Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Venues in Wexford

Options
  • 04-08-2008 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭

Ok I stuck this post in the Wicklow forum too...

My band are releasing our first EP and are looking to build up some kind of a fanbase. Until now we've just been playing the usual spots in town, but it's very difficult to get decent crowds.

So with the release of the EP we're gonna take things more seriously and get the hell out of Dublin as often as possible. Only catch is we all have real jobs so I think we'd be limiting gigs outside of Dublin to weekends only.

Does anybody know of any decent venues for local bands in Gorey, Enniscorthy, Wexford town, anywhere else? Places that would usually draw a crowd on weekends, regardless of who's playing. I'm not talking about the place being packed now, just don't want to arrange gigs and turn up and play to nobody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I've only lived in wexford for a few years so the best suggestions I could give are the Bailey in Enniscorthy, and the Sky In( or and I'm not sure:o):oThe Ground in Wexford town. No idea about how easy it would be to pull in a crowd though.

Hope that helped a little, and best of luck with the EP launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

try get in touch with The Half way House in Ballycogley, it's outside Wexford town, a bit isolated but there is usually a good crowd there on the weekends as it draws drinkers from a few surrounding villages

Dakota in Wexico town is another good one for live bands. The problem with Wexford is it's more driven towards dance music than decent proper live music, Mooneys on the quays used to be fantastic for live bands, well known and not so well known, but since that went, it's been down hill since then.

you might also try the centenery stores in Wex town, they used to do live music one night a week but not sure if they still do, it's owned by te same guy that owns Dakota.

Hope that helps a bit, oh, and PM me if you get agig, I'll try make it down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

dintbo wrote: »
    I've only lived in wexford for a few years so the best suggestions I could give are the Bailey in Enniscorthy, and the Sky In( or and I'm not sure:o):oThe Ground in Wexford town. No idea about how easy it would be to pull in a crowd though.

Hope that helped a little, and best of luck with the EP launch.

Sky and the ground would be a very small venue. The music is actually staged the adjoining bar. I've played there once, sound system was crap but the crowd were great.

Chocolate in Wexford town has bands on every saturday night. 90% of the time its cover bands though (usually a very good standard).

Unless you're very middle of the road and crowd pleasing there's very few pubs that would be that receptive in wexford town.

Advertisement