Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Where did O'Brien go mate from the little I saw of him he looked a half decent player

In talks with Swindon apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Blackjack wrote: »
    Contract terminated by Mutual consent apparently. Shame, I thought he'd be alright, but he was forever injured.
    In talks with Swindon apparently

But as Blackjack says forever injured pity that liked what I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

back from self-imposed exile to let any of you in the Galway area know that WGS is strolling around the town today.

Just in case any of you wanna throw eggs...or an arm round his shoulder.

big b wrote: »
    back from self-imposed exile to let any of you in the Galway area know that WGS is strolling around the town today.

And why did you go into exile :confused:

And why did you go into exile :confused:

I wasn't enjoying it, Broxi.

• Advertisement

I wasn't enjoying it, Broxi.

Fair comment that can happen at times, anyway welcome back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

no way, are you for real??? teh strach is in Galway???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You sure it's not Davy Carton from the Saw Doctors?!

Twas WGS alright.
    rambling around M & S & Shop Street sporting a "lovely" pair of shorts.

Maybe he was over to see those fields he kept hearing about ;)

Twas WGS alright.

Just be thankful that he's in Galway and not on his way to Australia with the rest of the squad.

Best of luck to Mogga!!!

• Advertisement

Lennon in talks with Stockport County to take over as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Twas WGS alright.

Im guessing it wasnt these!

09-10-celtic-international-away-shorts-300x235.jpg:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20090706_102004_fortune-absent.html

Prior to joining Glasgow Celtic, Marc-Antoine Fortune did not trained with Nancy on Sunday...

eirebhoy wrote: »
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20090706_102004_fortune-absent.html

Prior to joining Glasgow Celtic, Marc-Antoine Fortune did not trained with Nancy on Sunday...

Rumour has it he's in Glasgow for signing talks at the mo - some Celtic boards are even saying he's signed.

Yeh he's definitely in Glasgow, confirmed by his club. So it looks like a signing unless he fails his medical as they've already agreed on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Is he any good?

Never saw him play but from clips he seems to drag the opposing defence all over the place. Encouraging that 4 premiership teams wanted to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Never saw him play but from clips he seems to drag the opposing defence all over the place. Encouraging that 4 premiership teams wanted to sign him.

Could be the perfect partner for skippy creating space and improving the final ball which killed us towards the end of last season.

His goals ratio isn't too hot but i think he's being brought in for creativity. 15 to 20 goals and 10 assists next season from him and we'll call it a satisfactory debut season!!

At least the board is spending. :)

Portsmouth have come in with a bid for him now.

Apparently he has rejected "offers from Hull and Portsmouth and interest from West Ham and move to the SPL". Link below.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2518660.0.0.php

Hopefully we'll get castillo as well but Bolton are sniffing around him too.

• Advertisement

He's had his medical and due to sign once his agent arrives in Glasgow later.

A few goals:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ymeu_marcantoine-fortune_sport

A loan deal has also been agreed for N'Guemo.

Fortune Officially Signed

N'Guemo should be signed on loan in the next couple of days.

N'Guemo actually a done deal already. 1 year loan with the option to buy. Both will travel to Oz with Celtic.

http://www.asnl.net/actu.html

That's Hartley and Vennegoor's replacements in. :)

Where else in the team would you like strenghted? Naka is real blow and impossible to replace.

Left back, centre half and maybe some sort of midfield playmaker as Crosas is the only one with first team experience and he hasn't got much himself. Preferably an attacking one though. We can't pin our hopes on McCourt. ;)

I've been looking up on N'Guemo. He's not a sitting midfielder. Seems to be all action exactly like Brown.

Left back, centre half and maybe some sort of midfield playmaker as Crosas is the only one with first team experience and he hasn't got much himself. Preferably an attacking one though. We can't pin our hopes on McCourt. ;)

I've been looking up on N'Guemo. He's not a sitting midfielder. Seems to be all action exactly like Brown.[/QUOT

Yeah i agree, I think also that Mowbray will see that we need to play to Browns strenghts in paticular in european games, in theory Flood could have a part in the team next season im not sure where tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Apparently Celtic have made enquiries about signing Kris Commons from Derby, ex-forrest player seen quite a bit of him and think it would be a very very good signing

Is Commons not just another winger though? I thought we were sorted in that department but maybe he wants to play McGeady or Maloney in a different role.

Mowbray:
    "I saw that running the other day and I'm not sure where that has come from.

"He's not a player we have discussed.

"It's the power of TV. The whole world believes something if they see it running across their screens.

"If I was a supporter, I would probably have believed it also."

The Nancy official website said both clubs have signed the deals for N'Guemo to join Celtic on a years loan with option to buy. They said he was supposed to fly to Glasgow on Friday but missed his flight. He'll sign the deal on Monday.

"I will be flying to Scotland on Monday to finalise the move to Celtic.

''There are no other clubs involved, I'm going to Celtic and it's a good move for me.

"They are a big club and it will be great to play in the same team as Marc-Antoine Fortune again.

''I'm really looking forward to starting my time at Celtic."

Fortune said yesterday:
    "I have played with him for two years. He is a good player. He has good technique. For me, he is the best player at Nancy. It will be good if he can come to Celtic. He can both defend and attack. He has good acceleration with the ball. I am surprised Nancy are letting him go."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

did celtic get a new keeper too? as back up for boruc or to replace him?

Yeh another Polish international Zaluska. They'll be battling it out for the number 1 spot but it's still Boruc's to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superhands

Celtic dismissing Viduka rumours today

anyone think he could have done a good job for a couple more years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Viduka...interesting! linkage?

If whoevers starting up the 2009/2010 thread, get the name of the club right.
    Its Celtic Football club, not Glasgow Celtic!!

Viduka no thanks a big fat waste of space always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Trilla wrote: »
    Viduka...interesting! linkage?

If whoevers starting up the 2009/2010 thread, get the name of the club right.
    Its Celtic Football club, not Glasgow Celtic!!

New thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055618502

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Please continue on this thread for another few weeks, as I've explained in the linked thread.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Viduka going back to Celtic ? ..Interesting , I think he could get goals in the double figures in the SPL .

He would need to go this week and get a good pre-season in , loose the extra weight , sure he will have Boruc for support.:D

My 2 pence worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Viduka to Celtic is lazy tabloid pish. No chance.

And what Celtic "fan" named a thread GLASGOW Celtic :confused:

Thanks to Trilla for pointing this out as I never even noticed the name of the thread :D

Celtic beat Brisbane 3-0 in their first pre-season match. The team was:

Boruc (Zaluszka 46')
    Hinkel (Caddis 61') ---- Loovens
    Caldwell ---- Naylor (Misun 61')
    McCourt (Mizuno 46') -- Crosas (Ferry 61') -- Flood -- Maloney (McGeady 46')
    Killen (Fortune 46') --- McDonald (Samaras 46')

Goals: Killen (Naylor), Killen (Maloney), Mizuno (Samaras).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brisbane Roar 0 Celtic 3

Boruc had a great game apparently, and Killen scored two with Mizuno scoring the 3rd.

Said it before, I'd like to see Killen given a chance under Mowbray. Given how poor Samaras was last season, I see more competition for stikers as a good thing.

Edit: beaten to it by a minute!!

• Advertisement

glad to see Paul Caddis out there with the team. he belongs there and if given the chance i think he will cement a place for himself in that team.

get in there son, YNWA

YNWA BBJ

thoughts and prayers go out to you big man

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

poindexter wrote: »
    YNWA BBJ

thoughts and prayers go out to you big man

Dreadful news, was shocked to hear that this morning. Scares the f**k out of me, especially when he's so young and has a young family also. :(

I hope and pray he can fight it.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Dreadful news, was shocked to hear that this morning. Scares the f**k out of me, especially when he's so young and has a young family also. :(

I hope and pray he can fight it.

Couldn't put it better myself My thoughts are with the big man and his family

Looks like signing number three is close. According to other Celtic forums N'guemo is said to be on the pitch of celtic park at the moment getting taken around with peter lawell. But no media confirmation of this yet.

Extract below from Evening times.

CELTIC are making steady progress in their bid to secure Landry N'Guemo on loan from Nancy.
    However, the Hoops are also looking at other players, including more midfielders.
    Spanish 24-year-old Fernando Marques claims Celtic have offered him a trial at Lennoxtown to prove he is worth an offer.
    The former Atletico Madrid player was released by Iraklis having failed to settle at the Greek club.

He is considering offers to remain in Greece, but wants to head to Great Britain.
    Shunsuke Nakamura's agent, Roberto Takuda, has been acting as in intermediary in negotiations with Celtic.
    Marques is baulking at the prospect of having to come on trial, believing his CV is good enough to earn him a straight deal.
    His agent Manuel Ferrer said: "Celtic have made a proposal for Fernando to go on trial for a few days.
    "However, he is unsure about this.
    "It's normal in the UK for players to go to a club for a trial. In Spain and Europe they do not do this kind of thing often.
    "So we are speaking about this and I hope he will accept.
    "We have other offers from Saloniki but Celtic are a very good option.
    "They go in the Champions League and it's a good championship to let clubs from the Premier League have a look at you.
    "We are still speaking to Roberto Takuda about the possibility of doing something with Celtic.
    "I like the idea and want to persuade Fernando to consider it."
    Celtic have also been linked again with Austrian midfielder Andreas Ivanschitz.
    He said: "It would be fantastic to play for them. I've seen some of their matches on TV and their fans are amazing."
    However, sources at the club have denied any interest in the Panathinaikos player

evening times

TV deal completed with SKY & ESPN

At today’s AGM, the clubs agreed a £65 million deal with Sky and ESPN to screen 60 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League matches each season across the UK and Ireland.

The deal will last until the end of season 2011/12 with the SPL having an option to extend for a further two seasons.

Lex Gold, Chairman of the SPL, said: “We are pleased that in just over three weeks we have been able to strike this deal. Sky and ESPN are two of the biggest names in sports broadcasting and they will bring first class production standards and a wide audience to the table.

"We are looking forward to working with both in the coming years to raise the profile of the SPL for our clubs, fans and partners."

Additional information
    + Sky and ESPN will both cover 30 live Clydesdale Bank Premier League games each season.

+ The broadcast slots will remain as Saturday lunchtimes, Sunday lunchtimes, Sunday afternoons and Monday nights.

+ The SPL’s existing broadcasting deals with BBC, BT Vision, MG ALBA and Sportfive will be unaffected by this deal.

+ All games will be broadcast in High Definition and Standard Definition formats.

what i want to know is how much it's gonna cost me to subscribe to this.:eek::eek: at monday nights. can't wait for a celtic rankers game on easter monday night :D
    SPL agrees TV deal with Sky-ESPN

The Scottish Premier League has agreed a £65m five-year deal with Sky and ESPN to screen 60 live matches each season.

But the SPL has an option of opting out of the final two seasons of the agreement with the new grouping.

Sky-ESPN's deal replaces the one agreed with collapsed broadcaster Setanta, but the clubs will earn about half what they would have gained under that deal.

The new contract is worth a similar amount to Setanta's original deal - £13m per year - due to end next year.

Scotland's 12 top-flight clubs - some of whom were facing severe financial problems without a TV deal - voted on the proposal at the league's annual meeting at Hampden Park on Thursday.

And SPL chairman Lex Gold said: "We are pleased that in just over three weeks we have been able to strike this deal.

"Sky and ESPN are two of the biggest names in sports broadcasting and they will bring first-class production standards and a wide audience to the table.

"We are looking forward to working with both in the coming years to raise the profile of the SPL for our clubs, fans and partners."

Setanta's original contract began in 2006 and the Irish-based broadcaster had negotiated a new contract worth £125m due to begin in 2010.

However, Setanta lost the rights to top-flight football in England and Scotland after being unable to meet payments at the end of last season.

Disney-owned ESPN last month bought the rights to show English Premier League matches that were to have been shown by Setanta.

It plans to launch a new UK sports channel, called ESPN, on 3 August and reached an initial deal to have the channel shown on Sky, which will also be responsible for selling advertising on the new channel.

ESPN-Sky were believed to have offered a five-year contract, but the SPL appears to have won an option for the final to seasons with the new grouping, and the agreement will last until at least the end of season 2011-12.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain said this week that he had been in discussions with Celtic about buying the broadcasting rights themselves because they were unhappy at what they viewed as a cut-price offer.

However, it is believed that the Old Firm's proposal was not voted on at Thursday's meeting.

Meanwhile, St Mirren chairman Stewart Gilmour has been elected to the SPL board, replacing Campbell Christie, who has stepped down as chairman of Falkirk.

Gold was elected unanimously for the eleventh time as chairman but indicated that he would stand down in the autumn.

Hibernian's Rod Petrie, Aberdeen's Duncan Fraser and Rangers' Martin Bain were all re-elected by the clubs to complete the SPL board along with newly-appointed chief executive Neil Doncaster.

I'm on UPC, wonder how that will work?

I presume this will mean subscribing to Sky Sports AND a separate ESPN subscription?

The CL draw is tomorrow morning. Teams we can face:

Dinamo Moscow (Russia)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)
    Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
    Timisoara (Romania)
    Sivasspor (Turkey)

I'd actually probably favour FC Twente from that list. Definitely not Dinamo anyway with them being halfway through their season. Although we did get by Spartak a couple of years ago.

As for the new TV deal, I have Sky anyway and ESPN will just be replacing my Setanta sub at probably half the price.

The CL draw is tomorrow morning. Teams we can face:

Dinamo Moscow (Russia)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)
    Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
    Timisoara (Romania)
    Sivasspor (Turkey)

I'd actually probably favour FC Twente from that list. Definitely not Dinamo anyway with them being halfway through their season. Although we did get by Spartak a couple of years ago.

As for the new TV deal, I have Sky anyway and ESPN will just be replacing my Setanta sub at probably half the price.

Yeah i agree anyone but Dinamo but at this stage of the season all teams will be very tough, a certain Mr. Hartley got the famous goal out in Russia a goal worth 10 million:D

Yeh the days before he was turned into a rubbish holding midfielder. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement