Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Mgnt System GPS to limit speeds

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Sandwich wrote: »
    Just to clarify,I was thinking of it simply as a speeding impeding system rather thana surveilance/logging one.

ideally, that's what you would like it to be, but the reality is otherwise. in order for something like this to work it has to have the support of government to create legislature, as well as co-operation between all the car manufacturers so there's a standard interface or protocol. the investment is huge, and a government will be more likely to (a cynic would say only) support the effort if it can monetize (sp?) it. so, you do that by issuing fines or selling the data collected.

to do either, the data must be collected and stored. i'm not saying it's not impossible - each vehicle could for example maintain a database of roads and their limits, and each would be responsible for implementing restrictions. in that scenario only the vehicle needs to know where it is.

i still would not support it though. driver education, stiffer penalties, greater accountability and better infrastructure would save lives more effectively, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Clearly its not an off the shelf system,but its well within the capability of todays technology if we wanted it. Nor is financial cost an issue: road deaths cost 1.4bn /yr, other non fatal accidents even more. Legislation only requires the will to do the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Legislation only requires the will to do the right thing.

Amen. Who shall we vote in next time to do it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

GPS units to be fitted to all vehicle's Engine Management Systems to impose road specific speed limits according to a database maintained by the HSA.

I can certainly see such a system working on a voluntary basis. I dare say that insurance companies would be able to offer significant discounts to young drivers using such speed nanny devices.

I also think that cameras front and rear (or all sides if you like) on cars could be popular. No BB implications, data would only be stored locally, and discarded after a day/week/month. It would be very useful for resolving claims. Imagine having evidence of that f***er who scraped your car at the supermarket and drove away :) Given the price/size of webcams and flash memory, I'd say it could be done for a retail of €150-€200 (excluding installation).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I can certainly see such a system working on a voluntary basis. I dare say that insurance companies would be able to offer significant discounts to young drivers using such speed nanny devices.

I also think that cameras front and rear (or all sides if you like) on cars could be popular. No BB implications, data would only be stored locally, and discarded after a day/week/month. It would be very useful for resolving claims. Imagine having evidence of that f***er who scraped your car at the supermarket and drove away :) Given the price/size of webcams and flash memory, I'd say it could be done for a retail of €150-€200 (excluding installation).

As well as for mitigating blame where some idiot pulls out in front of you not leaving enough time to avoid, as happened a colleague last week, who is on first insurance and now has a written off car.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    As well as for mitigating blame where some idiot pulls out in front of you not leaving enough time to avoid, as happened a colleague last week, who is on first insurance and now has a written off car.
    Exactly.

Actually....

Patent pending!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Ahmmm,

What happens if you try to overtake someone at 100 kph and they're at 95 kph, you're stuck accross the lines for an awful long time.

Imagine the lawsuits, boneheaded idea imo.

Exactly.

Actually....

Patent pending!
    Damn.
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/youngdrivers/articles/121027/article.html
    Ahmmm,

What happens if you try to overtake someone at 100 kph and they're at 95 kph, you're stuck accross the lines for an awful long time.

Imagine the lawsuits, boneheaded idea imo.

True. Of course, if your car was restricted to 100kph, there really wouldn't be any benefit in overtaking a car doing 95kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Ahmmm,

Indeed, whats worse is what if those idiots you are overtaking decide to do the speed up while being overtaken strategy.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This is an idiotic idea dreamed up by idiots with no idea what they are on about.

Just because you are not breaking the posted speed limit on a road does not mean you are not speeding or being dangerous.

The real issue is bad driving not speeding.

If you think this is a good idea you clearly think that to eliminate speeding will eliminate road deaths - this is the sort of idiotic simplistic approach taken an rammed down the throats of the public and unfortunately regurgitated here on a sickeningly regular basis by people who have no idea or interest in motoring other than to post sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

RobAMerc wrote: »
    This is an idiotic idea dreamed up by idiots with no idea what they are on about.

Just because you are not breaking the posted speed limit on a road does not mean you are not speeding or being dangerous.

If you think this is a good idea you clearly think that to eliminate speeding will eliminate road deaths - this is the sort of idiotic simplistic approach taken an rammed down the throats of the public and unfortunately regurgitated here on a sickeningly regular basis by people who have no idea or interest in motoring other than to post sh*te.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

First of another stupid idea from the holier than thou brigade.

Technology has already been defeated !!!

Run one of these GPS/GSM Jammers and the GPS is rendered useless

gps_jammer_404.jpg

As for insurance concerns i was forced to fit a camera system in the car after a couple of dodgy incidents involving the other party THAT could gone against me if no witness was present:mad:

Check my Youtube, I intend on uploading all the **** driving and CYCLING :D i encounter
    http://www.youtube.com/eiredriving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

RobAMerc wrote: »

+1 on that.

I've got a solution for all them. Cart them off to Finland and leave them drive there. Over there, EVERYBODY drives at the speed limit, corners and all. That way, they will learn how to drive, not just how to manage the controls of the car.

Also, over there you are fined by the Police if you drive too slow. It's 20kph under the speed limit, I think, but I'm open to correction on that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ianobrien wrote: »
    Also, over there you are fined by the Police if you drive too slow. It's 20kph under the speed limit, I think, but I'm open to correction on that figure.

Its the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Its the same here

But is it enforced?

It is over there, as friends of mine were done for it, driving at 69kph on a 100kph section of road. The defence was that they were looking for a road off the main road, and the answer was, are you paying by cash, or credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

MODEDIT:

"don't feed the troll" image removed ...waay too big

and also ...please let the moderators decide who is and isn't a troll, mkay*

*thou shalt not backseat mod, in other words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

E92 wrote:
    Sweden, possibly the world's safest country to travel in has decided to raise their Motorway speed limit by 10 km/h
    Sweden, possibly the world's safest country has effective penalties.

Advertisement