Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a GPS quick!

• 04-08-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

So I think a bit of water got behind the screen of my Airis T920a today and the touchscreen wont respond now so I can't use it at all.

I badly need a GPS for my work so I want to get one sorted asap.

It must have:
    • Ire/UK/European Maps
    • "Plan A Route" function
    • Updateable maps
    • Supplied with up to date map

I'm willing to pay extra if it has:
    • Speed camera notifications
    • Alternative route suggestion
    • "Point to avoid" function (just made up that name, but say for example it's taking you on a route and the road it's taking you on is closed, if you could point to avoid that road so it will give an alternative)
    • User editable maps (so users can edit thing such as road speeds, closed roads, new roads if possible?)

I'm not willing to pay extra for:
    • MP3 Player, have a separate one so no need
    • Bluetooth, my head unit has this so no need
    • Extra voices
    • Games
    • Any gimicky crap

Would like to get my hands on one fast so if somebody could suggest a make and model that would suit the above request I'd really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone have any suggestions for a suitable one? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Garmin Nuvi 250

Thanks for the reply. Do you know, how many of the features I'm willing to pay extra for does it have and which ones? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know, how many of the features I'm willing to pay extra for does it have and which ones? :)
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Thanks for the link. Had a look there earlier, but it doesn't go into enough details to let me know if it can do the things I mentioned, besides speed cameras.

I think the Nuvi 760 is the best option for me so far though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Pixmania and the TOmTom 730T
    Far better price here than in any shop in Ireland and deleverd in 2 days (at least MINE was :D)
    easy to "find" extra maps as well :cool::cool::cool:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1161115/art/tomtom/go-730-t-go-for-europe.html

you could also go for the slightly cheaper non T version OR if your feeling really flahulacht, the more expensive 930T version !!

hope it helps one way or another !

(oh yeah, bought mine and connected it to tomtom home and d/l'd the "newer maps straight away :D)

Cheers

So I think a bit of water got behind the screen of my Airis T920a today and the touchscreen wont respond now so I can't use it at all.

I badly need a GPS for my work so I want to get one sorted asap.

It must have:
    • Ire/UK/European Maps
    • "Plan A Route" function
    • Updateable maps
    • Supplied with up to date map

I'm willing to pay extra if it has:
    • Speed camera notifications
    • Alternative route suggestion
    • "Point to avoid" function (just made up that name, but say for example it's taking you on a route and the road it's taking you on is closed, if you could point to avoid that road so it will give an alternative)
    • User editable maps (so users can edit thing such as road speeds, closed roads, new roads if possible?)

I'm not willing to pay extra for:
    • MP3 Player, have a separate one so no need
    • Bluetooth, my head unit has this so no need
    • Extra voices
    • Games
    • Any gimicky crap

Would like to get my hands on one fast so if somebody could suggest a make and model that would suit the above request I'd really appreciate it :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

So I suppose it's a toss between Tom Tom 730 and Garmin Nuvi 760.

They both have things the other doesn't which is pretty annoying.

From what I've been reading, Garmin has better maps and better navigation and is much easier to use (you don't have to know the city/postcode of an address like you do with the TomTom apparantly, you didn't need to know with the Airis T920a which is years old, I thought that would be standard).

TomTom has access to user editable maps (mapshare), Garmin doesn't.

TomTom has a better route detour function, not sure if Garmin has this at all?

It's annoying that there can't be one with all the pros, but from what I've been reading, the Garmin is the most reliable for the actual function of navigating and finding places so I'll probably go with that.

I just found out that with the Garmin, you still have to put in the full name of the place. What's up with that? With my Airis t920, you could just put in "daw dub" and it would return any place name, such as dawson street, with "daw" at the start. Much handier than having to put in the full name which I'll probably spell wrong half the time :(

My old GPS dried out in the hotpress and now it's fine :D

So now I have a backup GPS, I was thinking of buying a backup GPS incase my new one got damaged/lost/stolen so that saves some hassle :)

Got the Nuvi 760 in the end from Elara.ie, great price compared to anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just found out that with the Garmin, you still have to put in the full name of the place. What's up with that? With my Airis t920, you could just put in "daw dub" and it would return any place name, such as dawson street, with "daw" at the start. Much handier than having to put in the full name which I'll probably spell wrong half the time :(
    Well you can still do that, sort of .. if you enter only part of a town or a street name, say 'DAW' or 'DUB', if you then press DONE it'll display all possible alternatives in a scrolling list, otherwise it waits until you've keyed in enough letters so that all the possible alternatives will fit on one page for you to select from.

• Advertisement

Ok, this is pretty annoying. I was searching for the following 3 places on my GPS and couldn't find them, but once I zoomed to the area, I could see them named and everything. What's up with that?

You can see the 3 places here: http://www.communitywalk.com/ireland/map/283932 and what they are called.

Can anyone find them by "searching by address" and if so, how?

Quite frustrating when you're in the van and want to go somewhere and it wont find it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

You're whining on about all the different GPS devices. "My old one did this, my old one did that, TomTom doesn't do what I want it to do, Garmin does this but not this....!"

Buy a bleedin road-map for christ sake!

Hehe, well after spending €285 on a map you think it'd find these places, they aren't exactly new or anything :(

My old one probably finds them actually :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

I just checked those 3 places on my Tom Tom Mobile an it found all 3 :P

AND I didn't pay a penny for it :D

Advertisement