Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 weeks waiting

Options
  • 04-08-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Well fellow sportsmen, approximately 6 weeks ago I applied for a firearm license for a .223. I'm still waiting and nothing as of yet anyway.
    I called in last week and asked for the garda I usully deal with but he wasn't in. One of his comrades said he'd get him to call me.
    The funny thing is he added just before I left, it could take months for that to go through this time of year:confused:Are they really that far behind on their licensing schedule??
    Would appreciate any information or details shed on the arisen issue:)
    Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention he never called back:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

give them a another week then and see what happens was in the same situation myself last year waiting for a license for a .22 after about 6 or 7 weeks i started ringing them up every day, after a week i got a phonecall to say the license had come through mysteriously had been stamped a month previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

MRJ wrote: »
    give them a another week then and see what happens was in the same situation myself last year waiting for a license for a .22 after about 6 or 7 weeks i started ringing them up every day, after a week i got a phonecall to say the license had come through mysteriously had been stamped a month previous.

Thanks for the vote of confidence mjr. It's just hard to understand how it takes so long. :( Cheers mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

My last one took 5 months :(

My last one took 5 months :(

5 months:eek: Now thats just crazy. Just as well I have the wmr to keep me happy for now. that only took 2 weeks:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Apparently around the end of July is licence renewal time so the system might get a bit stuffed. I've logged my trials and tribulations here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255767

Hope this helps.

Heckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

12 weeks for a shotgun, 10 weeks for the 22 lr. Just put in for the 223 yesterday so I won't be holding my breath for it any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How long does a substitution (.22lr for another .22lr) normally take? Local lad says licence must be sent back to the super for his approval.

Thanks to all you lads for helping me hang in there. At least it helps when you know your not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Bond-007 wrote: »
    How long does a substitution (.22lr for another .22lr) normally take? Local lad says licence must be sent back to the super for his approval.

It can be done by the local FO. No need for it to go to a Super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not according to the local station. They were most insistent.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Jonty wrote: »
    It can be done by the local FO. No need for it to go to a Super.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    Not according to the local station. They were most insistent.

If I remember correctly, variations can be done by the local FO only if that power has been explicitly delegated to him/her by the Super. If the Super wants to do all that stuff themselves then you have to go through them.

EDIT: Yep, it's section 11 of the 1964 Firearms Act that covers variations: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/act/pub/0001/sec0011.html
    EDIT 2: The wording is:
    the Superintendent of any district or any member of the Garda Síochána in any district duly authorised to do so by the Superintendent of that district

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

You would imagine a superintendent would have more important matters to attend to than ammending .22 certs.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Jonty wrote: »
    You would imagine a superintendent would have more important matters to attend to than ammending .22 certs.

You'd think that indeed, but unless there's a big enough number of them to become a nuisance I wouldn't be overly surprised. It's not like it's that big of a job, so it probably wouldn't cause too much hassle.

There's also the possibility that the Super isn't aware he/she can delegate that authority. They can't delegate a lot of the other firearms stuff so I can imagine there's a Super or two out there who just handles it all themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

IRLConor wrote: »
    You'd think that indeed, but unless there's a big enough number of them to become a nuisance I wouldn't be overly surprised. It's not like it's that big of a job, so it probably wouldn't cause too much hassle.

There's also the possibility that the Super isn't aware he/she can delegate that authority. They can't delegate a lot of the other firearms stuff so I can imagine there's a Super or two out there who just handles it all themselves.

Like for like changes most of the time go by the tried and tested procedure of dating stamping and signing by the local sergeant and a "that'll do you" for good measure. Our local man does them that way all the time as far as I know. One of my friends swapped his .22lr for a .22 airrifle and that was done exactly the same way.

Advertisement