Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work?

• 04-08-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, I want to get a VodaFone sim card to use their 99c per day (only pay the days you use it) 50mb data deal. I see here: http://vodafone.ie/offers/prepay/freesim/ that if you switch to them from another network, you get €80 credit. So I was thinking, if I got an o2 sim from http://freesims.ie/ and then switch to VodaFone, will I be getting €80 credit. I think you need to top up by €20 a month to get the full €80, but you get some anyway without doing this I think.

Also, FireFox is blocking me getting to the Free Sim page linked to above, is it the same for anyone else? Is it safe to go to:confused:

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,946 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fine for me in Firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Hi Cormie, I'd say that might work! Good thinking!

I'm using ie and freesims website is working for me! The site is very safe I've received sims from this site before. Hth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. The pages I can't get to are this: http://vodafone.ie/df/simonly/ and this: http://vodafone.ie/myv/services/registration/index.jsp
    Secure Connection Failed

vodafone.ie uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for www.vodafone.ie.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

* This could be a problem with the server's configuration, or it could be someone trying to impersonate the server.

* If you have connected to this server successfully in the past, the error may be temporary, and you can try again later.

Or you can add an exception…

Ok, just put "www" in front of both addresses and it was fine.

I see with the "new number" you pay €10 and get €5 preloaded and €15 on registration, with porting a number, it's free and you get €5 pre loaded and €15 on registration. So you can get €20 as opposed to €10 and don't have to pay anything. With porting, you get €10 for 6 months, with a new number, €10 for 3 months, both providing you top up by €20 a month in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Hi Cormie,
    I'm not being smart-well I am kinda but just go out and buy a Vodafone Sim Card with a Vodafone Number! Your going about it in a very round about way, if you port across you'll get €80 and if you buy a vodafone sim you'll get €50 but from your original post I gather that you dont intent on topping up much so- unless you're going to top up every month you might as well just get a vodafone number or just port your number onto vodafone that you have already, their free texts to any network now or free vodafone to vodafone is good too... Its just my 2c:)

Thanks for the input :)

You're right, for me this idea isn't really worth the hassle, but for somebody who will be topping up by 20 a month with credit anyway, maybe it is :)

But without the topping up, you still get €10 more if you port than if you just get a new sim. Do you know how much a new sim will cost in a vodafone store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the input :)

You're right, for me this idea isn't really worth the hassle, but for somebody who will be topping up by 20 a month with credit anyway, maybe it is :)

But without the topping up, you still get €10 more if you port than if you just get a new sim. Do you know how much a new sim will cost in a vodafone store?
    new sim is 9.99 and a porting sim is €12

Thanks, I'm in no rush for this really so I think I might just do the porting one online since you get €10 extra and don't have to provide payment details or anything :) You need the sim before you order though. I might have a spare somewhere :)

Got my 2 o2 sims today (only needed one!) and have now switched so I suppose I just have to wait for Vodafone to send the sim and I'll have €20 credit for a cost of €0, as opposed to €20 for a cost of €10 :P

Now I asked in a Vodafone store, can I connect that sim to a laptop and connect to the net for €1 a day for 50mb and he said no. I said I did it in the UK and he said it's different, but I don't think it is, is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement