Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Ireland

• 03-08-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I travel a lot as a sales rep.
    Consequently, I eat out a lot.
    I think the majority of restaurants in Ireland are a rip off, compared to other countries.
    Given that a lot of the food is imported, why is it so expensive to eat out here, than other countries.?
    Has anyone found good value in ant pat of Ireland?
    It it wages, or owners looking for too much profit, or too little competition, or what.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I would imagine that restaurants will continue to increase their prices until there's a drop off in business. They'll charge what people are willing to pay, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I went out in dublin city last december and spent 55euro on a very average meal with 2 glasses of wine and dessert.

I live in Oz and compared to Sydney this was shocking.
    Last week went out with the Other half and ordered a bottle of vino, 2 mains and 2 desserts and came to grand total of $78 which is about 47euro.

I don't really know why Ireland is so expensive. but a bottle of wine is nearly double what it is over here, and we can bring our own to some places

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I agree. I find the prices shocking in the Dublin area, and the quality of food abysmal. I've only lived here a month, and have not been impressed by any of the 6 or 7 restaurants I've visited. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but paying good money for crap seems to be a tradition in Ireland.

Irish restauranteurs need to visit somewhere outside Ireland to see how its really done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

the Oldtown cafe a malaysian resterant in Swords and is really good value.

Its a 10 or 11 euro for 2 courses and coffee for lunch.

A shame its always empty. Service is super and the staff very friendly.

My teenage daughter calls it posh. But its really nice.

Advertisement