Championship is a very decent finish straight after promotion.

Good interview here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/football_focus/7889263.stm

Another good article on Martinez:
    A lot of great managers have had pretty plebeian playing careers, of course, and vice-versa. "When you are naturally talented, you don't really think how you do things," Martinez observed. "If you go past 10 people and put the ball in the back of the net, how can you explain that to a normal human being? It's impossible. It's different if you need to learn how you can be effective, how you hide your weaknesses and use your strengths. The only exception I've seen was Cruyff, but that's because he was a genius."

As they have reminded everyone this week, Premier League chairmen not only want results, they want them immediately. As such, they will no doubt become increasingly curious about the terms of the five-year contract Martinez signed last season. But how many of them, being prepared always to take three points at any price, truly speak this man's language?

"I am very strong in my beliefs, and the result has to come in a certain way," he said. "If not, I'm not happy with the result. It's the level of performance that counts, and the way you develop the football club. If you do it well, you'll get the results. Over 10 games, you have to find solutions, to be consistently good enough. But in one game, the pattern of play is as important as the result."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/roberto-martinez-the-next-arsene-wenger-1609097.html

• Advertisement

Can't wait until this is all over tbh. Martinez or Coyle would seem to be the favourites, and decent options going on their records. It could come down to compensation though. Martinez has 4 years left on his contract, Coyle has 2 years left. Wigan are also looking for Martinez and would be in a position to pay big for him, not sure we could match that.

Coyle hasn't signed the contract extension offered to him at Burnley yet, and until he does so, he's still on the radar as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/06/03/SOCCER_Celtic_Martinez.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

The Adams thing is complete bull**** by all accounts:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2009/06/03/celtic-and-wim-jansen-left-stunned-by-flop-boss-tony-adams-claim-to-be-next-hoops-manager-86908-21410565/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Martinez going to Wigan, pity :(

Adams story was ridiculous tbh.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Martinez going to Wigan, pity :(

Adams story was ridiculous tbh.

Glad Celtic are not getting him to be honest he looks as though he has something about him In saying that I wonder if he could have handled the goldfish bowl that is the OF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Nearly crashed the car when I heard bout Adams on the radio.....would be an absolute shocker to say the least an you would have to think we'd be on the road to a half full Celtic Park like it was in the John Barnes "period of transition":eek:

How's about this for a suggestion......Claudio Ranieri?? I know he might cost a bit in wages but he's without a club!

How's about this for a suggestion......Claudio Ranieri?? I know he might cost a bit in wages but he's without a club!
    he is also currently in the Bahama's, where Mr Dermot Desmond is also spending some quality time just now. more than likely nothing in it, but hey, you never know :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Mowbray is the front runner this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

West Brom have insisted that no approach has been made by Celtic for Mowbray. I'd say Martinez is Wigan bound at this stage. Mowbray would be a good man for the job imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

West Brom have insisted that no approach has been made by Celtic for Mowbray. I'd say Martinez is Wigan bound at this stage. Mowbray would be a good man for the job imo.

I would have confidence in Mowbray he could have folded last season around xmas and looked to bulk up he's team with relegation battle experts but he stood strong and played the game he felt was most attractive and I admire that.

He could be a fans favorite if he turns up to celtic park with the same attitude but the results will have to follow too, no point playing great football if we're dropping points at home or points on the road that we should be winning.

I'd like to see a manager in place by this time next week so he can concentrate on improving a squad that needs one or two quality players. Plus with the qulifiers we'll have an early start to the season.

£2 mill compensation though is saucey surely this can be negotiated down? Come on Lawell get the finger out!

Whats the boards opinion on Mowbray situation? Do posters think 2m would be a good bit of business from Celtic's perspective to get him on board? When you see the Ronaldo figures, its a different world isnt it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Anyone able to shed some light on the talk of Bojan Coming on loan? any truth in this what so ever and if so who instigating it?

ecoli wrote: »
    Anyone able to shed some light on the talk of Bojan Coming on loan? any truth in this what so ever and if so who instigating it?

pssst! You might want to sort out a manager first....:pac:

Any of you lads cancelling Setanta? I don't know what to do. Only for they have the SPL I wouldn't have it as I don't watch golf or any of the other stuff they show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pssst! You might want to sort out a manager first....:pac:

Well it has a bearing on our manager if it is true as influences a managers decision if he does not have total control over transfer dealings

ecoli wrote: »
    Well it has a bearing on our manager if it is true as influences a managers decision if he does not have total control over transfer dealings

OK, lets get this straight.

Bojan, will not be at Parkhead next season, neither will Michael Owen or any other crazy rumours that are abounding on the internet.

Paul: Cancel it.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Any of you lads cancelling Setanta? I don't know what to do. Only for they have the SPL I wouldn't have it as I don't watch golf or any of the other stuff they show.

I pay annually so thats me rightly snookered... Ill only lose two or three months. I have a feeling they might survive, just a hunch I have...

• Advertisement

Brewster wrote: »
    I pay annually so thats me rightly snookered... Ill only lose two or three months. I have a feeling they might survive, just a hunch I have...

They wont survive. Not as the Setanta we know and "love" anyway.

Someone will come in and back them however, but wether or not they keep the SPL rights is a completely different issue.

Cancel your contract over the summer months paul, then wait and see what happens.

will miss Celtic telly too

poindexter wrote: »
    will miss Celtic telly too

Know the feeling will miss Rangers Telly used to love watching Humbling The Hoops :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

After the hunch's you had on the title race this year :eek:

Paulo this is a sure sign that Setanta will be fine ;)

Know the feeling will miss Rangers Telly used to love watching Humbling The Hoops :P
    used to being the main words there:D

After the hunch's you had on the title race this year :eek:

Paulo this is a sure sign that Setanta will be fine ;)

Cant be correct all the time! I try my best! I got it wrong much like the bookies! In fairness to me, who would have thought Celtic would have failed to score a goal in their last two league games? I dont think many Celtic fans would have put their mortgage on this happening to be fair. An unreal statistic, Celtic down through the years always got a goal when the needed it. All they needed was two solitary goals to win the league, so I doubt I was the only one tipping them for title glory. Anyway for good of Scottish game, I think its important Rangers won league in the end....

I think its important Rangers won league in the end....

I couldnt agree more! :D

Cant be correct all the time! I try my best! I got it wrong much like the bookies! In fairness to me, who would have thought Celtic would have failed to score a goal in their last two league games? I dont think many Celtic fans would have put their mortgage on this happening to be fair. An unreal statistic, Celtic down through the years always got a goal when the needed it. All they needed was two solitary goals to win the league, so I doubt I was the only one tipping them for title glory. Anyway for good of Scottish game, I think its important Rangers won league in the end....
    important how or why?? what would have happened had they not won it to make it so important for you brewster. let's see how they build on it, or will david murray use the money to pay off debts and build his companies up again????

poindexter wrote: »
    or will david murray use the money to pay off debts

Thats exactly whit it WAS important mate, if we hadnt won the league this year (and got the CL spot) then given the current financial climate, and the setanta carry on, we would have been looking for our own version of Fergus McCann around about now.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly whit it WAS important mate, if we hadnt won the league this year (and got the CL spot) then given the current financial climate, and the setanta carry on, we would have been looking for our own version of Fergus McCann around about now.
    so is winning the league going to stop that happening now, or is it just keeping the wolves from the door for another year or so???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement