Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf MKVI

Options
  • 04-08-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

These are suppose to be the first official pictures of the new mark VI. Not surprising the front looks like the Scirocco

1VWGolffirstpictures.jpg

5VWGolffirstpictures.jpg

7VWGolffirstpictures.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the rear lights look dreadful IMO. The doors are very Passat-ish, a step back visually from the Mk5 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Looks more like a Golf 5.5 than a Mk 6...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

AFAIK the glass and roof hasn't been changed.
    And it'll look even worse on 14" wheels with plastic hubcaps....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's a bit meh to be honest. The front looks like the new Scirocco with its hair pulled back. The rear lights aren't great either, they look out of proportion with the back of the car. The interior looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I, for one like it.It really is just a mk5.5 because the platform is exactly the same as the mk5, which is a good thing because that platform has the best mix of comfort and agility in its class.I'm not convinced the production model will be 100% exactly the same as this.I think the front should be slightly curvier and the rear lights should be a bit smaller.My main hopes for this car, though are under the bonnet.Hopefully we'll see, from launch, the all new 1.2TSI and 1.6TDI engines in action.These should be extremely competitve in terms of co2(Band B for the entry petrol and Band A for the entry diesels) which should mean fair pricing in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bland,

It has been designed to cut production costs of the current model because they can't make enough money from them.
    Expect even worse build quality, low spec and high price.

Typical VW...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Front is definately better than the back. Nice alloys in the first picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Its a very average looking car although I'm sure this will not deter the usual Golf buyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Comatose styling. VW is obviously terrified of messing with a proven formula, but I can't help thinking buyers these days want a bit more fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Comatose styling. VW is obviously terrified of messing with a proven formula, but I can't help thinking buyers these days want a bit more fair.

VW are probably of the opinion that if it ain't broke why fix it. It would be nice if they were a bit more adventurous like Honda were with the Civic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The rear lights look like they were lifted from the Toureag parts bin... seem out of proportion with the rest of it. Side profile looks very similar to the current car, just the doors have been re-shaped a bit and door strips removed too... watch out for door dings :(

As others have said, this is more of a MK 5.5 than an all-new model.

I like that new steering wheel though! And that brown leather looks good, interior is otherwise same as Scirocco!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Looks way nicer than the V IMO:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Wow, almost ugly. Not a big Golf fan but this really is bland. Looks like they merged the worst parts of the VW bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

"buyers" might want a bit more flare, but Golf buyers don't... they just want a Golf, and that's what they'll get in this, more of the same, updated just enough.
    Interior is an improvement, rest is sameness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Underwelming to say the least.

The folks who style the Golf must be the laziest designers in the world. Will appeal to previous and current Golf owners though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

It was taking twice the time to build a MK5 Golf than it did to build a Focus or an Astra. The Mk6 will have a simpler independant rear suspension appearantly and different non-independant suspension for the US!

The standard MK5 was bland as bland imo and needed to be a GTi or TSi to look any way special. MK6 looks margainly more distinctive but it'll be interesting to see how the GTi looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

my god, thats the most bland & boring looking thing I've seen since, well the Nissan Tida, I can feel myself turning beige just by looking at it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

5VWGolffirstpictures.jpg

I have to say, the rear looks very a3esque

a3rear.gif

Ferris wrote: »
    It was taking twice the time to build a MK5 Golf than it did to build a Focus or an Astra. The Mk6 will have a simpler independant rear suspension appearantly and different non-independant suspension for the US!

The standard MK5 was bland as bland imo and needed to be a GTi or TSi to look any way special. MK6 looks margainly more distinctive but it'll be interesting to see how the GTi looks.

I would think they left the european suspension untouched afterall.If they were to skimp on that, it could be a serious mistake!That said, i cant imagine the suspension on the back of a focus would be any less complex than the stuff at the back of the mk5 golf.The focus did still handle better afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I would think they left the european suspension untouched afterall.If they were to skimp on that, it could be a serious mistake!That said, i cant imagine the suspension on the back of a focus would be any less complex than the stuff at the back of the mk5 golf.The focus did still handle better afterall

Didn't know they left it the way it was. I would agree that it would have pushed the golf back into the stone age vs the Focus.

There is no way of knowing if the golf ind. suspension is similar to the focus in complexity. Maybe Ford just have better suspension engineers/suppliers. Also manufacturers have different acceptance standards for suspension. I suspect that VW got their design for manufacture all wrong for the MK5.

• Advertisement

Ferris wrote: »
    Didn't know they left it the way it was. I would agree that it would have pushed the golf back into the stone age vs the Focus.

There is no way of knowing if the golf ind. suspension is similar to the focus in complexity. Maybe Ford just have better suspension engineers/suppliers. Also manufacturers have different acceptance standards for suspension. I suspect that VW got their design for manufacture all wrong for the MK5.

The reason i would expect they left the suspension alone is because i'm sure vw can realise the risk they would be taking.All they needed to do, really is change the way its produced.The mk5 golf was and is considered still the be one of best if not the best car in its class.Not only does it have the usual golf merits but for the first time it can compete dynamically with its competitors.Its beensaid it has the best compromise of dynamic ablitity and comfort in tis class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

asthetically I am in the minority here but I like it.....I never warmed to the ugly grill of the current model and preferred the classic lines of the older models....just me.

wait till they bring out an r32 of the new model...it'll look savage.

Theres a lot more info on the Mk6 available today through the usual sources.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Volkswagen-Golf/234341/

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=234338

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/225987/allnew_golf_is_raring_to_go.html

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_2395.shtml

The actual look of it is no real surprise but the biggest advances are under the bonnet.I'm disappointed that the 80bhp 1.4 is still there.I would have at least expected a slight power hike.They have improved it, though.Its more economical than in the Mk5 and has lower emissions.

There is also a 105bhp 1.6 and i am led to believe that this is the same engine as in the new fabia and ibiza.Tbh, i thought these would be replaced by a new 1.2TSI but they still may be within a year of launch.They may not be fully developed yetAll of the other petrol engines appear to be the same

As for diesels, theres conflicting information in the links above as to whether the new base 90bhp diesel engine is 1.6 or 1.9.One things for sure, though.All diesels are common rail from launch.Surprisingly, the next in line is a 2.0 CR TDI producing 110bhp.I would have thought the diesel in this power bracket to be the smaller one but none the less, it produces just 119g CO2/Km, putting it in the 100e tax band.The other diesels are the 2.0 TDI in 140bhp and 170bhp outputs.There are also rumours of a 204bhp GTD, a diesel GTi

As for the new GTi, its going to be here by this time next year wiht the same engine, tweaked to give slightly more power and be much more fuel efficient and eco friendly.I suspect it'll be the new 211bhp 2.0Tfsi audi are soon putting in the A4/A5.Thats a good thing IMO because that engine i the A4 manages over 40mpg an Co2 emissions of around 155g/Km
    The next "R" golf is believed to be getting a 3.6 v6 producing over 280bhp.

It will be available in 3 or 5 door form from lauch with a new estate, plus model and cabrio following on after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

I would be very suprised if the MKVI GTI did not gain an additional 30-40 BHP over the MKV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Looks Like a Girls Car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Good lord STILL offering antiquated 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines, in this, a heavily facelifted car :eek:. All that said the petrol engines are likely to be of very little interest given that somewhere in the region of 85% of VWs sold are now diesel. So this complaint of mine isn't really important for this market methinks.

119 g/km from the 2.0 TDI 110 is identical to that of the BMW 118d it should be noted(though the BMW has an additional 33 bhp). How much is the betting that the world and his mother will be queueing up for the 1.6 with a measly 90 bhp though here of course:rolleyes:?

Good to see that the antiquated PD lumps have finally given way to the common rail units. This clearly is important for us.

If they could get that new engine from the A4 2.0 TFSI 211 in the Golf VI GTI then you would have an engine that develops no less than 51 lb ft of torque more than the Golf V GTI, so that will please all the torque lovers around here:D. Now if they can get it into 20% VRT(and they should be able to since Audi managed it in a much bigger car) it would be some car to have in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Horrible... just horrible.

Why would anyone get this when you could get a Scirocco?

E92 wrote: »
    Good lord STILL offering antiquated 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines, in this, a heavily facelifted car :eek:. All that said the petrol engines are likely to be of very little interest given that somewhere in the region of 85% of VWs sold are now diesel. So this complaint of mine isn't really important for this market methinks.

119 g/km from the 2.0 TDI 110 is identical to that of the BMW 118d it should be noted(though the BMW has an additional 33 bhp). How much is the betting that the world and his mother will be queueing up for the 1.6 with a measly 90 bhp though here of course:rolleyes:?

Good to see that the antiquated PD lumps have finally given way to the common rail units. This clearly is important for us.

If they could get that new engine from the A4 2.0 TFSI 211 in the Golf VI GTI then you would have an engine that develops no less than 51 lb ft of torque more than the Golf V GTI, so that will please all the torque lovers around here:D. Now if they can get it into 20% VRT(and they should be able to since Audi managed it in a much bigger car) it would be some car to have in this country.

Very disappointed with the basic petrols as well tbh.At least the 1.6 is now the 16v unit as opposed to 8v in Mk 5.I'm just wondering here, because the 110 TDi is under 120g co2/Km, it would be assumed that the 90 bhp 1.6 TDI is also below that, wouldnt it??Would it not also have been easier to use the 1.6 to get 110 bhp rahther than an unnecessarily big 2.0??I quite like the look of it, though and it would be brilliant if the A4 2.0 tfsi makes it into the new GTi

Also, all this talk of it being cheaper to make yet still having the same rear suspension set up, makes me wonder where exactly vw have managed to cut costs on the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Zonda999 wrote: »
    makes me wonder where exactly vw have managed to cut costs on the thing.

cheaper plastics, basic specs, more basic production methods, quality...

• Advertisement

Thats the thing, though.I cant see anything in the interior that makes it look like they cut costs.Even vw themselves say that they want the interior quality to match that of the Mk4.It just looks like its been done with a mix of parts from the eos, scirocco and tiguan and they all have fine interiors.We should see before too long...

Advertisement