Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 mobile broadband

Options
  • 04-08-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,391 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few questions about this product.

1. Is it any good (reliable, fast, whats the ping like?)

2. is it possible to set it up to work on multiple computers at the same time?

3. Is it possible to plug a games console into it if I wanted to play online games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Akrasia wrote: »

3. Is it possible to plug a games console into it if I wanted to play online games?

1. All depends on where you live.

2. Yes but you will need a router or a wifi set up from one of your computers

3. No you can not plug it in directly you will need to set up a wireless network...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Akrasia wrote: »

Ping for me on Vodafone's HSDPA connection is at best around 250ms and at worst has been around 700ms, but it is not consistent, and pretty much unusable for online games. I would think that O2's HSDPA service suffers the exact same problem given the nature of the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I have o2 bb and i have good speeds most of the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

speeds are way better than three but this is area dependant and if there are too many people using in your area your speeds will suffer and also o2 are still upgrading many of their masts to 3g so your area might not have 3g coverage but the edge signal is still quite good giving speeds of around 300kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Ping for me on Vodafone's HSDPA connection is at best around 250ms and at worst has been around 700ms, but it is not consistent, and pretty much unusable for online games. I would think that O2's HSDPA service suffers the exact same problem given the nature of the connection.

i often get 80-90 ms pingtimes , im based in tallaght
    altho abite even with this its impossible to play online because it doesnt feel like that ping in game , feels like 500 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Could you not link the dongle to one pc/laptiop then brigde the connection to another laptop using wi-fi?Even my phone can do that....

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads is a edge signal worth having

what i mean i can't get 3g in my area with a 02 modem but i have a very high edge signal

i get over 121kbp upload and around 74 download\i can get more but it depends)

i live in an area where one cant get broadband so this is really all i can get

i can get vodaphone 3g but its a bit dearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I have o2 and at the moment i'm incredibly pished off with it. A lot of sites are v slow. Torrents are fine tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

2. Yes but you will need a router or a wifi set up from one of your computers
    So in order to get it working with a wireless router, this would only be possible if there was a pc running? Is there no other way to attach it directly to a router - so that it can then provide an always on service without the need to have a pc running?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,153 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Eurorunner wrote: »
    So in order to get it working with a wireless router, this would only be possible if there was a pc running? Is there no other way to attach it directly to a router - so that it can then provide an always on service without the need to have a pc running?

The pc dosen't have to be running depending on the router, 02 have a router for their mobile broadband but it's quite expensive the last time I checked...3 or 4 hundred...ouch!

A wireless router to go with you modem will set you back about €110, considering 3 & 02 are both selling the modems for €20 you should be up and running pretty cheapley...

suggest a router like this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7108

@headshot....where in tipp are you can't get signal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement