Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Paint Tins -> Skip?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

So can I put old tins of paint in one of those skip bags if I seal the tin with tape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Dublin city council recycling centres take all types of paint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

6th wrote: »
    So can I put old tins of paint in one of those skip bags if I seal the tin with tape?
    You can't put paint tins in them skip bags :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Cheers lads, I'll be a responsible householder and dispose of them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Please do...leakages from old paint tins in landfill mightn't seem like a huge issue but some of the constituents of paints and varnishes can be a major cause of harm to aquatic life, in the event of a lot of rain, run off into rivers and inshore bays and such is probably doing a lot of unseen harm to wildlife.
    Count yourself lucky; as a consumer, the disposal serevice is free...contractors pay some hefty fees for the same service (those who bother to comply).

Back when I worked in the US, this was such an issue that you could buy a special powdered silica gel in paint stores that you'd throw into the bottoms of old tins and buckets, to solidify the paint, peel it out and then recycle just the container...made a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

in my local recycle place, you can only recycle paint tins if there is something still in them, not empty. If empty, into the normal rubbish bags!

• Advertisement
Advertisement