Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Just got a text confirming Danny Fox has signed a four year deal, anyone any idea what the official fee was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Most of the media settling at £2m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I can't belive the Celtic match isn't on the telly hopefully Setanta grab the rights over here, ot Aberdeen v Celtic 15th August 12.30pm Sky Sports. Oh and Donati apparently played very well again today scoring aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Badabing wrote: »
    I can't belive the Celtic match isn't on the telly hopefully Setanta grab the rights over here, ot Aberdeen v Celtic 15th August 12.30pm Sky Sports. Oh and Donati apparently played very well again today scoring aswell!

yeah donati played well, Fortune was very impressive and McGeady was excellent, chasing everything dropping deep to pick up the ball and putting through some great final passes.

There seems to have been a major change in emphasis under Mogga the wingers and strikers are chasing and hassling much more which led to multiple dispossesions & donati's opener. Al Ahly are the African Champions league winners but they didnt look great yesterday.

Here's a link to the higlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_pmJCpBlE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

FFS!! :mad:

celtic park is the only place to see dinamo game

Newsroom Staff
    THE only place to see Celtic’s vital UEFA Champions League qualifying match against Dinamo Moscow on Wednesday, July 29 will be at Celtic Park.

The tie – Tony Mowbray’s first competitive match in charge of the club – is not being shown on television.

And the Celtic manager is hoping that a full house at Celtic Park will give his team the extra boost they need against Dinamo Moscow.

“The support we’ve received so far in pre-season has been fantastic,” the Hoops boss said. “The Celtic supporters have been everything I knew they were. The passion is still very evident.

“We have a hard game on Wednesday and I’m hoping the atmosphere of Celtic Park, and the fact our players have experienced it before, will take us through and allow us to produce a good performance to give us a chance to progress.

“It’s my first match at Celtic Park as manager but I don’t want to build it up as a special moment for just me. It’s another game in the glorious history of Celtic Football Club and it’s a challenge for us.

“I’m the guy who picks the team, but it’s all about the players and supporters. Hopefully, we can go there, get a good result and keep the positivity going in the right direction.”
    i'll be there anyway, looking forward to it. anyone else heading over??? am outta here on the aer lingus that morning if anyone up for a beer in the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

poindexter wrote: »
    i'll be there anyway, looking forward to it. anyone else heading over??? am outta here on the aer lingus that morning if anyone up for a beer in the airport

I am considering going but undecided, but just the train from Partick after work for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

I am considering going but undecided, but just the train from Partick after work for me :)
    :D
    supporters bus i go on usually goes up the great western rd to the games, so i'll miss ya.

Wednesday's match will be on the Celtic website thank god. Costs a fiver a month or something for C67.

Im intrested in peoples views on Stephen Mcmanus, a couple of years ago he was first class and deserved the role as leader and captain but last year be it tru injury and loss of form he has imo lost the centre back position to O'Dea and Loovens. I would give Scott Brown the captains armband for the season also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I'm assuming that Scot Brown wont be available tomorrow night, anyone able to confirm or deny??

• Advertisement

I'm assuming that Scot Brown wont be available tomorrow night, anyone able to confirm or deny??

He's back at full training might make the bench but should play in return leg. according to TM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Interesting to see how the start of the Mowbray era goes. Havent seen any of the pre season games only the goals, but the results look decent. We need to hit the ground running tomorrow night. Lets hope the bhoys have put the horrors of last season behind them!

Probably the most interesting season coming up now for McGeady.

Against Spurs Paddy McCourt was given a complete free role to roam where he wanted. He stuck mainly around the centre of the pitch. I think McGeady has been given this role too in his 2 friendly starts for Celtic but, as impressive as he's been, he hasn't really made full use of the freedom he's been given. He stayed out wide too much. After watching McCourt play with so much freedom hopefully he realises that he too is allowed to drift around and not to be afraid to break the structure.

Mowbray:

'I don't think great player is too strong a description for Aiden McGeady, having watched him in the first few weeks, because he is an exceptional talent.

'I've never seen quicker feet in a footballer than Aiden possesses and there is no point in me caging that up. I have to let him go and express himself on a football field.

'And I will structure my team around the fact. By having such quality, imagination and ability, you have to harness your team around it. You have to build your team around that quality. Let him go and win us games and create us chances, but make sure it doesn't weaken the team in the process.

'I experienced the English Premier League last year and had a group of players who at times held their own and at times found it difficult.

'But we felt the strength and power of the Rooneys, the Tevez, the Torres, the great players. I just think Aiden McGeady, one on one against just about anybody, is capable of causing them a problem.

'You have got to get him in the right areas of the pitch to do that, you have got to give him confidence and belief, that he can go past people, jink inside people, come back, leave people on their backside.

'I know he can do that because I have seen it.

'As a club, we have to go out to win games, Aiden has to go and find the consistency of performance himself that you would not ask questions like that about him.

'It would then be a given that he could do it.

'As a club, we have to get him on to that platform I would suggest, and then he needs to go and do it.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I don't think great player is too strong a description for Aiden McGeady, having watched him in the first few weeks, because he is an exceptional talent.

'I've never seen quicker feet in a footballer than Aiden possesses and there is no point in me caging that up. I have to let him go and express himself on a football field.

'And I will structure my team around the fact. By having such quality, imagination and ability, you have to harness your team around it. You have to build your team around that quality. Let him go and win us games and create us chances, but make sure it doesn't weaken the team in the process

I really like the sounds Mowbray is making. He really gets how vitally important a talent like Aiden is to Celtic. How Strachan made Aiden a peripheral player in the Celtic setup over the last few years just beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Channel 67 online live stream is only available to viewers outside of UK and Ireland.. So its the rest of the world basically.
    We can lisen to teh match if we want.. woop dee fuc*in doo
    So there is no where for the Irish Celtic fans to see the Game tonight which is a fuc*in disgrace in my opinion.
    Surely Celtics champions League game at home, Tony Mowbry's first game in charge was attractive to some broadcaster, somewhere..
    For the love of god??
    Has anyone any suggestions.. have to be able see it somewhere... justin.tv maybe?

No tonights match is available on Channel 67 for everyone (UK, Ireland, and the rest)! But you have to pay £40 up straight for the year sub. I probably would but haven't got a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

As the competitive action kicks off tonite gentlemen, just wanted to wish the Celtic and Rangers fans all the best for the new season. Should be a very interesting season, two evenly matched teams I feel. I tipped Celtic last year for title, so this year it is Rangers turn (Mind you this could change after a few games into season!) I just feel Rangers could be a far better team than the media would have you believe. There is obviously much being made of their financial situation and lack of new players, but with Kevin Thomson back to full fitness this is like a new signing for them. Its hard to know what to expect of Celtic at this stage and for this reason I am tipping the Gers for the title but as I say this could change! Good luck to Celtic tonite, would be great for Scottish football to have the two Scottish teams make the CL proper. Its very important for the Uefa co-efficient to be strengthened in order to make it easier to qualify for future competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

whycliff wrote: »
    Channel 67 online live stream is only available to viewers outside of UK and Ireland.. So its the rest of the world basically.
    We can lisen to teh match if we want.. woop dee fuc*in doo
    So there is no where for the Irish Celtic fans to see the Game tonight which is a fuc*in disgrace in my opinion.
    Surely Celtics champions League game at home, Tony Mowbry's first game in charge was attractive to some broadcaster, somewhere..
    For the love of god??
    Has anyone any suggestions.. have to be able see it somewhere... justin.tv maybe?

not to worry lads, i have a site to watch the match. i just checked there and it is been shown, am i allowed to put the website up here or is that against the rules?

cmon the hoops, cant wait for this one

• Advertisement

Is it just me though or has Kevin Thomson turned into a superstar since his injury? Some Rangers fans saying he's twice the player Brown is at half the cost. He's a good player but not that good. I know how good Brown is and if Thomson is as good as some say then I don't know how Hibs were always so far off the top of the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

bmcgov86 wrote: »
    not to worry lads, i have a site to watch the match. i just checked there and it is been shown, am i allowed to put the website up here or is that against the rules?

cmon the hoops, cant wait for this one

Any chance of a pm?? I doubt you can post it here

bmcgov86 there's nothing against posting links to streams so fire away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

www.atdhe.net is the link for the game. i've been using this site for quite a while now and its never let me down. i have the laptop connected up to the tele with the HDMI cable ready to go:D

so any predictions? to be honest i wouldnt be happy if we only win by one, 2 would be okay. id love if we just go at them and come away with a 3 nil perhaps.
    interesting to see who starts too, o'dea or loovens?
    not long to go now, getting excited!!

I'm very confident of a win. Celtic will dominate the possession, Dinamo will sit back. Mowbray said they're well organised but in the match I watched the commited foul upon foul and couldn't deal with crosses. I'd fancy us to break them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Is it just me though or has Kevin Thomson turned into a superstar since his injury? Some Rangers fans saying he's twice the player Brown is at half the cost. He's a good player but not that good. I know how good Brown is and if Thomson is as good as some say then I don't know how Hibs were always so far off the top of the SPL.

Thomson never had the same level of potential or talent as Brown, and was not hugely missed from the Hibs team when he left, and was easily replaced. Was quite happy to take 2 Million for him all the same. Probably would have settled for less in fairness.

This is showing the pre-match from Channel 67 so almost certainly will be showing it:

http://www.justin.tv/sixty67

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Think Celtic can get a 2-0 win.

have to avoid away goals going back to Russia.

If you have Sopcast it's on channel 10053. Thank god for that I can watch it on the telly. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

If you have Sopcast it's on channel 10053. Thank god for that I can watch it on the telly. :D

Quality sir, life saver.

• Advertisement

0-1 already.

Disaster.

very soft goal there. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Samaras and Killen on for McDonald and Fortune. Good call I think, neither looked on top form.

2 great chances for killeen there. Time ticking on now

Maloney balloons a good chance, that was poor.

Followed by a worse miss from Samaras, not our night.

Unlikely to progress now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

couldnt agree more!:P

Bad result for Mowbray made worse by a poor performance, not quite an Artmedia II but still Celtic really should have beaten Moscow by a couple at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

very disappointing, we had the chances especially in the first half. Fortune looked nervous early on, he reminded me of Robbie Keane last year when he was desperate to get his first goal for Liverpool.

Their fitness was evident from an early stage, we tired in the closing 15 minutes. McGeady looked out on his feet in the closing minutes.

I was screaming for him to bring on flood instead of fox, willo's got the ability to open up the game plus he runs around putting tackles in so i didnt really agree with that move.

We're still there with a fighting chance though.

Keep the faith!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Meh, didn't expect much tonight. Hopefully we will still qualify for the Europa Cup. We'd be very unlikely to make it through the next CL qualification tie anyway even if we did overcome Moscow, and I think most Celtic fans know that.

While we could do with the CL money, I'd be happy enough to have a decent spell in the Europa Cup.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Charco wrote: »
    Bad result for Mowbray made worse by a poor performance, not quite an Artmedia II but still Celtic really should have beaten Moscow by a couple at home.

Oh and you might be speaking a bit too soon on that front. We beat Artmedia 4-0 at home. It definitely has the potential to be Artmedia II! ;)

Other than 2 or 3 passes that went astray N'Guemo was impressive tonight. He's a top class tackler. But Donati flopped again. He simply can't play when the opposition pressurise. Brown will replace him for the 2nd leg if fit enough.

Celtic really should have scored. Fortune and Samaras had easy chances. I thought the high ball was perfect for a Maloney special but he fluffed it. But I suppose Dinamo set out to play on the counter as they always do and I can't argue with 0-1.

I pointed the goalscorer out, the number 99, last week when I watched Dinamo. Also said they were very aggressive off the ball and sat back. But still fancied us to beat them by a 1 or 2. A real downer now. It'll seriously help Celtic hit the ground running in the SPL but the CL is where it's at.

Looks like Europa league which is what we all predicted anyway but it would have been nice to get through this round of the CL at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think we will win 1-0 at their gaff and it will go to penalties..and then who knows?

HAIL HAIL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

0-1 isn't a disaster, it means they will have to go and give it a real go in Russia and we'll see if Mowbry can work some magic with the team

It certainly wasn't a disasterous result, I reckon Celtic are still quite capable of winning the game in Moscow. Lets not forget that having the away leg second did Rangers the world of good 2 years ago in the UEFA cup, they only won one game at home yet got all the way to the final. I won't give up hope yet...

It certainly wasn't a disasterous result, I reckon Celtic are still quite capable of winning the game in Moscow. Lets not forget that having the away leg second did Rangers the world of good 2 years ago in the UEFA cup, they only won one game at home yet got all the way to the final. I won't give up hope yet...

It was a disasterous result. Take off the goggles.

Celtic's strength in Europe has always been at Parkhead.

When was last time they have won away in the Champions League.

It was a disasterous result. Take off the goggles.

Celtic's strength in Europe has always been at Parkhead.

When was last time they have won away in the Champions League.

Alright, over the last few years they have been abysmal away from home in Europe (especially under Strachan who always seemed confused about what tactics to use away in Europe) but it hasn't always been like that, remember the run to the Uefa cup final when they beat Blackburn, Liverpool and Boavista away? Now I know that is going back a few years but it doesn't mean that just because of some poor performances recently they are automatically out of the tie.

Celtic were unlucky to draw with Spartak Moscow 2 years ago in the away leg (and I reckon if they needed to win that game they could have but were happy enough with the 1-1 to take to Celtic Park) and Spartak were a better side than Dinamo were tonight.

Bad runs always come to an end sometime and Dinamo Moscow are very beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Alright, over the last few years they have been abysmal away from home in Europe (especially under Strachan who always seemed confused about what tactics to use away in Europe) but it hasn't always been like that, remember the run to the Uefa cup final when they beat Blackburn, Liverpool and Boavista away? Now I know that is going back a few years but it doesn't mean that just because of some poor performances recently they are automatically out of the tie.

Celtic were unlucky to draw with Spartak Moscow 2 years ago in the away leg (and I reckon if they needed to win that game they could have but were happy enough with the 1-1 to take to Celtic Park) and Spartak were a better side than Dinamo were tonight.

Bad runs always come to an end sometime and Dinamo Moscow are very beatable.

You are right Charco, you have got to remain positive. If players and fans dont believe they can get a result its unlikely they will. Celtic have an appalling away record in Europe to be frank, I read in paper this morning coming in on dart that they havent won away since 2004 I think in a qualifier. They must remain positive, with extra game Sat, get fitness up another notch and who knows. Now is not the time for doom and gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Was at the game last night , and i havent seen the crowd react so badly to losing a game in a long time. We were very poor and i felt that we rely so much on Shaunie and Aidan. I was devastated last night , thinking that the last team to beat us a home in Europe was Barca.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement