Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Celtic Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2008/09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Brown's goal was very very good. Nice move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's interesting that Brown is getting rave reviews for his 30 minute cameo. Apparently he was non-stop all over the place. He probably just felt he can't tire himself out in a short amount of time while when he starts he has to pace himself more.

Apparently the atmosphere tonight was excellent. Because there was so many empty sections people could all move up to join the regular song singers, The Green Brigade:
    http://kerrydalestreet.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73416

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

I was checking the listings and it looks like the match wont be on. ITV/UTV is showing Arsenal and ITV4 and RTE2 is showing Alborg v Man Utd. Will Sky have the Celtic match?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

surely setanta will have it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

MREGAN wrote: »
    I was checking the listings and it looks like the match wont be on. ITV/UTV is showing Arsenal and ITV4 and RTE2 is showing Alborg v Man Utd. Will Sky have the Celtic match?

http://www.livesportontv.com/sportindex.php?id=1

Take your pick from:
    Sky Sports 2 (19:00-22:30)
    Sky Sports HD2 (19:00-22:30)
    ITV1 (19:30-22:00 Scotland only)
    Setanta Ireland imp?type(inv)g(17378516)a(1527478)208695724(19:00-22:35 Ireland only)

Gonna be the pub then
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What the story with Pat McCourt?

A short clip of the support last night:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHWh1EKblbk&fmt=6

Think he is the Kit laundry man. He wont make it into the side. IMO that was a terrible buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Can someone change the title of this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Celtic get Kilmarnock away in quarter final of CIS cup, Rangers have Hamilton at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Our reserves beat the huns reserves 3-1 on Tuesday I think. McCourt played well in the game setting up one of the goals.

Will try and find out how he's getting on and post an update on this thread when I do.

Phew! That was close, our 2 best strikers get us out of jail again.

Its good we had a tough game ahead of a massive match on tuesday.

Badabing wrote: »
    Phew! That was close, our 2 best strikers get us out of jail again.

Its good we had a tough game ahead of a massive match on tuesday.

Good spirit from the team, Mackie should have equalised at the end there, thankfully he didn't. We look shocking at the back, unreal that O'Dea is not getting a run at all.

McGeady made the difference when he came on.

Good spirit from the team, Mackie should have equalised at the end there, thankfully he didn't. We look shocking at the back, unreal that O'Dea is not getting a run at all.

McGeady made the difference when he came on.

Mcmanus has been dodgy for ages he should be dropped for a start.

Yeah O'Dea should be in the team i agree im surprised he didn't play in the cup midweek.

EDIT: I belive Loovens was brutal today aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good going forward and ****e in defence seems to be Strachans way. What a way to win it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Good going forward and ****e in defence seems to be Strachans way. What a way to win it though :)

:rolleyes:The Kevin Keegan way eh???

On the Pat McCourt thing.......the guy was the best player in the LOI by a mile in the last few seasons.........and if he hasnt made it through yet its no wonder given wat happened to him before with injuries, never mind goin from Derry to Celtic, no offence!! Give him time, he'll come through.

He really wasn't the best player in the league by a mile by any stretch of the imagination.

He has a lot of natural talent though, but its whether he has the physical attributes to go with that remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Sums up Strachs management in a nutshell really. The one positive is that we go at them right till the death. Important goal near the end, once clear daylight appears in that league it can be hard to claw back the points needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> McGeady made the difference when he came on.

He sure did. The problem is that Gordy went and bought Maloney and then has been putting him on ahead of McGeady, whilst Aiden, Celtics best player from last season, is relegated to the bench and is only playing a partial role.

I dont understand Strachan sometimes. He complains that Celtic dont have the money to compete with the iog clubs but doing such purchases, buying a player in a position for which we are strong enough anyway, baffles me.

As it transpires, many players get affected by being dropped, which is what has effectively happened Aiden, yet he has managed to dust himself off, come on in matches and agaist Aberdeen play under his own pressure and do it on the pitch.

There are certainly aspects of Aiden's game which he can improve upon, such as shooting, but he is definitely of good enough calibre to be a starting player in Celtic's XI. Many would even say he should be the first name on the sheet. Maybe if Naka goes home to JP at the end of this season, Maloney will start on the left and Aiden on the right. At the moment, I am not happy with Strachan.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

McGeady is the most over-rated player I've seen in a long, long time.

A spell on the bench is no harm at all. Bring him back down to earth.

I have to say as a massive fan the screws or whatever that phrase is seem to have come off McGeady since the start of the season. Hopefully he can get back to his best.

Kraggy you have to know though he is very down to earth and doesn't believe in his hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've friends in Glasgow who say otherwise. They've met him and say he's a cocky wanker.

He can't shoot. And he can't cross much either. Believe me, I want him to be good but he's not as hot as he's made out to be.

I met McGeady at a CSC function about 3 years ago. He was with his girlfriend and seemed quite shy. Maybe the intervening 3 years has made him cocky.

McGeady is NOT the most over-rated player ever, thats a joke, he was massive last season and don't deny that, don't. He is going to get a bit of a hard time from everyone in Scotland for choosing to play for Ireland. I do agree that his shooting isn't the best and that a few games on the sideline is no harm. His crossing on the other hand is a lot better than you make out Kraggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

McGeady is a good player. No doubt about it, to say otherwise is plain silly. However, he has some way to go before he can be compared to other great wide players who played in Scotland such as Jinky Johnstone, Brian Laudrup and Davie Cooper. For the record, I have also heard the guy is a complete tit and goes around Glasgow if he owns the place. Never a good idea Aidan.......

kraggy wrote: »
    McGeady is the most over-rated player I've seen in a long, long time.

A spell on the bench is no harm at all. Bring him back down to earth.

Would I be right in saying that you have mainly seen him when he's been playing for Ireland?

McGeady has been quite poor for Ireland but for Celtic he is incredible. To call him over-rated just ain't true. He is the best player at Celtic and the best player in Scotland by some distance. He is also one of the best young (22 years old) players in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mc Geady is NOT one of the best young players in Europe. That title is for players in the class of Messi,Fabregas,Ronaldo,Benzema,Walcott,Young,Rooney,Aguero.

Mc Geady is a very good player, but he is not near the top level imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Mc Geady is NOT one of the best young players in Europe. That title is for players in the class of Messi,Fabregas,Ronaldo,Benzema,Walcott,Young,Rooney,Aguero.

Mc Geady is a very good player, but he is not near the top level imo.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

He's good but he aint that good

He's better than Ashley Young anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

are you for real? Ashley Young with the exception of ronaldo is the best winger in the PL (and you cant even really call Ronaldo a winger)

Would I be right in saying that you have mainly seen him when he's been playing for Ireland?

McGeady has been quite poor for Ireland but for Celtic he is incredible. To call him over-rated just ain't true. He is the best player at Celtic and the best player in Scotland by some distance. He is also one of the best young (22 years old) players in Europe.

Bobby, its questionable whether McGeady is even the best player in Scotland, let alone one of the best young players in Europe! He goes missing in two many big games. For crying out loud, even Kirk Broadfoot and Steve Davis had him in their pockets in the recent OF game and Alan Hutton in the previous season. Bar the cross for the Celtic goal, he was annoymous for the game! Hes poor enough for us at International level too. When the guy perfoms consitently in every OF game and on the CL stage and international stage, then maybe then your comments will have substance behind them.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are you for real? Ashley Young with the exception of ronaldo is the best winger in the PL (and you cant even really call Ronaldo a winger)

When he controls games in the Champion league and scores goals aswell come back to me.

Ashley Young being the 2nd best winger in the Premiership does not make him better than McGeady:rolleyes: Young is coming on good this season but he is over-rated as of now.

Ashley Young being the 2nd best winger in the Premiership does not make him better than McGeady:rolleyes: Young is coming on good this season but he is over-rated as of now.

Some tough choices for Strachan tomorrow.

Caldwell will come in for Loovens most likely.

I think he'll put Robson back in for a bit of bite off the ball.

Brown's the only midfielder or striker who I think will certainly start. I really think any of the other players could drop out.

I think it'll be Crosas, Brown, Robson, Naka, Maloney and Samaras.

McGeady, Hartley and Jan have a good chance of starting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Badabing wrote: »
    When he controls games in the Champion league and scores goals aswell come back to me.

Benfica, Milan and Barcelona last season!

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Benfica, Milan and Barcelona last season!

Erm that was my point :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not really looking forward to this one tbh, but I'd go with:

Boruc

-- Wilson --- Caldwell -- McManus --- Naylor --

- McGeady - Brown - Naka - Hartley - Maloney -

Samaras

Can't decide between Brown and Crosas to start though.

Would be delighted with a point from this game and that would be a great result.

Paulo, it will not be a great result if Celtic get a point, it would be a miracle result considering their away form in Europe! Celtic will need all the luck on the night to get a result.... Perhaps Villareal will be complacent because of Celtics away history in the competition, I think this could be Celtics only chance.

• Advertisement

Talk of a 4-5-1 with Gorgie and Jan both upfront dropping back into midfield when needed. I am glad to see mcgeady and maloney fighting for a place. It is making the benched player if he gets a run out coming of the bench even more determind. In a game like tonights if we can hold it to the end and get a late goal. With a few good subs at the right time the desire and fresh legs might be enough. Really need to play as a tight team tho and no stupid mistakes at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Not really looking forward to this one tbh
    Jesus this day went incredibly slow. I can't wait for this game. I just want Celtic to do themselves justice. There's class in the team now. Obviously the defence is rubbish but I've seen plenty of teams with rubbish defences still show a bit of class.

As someone else said, it seems like Samaras and McGeady will support Jan. Naka and Maloney probably in the bench. Hopefully Crosas supported by Brown and Robson in midfield. They showed promise against Motherwell.

Villarreal have conceded 2 goals at home since the start of January.

Official team. As unpredictable as expected:

Boruc
    Wilson --- Caldwell --- McManus --- Naylor
    Hartley

Brown
    Nakamura
    McGeady
    Maloney
    Samaras

I'm guessing with the formation based on how they played in pre-season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

People are giving out about McGeady, but from what I've seen, I'd be far more concerned with Nakamura. He doesn't look anywhere near as influential as he used to be.

First half was a good performance. 2nd half was just fabulous players against crap defenders. Our defence just saps the confidence out of the players. The pressure to keep the ball is huge and they can't be confident enough to float about freely.

Not bad in the first half, we had some shape about us and retained a reasonable amount of possession. Brown had a good game if a little rash at times. At least he tackled, which is more than can be said for most.

2nd half was awful to watch. Completely out of our depth, outpassed for 45 minutes solid. I expected it to be a bit cagey against such a good side, but I have to say I was shocked at just how easily we were torn open time after time by through balls. Wilson and Naylor are definite weak links. Caldwell and McManus were - for the most part - actually quite solid. After the goal they were just toying with us. They're a superb passing side and very quick with it. How long we're we in their half for in the 2nd half... maybe 2 minutes in total?

Naka was poor I thought - he looks tired. Too easy to take the ball from. Wilson and Naylor - say no more. :mad: McGeady and Brown were good I thought, as was Samaras bar his poorly taken shot which was a great opportunity. Boruc had a couple of decent saves, and again kept the score from getting embarrassing. McDonald's shot was a peach, such a shame he couldn't keep it a few inches lower.

Anyway, it's a 3rd place battle now for the UEFA Cup spot. Aalborg away is the key game for us - we just HAVE to get something from that game and hope that Villarreal hump the home and away, and Utd hump them at home.

I actually thought it was a good performance, better than I expected against a team as good as Villareal (who must really fancy winning the group).

A bit more composure from Samaras and we could have had a point. UEFA cup spot must be our target now

We've lost our last 4 away games by a goal (Benfica, Milan, Barca, Villarreal). That wouldn't be the worst result in a knockout tournament. We have to get into the UEFA cup. Aalborg are way too poor a team to be finishing behind.

• Advertisement

I actually thought it was a good performance, better than I expected against a team as good as Villareal (who must really fancy winning the group).

First half yes, I was surprised at how composed we were. The second half was horrendous though. We were pushed back to easily and then we just sat deeper and deeper. Naylor was torn a new one, time after time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement