Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise and a pinch of salt:

Options
  • 04-08-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

A rant by yours truly: Step aside neighbor

So what is better than living in Dublin with it's consistent amount of killings and muggings, but the ultimate killer of all, 'noise'.

When I was growing up I was a kind boy, nothing bothered me. When I started recording from my home studio I suddenly noticed noise. I quickly grew into a psychopath from there on and like a rogue super hero I want to kill the noise, and where there is noise there are people. Noise can be the neighbors dog or the drilling of the pavement. Noise can play games with you, stop and start, start and stop. Noise can make you want to apply for a fire arm license. Noise is a weapon of unnecessary disrespect to fellow human beings. Noise is generally accepted as a city kind of thing.

Noise makes me think of a poison dart or cyanide pill to place in the neighbors dog bowl. Noise makes me want to disable cutting machinery, like lawnmowers. Noise reminds me of how much I like silence. Silence is golden. Silence helps me allot. When silence comes I can take off my mask and relax. I don't like who I live beside because they pollute me with noise. I like quite folk. Folk who understand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Noise like that can be great sometimes..

Years ago..

I used to be in a band. We'd practice / record in a big garage with a galvanised metal roof.

We were recording this tune one day.. It had a really low volume, slow twiddly bit at the end with cymbals & toms being lightly tapped..

Just as we got to that part.. It started to rain. The sound of the roof was nothing short of amazing.

But I agree - It was probably a lot nicer that a "Wha?!" or a "Wherz da smack.."

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

The noise could be coming from all over the place. (Mysterious noises could be coming from your computer -- the wir of a disk drive or fan is the absolute worst for destroying recordings -- or the eddy currents on the computers circuit creating digital noise.)

Depending where you are, there's different things you can do to deaden the noise.

A small studio I know (it's in a spare bedroom) == the guy has tapestries and cloth things hanging from the wall, this catches a lot of ambient noise and kills it. Try clapping your hands in the room -- if you want the room to be deader and minimize noise, you should not hear an echo from your hand clap.

But if you're getting into the dog killing business -- could you come around to mine and terminate a couple of my neighbours little ****ers -- with extreme prejidous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

dav nagle wrote: »
    A rant by yours truly: Step aside neighbor

So what is better than living in Dublin with it's consistent amount of killings and muggings, but the ultimate killer of all, 'noise'.

When I was growing up I was a kind boy, nothing bothered me. When I started recording from my home studio I suddenly noticed noise. I quickly grew into a psychopath from there on and like a rogue super hero I want to kill the noise, and where there is noise there are people. Noise can be the neighbors dog or the drilling of the pavement. Noise can play games with you, stop and start, start and stop. Noise can make you want to apply for a fire arm license. Noise is a weapon of unnecessary disrespect to fellow human beings. Noise is generally accepted as a city kind of thing.

Noise makes me think of a poison dart or cyanide pill to place in the neighbors dog bowl. Noise makes me want to disable cutting machinery, like lawnmowers. Noise reminds me of how much I like silence. Silence is golden. Silence helps me allot. When silence comes I can take off my mask and relax. I don't like who I live beside because they pollute me with noise. I like quite folk. Folk who understand.

Dav, the 'noise' you speak of is just people living their lives as, I believe, is their right.
    It's not as if there's a DJ banging away next door a 4am now is it?

You have a terriffic set up but have no 'soundproofing' really - such is the lot of the home studio owner, my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

There is no noise leak out of my booth or studio or room, so noise doesn't interfere with my recordings. My studio gets hot though when the window is closed tight. I am delighted with what I have. But when I open my window its a different story. My neighbor got a new dog and leaves it out the back everyday. The dog is a pup and cries and whines like a little bitch. I love dogs allot. I adore them.

This morning being a bank holiday the neighbor is not working. The dog started crying again, the neighbor gets up and lets the dog inside. The noise stops. So what I am getting at here is this. Noise is fine if necessary but people cause noise sometimes out of their own ignorance. The dog has been crying out the back every day for the last 2 weeks. It only registers with the neighbor when it effects him. I think I am going barking mad! du dum tisss t

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

There is no noise leak out of my booth or studio or room, so noise doesn't interfere with my recordings. My studio gets hot though when the window is closed tight. I am delighted with what I have. But when I open my window its a different story. My neighbor got a new dog and leaves it out the back everyday. The dog is a pup and cries and whines like a little bitch. I love dogs allot. I adore them.

This morning being a bank holiday the neighbor is not working. The dog started crying again, the neighbor gets up and lets the dog inside. The noise stops. So what I am getting at here is this. Noise is fine if necessary but people cause noise sometimes out of their own ignorance. The dog has been crying out the back every day for the last 2 weeks. It only registers with the neighbor when it effects him. I think I am going barking mad! du dum tisss t

Then the answer is simple.. and you already know it, in your heart.

Some people sufer for their art, and sometimes animals have to die for it.

Kill the dog. ,,, you know you want to.

Your neighbours can't be that attached to it, if they let it bawl in the yard all day.

Soak part of a chicken breast in rat poison for about 2 days. Then throw it to him. Works a charm every time. Make sure it's small enough that he doesn't leave any bits around unswallowed.

Swear,,, works a ****ing charm everytime.

Or just splash out on some airconditioning. But I think it's probably too late to talk you out of killing the dog.

If the neighbours don't quiten down,,, invite them for a barbeque,, the same trick will work on them as the dog.

krd wrote: »
    Works a charm every time.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Steal the dog, then bbq it?

009_422-034%7EStar-Wars-Posters.jpg
    krd wrote: »
    Then the answer is simple.. and you already know it, in your heart.

Some people sufer for their art, and sometimes animals have to die for it.

Kill the dog. ,,, you know you want to.

Your neighbours can't be that attached to it, if they let it bawl in the yard all day.

Soak part of a chicken breast in rat poison for about 2 days. Then throw it to him. Works a charm every time. Make sure it's small enough that he doesn't leave any bits around unswallowed.

Swear,,, works a ****ing charm everytime.

Or just splash out on some airconditioning. But I think it's probably too late to talk you out of killing the dog.

If the neighbours don't quiten down,,, invite them for a barbeque,, the same trick will work on them as the dog.

I believe we would work very well together in any given situation

SecretApprentice_tfu.jpg
    Neurojazz wrote: »
    Steal the dog, then bbq it?

You may join us too young jedi!

• Advertisement

yoda.jpg
    PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Dav, the 'noise' you speak of is just people living their lives as, I believe, is their right.
    It's not as if there's a DJ banging away next door a 4am now is it?

You have a terriffic set up but have no 'soundproofing' really - such is the lot of the home studio owner, my friend!

Very wise for a jedi but you must be destroyed along with the neighbors and dogs!

I am going to drop a letter in to the neighbor explaining in detail how he needs to show his dog some love.

I am going to drop a letter in to the neighbor explaining in detail how he needs to show his dog some love.

Go around and chat to him!

Go around and chat to him!

(Neighbor) Yes? what is it?

(Dav) Your dog needs some love

(Neighbor) we do love him we spend all weekend playing with him

(Dav) Yes but you leave him out in the rain during the week.

(Neighbor) Well whats the problem with that?

(Dav) Your dog cries and moans for attention and warmth

(Neighbor) But sure know one is here, I genuinely only care about my family, not yours. I was in a band once and tried to talk to you about buying second hand gear off me but you never came back to me on it. You disrespected me. You made me feel like I was in another U2 wannabe Dublin crap band. Then you had your 25th a couple years ago and kept my entire family awake until I had to call you up and threaten you, you see Dav, I am a bollix. I will take the dog inside and have him **** everywhere
    but I will throw you cheap dirty looks when I see you. And stop looking at my daughter. (door closes)

Are you sure I should call in master Jedi?

(Neighbor)

Are you sure I should call in master Jedi?

Well a letter will just go into the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Dav are you spaced of whats going on. Im lost.

sei046 wrote: »
    Dav are you spaced of whats going on.

No more than usual

I think i actually meant "or" not of

Dav are you spaced of whats going on. Im lost.

Hi Seoi,

are you spaced of whats going on doesn't make sense? What exactly do you mean? I am posting a fun thread based on the general ignorance of noise, my studio is surrounded by sometimes highly unnecessary sounds and I find it very annoying to deal with at the best of times, get me?

I know dav dont worry, and i fixed my grammar a post or two ago!

I enjoyed that yer' man on youtube talking about sound. What a class granddad he would be!

• Advertisement

I know dav dont worry, and i fixed my grammar and a post or two ago!

I enjoyed that yer' man on youtube talking about sound. What a class granddad he would be!

Yes the guy on you tube was very interesting to listen to. He seemed to have a view of sound in general as a luxury and I suppose sound is a luxury for there are those who haven't got that luxury. Enlightening.

I often wondered if something like hearing is a luxury when it is something we evolved to have fair and square lol. Now dont get me wrong im not knocking the oul' hearing or anything and I am very grateful I have mine but just a thought that entered my mind once or twice. Is it a luxury for a cat to have a tail?

I often wondered if something like hearing is a luxury when it is something we evolved to have fair and square lol. Now dont get me wrong im not knocking the oul' hearing or anything and I am very grateful I have mine but just a thought that entered my mind once or twice. Is it a luxury for a cat to have a tail?

It is a luxury for a cat to have a tail if some cats are born with none.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

call the rspca.thats not right to keep a dog outdoors in rain

It is a luxury for a cat to have a tail

It is if he lives next to you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Why don't you incorporate the dog barking into a kick @ss song. It worked for Jane's Addiction in "been caught stealing".
    If you can hear the dog from your studio, your neighbours can problem hear your music from their garden. I think it is your problem and you should sound proof the studio accordingly. Next you will be ringing Dublin airport to complain about planes flying past while you are trying to do a vocal take :-).
    All the more reason to track your drums in trackmix!

Why don't you incorporate the dog barking into a kick @ss song It worked for Jane's Addiction in "been caught stealing".

Emm the client would not appreciate it!

If you can hear the dog from your studio, your neighbours can problem hear your music from their garden.

You cant hear the dog in the booth

I think it is your problem and you should sound proof the studio accordingly.

I have

Next you will be ringing Dublin airport to complain about planes flying past while you are trying to do a vocal take :-).

I have already posted a thread on police helicopters, so good guess.

All the more reason to track your drums in trackmix!

I am doing drums in your studio!

It is if he lives next to you!;)

l_89ed7e857d4751915c0c9ff411f26d10.jpg

This is how happy my neighbors cat is when she is in my company, she is a great songwriter and not a bad engineer

Advertisement