Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to give deposit when renting?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Im about to start looking to rent an apartment in Dublin.

Whats the usual procedure with handing over the deposit and first months rent?

Ive heard when there is a lot if interest in a property a cash deposit will secure it.

Is this usually the done thing as im aware of a few scams out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Never give a booking deposit - this might not be refundable if you change your mind.

Ideally you hand over deposit and rent as you are moving in the door and hte landlord / agent is walking out, handing you the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Victor wrote: »
    Ideally you hand over deposit and rent as you are moving in the door and hte landlord / agent is walking out, handing you the keys.

I'm thinking of renting a place which isn't available until next month but the landlord wants the deposit immediately to secure it. Is this a good idea, and is there anything I should get from them (other than a receipt obviously)

It seems they've reposted their ad under a letting agent so would this mean they would be more trustworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

Agent does not necessarily = better but it does give you more clout should anything go wrong. Don't hand over a deposit without signing a lease and make sure you get a receipt - from experience I'd even come prepared with a receipt ready for them to sign. If you do do the lease early just check the dates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I rent a room out in my apartment, and what I tend to do is the interested person pays the deposit before moving in, and the month's rent when moving in. I always offer the option of a receipt, and this does not have to be anything fancy just both parties names, address, date and signature. It acts to secure it, as have had to choose between four good potentials before, and have never had any grievance over anyone paying the deposit. When I was renting myself I was always expected to give both straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Thanks for your replies, unfortunately however the place fell through :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement