Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

PauloMN wrote: »
    But you are the one that keeps dropping little posts in about certain management teams being "not very Celtic minded" or "Celtic minded". That's YOU doing that. Every rumoured candidate for the role had you posting you opinion as to whether they were "Celtic minded" or not.

You seem determined to talk about this group of people who have this "Celtic minded" ethos as much as you can for some reason, on a Celtic thread, to the annoyance of a number of regular posters time and time again. I just can't believe how long you've got away with it as if any of us went on the Liverpool thread, or the Man Utd thread, or any other thread of a team we don't support and continually posted stuff just to wind people up, we'd be told to f**k off and rightly so.

Paul, I wasnt the only one posting about this. Dempsey a Celtic fan posted similar sentiments to myself re Strachan being forced out, so lets be clear about this. We just need to agree to disagree. We are all adults, we all have opinions, and we aren't going to agree all the time. There is no place for nasty snipping on the forum towards myself though simply because I express opinions that you personally dont agree with. Surely you can all accept this??Ive a keen interest in the SPL and its nice to be able to discuss issues with other people who share a similar interest. The issue has been discussed as much as it possibly can and its time to move on, don't you think?

poindexter wrote: »
    brewster seems just like some kind of plant who is just here to be a pain on the tits and annoy people. just found ignore button here and it's good to put it to some good use.

Very well reasoned and thought out sentiments...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    Paul, I wasnt the only one posting about this. Dempsey a Celtic fan posted similar sentiments to myself re Strachan being forced out, so lets be clear about this. We just need to agree to disagree. We are all adults, we all have opinions, and we aren't going to agree all the time. There is no place for nasty snipping on the forum towards myself though simply because I express opinions that you personally dont agree with. Surely you can all accept this??Ive a keen interest in the SPL and its nice to be able to discuss issues with other people who share a similar interest. The issue has been discussed as much as it possibly can and its time to move on, don't you think?

What has that got to do with anything? Expressing opinions is different to constantly repeating the same drivel time after time, which is imo done purely to wind people up.

I have no problem with people expressing opinions I don't agree with. The other Rangers fans on here express different views to my own from time to time, yet there's never an issue with that. Ask yourself why Brewster.

Without looking very hard I found these quotes from you in relation to some of the rumoured candidates (I'm sure there's plenty more):

Adams
    I dont think Adams is Celtic minded enough to get the job!

Coyle
    Fairly Celtic minded so in that case!

Aitken
    I think he is Celtic minded....!

Grant, Lennon, Mowbray
    Fairly Celtic minded indeed....

That's not just having a different opinion. You obviously have some issues with this whole "Celtic minded" thing - but here is not the place for them.

What has that got to do with anything? Expressing opinions is different to constantly repeating the same drivel time after time, which is imo done purely to wind people up.

I have no problem with people expressing opinions I don't agree with. The other Rangers fans on here express different views to my own from time to time, yet there's never an issue with that. Ask yourself why Brewster.

Without looking very hard I found these quotes from you in relation to some of the rumoured candidates (I'm sure there's plenty more):

Adams

Coyle

Aitken

Grant, Lennon, Mowbray

That's not just having a different opinion. You obviously have some issues with this whole "Celtic minded" thing - but here is not the place for them.

Paul, Im consistent in my opinion, thats all that states. I am not going to deny that. However, to try and make out that my opinions are not valid or that I have another agenda simply because I repeated them on the forum is plain silly! All that states is that I believe what I post, with good reason. Im prepared to draw a line under this like I have done on other issues in the past that have been contenious on this forum. We aren't going to agree. Can we get back to talking about football etc..? I keep getting accused of being this and that, some of which are laughable and none of which is true. Some of the comments towards me this week have been below the belt and were rightly removed from the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The other Rangers fans on here express different views to my own from time to time, yet there's never an issue with that. Ask yourself why Brewster.

Sneaky one :D and I see he didnt even try and deny it either!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well spotted. ;)

I did see that, and I did think about pointing it out, but I said whats the point? You obviously dont feel its possible for an Irishman to post anything negative about Celtic, without being on the windup or being a Rangers fan. Its sad and pathetic and really is a terrible attitude to adopt. I can go onto Motors forum, golf forum, rugby forum and many others and post away and theres not a bad word said against me! What does that tell you?

I did see that, and I did think about pointing it out, but I said whats the point? You obviously dont feel its possible for an Irishman to post anything negative about Celtic, without being on the windup or being a Rangers fan. Its sad and pathetic and really is a terrible attitude to adopt. I can go onto Motors forum, golf forum, rugby forum and many others and post away and theres not a bad word said against me! What does that tell you?

That tells me that you should stay there tbh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What does that tell you?

It tells me you only wind up Celtic fans in the Celtic thread. What does it tell you?

• Advertisement

It tells me you only wind up Celtic fans in the Celtic thread. What does it tell you?

Does it? And why would this be? And whats so special about Celtic fans that they would deserve such special treatment from me?! Lads, dont flatter youselves... I know many Celtic fans, and while we dont agree on everything, I am allowed to express an opinion among them....

That tells me that you should stay there tbh ;)

Again thats not very pleasant...... Tell me, when did I post something unpleasant about yourself Premierstone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why on earth do you keep hanging around here where obv you are not wanted?? Are you for real even?? Almost 90% of your posts on boards since begiining of the year have been in this thread. Frankly, that's plain weird.

Why on earth do you keep hanging around here where obv you are not wanted?? Are you for real even?? Almost 90% of your posts on boards since begiining of the year have been in this thread. Frankly, that's plain weird.

Did you count my posts Coillte Bhoy?! Thanks for the Statistical update! I post on a few forums I have an interest in, hardly any surprise. I have already named them. I have an interest in the SPL and am perfectly entitled to post here. I'll hang out anywhere I want thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

FFS...:mad:

1. If you want to put somebody on your ignore list, do so, but don't broadcast it to the world.

2. If you have a problem with a post by another user, if you feel they are in breach of the forum charter, report the post, do not engage them in debate about how they are winding people up, or trolling...all of which can be construed as back seat modding.

3. I have no idea what this "Celtic minded" crap is about, but it is clearly a bone of contention, so cut it out.

Brewster suggested drawing a line under things a while ago, well I am drawing that line for you all. This discussion ends now, get back to talking about football or get the fúck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

picard.gif

My previous post obviously didn't sink in with certain people.

Report posts you think need are in breach of the charter. Nobody has done that in relation to this particular issue as of yet.

Do not comment about breaches of the charter on-thread. There's been plenty of that already.

This discussion ends now

If you need to continue the debate with a mod then PM myself or any of the other mods.

If you have a complaint to make about moderation or lack therof, take it to Feedback or the Help Desk.

I will ban anyone who continues beyond this point, and ignores the two posts I've now made to provide guidance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Do any of the Rangers lads know when they start pre season? Celtic start in Australia July 12th ahh King Billy would be proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Badabing wrote: »
    Do any of the Rangers lads know when they start pre season? Celtic start in Australia July 12th ahh King Billy would be proud :)

Think the players are back in about three weeks, don't think he will be there though :p

Badabing wrote: »

Speaking of, have you seen who has just moved to our opponents out there - Brisbane Roar?

None other than Bob "FTP" "Sleepy" Malcolm!

Speaking of, have you seen who has just moved to our opponents out there - Brisbane Roar?

None other than Bob "FTP" "Sleepy" Malcolm!

Its not far enough away as far as I am concerned. The thing is I knew him well when he was a boy coached his underage team and have to say a perfect example of how a boy turns out when his parent's brainwash him and give him bad advice

How is everyone today lads?! Not looking good for Setanta now boys, thats two hunches Ive got wrong on this board recently! Are they gonners? Is SPL going to go into freefall??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

welcome home Peter Grant. listening to him on the radio last night and again reading what he was saying in the papers, it's great to have him back.

welcome home Peter Grant. listening to him on the radio last night and again reading what he was saying in the papers, it's great to have him back.

Yes that's great for Celtic. Ally McCoist was full of praise for Grant which is great to see. The two seem to get on great, there is a lesson for all Old Firm fans here Poindexter!

What are Celtic's fans views of Nakamura? Would you like him to stay one more year and see how he fits in under a new manager, his passing game could well thrive under Mowbray, or would you be happy for him to go elsewhere?

Yes that's great for Celtic. Ally McCoist was full of praise for Grant which is great to see. The two seem to get on great, there is a lesson for all Old Firm fans here Poindexter!

What are Celtic's fans views of Nakamura? Would you like him to stay one more year and see how he fits in under a new manager, his passing game could well thrive under Mowbray, or would you be happy for him to go elsewhere?

To late he is away to Espanyol he is taking the scenic route back to Japan :pac::p

To late he is away to Espanyol he is taking the scenic route back to Japan :pac::p

Where did u see this?

Where did u see this?

ITV teletext :)

nothing on here about it http://www.celticfc.net/news/news.aspx

seems that could be the way he's going though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What lesson would that be?:confused:

I believe Brewster was saying that Rangers and Celtic fans could get on better ;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ier-league-sky

Sky is the favourite to reclaim main broadcasting rights for the Scottish Premier League after it was confirmed that the league is "actively engaging in the process of selling its domestic broadcasting rights" after Setanta failed to make its outstanding payment of £3m.

At a hastily arranged press conference at Hampden, the SPL executive chairman, Lex Gold, said: "Setanta missed the deadline for the £3m we set for them. We set three deadlines and we wanted to work with Setanta who have been a great partner of ours.

"They have spent £60m supporting Scottish football and our board were determined to give them every possible chance to work through the problems that they had. That process has been lengthy and intensive but the deadline today was the final deadline so our right reverted to us as of 3pm today."

The SPL is understood to have been in talks with Sky for a number of weeks regarding a £90m rescue plan – £35m less than Setanta originally paid for the rights – as Setanta's financial problems became increasingly apparent. The American broadcaster ESPN has also indicated a willingness to screen Scottish football on a four-year deal but the level of exposure and perceived lower levels of risk attached to returning to Sky is likely to sway SPL clubs.

A year ago Sky made an offer to screen live SPL matches for four years from 2010. Despite backing from Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers, the other SPL clubs opted to extend their relationship with Setanta for an agreed fee of £125m.

Yet Setanta defaulted on a £3m end-of-season payment to Scottish clubs and has subsequently lost its rights to screen English Premier League games after a rescue package led by the American tycoon Len Blavatnik failed.

Although no SPL clubs are yet on the brink of extinction as a result of Setanta's troubles, the league's board are aware they must move quickly to safeguard future television income. Under the present Setanta deal, each club would receive £500,000 at the start of the new season.

Gold confirmed today that the league was keen to secure a new deal with the minimum of delay, but denied that he had made any approaches to other broadcasters. "We aim to do that as quickly as possible given that the football season starts on 15 August," Gold said. "We have not been able to get into formal discussions because the rights have been with Setanta. But I believe that, in sporting terms, we have the most valuable sporting product in Scotland and Scotland is important to broadcasters, so I remain pretty hopeful that we will deliver an early outcome.

"I have made informal approaches to no one," Gold added.

He also said that the SPL will be seeking recompense from Setanta, as part of the contract agreement with the broadcaster. "We had built into the contract safeguards so we had guarantees that we will now be pursuing," Gold said. "The lawyers are in the process of doing that. But I would hope there would be no court case. Our relationship with Setanta has always been very good."

I believe Brewster was saying that Rangers and Celtic fans could get on better ;)

Take a bow son, thats exactly what I was saying...

• Advertisement

Tell me your joking and you understood what I was saying! Comprehension skills not the best Coillte_Bhoy?!!

thing is though, in here at least Celtic and rangers fans seem to get on well. it's only him who is the pain :D

The thing is the whole I hate him/her because she supports Rangers/Celtic is a lot of crap in most cases by far the majority of my mates here are Tic fans who I have great respect for now there are people who support Celtic that I despise but not because they are Tic fans but because they are numties anyway.

When I go over to Glasgow and I go out with my mates it's a mixed group of Gers fans and tic fans with a sprinkling of other clubs thrown in and again there are people over there I wouldn't want to spend time with and again not because they are Tic fans in fact a few of them are Gers fans.

At the end of the day it comes down to the person not the team

The thing is the whole I hate him/her because she supports Rangers/Celtic is a lot of crap in most cases by far the majority of my mates here are Tic fans who I have great respect for now there are people who support Celtic that I despise but not because they are Tic fans but because they are numties anyway.

When I go over to Glasgow and I go out with my mates it's a mixed group of Gers fans and tic fans with a sprinkling of other clubs thrown in and again there are people over there I wouldn't want to spend time with and again not because they are Tic fans in fact a few of them are Gers fans.

At the end of the day it comes down to the person not the team
    good shout. more or less the same here, though when i do go home it mainly is for games so more time among the Celtic fans is had. many a night after games though, rangers ones included we'd hit a pub for a karaoke/sing song bit of banter and have a buzz with the gers fans too, all in good fun. the game is over and life goes on

Eirebear, broxi bear and brewster you guys a getting an awfull hard time on the Arsenal thread at the moment I wouldnt have thought the perception of Rangers fans was that bad in Arsenal or is it just because its irish-arsenal fans?

Eirebear, broxi bear and brewster you guys a getting an awfull hard time on the Arsenal thread at the moment I wouldnt have thought the perception of Rangers fans was that bad in Arsenal or is it just because its irish-arsenal fans?

It never used to be bad but I don't think the events in Manchester have helped us. There is also as you say the fact some of the Arsenal fans giving us a bad time are Irish unfortunatley you still get some eejits for example I was in Kildare the other week (was going down to Dublin for the War of the Worlds Concert and myself and the Mrs decided to make a weekend of it and catch up with some old friends) anyway we were all in the Pub and one of our group is a big tic fan so we were having a slagging match and this wee Muppet at the next table took umbrage at the fact I was a bear.

The problem was though he said he was a Tic fan he knew nothing about them really but he kept it going and going until I was ready to batter him upshot is he is barred from his local for six months :)

It never used to be bad but I don't think the events in Manchester have helped us. There is also as you say the fact some of the Arsenal fans giving us a bad time are Irish unfortunatley you still get some eejits for example I was in Kildare the other week (was going down to Dublin for the War of the Worlds Concert and myself and the Mrs decided to make a weekend of it and catch up with some old friends) anyway we were all in the Pub and one of our group is a big tic fan so we were having a slagging match and this wee Muppet at the next table took umbrage at the fact I was a bear.

The problem was though he said he was a Tic fan he knew nothing about them really but he kept it going and going until I was ready to batter him upshot is he is barred from his local for six months :)
    can't take yous anywhere but you want to start fights with innocent locals :p

is setanta finished???? am still in work and can't get near telly, but another forum saying it's done/gone/kapoot.

is setanta finished???? am still in work and can't get near telly, but another forum saying it's done/gone/kapoot.

I didn't though I showed great restraint and maturity(To old to be fighting in pubs :) )

Yeah into administration though Setanta Ireland is still going why I don't know but there you go

Yeah, was thinking that.... he did a "Lafferty" and got the other lad red carded. :P

Regarding Setanta - it's all very unclear at the moment. They are finished in the UK, but in Ireland they are still operating. How long they can/will continue to do so who knows. No mention of SPL coverage at the moment on that Irish site.

'Fishal site:
    http://www.setanta.com/global/ie.html

Even more depressing is that the likes of Hull can outbid us for players. :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, was thinking that.... he did a "Lafferty" and got the other lad red carded. :P

Regarding Setanta - it's all very unclear at the moment. They are finished in the UK, but in Ireland they are still operating. How long they can/will continue to do so who knows. No mention of SPL coverage at the moment on that Irish site.

'Fishal site:
    http://www.setanta.com/global/ie.html

Even more depressing is that the likes of Hull can outbid us for players. :(

Didn't even waste my time getting out my chair Paul ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I think thats the end of the SPL in setanta ireland. Even though setanta ireland will keep operating, the license rights for the spl were held in the uk, which went under. hate forking out dosh to sky next year :mad:

I think thats the end of the SPL in setanta ireland. Even though setanta ireland will keep operating, the license rights for the spl were held in the uk, which went under. hate forking out dosh to sky next year :mad:

I would rather that than ESPN at least that way for me its already in the package I pay for rather than paying a separate bill :p

I would rather that than ESPN at least that way for me its already in the package I pay for rather than paying a separate bill :p

Ditto. Anyway the amount I'm spending on TV is just ridiculous, so I'm dropping Sky Sports and Movies, Setanta and downgrading my general TV package on UPC.

Will probably resubscribe to whoever decides to show SPL in August.

Will probably resubscribe to whoever decides to show SPL in August.
    same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Theres a fair few limp wrists in that thread alright eh?

To be fair to them, they only get to see what the news reports so its more than likely they never gave a toss untill the manchester dabacle.

Unfortunately that will follow us around like a bad smell for a long time to come, and deservedly so.

its a shame, because it would have been nice for them to hear a wee bit of atmosphere in their plastic stadium that holds no history whatsoever....

Eirebear wrote: »
    Theres a fair few limp wrists in that thread alright eh?

To be fair to them, they only get to see what the news reports so its more than likely they never gave a toss untill the manchester dabacle.

Unfortunately that will follow us around like a bad smell for a long time to come, and deservedly so.

its a shame, because it would have been nice for them to hear a wee bit of atmosphere in their plastic stadium that holds no history whatsoever....

Lol, meeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Ah sure, don't worry about them, we'll put up with yous on here. :)

Oh, and that ^^^ didn't go unnoticed either! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Anyone on here apart from eirebhoy not want Hartley to stay at Celtic for another year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement