Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexander Solzhenitsyn dies at 89

Options
  • 04-08-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I've only read "A Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich" which I found to be quite an astounding book. I shall kick on and read The Gulag Archipelago in honour of who was a truly important author.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Very sad to hear.

Cancer Ward was a book I really enjoyed. I strongly recommend it, as well. It's much tougher then Ivan Denisovich.

Ivan Denisovich is pretty good too but, imo, it was a bit "happy".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Weird, only a few weeks ago, I was checking to see if he was still alive. A really great and important writer. Not always the easiest to read, but definitely somebody who had plenty to say. I think I would pick 'The First Circle' as my favourite, but it's actually been a few years since I read anything of his. May have to revisit. Hmmm, maybe can suggest it for the book club!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I just ordered Ivan Denisovich, some light reading for the bus to West Cork for my holidays next week :)

I read 'Gulag: A History of the Soviet Camps' a while ago, and it was brilliant. It makes reference to his work all the time. Its easy to forget what a gigantic risk he took being the first person to write about the Gulags. They could have very easily made him disappear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Have only read Cancer Ward but I really enjoyed it and it seems the rest of his work is better or equal to it. A very brave man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Ar dheis go raibh a anam.

Lived to be a good age, and what a life to lead. Saw so much.

Strange hearing Putin paying tributes to him, when it was Putin's ex-employers the KGB that were persecuting him in the seventies. Well I suppose it wasn't all that strange to hear him delvier the platitudes, given that that is what politicians do, act the complete and utter hypocrite.

Cancer Ward was a powerful book. Absolutely bleak though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement