Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

En-Suite Leak - How to address

Options
  • 04-08-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on what steps to take to fix a leak in our en-suite.

Been in the house 2 years now have this is the third leak in our bathroom. #1 was a leaky sink pipe. # 2 was a leak at back of toilet. These have created stains in our sitting room (which I havent gotten round to painting over but thats a different story!) and now I have a 3rd stain which appeared yesterday.

The problem is in our shower enslosure. I noticed that some of our tiles near the bottom seem to be discoloured. It is in an area where the grout looks slightly cracked and also has a couple of pin sized holes. Yesterday, the shower was in use for a total of maybe 30 / 40 minutes and we noticed that this created the stain in our sitting room ceiling. SO my questions...

- Could these grouting issues be enough to create a significant leak?? (the leak has also stretched into carpet in the bedroom that adjoins our shower)

- Could I simply re-grout with a tube of pre-mixed grout? (or do I need to 'scrape' out the old grout?

I have read ALL the related threads - couldnt see an answer to the exact same problem I have.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The problem could well be the grout. Its amazin the amount of water that can pass a small crack in the grout in 30 mins and amazing how little will cause the staining you refer to.

You will need to check that the tiles are still well fixed or stuck. Tap them gently and listen for a hollow sound. Tile adhesive is water soluble (generally) and will allow tiles to lift if it becomes wet.

If the tiles sound hollow, you will need to take them down, clear off all the adhesive and relay them.

If they are sound then you need to clear out the affected grout and regrout the area. You should get grout suitable for a shower. Some is more waterproff than others though they all claim to be waterproof.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neglectarino

Thanks for that. I have left the shower to dry for 3 days and plan to remove and re-grout the noticable problem area's tomorrow night...

... then watch for new stains! If they do recur, I think I'll just call a plumber.

Thanks again,

Advertisement