Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Im not gonna get drawn into this guys.

I know as well as you do the problems within the Rangers support, i would never try to deny it.
    I also know that the moronic behaviour in Manchester has set the wider perception of our fans back decades.

But certain parts of this thread make it seem that some of the posters care more about that than they do their own club, there is very little talk about Celtic over the past dozen pages and i find that dissapointing from this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Eirebear wrote: »

But certain parts of this thread make it seem that some of the posters care more about that than they do their own club, there is very little talk about Celtic over the past dozen pages and i find that dissapointing from this forum.

You are on the Celtic thread the week after a more vicious than normal derby.

What were you expecting, a hug?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Is anyone else under the impression that the Board is happy enough if we win the league and just get the group stages of the Champions league? Seems to me they dont want to invest to try and better the European achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Im not gonna get drawn into this guys.

I know as well as you do the problems within the Rangers support, i would never try to deny it.
    I also know that the moronic behaviour in Manchester has set the wider perception of our fans back decades.

I am booked in for the Ibrox game in December but am seriously reconsidering going following the pure hatred from the Gers "fans" on Sunday - as long as I have been travelling over I have never ********ed it at such a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

MREGAN wrote: »
    Is anyone else under the impression that the Board is happy enough if we win the league and just get the group stages of the Champions league? Seems to me they dont want to invest to try and better the European achievements.

Without a doubt, Rangers spent £18 million odd i think compared to Celtics £5 mil, i think there happy that we're doing good and thats it. Not enough ambition.

The team looked tired and out of ideas last weekend. We'll have to wait and see how they respond.

• Advertisement

You are on the Celtic thread the week after a more vicious than normal derby.

What were you expecting, a hug?

Dont be daft ONYD, i expected the usual slagging and banter. Not 12-15 pages of hatred, propoganda and whining about how evil the Rangers are.

I dont think the game was particularly nasty in all honesty. On or off the park.
    Celtic67 wrote: »
    I am booked in for the Ibrox game in December but am seriously reconsidering going following the pure hatred from the Gers "fans" on Sunday - as long as I have been travelling over I have never ********ed it at such a level.

Im prety sure you will end up going, but hey, its an effective way of making your point none the less.

Its an Old Firm game FFS! There has always and will always be "hatred" in the stands from both sides.
    It doesnt mean however that 90% of both sets of fans will then go on to meet their respective mates and family who support the other team and have a drink and chat about it.

Some people need to get out of their respective Rangers/Celtic drinking dens when they travel across to the game and see that life actually doesnt stop in Glasgow for an OF game.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Without a doubt, Rangers spent £18 million odd i think compared to Celtics £5 mil, i think there happy that we're doing good and thats it. Not enough ambition.

The team looked tired and out of ideas last weekend. We'll have to wait and see how they respond.

I dont think its comparable in all honesty MOG, Rangers had no choice but to spend money after the sale of Cuellar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This lad is available on a free at the moment, simply can't believe Celtic arent making an effort to get him. BADLY needed for a piss poor midfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71qnXOQXjbM&feature=related

I dont think its comparable in all honesty MOG, Rangers had no choice but to spend money after the sale of Cuellar.

Ye ye i know Rangers had no choice ok, but Celtic spending only 5 odd is, ok well not suprising because its all we ever spend. Where does the supporters money go?

Sizzler wrote: »
    This lad is available on a free at the moment, simply can't believe Celtic arent making an effort to get him. BADLY needed for a piss poor midfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71qnXOQXjbM&feature=related

iirc we were after him last summer, i thought i heard we signed him last summer only to be dissapointed.

• Advertisement

Ye ye i know Rangers had no choice ok, but Celtic spending only 5 odd is, ok well not suprising because its all we ever spend. Where does the supporters money go?

Celtic's wage bill is (or at least was) much higher than that of Rangers, i know that much?
    Other than that i dont know TBH.

But well never be able to compete with the ludicrous money in the EPL so i suppose we just have to put up with what weve got.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not only did Rangers sell Cuellar, but they sold Hutton too. Those two combined is pretty close to the amount they spent on transfers.

Now I'm not suggesting that the Celtic board couldn't have done better - I'm most pissed off about the fact that we've no new left-back this season until at least January now. Aside from Naylor being poor last season, we need injury cover there and Wilson doesn't seem comfortable to me at left-back. He was caught out a few times against Rangers. I hope we can resolve that position in January. It's like a sore thumb at this stage now.

As for Sunday, I was utterly dismayed at the 2nd half, but as much as I don't like Strachan's standard excuses, I think he was right in his interview. The first half was 50-50, we played quite well I thought. Boruc should have done much better for the first goal, then again so too should have Wilson. I think Boruc on a good day would have had us going in one up at half time.

The second half was poor and again Wilson and Boruc in particular have to take responsibility to a large degree. Wilson was poor for Miller's first goal, he was all over the place. The Mendes goal was unstoppable though, nobody expected that and it was a great goal. The spill was just awful to watch, but these things happen - just at the worst moments for Artur. ;) (I still remember that Hibs away game like it was yesterday).

I thought Rangers pulled out some great single performances also which caused us problems. Davis did very well for Rangers, he controlled McGeady for the most part and we weren't able to create much from him. Mendes also was excellent even goal aside and I think he'll prove to be the best buy of the window for them.

Anyway onwards and upwards. I think the boys will look to avenge this defeat rather than let it get them down. Celtic can get the points when needed, look at the last 7 games of last season when we were all but written out of the title race. Once we have McDonald back fit and in form, hopefully we can pick up some point against them next time in Ibrox. We're due a big win there soon. :D

And we need to look at having Brown on the bench for a while. He's just not cutting it as far as I'm concerned. Robson in there please Gordon.

The Mendes goal was unstoppable though, nobody expected that and it was a great goal.

As was said somewhere else if anyone watched mendes in the EPL to give him that much space was the cause of the goal. I wouldnt call it unstoppable just badly defended. The actual strike was top class to be fair to him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

As was said somewhere else if anyone watched mendes in the EPL to give him that much space was the cause of the goal. I wouldnt call it unstoppable just badly defended. The actual strike was top class to be fair to him.

Yes, nobody was watching him, but fair play to Davis spotting him there. It was a great strike.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vTphGKd96d0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Who says that?

Just a hunch i have, no mater what happens this will be his last at the club i reckon.

Badabing wrote: »
    Just a hunch i have, no mater what happens this will be his last at the club i reckon.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. He's spoken about what he thinks of Glasgow enough times.... can't see him there another season. Was quite surprised he's there this season tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Badabing wrote: »

I hope so,i would like to see Moyes too

Dont be daft ONYD, i expected the usual slagging and banter. Not 12-15 pages of hatred, propoganda and whining about how evil the Rangers are.

I dont think the game was particularly nasty in all honesty. On or off the park.

Im prety sure you will end up going, but hey, its an effective way of making your point none the less.

Its an Old Firm game FFS! There has always and will always be "hatred" in the stands from both sides.
    It doesnt mean however that 90% of both sets of fans will then go on to meet their respective mates and family who support the other team and have a drink and chat about it.

Some people need to get out of their respective Rangers/Celtic drinking dens when they travel across to the game and see that life actually doesnt stop in Glasgow for an OF game.

That's a fair point mate. Me and my pal were drinking with a group of Gers fans from Dumfries in the city centre on the Sat night before the game - good lads and good banter. However Ive never been in Glasgow for an Ibrox game with the extra influx of Gers fans around the city so that combined with going to "castle greyskull" will be a different propisition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I would be quite happy to see Strachan go at the end of the season, and i've been a big supporter and defender of him many times. I just think that we haven't gone after the players we need. Really how much money would it cost to get a half decent full back? The money issue shouldn't be that prohibitive. Celtic at the moment are not a progressive club! If a club doesn't strenghten to improve it invariably ends up going backwards and looses any ground that it may have gained previously.

I have to admit i'm fairly pessimistic about this season. We are much too weak at the back, this will be exploited in Europe and by the better teams in the SPL.

I would be quite happy to see Strachan go at the end of the season, and i've been a big supporter and defender of him many times. I just think that we haven't gone after the players we need. Really how much money would it cost to get a half decent full back? The money issue shouldn't be that prohibitive. Celtic at the moment are not a progressive club! If a club doesn't strenghten to improve it invariably ends up going backwards and looses any ground that it may have gained previously.

I have to admit i'm fairly pessimistic about this season. We are much too weak at the back, this will be exploited in Europe and by the better teams in the SPL.

The very fact that every Celtic fan everywhere is crying out in unison for Barry Robson, at best a journeyman SPL pro, to be in the side says a great deal.

Whisper was the board blocked the purchse of Rat on the basis he would not be needed this year.

• Advertisement

Celtic67 wrote: »
    That's a fair point mate. Me and my pal were drinking with a group of Gers fans from Dumfries in the city centre on the Sat night before the game - good lads and good banter. However Ive never been in Glasgow for an Ibrox game with the extra influx of Gers fans around the city so that combined with going to "castle greyskull" will be a different propisition.

TBH mate, as a Rangers fan i find Rangers fans in Glasgow more intimidating when we are playing at Parkhead.

The fact that the general day to day fans arent at the game, and get mixed up with the general scum who don their strips 4 times a year in the pubs is always a flash point. Drinking from 11 in the morning till whenever they fall out of the boozer is always a risky situation.

I would assume that its the same for Celtic fans when the game is at Ibrox as well.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Not only did Rangers sell Cuellar, but they sold Hutton too. Those two combined is pretty close to the amount they spent on transfers.

Now I'm not suggesting that the Celtic board couldn't have done better - I'm most pissed off about the fact that we've no new left-back this season until at least January now. Aside from Naylor being poor last season, we need injury cover there and Wilson doesn't seem comfortable to me at left-back. He was caught out a few times against Rangers. I hope we can resolve that position in January. It's like a sore thumb at this stage now.

As for Sunday, I was utterly dismayed at the 2nd half, but as much as I don't like Strachan's standard excuses, I think he was right in his interview. The first half was 50-50, we played quite well I thought. Boruc should have done much better for the first goal, then again so too should have Wilson. I think Boruc on a good day would have had us going in one up at half time.

The second half was poor and again Wilson and Boruc in particular have to take responsibility to a large degree. Wilson was poor for Miller's first goal, he was all over the place. The Mendes goal was unstoppable though, nobody expected that and it was a great goal. The spill was just awful to watch, but these things happen - just at the worst moments for Artur. ;) (I still remember that Hibs away game like it was yesterday).

I thought Rangers pulled out some great single performances also which caused us problems. Davis did very well for Rangers, he controlled McGeady for the most part and we weren't able to create much from him. Mendes also was excellent even goal aside and I think he'll prove to be the best buy of the window for them.

Anyway onwards and upwards. I think the boys will look to avenge this defeat rather than let it get them down. Celtic can get the points when needed, look at the last 7 games of last season when we were all but written out of the title race. Once we have McDonald back fit and in form, hopefully we can pick up some point against them next time in Ibrox. We're due a big win there soon. :D

And we need to look at having Brown on the bench for a while. He's just not cutting it as far as I'm concerned. Robson in there please Gordon.

As much as he was on the cheap and as much as I'd like to see him do well, buying McCourt is not going to solve much of our problems. A left-back has to be a priority, Naylor was poor last year defending & going forward. I had hoped they would opt for yer man Robinson at W Brom - while he is not spectatcular he is a no nonsense defender that would have suited us well. Also the partnership of McManus and Caldwell needs to be broken up. However I think opinion is divided as to which of the two should go.

Also I agree with the above - Robson needs to start.

Despite the poor start, I still think we will be celebrating as SPL champs come May.

The very fact that every Celtic fan everywhere is crying out in unison for Barry Robson, at best a journeyman SPL pro, to be in the side says a great deal.

Whisper was the board blocked the purchse of Rat on the basis he would not be needed this year.

In all honesty ONYD i was extremely surprised that Robson didnt play last weekend, he was the one who was the major difference in both OF games at Parkhead last season

In all honesty ONYD i was extremely surprised that Robson didnt play last weekend, he was the one who was the major difference in both OF games at Parkhead last season

Doubly surprising given Strachans propensity to play Scots regardless of ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Doubly surprising given Strachans propensity to play Scots regardless of ability.

Unless their name is Riordan! :D

In all fairness lads i think people are maybe geting a wee bit carried away here, its still only four games into the seas and there is a long long way to go.

Unless their name is Riordan! :D

In all fairness lads i think people are maybe geting a wee bit carried away here, its still only four games into the seas and there is a long long way to go.

I always like Riordan when he played for Hibs, thought he was a great player and thought he'd do the business for us.

But to be honest, I think he's only got himself to blame. Celtic is a step up from Hibs, it's harder to cement a starting spot, and once you do, you can't sit back and expect to be picked like he was at Hibs.

Deeks has a few problems from what I can see, and whether you agree or not with Strachan's beliefs on boozing and general nedism (like my new word :D ), he knew the score when he signed.

Terrible terrible shame, a great finisher is Riordan and at this stage he could have been looking at a move to the Premiership had he got the head down and got on with it.

Wait 'til you see - like Miller, Riordan will score in his first outing against us. Guaranteed. Actually, must get myself down to Paddy Power and stick a few quid down on that. :D

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Similar to Tommy G when he got that hattrick against Dunfermiline. Strachan laid into him.

What I hear is that if you don't do what you are told in training you are out, regardless of ability. Tommy G and Riordan, despite popular rumour it wasnt his social habits that did him, didn't and are out.

Bobo Balde is a right greedy b*****d Has been sitting on a massive wage doing nothing and still wants a pay off from Celtic. He should have gone long ago only his greed kept him here. He is starting to sicken me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Bobo Balde is a right greedy b*****d Has been sitting on a massive wage doing nothing and still wants a pay off from Celtic. He should have gone long ago only his greed kept him here. He is starting to sicken me.

Celtic gave him the contract. Is that contract only valid until Celtic decide he isn't worth it anymore? If it was a player who wanted to just null his contract and join Man Utd you'd be up in arms aswell. Contracts are between 2 parties and he has every right to have his honoured.

DSB wrote: »
    Celtic gave him the contract. Is that contract only valid until Celtic decide he isn't worth it anymore? If it was a player who wanted to just null his contract and join Man Utd you'd be up in arms aswell. Contracts are between 2 parties and he has every right to have his honoured.

Of course he has every right. But he's not getting played, he's been told he never will bar an emergency, and he (allegedly) had the option to go to another club on the same money and be pretty much guaranteed regular football.

Just like you're entitled to your opinion of Celtic, MREGAN is entitled to think Bobo is being a twat.

Of course he has every right. But he's not getting played, he's been told he never will bar an emergency, and he (allegedly) had the option to go to another club on the same money and be pretty much guaranteed regular football.

Just like you're entitled to your opinion of Celtic, MREGAN is entitled to think Bobo is being a twat.

Not so. No-one in their right minds is going to offer him 30k a week at 33 years old.

We were all delighted when Bobo signed an new contract. Strachan is chosing not to play his best defender on some sort of principal, and while I would prefer to see Bobo leave, calling him a twat for staying, ostensibally to fight for his place, is OTT.

Someone at Celtic gave a 30 year old a 4 year 30k a week deal to keep him there when some big fish were sniffing around him. Not his fault at all.

From a footballing point of view i agree, Balde is being a twat.

But then so was Mr O'Neil and anyone else who was involved in giving him that ludicrous contract really...

I seriously doubt the move to the other club was on the same money. Aside from the idea that he just wouldn't command the same kind of wage anymore, it just wouldn't make sense to refuse it. It must have involved a wage drop which he probably wasn't interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Still not a patch on Winston Bogarde.

• Advertisement

I understand your points in that a contract should be fullfilled but my point was he was offered a contract a year ago with a new club. He didnt take it cause it wasnt enough. Wasnt enough even tho he wasnt playing is that not greed then. I think he is greedy not to take a paycut. The fact he is now wanting more money for the remainder of his contract seems like a stalling tactic to stay on the same money.

A true footballer or thinking of the money? In my opinion a true footballer would take slightly less and move straight into a first team role. He isnt really lossing he's actually gaining in getting first team football. He isnt getting any younger and lack of football could weaken his ability.

I loved him when he was playing and thought apart from the odd mistake was a rock in defence but if its made clear you arent wanted would you not just leave.

I understand your points in that a contract should be fullfilled but my point was he was offered a contract a year ago with a new club. He didnt take it cause it wasnt enough. Wasnt enough even tho he wasnt playing is that not greed then. I think he is greedy not to take a paycut. The fact he is now wanting more money for the remainder of his contract seems like a stalling tactic to stay on the same money.

A true footballer or thinking of the money? In my opinion a true footballer would take slightly less and move straight into a first team role. He isnt really lossing he's actually gaining in getting first team football. He isnt getting any younger and lack of football could weaken his ability.

I loved him when he was playing and thought apart from the odd mistake was a rock in defence but if its made clear you arent wanted would you not just leave.

He isn't in the position of a young footballer though, where they'll take the paycut in the hope of going to a lower club and working their way back up. He is coming to the end of his career, and can be forgiven for a little bit of greed I suppose, because a move down isn't going to be a stepping stone to a move back up. The real villains are definitely the people who gave him the contract.

The real villains are definitely the people who gave him the contract.

Agree with you on that. For the money he was on is a joke. Yeah I wanted him to sign around that time but on that wage in scotland was a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Hes on 30k a week? Cant see anyone else offering him more than 10k a week, retirement looming thats a big paycut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Not so. No-one in their right minds is going to offer him 30k a week at 33 years old.
    He agreed a deal with Birmingham this summer. And I'm sure Celtic would be willing to pay him about £6k a week to make up any difference there is. I don't think he really cares too much about playing football any more tbh.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    He agreed a deal with Birmingham this summer. And I'm sure Celtic would be willing to pay him about £6k a week to make up any difference there is. I don't think he really cares too much about playing football any more tbh.

Like I say, I would prefer it if he left at this point, but I don't think Bobo particulaly owes Celtic anything at this point. He should be in the team, knows it and is under contract for 18 months. He should be paid off like Tommy G was if Strachan insists on not using him.

Isn't his contract up next summer? Also, apparently he agreed a deal to leave Celtic but Celtic wanted him sign a confidentiality agreement for some reason. He said he wouldn't open his mouth to the media but he wasn't going to sign it.

Strachan won't play him because he relies completely on someone to guide him around the place. It was only when he started playing alongside Varga that we really became aware of this. I think it says a lot that O'Neill didn't try to sign him. i'd have signed that player to guide him a long time ago though. A Sami Hyypia beside him would make an unreal partnership. Balde still has plenty of pace.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere that he tunred down 30K a week at either Wolves or Sunderland.

Personally, I'd start him ahead of both Caldwell and McManus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

what happened to the celts on sunday. what a shock result.
    only saw till it was 3-1 and had to go to my own game. we lost aswell :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

Strachan is chosing not to play his best defender on some sort of principal, quote]

is his contract pay to play or something? Cant believe they are paying him 30K each week and neither playing him or shoving him out the door.

Even if an emergency arises, he cant come in as he has no match practice at all.

Another Strachan mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

If Balde is on the payroll he should be utilised. Strachan not picking him for petty purposes (if that is the case) is unacceptable and constitutes another black mark against Strachan and his managerial skills. I'm not in the pro or anti Balde camp per se but i would like to see him gaining 1st team action seeing as he is costing 30K pw, or else shown the door. At the end of the day its up to the manager to sort out these issues, a 30K pw benchwarmer is unacceptable, and the blame lies with Strachan not Balde.

sometimes I think Strachan likes to take a stand against what the fans are complaining about. He doesnt verbally come out and say this or that, but he seems to go right against the fans at times.

This issue with the left back is an example, I do not know one Celtic fan who does not think this is a problem area, and should be addressed. Every board or site highlights it, yet zero action from Strachan.

Saying that, the last 3 seasons have been great, I do think we are on for a championshiop win this year, I think rangers are not as strong as us in squad or in quality. Motivation is another question though, hope Strachan can keep the boys heads up.

If Balde is on the payroll he should be utilised. Strachan not picking him for petty purposes (if that is the case) is unacceptable and constitutes another black mark against Strachan and his managerial skills. I'm not in the pro or anti Balde camp per se but i would like to see him gaining 1st team action seeing as he is costing 30K pw, or else shown the door. At the end of the day its up to the manager to sort out these issues, a 30K pw benchwarmer is unacceptable, and the blame lies with Strachan not Balde.
    He's not playing him because he doesn't rate him. Nothing petty about that. As I said he relies completely on his partner to guide him and there isn't a good enough organiser at Celtic.
    This issue with the left back is an example, I do not know one Celtic fan who does not think this is a problem area, and should be addressed. Every board or site highlights it, yet zero action from Strachan.
    Rubbish. Strachan has loads of targets. It's not up to him to go out and buy them. He's as frustrated as us with no new left back. You can be absolutely sure of that.

He was blocked in signing one by the board. I'll give Strachan this one, he isn't the villan here.

any idea who the left back was??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement