Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic v Livingstone in Cis cup, 23rd-24th september Celtic park, Rangers got Partick away.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

I really hope we can get a good result away from home in the champions league. It will really lift the team. We need it after yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Its not LoI fans, its a couple of Shels fans trying to get a reaction.

Bear in mind I was told by a mod that he 'didn't give a crap' that the famine song was considered racist by the authorities when I reported its use on here, unfortunatly these confused 'Rangers fans' are some form of protected species.

I blame Bebo.

True that, I believe Pats fans pretty much joined in ynwa etc after the pats celtic euro game a couple of years ago, same would happen with most in Dalymount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

bohsman wrote: »
    True that, I believe Pats fans pretty much joined in ynwa etc after the pats celtic euro game a couple of years ago, same would happen with most in Dalymount.

Despite what a few mad teenagers on here would have you believe, 99.99% of Irish folk would much rather see Celtic win than the other crowd. Not that they would be fans, they just have a basic understanding of what Rangers stand for and don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what do Rangers stand for?

A peculiar strand of Britishness manifested through anti-Irishness and anti-Catholicism and often extreme right wing political activity on and off the terraces.

This most noticably was shown to the world in Rangers policy of not employing any Catholics on the pitch or within the club.

wasn't Amoruso Catholic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Institutionalised sectarianism and racism. Here's some examples from the recent past:

Shota Arveladze was a Georgian Orthodox that was booed at a Linfield v Rangers game in Windsor Park for "blessing himself" coming onto the pitch. Reference is made to the incident here - http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?ti ... 1263062006

Here's a quote from another ex-player

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/?page_id=8982

Check out the quote from Mikel Arteta...

Mikel: I am catholic. But I have always been catholic. The people at Rangers didn't really like it, so I had to be respectful.

From Wayne Rooney's book:

"We went to Ibrox to play Glasgow Rangers in a pre-season friendly and I got a very 'warm' reception from the home fans. Getting off the bus my crucifix had fallen outside my top and was on full display. They booed me from the start."

Marco Negri scored about 30 goals by Christmas for them one year and was told not to bless himself again so he didn't and he stopped playing for them as a result.

In Amoruso's ramblings in his biography, he relates how when he joined the club the then manager, Walter Smith, and unnamed others advised the player not to bless himself when running onto the pitch as was his custom as this might inflame the support:

"When I first came here, several people, including Walter, advised me not to cross myself as I ran on to the pitch because it would antagonise the Rangers fans. I thought that was ridiculous but I was in a strange land so I complied."

Add others like Basil Boli, Sebastian Rosenthal, Kanchelskis, Albertz... the list goes on...

Scotland on Sunday - The following appeared in said newspaper...

In an extraordinary outburst on the Old Firm’s continuing problems with bigoted fans, Fernando Ricksen said: "If you’re Catholic and you play for Rangers, then you are a Protestant.

"If you play for the Protestant people, you don’t play for the Catholic people."

Ricksen added: "If you can’t handle that, if you’re really a Catholic and you feel too much about it, you don’t come to Rangers. You stay away.

"You’d better go to the other side [Celtic] or there will be a lot of problems for you."

The player’s comments suggest that Rangers have failed to throw off their reputation for being anti-Catholic, despite ditching their policy of not signing Catholic players 13 years ago.

In 1989, Rangers signed Maurice Johnston, and since then have taken on a number of Catholic players. Lorenzo Amoruso, a current player, was made the first Catholic to captain Rangers in 1999.

Politicians and Church figures last night insisted that the comments of Ricksen - a Protestant - demonstrated that more effort had to be put into combating sectarianism.

Liberal Democrat MSP Donald Gorrie said it reinforced the need for the law to be amended, so crimes motivated by sectarianism attracted greater penalties.

He said: "Ricksen is clearly showing we have not made enough progress in tackling this issue."

A spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland said: "The brave words of Fernando Ricksen are a sad indictment of our society. It is deplorable, indeed shameful that Glasgow is perhaps the only city in Europe in which a professional footballer is required to deny his faith in order to achieve sporting success."

Wasn't Celtic goalkeeper, Artur Boruc, even questioned by the police for blessing himself before a game, there were many complaints by Rangers fans that he provoked them by blessing himself.

There are many many more too...

wasn't Amoruso Catholic?

I believe he was, the offical ban on Catholics went under Souness in the late 80's, and fair play to him for demanding that. Rumour has it Fergie turned down the Rangers job while at Aberdeen because he would be bound by it.

Amoruso was, however, ordered not to bless himself when he ran on the pitch.

is it fair to blanket ALL Rangers fans this way?

• Advertisement

I believe he was, the offical ban on Catholics went under Souness, and fair play to him for demanding that. Rumour has it Fergie turned down the Rangers job while at Aberdeen because he would be bound by it.

Amoruso was, however, ordered not to bless himself when he ran on the pitch.

Apparently the ban went as UEFA were going to ban them from European competition at the time.

Direct quote in post above yours. It was their current manager that dictated that too.

Who is?

A peculiar strand of Britishness manifested through anti-Irishness and anti-Catholicism and often extreme right wing political activity on and off the terraces.

This most noticably was shown to the world in Rangers policy of not employing any Catholics on the pitch or within the club.

I asked what Rangers stood for.

I asked what Rangers stood for.

And I gave my opinion of what the club stands for.

I never mentioned fans.

Debatable, you see that **** going on around you - especially pre the ban being lifted and you're still happy enough to listen to racist chants on the terraces, you're not completely innocent. Thats not only Rangers, any club with wholescale racist tendancies zenit st petersburg etc

And I gave my opinion of what the club stands for.

I never mentioned fans.

ah, my mistake. Are the two not mutually exclusive, though?

Debatable, you see that **** going on around you - especially pre the ban being lifted and you're still happy enough to listen to racist chants on the terraces, you're not completely innocent. Thats not only Rangers, any club with wholescale racist tendancies zenit st petersburg etc

Interestingly when I lived in Rome I knew a number of Lazio fans who refused to go to the stadium because they didn't approve of the direction the terraces had taken.

ah, my mistake. Are the two not mutually exclusive, though?

I think Bohsman summed it up. I would think a lot of their fans are at some level complicit, but I would never dream of tagging all bluenoses racist, sectarian etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Stekelly wrote: »
    :D

Yeah , if you say so. Just make sure to to fight the good fight against the evil oppressive reign of Rangers.

Your so incredibly blinkered and singe-minded it's not even funny.

The thing about Celtic is that its a very very small majority at the games.
    In all the times I've been to Park head(8) I have never heard a racist or sectarian song bar maybe 1 or 2 people. And Celtic fans just tell them to shut up.
    Now Rangers on the other hand are not a small majority. How many times when you're watching the matches can you hear the rangers fans singing songs like 'famine is over', '***' and 'he knew'. It's not a small minority, it's a vast majority. Pure and utter vile.
    I sympathise with fans like Eirebear as these verman give his club a bad name.

BTW anyone see the banner rangers had with the ambulance. PURE SCUM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

If people (not just bohsman) are going to drag this sad topic back to the 80's, they should, in fairness, also mention some of the vermin-like behaviour of some hoops followers at that time (and since, on occasion)

"We've got Hood, we've got Hay, we've got the Pope & the IRA"
    " " " " " " . f*ck the Queen & the UDA"

that charming little ditty about the "66 orange b*stards died on staircase 13"

scumbags wearing Celtic tops with the number 71 on the back

and so on & so on.

There's no excuse, and no moral high ground, on either side.

It might be worth remembering though, that a lot of fans on either side will pour out bile on the day of the match, then go to work on Monday with their mates who happen to support the other side.

big b wrote: »
    If people (not just bohsman) are going to drag this sad topic back to the 80's, they should, in fairness, also mention some of the vermin-like behaviour of some hoops followers at that time (and since, on occasion)

"We've got Hood, we've got Hay, we've got the Pope & the IRA"
    " " " " " " . f*ck the Queen & the UDA"

that charming little ditty about the "66 orange b*stards died on staircase 13"

scumbags wearing Celtic tops with the number 71 on the back

and so on & so on.

There's no excuse, and no moral high ground, on either side.

It might be worth remembering though, that a lot of fans on either side will pour out bile on the day of the match, then go to work on Monday with their mates who happen to support the other side.

Who is talking about the 80's though? They were at it yesterday. Last season saw Nazi salutes in Tel Aviv and widespread rioting in Manchester.

This 'old firm' moral equivalence is boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Who is talking about the 80's though? They were at it yesterday. Last season saw Nazi salutes in Tel Aviv and widespread rioting in Manchester.

This 'old firm' moral equivalence is boring.

facts often are.

Celtic supporters have cleaned up their act a lot, and highly commendable it is too.
    But you're deluding yourself if you think they're beyond reproach.

facts often are.

Celtic supporters have cleaned up their act a lot, and highly commendable it is too.

who said they are beyond reproach? most certainly not me.

But this idea that both Glasgow sides 'are as bad as each other' is fundamentally incorrect.

Celtic's songbook, for right or wrong, is radically different to what it was 20 years ago, and it was an internal Celtic decision. It took UEFA threats of stadium bans for Rangers to even acknowledge theirs was a problem.

Whats the Celtic equivalent of the Famine Song or the Billy Boys?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

facts often are.

In fairness, he never said they were.

I think the point he is making is that he feels Rangers have a problem with sectarianism in the very heart of their institution, not just with their fans, visible through their previous signing policy. Fan behaviour is much harder to contain and control, but the ethos of a football club should be everything that Rangers were not.

A lot of Rangers fans have not embraced the fact that Rangers the institution have dropped the sectarian signing policy, hence all the fuss about people blessing themselves still going on.

Look at the banners on show at the weekend. While I don't really care anymore what Rangers fans sing or hold up in the air, anyone with a bit of cop on can see the difference in style between the two sets of banners. On one side we have the "Let's have a look at what you could have won" type stuff and the passports etc. - all in good spirits. On the other side we have ambulance chasers and fenian blood. Seriously, if any Shels/EL/whatever fans can't see why genuine Celtic supporters get wound up with Rangers bandwagon jumpers, just open your eyes and take a look at the fans.

Personally, I've gone beyond giving a **** about Rangers or their fans. There's just too much to get upset over that the best thing is to let it fly by. I'm more pissed off about the likes of Boruc letting it get to him, although I can sympathise with the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Looks like derek riordan is on his way, no stories about Donati or Bobo thouigh, I thought Strachan had finished with them.

Would love to see a right back. Paulo ferreira is meeting west Ham, he would fit the bill nicely, if the celts would pay his wages.

• Advertisement

Looks like derek riordan is on his way, no stories about Donati or Bobo thouigh, I thought Strachan had finished with them.

Would love to see a right back. Paulo ferreira is meeting west Ham, he would fit the bill nicely, if the celts would pay his wages.

A right back we have 4 as it is:)

sorry, meant left back, ferreira played there for portugal in the euro's.

To replace Hinkel, who has just been called up to the German squad? :confused:

Left back needed and needed by midnight.

yep, agreed, Wilsons pace is brutal, and naylor just does not inspire confidence. surely Strachan can see this???

When will o dea get a real chance too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It is now well overdue that a LB is needed but it looks like nothing will happen

• Advertisement

When will o dea get a real chance too?

I'd say O'Dea will move on now. Strachan has treated him terribly.

Like Shay Given, we'll regret letting O'Dea go, he looks like he has a big future in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

That was a disaster of an old firm. We are faced with the same problems that we we have been faced with for the last few years and haven't really improved upon, ie a dodgy defence. Strachan hasn't really learned his lesson imo. We needed to strenghten up at the back and we have really failed to do so in any meaningful way, and it was cruelly shown up. A 4-2 defeat at home is something of a humiliation, and that scoreline could have been even worse which is shocking to think.

Not sure if i have any great confidence of retaining our title after that show, granted its early, and theres plenty of games left to turn it around but it doesn't bode well unless we can sort out the old frailities at the back. A black day for the hoops. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Pretty poor transfer window IMO. I think the lack of activity around the left-back position in particular has left us very vulnerable.

Rangers have made some good signings since being dumped out of Europe, so it is possible to sign quality players that will play in the SPL and that are affordable. Mendes is a good example.

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but can Caddis play left-back? :(

Anyone willing to predict how we'll do in the CL? I think we'll be doing good to get 3rd spot. Can't see us doing anything this season against Utd., and Villareal will be very tough also. Unless we can get 6 points off Aalborg (away win lol) then it's 3rd place we'll have to aim for IMO.

For us to snatch 2nd spot, we'll need Boruc to get his head sorted, and for some of the newer players like Crosas and Loovens to really shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I think if Celtic wins both games against Aalborg theres a chance to fight for 2nd place with Villareal,if not...than hardly...i still believe if Celtic was 2nd last year in group way stronger than this one,they can do same this year with a bit of luck

I think if Celtic wins both games against Aalborg theres a chance to fight for 2nd place with Villareal,if not...than hardly...i still believe if Celtic was 2nd last year in group way stronger than this one,they can do same this year with a bit of luck

I'm not so sure last season's group was stronger. The 4th pot team was stronger for sure - Shakhtar were very good in general and were unlucky it could be said not to qualify. They beat Celtic 2-0 I think it was at home, and scored in Parkhead. But I'm concerned that Villareal will be a real fight, and I'd worry that we'll struggle to get 3 points from them in both legs. They're a step up from Benfica that's for sure.

6 points from Aalborg will have me delighted, but that's a big ask with Celtic's away form. Remember Copenhagen? Comfortably beat us at home, and they're probably Aalborgs nearest comparison in terms of skill level.

I just can't see a single point against Utd this time around, especially if Boruc doesn't get himself together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

PauloMN wrote: »
    I'm not so sure last season's group was stronger. The 4th pot team was stronger for sure - Shakhtar were very good in general and were unlucky it could be said not to qualify. They beat Celtic 2-0 I think it was at home, and scored in Parkhead. But I'm concerned that Villareal will be a real fight, and I'd worry that we'll struggle to get 3 points from them in both legs. They're a step up from Benfica that's for sure.

6 points from Aalborg will have me delighted, but that's a big ask with Celtic's away form. Remember Copenhagen? Comfortably beat us at home, and they're probably Aalborgs nearest comparison in terms of skill level.

I just can't see a single point against Utd this time around, especially if Boruc doesn't get himself together.

I'd agree with this. Man Utd will be a very different prospect to Milan, and it'll be much harder, yet not impossible given Celtic's European home form, but I'd still bank on a home draw being the best result Celtic will get against United, which will weaken the position they had last season from the home win against Milan. Villareal will also drop alot less points than Benfica also I'd imagine. Celtic will need to hope that Villareal aren't going to be taking too many points off United, because I definitely wouldn't bet against them doing it in Spain, and if that does happen, it might make things messy for Celtic indeed.

Neil Lennon and Packie Bonner are confirmed as playing in Kevin Hunts testimonial for an International XI next month in Dalymount. http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/september-2008/news-3/index.xml

Neil Lennon and Packie Bonner are confirmed as playing in Kevin Hunts testimonial for an International XI next month in Dalymount. http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/news-1/september-2008/news-3/index.xml

Whats the latest on his kid?

Best of luck with this game, not a chance in hell I will attend, but a decent gesture.

Apparently its something the kids will grow out of, not too sure of the specifics.
    Another reason for you to go to the game -
    Legendary former Rovers manager Roddy Collins will manage the Bohs XI leaving Fenlon and Hunt to run the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

When are the away tkts for the Utd game allocated? Looking at prices for flights and theyre already about 200euro

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »

I still think it was,last year Benfica and Shakhtar were teams against you couldnt count on points for sure,now you have Aalborg where we all can say easier yes we can get 6 points out of there.If Celtic cant win them in that 1st game they have nothing to do in CL tbh

Villareal is good but i dont think they are so high class that Celtic should be scared of them so much.Celtic should be happy to get draw in away game,which is possible isnt it,and to try to win it home but again,draw would be enough i think.

With United tbh also depend,i think on OT it will be very hard not to lose but at home is everything possible,i think its well known that theres no team celtic cant beat on his stadium;)

I am optimistic about reaching that 2nd place in the group,but if not i think 3rd place is sure and than maybe to try to make something bigger in Uefa cup;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Strachan will stay until end of season, then we get David Moyes hopefully.

Badabing wrote: »
    Strachan will stay until end of season, then we get David Moyes hopefully.

Who says that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can they not just have a party when they win no?

24zkeb9.jpg

Ah same thing happening on Partizan-Red Star games,disgusting....i dont get why people think they will make other side angry or make them some big damage with breaking chairs....

Get the Domestos out and flood the away section. Dirty bastards. I presume Rangers FC will foot the bill for the broken seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

**** me the hatred in this thread is unbelievable.

If anyone fancies talking about football then give me a shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In fairness, from reports, that was the worst the Rangers fans have been at Celtic park in a long time.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    **** me the hatred in this thread is unbelievable.

If anyone fancies talking about football then give me a shout!

That mob who showed up at Celtic Park were no more interested in football.

Ambulance chasers, BJK, and child abuse, just to bring their depravity to new depths. Even for huns, I'm pretty shocked at just how low they managed to get. Before the seats came out. When they won. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement