Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[murmur]

Options
  • 04-08-2008 4:33pm

Has anyone ever heard of this? I only noticed it today. Basically when you see the signs, you ring the number and enter in a code, and it tells you the story of the area you're in. It's completely free and is pretty interesting.

The website for it is here and the Galway section is here, where you can click on the red markers to listen to the stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Has anyone ever heard of this? I only noticed it today. Basically when you see the signs, you ring the number and enter in a code, and it tells you the story of the area you're in. It's completely free and is pretty interesting.

The website for it is here and the Galway section is here, where you can click on the red markers to listen to the stories.
    quite clever really.:D:D

The phone number itself is 1800 264274

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What's the catch?

Sherifu wrote: »
    What's the catch?
    ????? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What's the catch?

Once you ring the number Batman can use your phone as a sonar device to locate bad guys and bust up any drug deals you are planning.

• Advertisement

Once you ring the number Batman can use your phone as a sonar device to locate bad guys and bust up any drug deals you are planning.
    brill.....:rolleyes: :eek:

Damn you, Adam West, damn you!

But as far as I can tell, there's no catch. I checked my credit after I rang it and there was no charge. There's a few of them around Galway according to the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

In that case, great!

I wonder who's funding it.

In that case, great!

I wonder who's funding it.

I've no idea. It's not a local thing anyway. There's a few locations around the world.

Actually I think the catch is that if you don't have an ROI number, then you get charged for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I can't imagine the signs staying around for long before some <choice of word> decides to remove it 'for the craic' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There certainly seems to be a ridiculous number of <choice of word>s that like to remove car wing mirrors for the laugh here in Galway.
    So many wing mirrors about town that are hanging down loose after some sort of violent collision making the car look like a miserable dog. Can't just be bad driving.

There certainly seems to be a ridiculous number of <choice of word>s that like to remove car wing mirrors for the laugh here in Galway.
    So many wing mirrors about town that are hanging down loose after some sort of violent collision making the car look like a miserable dog. Can't just be bad driving.
    some-thing to hold on to after a nite on the beer!!!
    ive seen it happen:eek:

It happened me once too.
    In my last car about 2 years ago. I wasn't living in Galway just up to go out with a mate.
    The day before, in Limerick, I had parked my car next to the house and a bunch of skobes decided to jump up and down on it, kick in the doors and kick off one of the wing mirrors.
    Parked my car on the street in Galway that night, and the next morning / early afternoon, woke up to find that someone else had kicked off the other wing mirror and all.
    At least it had a sense of symmetry to it.

Try it out for yourself - ring 1800 264274 and put in 437518 to listen to a story about Eyre Square.

It's totally free (from mobiles anyway, I don't know about landlines)

Try it out for yourself - ring 1800 264274 and put in 437518 to listen to a story about Eyre Square.

It's totally free (from mobiles anyway, I don't know about landlines)
    aint all 1800 nums free regardless???:confused:

minxie1 wrote: »

Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JamesStephens

I rang the number from outside Jade Winters and it spoke dirty to me, and told me I was hung like an elephant. Its a very good service. I rang it from Eyre square at 2am and it told me "what are ya looking at, ya gob" and then the phone started to hit me in the face. Brilliant interactivity.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There should be one from Dennis the wino or maybe Knacker Dwarf; for the real word on Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

SPOILERS ****IN HELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Actually I think the catch is that if you don't have an ROI number, then you get charged for the service.
    minxie1 wrote: »
    I don't think you can call 1800 numbers from international lines. It doesn't make any sense indeed, there is no way to make money from this, unless they are getting supplemented by the local authority. Alternately it could be another dot bomb idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

It doesn't make any sense indeed, there is no way to make money from this, unless they are getting supplemented by the local authority. Alternately it could be another dot bomb idea.

they aren't looking to make money from it.
    As you walk around Salthill and Galway city, you will have noticed the green ear shaped signs - featuring a telephone number - on various lampposts and telegraph poles.

These signs are a key part of [murmur]galway and they offer Galwegians and visitors to Galway a chance to get to know the city more intimately.

[murmur]galway is an innovative mobile phone-based audio storytelling pilot project. Anyone who calls the number on a green ear sign will be treated to a story and a history about the location or building the sign is in - and the call is free of charge.

Máire Holmes and Pauline Bermingham have been collecting the first batch of stories over the past few weeks and 22 of those stories are now available in 14 city locations through the [murmur] signs.

[murmur] uses mobile phones to share first-person narratives and location-specific stories that generally go unheard. The stories are in the storyteller’s own voice. They are personal and anecdotal in nature, and are naturally intertwined with history of that place.

[murmur] was an idea that originally developed in Canada. Now that is in Galway, it is being made possible through the support of Fáilte Ireland, the Galway City Council, and Gaillimh le Gaeilge.

More stories are being sought for the expansion of the project. Listeners will be encouraged to make their own stories available and Tomás Hardiman of Parzival Productions, producer of the project. Contact [murmur]galway by telephone 091 525915 or e-mail murmur@parzivalproductions.ie

I think if a person rings it from a non-ROI number they do get charged, as someone said. So they would be making money from tourists, I would presume.

Regardless, it's a fantastic idea and some of the stories are brilliant and really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Jaysus, the Mammy will love that site! Finally something she can use t'internet for! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

i know i know, zombie thread.. but does anyone know if this thing is dead.. just tried the number and got 'number not in service' and the production company mentioned in the press as being behind it here, Perzival Productions, has a website 'under construction'. would've been great if it had really kicked off with loads more contributions.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This website works
    http://galway.murmur.info/

You can try mailing info@murmur.info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

thanks Biko, was on that site already but thought someone local might know the story with it. suspect if I use that email I'll just get 'ask the local people running your local initiative'.. who as it happens are 'under construction'.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement