Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From train station to shopping centre..

• 04-08-2008 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Right ho, looking for some help, thinking of going to the Athlone town centre for some shopping, and going to get the train up from Galway.

How far is this shopping centre from the station? walking wise? It looks pretty good from the website, so don't know if Id bother going to the Golden Island or anything..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

Walking:

Station to town centre = 3mins. You can't miss it.
    Station to Golden Island = 10 mins.

TBH town centre is a cool place alright but there's nothing there really iirc, that Galway doesn't already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Cheers Coillcam!

coillcam wrote: »
    Walking:

Station to town centre = 3mins. You can't miss it.
    Station to Golden Island = 10 mins.

TBH town centre is a cool place alright but there's nothing there really iirc, that Galway doesn't already have.

It has the only promod in Ireland. :)
    It is a ****e one though. :(

Well either way a change of scenery can do wonders for you. Personally I like athlone and what it has to offer: some very decent people, good nightlife, a few cool shops that Mullingar's limited retail service does not have to offer and it's very accessible and compact so to speak.

Only really saying its not worth Ladpennworth's while, relative to what Galway has to offer that is. I suppose some of it is spite in my part towards to our incompetent irish rail "service". Why the hell I'll probably give them another cent eludes me. That said I know plenty of sound people working for them, swings and roundabouts imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

hey coillcam, I like athlone too but have you not found that the nite life has gone down hill over the last few months, I mean there isn't a range of different pubs anymore and the clubs to be honest aren't great..

• Advertisement

TBH Styer I haven't been to Athlone in about 3/4 months for beers. Last time I was down I headed for charlies for a couple of games of pool as my mate was finishing up in AIT, it was busy enough. Then onto the palace and it was wedged there. Bear in mind that was a Saturday night though. I've only been out a a few times and the only mediocre night was in Bozo's partly because the place stank of human feces.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Yeap that would be Bozo's ok!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

haven't been to bozo's in ages - think it changed it's name to cube or something - hm yes thought they sorted the smell - it was rank after the smoking ban

tbh most towns cities in Ireland now have pretty much the same re shopping - just consider it a day out somewhere new :)

Advertisement