Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good way to learn to use a mouse?

• 04-08-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to help someone get into computers and the internet / email and what not. The one problem I notice they're having is controlling the mouse, clicking, double clicking etc.

Anyone recommend a good no brainer game (not Solitare or one you really have to learn too much) or other method that might help them pick this up?

I'm gonna get them a new mouse which is optical which should be a good start on the control but reckon they'll still need some help with the usage.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tin_can_ted

im...LOST wrote: »

Just incase the OP isn't aware, the above link will not aid in the learning of mouse skills. Well, maybe a little, for about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

i have gotten people to draw pictures in MS Paint to get comfortable with using the mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theres other alternatives to the mouse of course. if they arent comfortable with the mouse they may do better with a graphic tablet. The Wacom Bamboo Fun brand is cheap and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have gotten people to draw pictures in MS Paint to get comfortable with using the mouse

Nice idea but not really suitable in this case.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Theres other alternatives to the mouse of course. if they arent comfortable with the mouse they may do better with a graphic tablet. The Wacom Bamboo Fun brand is cheap and reliable.

Not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. Thanks

• Advertisement

What kind of person are we on about here? Child? Elderly? Challenged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Play Solitaire

Gets them comfortable with Point, Click, Drag, Double click etc...

Most people get quick at it too...I use it to train people how to use a mouse and it usually works wonders

Overheal wrote: »
    What kind of person are we on about here? Child? Elderly? Challenged?

About 50ish years old. Is able to load up PC, login to gmail and write an email but mouse control means it takes far longer than it should !
    Ginger wrote: »
    Play Solitaire

Gets them comfortable with Point, Click, Drag, Double click etc...

Most people get quick at it too...I use it to train people how to use a mouse and it usually works wonders

They don't like Solitaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well if they are not willing just to play with it then its fairly down hill.. mouse control is just practice the same as most keyboard skills...

After that, find a mouse driven game such as bejewelled or something, but preferably something better than point and click

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Perhaps a trackball?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

if its a pc just turn off double click,setting all icons to open with a single click has been an option since win98, not sure why double click is still there

makes the pc feel much faster too

if its a laptop, turn off drag lock and tapping, as its difficult to get used to them

tell them to make a circle if they lose the arrow

mspaint is a good suggestion after that

Voice control has been a feature since XP. Just talk into a microphone, eg. "Start....All Programs....Accessories...Calculator....2 Plus 2 Equals....."

Also as another said a trackball mouse could work.

I think youre hoping for too much. My mom is 36 and im just happy she's figured out gmail - good luck getting her to figure out gtalk (inside of gmail!) or any of that.

Does the difficulty stem from poor motor control or is it arthrital? You can also enlarge the mouse pointer so its easier to see.

I really don't want to change how things work as default on Windows as this will mean any skills learnt will be limited to just one PC and there's be no room to cope with the unexpected Windows error message (which pop up all too often). This rules out things like audio control, special mice, etc.

The difficulty really just stems from leaving something new I guess .. just needs practice! Just was hoping something might help with the control .. sorta attacking the mouse at the moment .. I'll try Solitaire again and see how it works out I guess .. they might really get into it after a while ,..... who knows ..

Thanks for the suggestions anyway lads.

really, just give them a go at MS paint. they have more fun with it if you load up a pre-existing picture to draw funny moustaches onto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

http://jawbreaker.en.softonic.com/

This game for PC I think might be good, my 4yr old niece plays this and I think it helped her learn to use the mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

maybe the pointer is moving too fast, slow it down

Advertisement