Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

health checks for boxer

Options
  • 04-08-2008 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Would a vet be able to give my boxer all the necessay health checks to see if she is fit for breeding or do i need to see someone else?Not saying i am going to breed her just seeing if that option is open to me in the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say so, there isn't really anybody else!

also, you shouldn't breed the boxer unless she is an excellent example of her breed and preferably has been shown. (and done well in the shows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

There is to many boxers ending up in the pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

You should be showing her first to gauge whether or not she is a good enough example of the breed standard to consider breeding. If she's not placing in shows, then you have your answer right there as to whether or not she should be bred.

The tests you need to get done on her if she is placing at shows and you decide to breed her are:

Hip/elbow dysplasia
    Hypothyroidism
    Aortic Valve Disease
    AS/SAS
    Boxer cardiomyopathy

None of these tests should be performed before she is 2 years of age, and obviously any stud dog that you were planning to breed with would also have to have all the tests done.

A final note is that the tests are not cheap and you will probably only break even on a litter. It's not a licence to print money as some people think.

A very, very good article to read if you are considering breeding here: http://www.newcastleboxers.com/wannabreed.shtml

Advertisement