Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Bloody hell! John Reid and Celtic board really go after the SPL board on the website, saying that SKY only offered half of what they offered last year before the SPL accepted Setanta's offer of 125million. The SPL board are really a disgrace and haven't a clue how to negociate with broadcasters or sponsors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

delight as landry nguemo joins celtic
    Paul Cuddihy
    CELTIC Football Club are delighted to announce that Landry NGuemo has joined the club on a season-long loan, with Celtic having an option to make the move a permanent one at the end of the season.

The Cameroon internationalist has moved from French side Nancy and links up with his former team-mate, Marc-Antoine Fortune, who recently became Tony Mowbray’s first signing for Celtic.

The 23-year-old midfielder has been with Nancy for the past four years, making over 100 appearances for the club. And he is delighted to have made the move to Celtic Park.

Speaking exclusively to the official Celtic website, NGuemo said: "This is a fantastic honour to sign for a club of Celtic's stature with its wonderful history and magnificent supporters.

"I'm looking forward to playing for this great club over the next year and hopefully extending my stay at Celtic beyond that."

Landry NGuemo will be officially unveiled as a Celtic player tomorrow, Friday, July 17 at a press conference at the Lennoxtown Training Centre.

Another big striker from the French league being looked at.

"I am in Scotland to begin a trial with Celtic. I don't know what will happen but I do know it's a fantastic opportunity for me to show a great club what I can do and I want to leave here with no regrets."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2539648/2m-and-Ama-Celt.html

FFS. We draw Dinamo Moscow in the CL with the 2nd leg over there. :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

eirebhoy wrote: »

AHH SH*TE thats not good, this will be a real test for Mowbray would definitely need a two goal cushion going over there imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Could have been worse lads.... You could have ended up with having to go away in the second leg to a far away country who are already half way through their season.....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Yeah they'll be fit as they're half way through their season but they were beaten 2-0 at the weekend by a first division team in the Russian Cup plus their only 7th in their league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Cup_2009%E2%80%9310 (scroll down towards the bottom of the page)

Celtic are a far better team then Dinamo. We'll take em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Yeah they'll be fit as they're half way through their season but they were beaten 2-0 at the weekend by a first division team in the Russian Cup plus their only 7th in their league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Cup_2009%E2%80%9310 (scroll down towards the bottom of the page)

Celtic are a far better team then Dinamo. We'll take em.

Thats it be confident boys :p

Eirebear wrote: »
    Could have been worse lads.... You could have ended up with having to go away in the second leg to a far away country who are already half way through their season.....:p

Eirebear i would have thought better of you how dare you :D btw any sign of white smoke over Murray Park? it's been very quiet

• Advertisement

All the noises coming from Ibrox are saying there will be no signings.

Ferguson leaves for Birmingham today, looks like Boughie could be off.

I suspect we are waiting to find out wether we have to share the champions league cash with you lot before making any moves.

BiscuitTin Loyal!

That's leaving it a bit late remember last year! There is more money swirling around the Champions League this year so Rangers should get at least 8-10 million and thats taking in 2 teams in the Group stages.

Rangers fans should be counting their blessings every day that they won the league last season. Half the team would be gone by now without replacements if they failed to do that.

I hear Murray is adamant that Fleck must be given plenty of opportunities this season.

eirebhoy hand on heart time if Celtic didn't get into the Champions League group stage would you be upset and angry?

Badabing wrote: »
    That's leaving it a bit late remember last year! There is more money swirling around the Champions League this year so Rangers should get at least 8-10 million and thats taking in 2 teams in the Group stages.

Yeah but we dont need to qualify this year! ;)
    Rangers fans should be counting their blessings every day that they won the league last season. Half the team would be gone by now without replacements if they failed to do that.

I hear Murray is adamant that Fleck must be given plenty of opportunities this season.

If Rangers didnt win the league last year then the situation you describe was probably the least of our fears in all honesty eirebhoy.

However do believe that it has hit Celtic hard too, i reckon theyll squeeze past Dinamo..but i dont see them qualifying for the CL.
    Given the current climate that missing champions league money will hit any team hard.

eirebhoy hand on heart time if Celtic didn't get into the Champions League group stage would you be upset and angry?
    I wouldn't mind going into the Europa. But not the qualifiers. I'd rather beat Moscow and then wouldn't be upset if we got knocked out by Arsenal or Lyon in the next round.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind going into the Europa. But not the qualifiers. I'd rather beat Moscow and then wouldn't be upset if we got knocked out by Arsenal or Lyon in the next round.

Yeah isn't it Athletico Madrid, Stutgart, and Fiorentina along with the other 2 we can face i think?

I've been looking up on N'Guemo. He's not a sitting midfielder. Seems to be all action exactly like Brown.
    Mowbray:
    "At times with Nancy he's been an attacking midfielder; I see him simply as a midfield player. He's a bit like Scott Brown in that I think he'll be able to do whatever I ask him to do. The days I want him to sit and protect the team, he'll do that. The days I want him to get past the strikers he's got the legs and the energy to do that as well."

http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shfootball/display.var.2520809.0.celtic_coach_tips_nguemo_to_be_the_next_scott_brown.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

have they no had any 50million bids in for fleckham yet??

poindexter wrote: »
    have they no had any 50million bids in for fleckham yet??

See this is what I find amusing nobody in the Ger's management said he was the finished article a few and I mean few fans got overly worked up about him.
    The hysteria was down to the media and one George Burley saying he could be called up to the Scotland squad

I think we may see a bit more of young Mr Fleck this season and I am sure he will progress as a player and be very useful for us. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

a good crowd off to Cardiff for the first of the friendlies. here's hoping a good solid performance is given. only a week til the CL game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rumours abounding that Rangers won't be able to afford a reserve team next season!!!

Think it was in one of the papers, no link at the mo but will get one later.

Rumours abounding that Rangers won't be able to afford a reserve team next season!!!

Think it was in one of the papers, no link at the mo but will get one later.

To a certain extent this is correct but its also been muted that theres going to be a British reserve league.

To be honest I don't see that the reserve league is a great thing now anyway most young players that are good enough are going to be involved with the first team very quickly

To a certain extent this is correct but its also been muted that theres going to be a British reserve league.

Would love to see that happen. However, it's a question of costs that are causing your lot to pull out of the Reserve League (if rumours are true), not that you're off to join a British Reserve League.

Personally I'd like to see Celtic Reserves join in the lower divisions of the Scottish Leagues and work their way up, eventually replacing us in the SPL when we go off to bigger and better things outwith the SPL.

To be honest I don't see that the reserve league is a great thing now anyway most young players that are good enough are going to be involved with the first team very quickly

You're only saying that cos we've won 8 Reserve Leagues in a row and your squad is being trimmed down to 18 players for the forthcoming league campaign.

I can't believe we gifted you the league this season as if we didn't you would be screwed with the amount of debt you have (and rising daily) given that you would have no CL money. In saying that though I think the money to be made from the Europa League won't be that far off what can be made in the CL... but that's if we make the Europa League as I don't think we have a chance in hell of reaching the CL Group Stages.

Rumours in interweb land that even Murray Park is up for sale - you hear anything?

Also, do you remember 6 or 7 years ago you fellas signed away the Youth Team to some businessmen because it was costing too much to run? The reciprocal arrangement was that you have to pay these businessmen for use of your own youth players. What ever happened that agreement? Is it still in place?

Aah I can't wait to watch Celtic under Mowbray.
    As pointed out by the Celtic View, in recent training drills under Mowbray, particular attention has been given to Crosas and his passing ability.

In one recent training drill one half of the team wore yellow bibs, the other half green. Crosas sported a red bib as he always became a part of the team that had possession and he is relishing the training under the new manager.

"I've been doing this sort of training since I was a young boy at Barcelona and I feel comfortable doing it."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2521423.0.crosas_ready_for_a_pivotal_season.php

It should be really intresting for the european games how he plays it in midfield, will he stay attacking or maybe have Fortune up front alone. I can't tell how losing to Aalborg away last season annoyed me so hopefully Mowbray and Venus have the right tactics and players for away games.

Bobby, as far as i can see from the reports on the internet Rangers are mulling over wether to take part in the , now optional, reserve league.

From the BBC
    Cash-strapped Scottish champions Rangers are on the verge of pulling out of the SPL Reserve League.

The Scottish Premier League agreed to make the competition optional at its annual meeting last week.

And Rangers Reserves coach Tommy Wilson told his club website: "It may be that we as a club opt out of that."

Rangers argue that fulfilling 22 reserve fixtures is difficult when players are out on loan and the squad is being trimmed because of finances.

Wilson's reserve side were also denied the services of players from their under-19 squad as they had their own league and SFA Youth Cup fixtures.

And Rangers manager Walter Smith was quoted this week as saying that he is unlikely to add to his senior squad in the current economic climate.

"I am not entirely sure what is happening, but I think a decision will be made soon and we will build our preparations around that," said Wilson.

"Obviously it will be the manager and chief executive that will make the call.

"But I think, when there is a league there, you have to fulfil fixtures whether you are ready or not."

Wilson, who was speaking after Rangers' reserve side beat Oxford United 2-0 in a pre-season friendly, said that arranging regular ad-hoc friendly fixtures would be more beneficial.

The English Conference side, who had beaten First Division Morton 3-0 on Saturday, were beaten thanks to goals from Andrew Little and Steven Lennon.

You will notice that no one actually mentions anything to do with finances...

Dont get me wrong, the knock on effect of us relying more on a smaller squad will affect that of the reserve team..so yes finances do play a part. But its more likely that due to the small squad, our reserve team would basically be an under 17 to under 19 team...so i guess they will just keep them in their respective leagues.

As for Murray park being sold, i havnt heard anything, and i very much doubt it will happen. If Murray is seriously looking for a buyer then Murray Park and the stadium are Rangers most saleable assets.

On the youth team situation, they werent just sold to a random businessman, they were simply sectioned off as another smaller company under the umbrella of Rangers.
    Yes it means that when a youth player comes through, a nominal fee is payed to this company, but its not enough for it to really be anything for fans to worry about.

Bobby, as far as i can see from the reports on the internet Rangers are mulling over wether to take part in the , now optional, reserve league.

From the BBC

Dont get me wrong, the knock on effect of us relying more on a smaller squad will affect that of the reserve team..so yes finances do play a part. But its more likely that due to the small squad, our reserve team would basically be an under 17 to under 19 team...so i guess they will just keep them in their respective leagues.

As for Murray park being sold, i havnt heard anything, and i very much doubt it will happen. If Murray is seriously looking for a buyer then Murray Park and the stadium are Rangers most saleable assets.

On the youth team situation, they werent just sold to a random businessman, they were simply sectioned off as another smaller company under the umbrella of Rangers.
    Yes it means that when a youth player comes through, a nominal fee is payed to this company, but its not enough for it to really be anything for fans to worry about.

Cheers Son I was just coming on to reply to that saved me the bother:D

Only thing I am going to say now is in reply to Celtic gifting us the league thats rubbish your players and management could not get it right over the season whereas Rangers players and management did ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

From the BBC

Rangers argue that fulfilling 22 reserve fixtures is difficult when players are out on loan and the squad is being trimmed because of finances.
    Did I miss something?

Blackjack wrote: »
    Did I miss something?

Obvously...the lack of quotes mentioning anything to do with finances maybe?

Obvously...the lack of quotes mentioning anything to do with finances maybe?
    As in, it's not Walter Smith, but it's being quoted as a "Rangers Argue" thing?

• Advertisement

As in, it's not Walter Smith, but it's being quoted as a "Rangers Argue" thing?

As in, there are no quotes from anyone at Rangers mentioning finances.

The writer of the article has dropped in "Rangers Argue" without backing it up at all.

As in, there are no quotes from anyone at Rangers mentioning finances.?

The writer of the article has dropped in "Rangers Argue" without backing it up at all.

Not like the Beeb in Fairness. Now if it were the Daily Record, I'd have a be a bit more sympathetic, but what other reason would there be to have a small squad, other than Financial?

Not like the Beeb in Fairness. Now if it were the Daily Record, I'd have a be a bit more sympathetic, but what other reason would there be to have a small squad, other than Financial?

This is the same beeb who captioned a picture "Kevin Thomson_****".

There website is like the rolling news channels, generally full of innacuracies (cue comments about KT being a ****...:D)

As i said, of course weve reduced the squad size because of finances, but i dont think opting out of the reserve league is to do with this, especially when were punting the idea of regular games against teams in england. surely that would be more of a drain?

This is the same beeb who captioned a picture "Kevin Thomson_****".

There website is like the rolling news channels, generally full of innacuracies (cue comments about KT being a ****...:D)

As i said, of course weve reduced the squad size because of finances, but i dont think opting out of the reserve league is to do with this, especially when were punting the idea of regular games against teams in england. surely that would be more of a drain?

Well, I've sung "you are replaceable" to that particular player so again sympathy is in short supply on that front, so your prophecies are somewhat fulfilled. Happy to take the 2 Million off you for that Cheating little turncoat **** anyway.

That particular article from the Beeb's webite only mentioned about ad hoc friendlies, didn't say anything about an England Reserves League.

and you may notice neither do i.

However, a reserve match against say, one of the London teams, will obviously be more of a drain on the resources than a quick bus trip to edinburgh or motherwell.

Take a step back and look at things...

You believe you're "trimming" (decimating more like it!") your squad to 18 because of finances. Those 18 players will be supplemented by Youths (whom the club can't afford to own - by the way if you produce the next Ronaldo at your youth set up Rangers are NOT guaranteed to get him, whomever might pay the largest amount to the businessmen that own your youth set up will!) who not only do you have to pay but you also have to pay the businessmen that have paid for their development.

It costs a fortune to run a reserve team mainly because there are players getting paid thousands a week who will never play for the first team. Take away the reserve team ad you take away maybe 10 players off a wage bill. The expensive thing is not the travelling to the games - it's the wages of the players!

18 players is nowhere near enough players for a League campaign - never mind a league and CL campaign - you guys will be doing well to finish second, not a hope of winning... and I will put my money where my mouth is if you like. There's always players suspended or injured so that will mean instead of a half decent Nacho Novo or such other you'll have to throw a youngster in at the deep end because your finances are so shockingly looked after. Moonbeams Murray is pulling the wool over the eyes of many still.

By the way who owns Murray Park? I don't think Rangers FC do, do they?

It should be really intresting for the european games how he plays it in midfield, will he stay attacking or maybe have Fortune up front alone. I can't tell how losing to Aalborg away last season annoyed me so hopefully Mowbray and Venus have the right tactics and players for away games.
    I was out all day so missed the match last night but apparently N'Guemo was very impressive. Good to see O'Dea is back from injury as we need another centre half badly. Donati supposedly played well, as most players did.

It was 4-4-2 last night but I think we might start seeing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 now at Wembley. Looking forward to it.

I was out all day so missed the match last night but apparently N'Guemo was very impressive. Good to see O'Dea is back from injury as we need another centre half badly. Donati supposedly played well, as most players did.

It was 4-4-2 last night but I think we might start seeing a 4-5-1/4-3-3 now at Wembley. Looking forward to it.

I heard O'Dea had a good game too.

Surely he's set up for a long run in the team now?

I'd be happy with O'Dea and Loovens at centre half tbh. I think Loovens could be our most dominant centre half while O'Dea likes to control and organise things.

• Advertisement

Really hope O'Dea gets hes chance now, always felt Strachan didnt quite rate him and the fact that McManus was captain and Caldwell was the golden boy in strachans eyes he really suffered, would be great news for Ireland aswell cos its not like we're blessed with options at the back and if O'Dea isnt better than McShane and Kilbane then I know fcuk all about football :D

Celtic are about to sign left back Danny Fox off Coventry. He was in the championship team of the season and has had a bit of interest from premiership clubs. Only 23. Sounds promising.

They're supposedly trying to rush through the medical and paperwork before tonights champions league registration deadline.

A view from a Coventry fan

Danny Fox will be a Celtic fan favorite!
    Celtic
    by skybluejaydean (U13787790) 23 July 2009

Alright lads, well what can i say?

GUTTED!

You lads up in Scotland, are about to land yourself a right good player in Danny Fox. You really need to see him play to understand just how good hes gonna be. Im so so gutted he's leaving us. People made a big deal when we lost Scott Dann to birmingham for 3.5m but thats nothing compared to Fox going. Im lost for words. He was voted best left back of the Championship last season and is only going to get better and better. He was always going to move on, just was hoping we'd keep him one or two more seasons. His crossing is brilliant, his pace is good, the way he actually wants to play football instead of always putting a boot through the ball is refreshing to watch. Oh and his freekicks? Bend it like Beckham? more like Bend it like Fox!... smashed one in from 40yrds last season! Not joking,

He truely truely will be missed here at the Ricoh. We've now sold 6 players and brought nobody in. Bad times.

Anyways, you look after our Danny Fox. Im sure he's gonna be an instant hit up there. You've now got your left back spot well and truely sorted!

From tomorrow morning's Times:
    After a frantic day of activity, Mowbray last night completed the £1.5 million deal to make Danny Fox, 23, the Coventry City defender, his third signing for Celtic, in time for player to be eligible to face Dynamo Moscow in next week’s Champions League third qualifying round, first leg in Glasgow. Fox will make his debut against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday in the Wembley Cup.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article6725570.ece

Yippee. He sounds promising.

FFS!! :mad:

celtic park is the only place to see dinamo game

Newsroom Staff
    THE only place to see Celtic’s vital UEFA Champions League qualifying match against Dinamo Moscow on Wednesday, July 29 will be at Celtic Park.

The tie – Tony Mowbray’s first competitive match in charge of the club – is not being shown on television.

And the Celtic manager is hoping that a full house at Celtic Park will give his team the extra boost they need against Dinamo Moscow.

“The support we’ve received so far in pre-season has been fantastic,” the Hoops boss said. “The Celtic supporters have been everything I knew they were. The passion is still very evident.

“We have a hard game on Wednesday and I’m hoping the atmosphere of Celtic Park, and the fact our players have experienced it before, will take us through and allow us to produce a good performance to give us a chance to progress.

“It’s my first match at Celtic Park as manager but I don’t want to build it up as a special moment for just me. It’s another game in the glorious history of Celtic Football Club and it’s a challenge for us.

“I’m the guy who picks the team, but it’s all about the players and supporters. Hopefully, we can go there, get a good result and keep the positivity going in the right direction.”

FFS I assumed it would be on BBC Scotland at least, can you still use the excuse that you have to go to the pub to watch the match on Aertel? :P

• Advertisement

FFS I assumed it would be on BBC Scotland at least, can you still use the excuse that you have to go to the pub to watch the match on Aertel? :P

LOL those were the days the wife just used to give me the look when I said that :D

haha :pac:. You can try!

I reckon Russian TV are bound to be showing it, it'll therefore be streamed on www.iraqgoals.net. Picture quality will be poor but what can you do?:confused:

its unfair on fans outside the greater glasgow area.

i doubt rte will pick it up either, especially when they wouldn't show the bohs match!!

Raging :mad:

Any chance they may even let Setanta Ireland show it? I can't miss a match of this importance and haven't got a penny to get over to watch it. When was the last time anyone missed a Celtic CL match? I can't remember missing any. :(

Any chance they may even let Setanta Ireland show it? I can't miss a match of this importance and haven't got a penny to get over to watch it. When was the last time anyone missed a Celtic CL match? I can't remember missing any. :(

Think I might have missed a few :p

I don't think Barnes would have lasted at Celtic either way but interesting stats.

What if... Henrik Larsson hadn't broken his leg, Lyon 1-0 Celtic, Uefa Cup, 21/10/1999

It's a good job Britain isn't a borderline racist country, or we'd be seriously moved to question why John Barnes didn't get an other management job for almost a decade after leaving Celtic. Yes, he ultimately a failure in Scotland, but being a failed British manager is surely the basis for inclusion rather than ostracism. And, unlike so many of his peers who ballsed up from start to increasingly inevitable, finish, Barnes was viciously unlucky when Henrik Larsson – the best player in Scotland, followed by a ridiculous amount of daylight – broke his leg in a Uefa Cup tie in Lyon. As Larsson's leg snapped grotesquely at 45 degrees, so Celtic's season did a 180. As the table below shows, their form with and without him was not so much hot and cold as volcanic and Antarctic.
    barneshenke.jpg

Celtic were not just winning with Larsson; they were dismantling teams with some gloriously aesthetic football. Indeed, five days before that Lyon match they had eviscerated Aberdeen 7-0 – and been berated by Barnes for their sloppy passing. (In one of the great forgotten hexes, Celtic beat Aberdeen 5-0, 7-0, 6-0 and 5-1 in their four league meetings that season.) It is easy to say that a side should not be so dependent on one player, and that's a valid point, but Larsson was so superior as to make that a simple fact of life. In six seasons between 1998 and his departure in 2004, Larsson was the league's top scorer in five; 1999-2000 was the exception that ruled against Barnes. In the following season, Martin O'Neill's first at the club, Larsson scored 53 goals as Celtic won a treble. Barnes might have let things unravel anyway; or, with Larsson fit and firing, he rather than O'Neill might have been the man who knocked Rangers off their perch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/jul/24/joy-of-six-football-what-ifs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement