Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime Central

Options
  • 04-08-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Ehh, I´m not sure if I can start a thread about this, advertising and all that bu what the hey.
    Anime central, channel 199 on sky, who else watches/watched it?
    I´m saddened by it´s loss of such great shows as FMA and bleach.
    It still has two amazing shows, Cowboy bebop and ghost in the shell, but thats ALL they have on there,night after night!
    So what I´m saying is, let´s get those fukcing ratings back up so we get some more high quality anime for fre, huh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I watched it for a while but like you said it only has 2 shows.I like CB as much as anyone but not enough to watch the series back to back for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I watched Cowboy Bebop on it even though its not even in order but I can't stand the dub in GitS. Good show but hate the voice actors. I watched Bleach on it as well just because it was a novelty to not watch poorly encoded downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Good channel at first, but repetition really is its downfall. I would love to start watching againin order to boost their ratings, but unfortunately people want a bit of variety e.g. Movies and different shows. I think that if they don't sort this out they will fade away. What I find interesting thoughis that the shows they do have are quite mainstream, so why can't they just reduce these and get some more obscure shows for the fans. I think that they need to stop straddling that Americanime fence and at least attempt to show some different variationsof anime. Not everyone is afraid of subtitles. I amaware they obviously need tokeep up ratings, but couldn't they ease in with amixtureof the two and work from there. It can't hurt to try, seeing as the other option is its eventual disappearanceof the channel listings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Well even having it on whilst doing something else wil help.
    I need this, I´m in spain and all I have is freeview sky.
    Help.

andgoodbye wrote: »
    Well even having it on whilst doing something else wil help.
    I need this, I´m in spain and all I have is freeview sky.
    Help.

Save yourself with your own choice of streaming anime online. Not always the best but does the job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

fitz0 wrote: »
    I watched Cowboy Bebop on it even though its not even in order but I can't stand the dub in GitS. Good show but hate the voice actors. I watched Bleach on it as well just because it was a novelty to not watch poorly encoded downloads.

i liked the dub

Varik wrote: »
    i liked the dub

I'd have to agree with Varik. On the special features of the Cowboy Bebop Movies they discuss the voices used for the original and the dub. The people who did the voices for the dub actually worked on getting their voices close to their Japanese counterparts, to be honest when you see the comparison between the two they actually did a very good job. I'm not pro dubbing but I think if you are going to do it take a leaf out of their book, rather than slapping on random voices that don't match the mood of the program.

I think you misunderstand owlwink. Its the GitS dub I don't like. The Cowboy Bebop dub is a role model for anime dubbing. Its what all anime dubs should aspire to.

The GitS dub on the other hand annoys me. I don't think the voices altogether fit the characters and its guilty of the one thing I can't stand in dubs. The dub has to fit the movement of the mouths more or less. To do this the sentences have to sort of run together. Theres not much of a pause between sentences. As such it kind of becomes one really long sentence. All dubs do it but I just find it more noticable in this one. Maybe Im just hard to please I don't know but it bugs me.

I think you misunderstand owlwink. Its the GitS dub I don't like. The Cowboy Bebop dub is a role model for anime dubbing. Its what all anime dubs should aspire to.

The GitS dub on the other hand annoys me. I don't think the voices altogether fit the characters and its guilty of the one thing I can't stand in dubs. The dub has to fit the movement of the mouths more or less. To do this the sentences have to sort of run together. Theres not much of a pause between sentences. As such it kind of becomes one really long sentence. All dubs do it but I just find it more noticable in this one. Maybe Im just hard to please I don't know but it bugs me.

Feck just re-read there andf saw that you wrote GitS. In that case I would have to agree, nothing worse than a well animated show with screwed up audio sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Personally, I think the dub for GITS:SAC is AMAZING.

It's one of the few animes I'll watched dubbed over subbed anyday. Along with Cowboy Bebop and most Ghibli films.

The FLCL dub is pretty good too.

• Advertisement

I find that the best dub I´ve ever seenis The melancholy of haruhi suzumiya.
    The voice actors chosen were perfect for theior respective characters.
    =P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I watch Cowboy bebop regularly on it (when it's not a repeat, which it normaly is). I also saw my first few bleach episodes on there.

But I agree with owlink, they are in danger of dying if they don't mix things up a bit. A movie every friday or something would do very well for them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

andgoodbye wrote: »
    I find that the best dub I´ve ever seenis The melancholy of haruhi suzumiya.
    The voice actors chosen were perfect for theior respective characters.
    =P
    Yet 5 seconds into God Knows...
    I facepalmed better than Kyon.

Right I think I might give this a thread for the laugh.

owlwink wrote: »
    Right I think I might give this a thread for the laugh.
    huh?

http://animecentral.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=600

Votes for new episodes to be shown. Will be interesting to see if this is seen through.

Death Note and Melancholy of Sumumiya Haruhi are winning so far with Fate/Stay Night next highest

Death Note and Melancholy of Sumumiya Haruhi are winning so far with Fate/Stay Night next highest

Yeah it's not too bad suppose. Although I would love some Full Metal Panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

fitz0 wrote:
    F/SN is only 3rd?
    Quick, someone tell the *chans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I see Berserk & Hellsing have only got one vote *tut tut*

How many new series will they be able to show on the channel once the voting ends? 5?

• Advertisement

I see Berserk & Hellsing have only got one vote *tut tut*

How many new series will they be able to show on the channel once the voting ends? 5?

Still no sign of movies though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

owlwink wrote: »
    Still no sign of movies though :(

I agree, wouldn't harm showing movies like Akira or Vampire Hunter D. Even maybe OAV series back to back like Cyber City Oedo 808 or even AD Police.

I agree, wouldn't harm showing movies like Akira or Vampire Hunter D. Even maybe OAV series back to back like Cyber City Oedo 808 or even AD Police.

Movieswould be a good way of enticing new interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't expect any new shows anytime in the near future. From what I've heard they only have the rights to GitS and Bebop which are for 2 years so those shows may just be repeated the whole length of time. Also the station itself is going and is being replaced by a new channel called True Entertainment which, according to ofcom, is going to show cartoons. Unfortunately CSC aren't saying anything about the demise of AC or if any anime will be on True Entertainment. Though if there is, don't expect much more than the 2 on now. No one seems to know anything about TE. Not even a start date.

In short, CSC seemingly don't want to commit to anime.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't expect any new shows anytime in the near future. From what I've heard they only have the rights to GitS and Bebop which are for 2 years so those shows may just be repeated the whole length of time. Also the station itself is going and is being replaced by a new channel called True Entertainment which, according to ofcom, is going to show cartoons. Unfortunately CSC aren't saying anything about the demise of AC or if any anime will be on True Entertainment. Though if there is, don't expect much more than the 2 on now. No one seems to know anything about TE. Not even a start date.

In short, CSC seemingly don't want to commit to anime.

You would have to wonder why they are having votes if what you say is the case. Seems to be leading on fans a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That was just a thread created by a forum member. Not official.

As for the station CSC aren't saying anything about it. Though supposedly the guy who was looking after it has left due to the fact CSC weren't willing to provide funds for new shows.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That was just a thread created by a forum member. Not official.

As for the station CSC aren't saying anything about it. Though supposedly the guy who was looking after it has left due to the fact CSC weren't willing to provide funds for new shows.

Thats why I chose to say IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Looks like the name has already changed to Showcase TV

Stokolan wrote: »
    Looks like the name has already changed to Showcase TV

All it has now is Cowboy Bebop. WTF (The Saddle Club...):eek::eek::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

ya sure? I thought I saw on the EPG that it was Cowboy Bebop from 12am to 2am and Gits from 2am to 3am. looks like thats all they have is from 12am to 3am now and its on channel 188

Advertisement