Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Proofing d/stairs toilet??

Options
  • 04-08-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

Our downstairs toilet backs onto our living room. We find we constantly have to raise the volume of the TV to prevent us hearing the chorus created when someone is using the loo!! Its a little embarrassing when you have friends over and you can hear ppl on the john!

Can anyone advise what practical steps we can take? (other than a) stop inviting ppl over, b) ask ppl to pee more quietly!).

I was wondering if there is some sort of insulation you can pipe into the walls??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Use your downstairs loo as a utility room, like we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Remove plaster slab from one side of the wall.
    75mm to 100mm rockwool fitted tightly between timber studs.
    double slab wall with 12.5mm plasterboard ans skim.

It should help.

If it a blockwork wall, you could try framing out one side, adding rockwool etc. Or maybe prenderb is right!

Add a mechanical extractor fan, a loud noisey one!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neglectarino

Cheers RKQ, thanks.

The bathroom backs onto the sitting room on 2 walls so it sounds like a big job to pull out two walls, fill them and put them back up.

I was hoping someone would say "you can buy a can of insulating foam, drill holes in the walls at a couple of points and then fill them in"!!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

you could fit a torbeck valve,it wont stop of the noise of the flush but will make the cistern filling more quite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You are very welcome neglectarino.

Its not a hard job to remove plasterslabs but it is a very messy one!
    Screwing new slabs is easy and cheap.
    A skim coat should be applied by Plasterer, but you could "DIY" a tape and fill finish. ( Tape joints between slaps, fill with plaster and sand - finsh is good to paint )

I suppose it depends on your DIY skills and how much the noise annoys you!

Still its a fair bit of messy labour for a bit of peace and quite.

Maybe you could invest afew hundred euro in a home cinema sound system - fitting two big speakers to the wc walls.

Nice treat for you and it'll "smother" any nasty noise!
    Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

landydef wrote: »
    you could fit a torbeck valve,it wont stop of the noise of the flush but will make the cistern filling more quite!

Perhaps. But I get the distinct impression the OP was complaining about the noise from the toilet user :eek:

If it was me I'd probably just lock the door, hide the key, and only allow it to be used in emergencies!!! I'm presuming you have an upstairs WC also :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nb1967

If the problem is that the tinkle and plop is too loud then why not just add a loud fan to introduce some white noise that covers over the offending sounds. You probably want to hook it up to the light switch so it'll automatically go on when the room is occupied.

For some real sophistication you could add another switch somewhere out of the way so you could disable the fan - and the noise - when it's just you at home. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The link

Have wondered about this myself. How can the noise "plop" be disguised or eliminated when the loo is on a wooden floor upstairs.. There is probably a very simple answer to this but........
    Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

why cover it up? everyone does it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nb1967

John mac wrote: »
    why cover it up? everyone does it :D

True enough - but there's a reason that it's all done behind closed doors and not in a bucket in the middle of the room - and I'm not just talking about the hygiene element :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 djml1980

It is possible to fill the walls with insulation by pumping it in. I had a guy do it for me as i had a similar problem. Alot less messy than ripping the slab off the wall..

Advertisement