Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Venues in Wicklow

• 04-08-2008 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭

My band are releasing our first EP and are looking to build up some kind of a fanbase. Until now we've just been playing the usual spots in town, but it's very difficult to get decent crowds.

So with the release of the EP we're gonna take things more seriously and get the hell out of Dublin as often as possible. Only catch is we all have real jobs so I think we'd be limiting gigs outside of Dublin to weekends only, although Wicklow's hardly a million miles away.

Does anybody know of any decent venues for local bands in Wicklow town, Arklow, anywhere else? Places that would usually draw a crowd on weekends, regardless of who's playing. I'm not talking about the place being packed now, just don't want to arrange gigs and turn up and play to nobody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

What sort of music do you play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rock, I don't know how to describe it other than that. You can check out some of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

wow your actually pretty good. Have your music playing there in the background. Was going to suggest a few bars around Bray but maybe thats too close to Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cheers.

Well I actually live in Shankill so was hoping to get a little further away than Bray. Just anywhere not within reach of the city centre but not too far to drive. 1 hour max, but obviously the closer the better. Just gonna try doing this a couple of times to see what kind of gigs we end up getting and how succesful they are, then we'll think of going a bit further than Wicklow/Wexford if we think it'd be worth the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not sure how ye'd go about getting to play now, but the Bridge Tavern in Wicklow Town would probably be a decent bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

All the pubs in wicklow town have bands on most nights at the wknd and they are always busy enough!

The bridge and Ernies are the main live band ones tho!

Oh and Saturday night if your going for any night would be best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You could check out the new theater in greystones.

http://www.greystonestheatre.com/theatre/index.html

It is a very nice place and is actually a venue as opposed to a theater really - I don't think they have had a play on yet and are using the literal meaning of Theater instead of the commonly used meaning, but oh well.

I'm not sure how receptive they'd be as I have never spoken with them about things like this, but it could be worth a go - they might take you on as an opening act for one of their listed groups - they did so recently with a group a friend of mine is in.

Worth a shot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

My band are releasing our first EP and are looking to build up some kind of a fanbase. Until now we've just been playing the usual spots in town, but it's very difficult to get decent crowds.

So with the release of the EP we're gonna take things more seriously and get the hell out of Dublin as often as possible. Only catch is we all have real jobs so I think we'd be limiting gigs outside of Dublin to weekends only, although Wicklow's hardly a million miles away.

Does anybody know of any decent venues for local bands in Wicklow town, Arklow, anywhere else? Places that would usually draw a crowd on weekends, regardless of who's playing. I'm not talking about the place being packed now, just don't want to arrange gigs and turn up and play to nobody.

Congrats on the EP Release, I used to gig in the Wicklow area I recommend the Ginmill in Arklow and The Bridge Tavern in Wicklow. Alot of great places have closed recently you should try gigging in Carlow and Wexford.

However, Ginmill and The Tavern always have a crowd. We were a pretty heavy band and we were able to get a great young crowd in both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shamrockone

Hi Check out "Wicklow Music Scene" on facebook

You can announce your EP and get some feedback in relation to venues

New resource which is gathering some momentum

all types of music catered

Advertisement