Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV 3mb Broadband

Options
  • 04-08-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

A friend just got the 3mb package from UTV and he was saying how his speeds are way faster than 3mb, i popped around his house today and he set up a few mp3s to download and his speed was fluctuating between 500kb/s-1500kb/s

Is this the norm with UTV? :eek:

The mp3s were just off some website and he was downloading them through the download manager "downthemall"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Also do UTV have caps and do they enforce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭kaahooters

downladthem all isnt really a good tool for mesuring your dl speed, it tends to jump around and not give you a true dl speed.

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

try that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

He probably just got the upgrade to 7.6mb that all eircom resellers are getting- see other thread

kaahooters wrote: »
    downladthem all isnt really a good tool for mesuring your dl speed, it tends to jump around and not give you a true dl speed.

http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

try that

i could see each file and its download speed, 4 mp3s were downloading at about 200kb/s each and then it showed at the bottom what speed they all added up to

i didn't do a speed check when i was there, but he said he did a few times and its nearly different everytime 3mb-7mb

rc28 wrote: »
    He probably just got the upgrade to 7.6mb that all eircom resellers are getting- see other thread

carlow exchange isn't being upgraded until after september, i'm with BT and my connection is still the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Also do UTV have caps and do they enforce them?

Yes and Yes. For €6 extra a month they'll give you unlimited cap though.

carlow exchange isn't being upgraded until after september, i'm with BT and my connection is still the same

Well you could have checked his router's sync speeed to rule that out- some other users got the upgrade before they were supposed to get it (this weekend) and not everyone gets the upgrade anyway if their line doesn't pass the prequal test. If he is truly getting up to 7mb then that's the only explanation I can think of or they may just be doing tests on his line.

Alright, cheers will at least he's getting speeds that are too quick rather than too slow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i can get 1000kilobytes per second download if its a download that failed and:
    A) is in UTV's proxt server cache
    B) Firefox has already downloaded it/some of it

Yes,they enforce limits, its 10euro per GB, but its 5 or 6 euro to have unlimited downloads

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i can get 1000kilobytes per second download if its a download that failed and:
    A) is in UTV's proxt server cache
    B) Firefox has already downloaded it/some of it

Yes,they enforce limits, its 10euro per GB, but its 5 or 6 euro to have unlimited downloads

These were brand new downloads

• Advertisement

These were brand new downloads
    A then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Just got my 3MB from UTV today and my router says I'm on 5MB broadband :eek:

Dunno why, don't think my exchange was upgraded.

My router says I'm on 5MB but I'm only getting 600KB min to 2300KB max download speed. Anyone know what could be wrong ?

cian1500ww wrote: »
    My router says I'm on 5MB but I'm only getting 600KB min to 2300KB max download speed. Anyone know what could be wrong ?

You mean kb? because 2300KB would be amazing for a 5mb connection!
    I presume those results are from a speedtest site like this? If not then download speeds depend on the server and how many people are using it.

You mean kb? because 2300KB would be amazing for a 5mb connection!
    I presume those results are from a speedtest site like this? If not then download speeds depend on the server and how many people are using it.
    Yep sorry mate, heres my latest results:
    305149751.png

Yep sorry mate, heres my latest results:
    305149751.png

Wow that's terrible ping too. Can you please post your line stats from your router's home page (attenuation and noise margin/snr). Is this only since you got the upgrade to 5mb or have speeds always been this crap? If your line is syncing at 5 then technically it should be able to get close to those speeds or else it would sync at a lower rate. It could be your router, a faulty filter that is causing troube. Try connecting the phone line from the router directly into the main wall socket and unplug all other filters/extensions in the house to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise you will have to call UTV and report a fault.

And again:
    305151399.png

Wow that's terrible ping too. Can you please post your line stats from your router's home page (attenuation and noise margin/snr). Is this only since you got the upgrade to 5mb or have speeds always been this crap? If your line is syncing at 5 then technically it should be able to get close to those speeds or else it would sync at a lower rate. It could be your router, a faulty filter that is causing troube. Try connecting the phone line from the router directly into the main wall socket and unplug all other filters/extensions in the house to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise you will have to call UTV and report a fault.
    The thing is I upgraded to 3MB but I am getting 5MB :confused::confused:
    I've already reported the fault too and the UTV support could hear crackling on the line when I was talking to them.

--- DSL Information ---
    DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB021c.d17m
    DSL VPI/VCI: 8/35
    DSL Status: Showtime
    DSL Channel: INTR
    DSL Upstream Rate: 512 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 5120 Kbps

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 11.7 dB 12.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 39.0 dB 21.0 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 19.7 dBm 3.7 dBm

I'll try connecting it direct in a few minutes.

The thing is I upgraded to 3MB but I am getting 5MB :confused::confused:
    I've already reported the fault too and the UTV support could hear crackling on the line when I was talking to them.

--- DSL Information ---
    DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB021c.d17m
    DSL VPI/VCI: 8/35
    DSL Status: Showtime
    DSL Channel: INTR
    DSL Upstream Rate: 512 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 5120 Kbps

Down up
    DSL Noise Margin: 11.7 dB 12.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation: 39.0 dB 21.0 dB
    DSL Transmit Power: 19.7 dBm 3.7 dBm

I'll try connecting it direct in a few minutes.
    Yes you moved to 3mb but this package is currently being upgraded by eircom to 7.6mb (see other thread and utv is an eircom reseller) even though utv/eircom don't advertise this yet as it's happening in a phased basis ie some are getting it this weekend, some got it a week ago.Ok your attenuation corresponds to what you should be syncing at(5mb) but your snr(noise margin) could be improved. However, i think there is definitely a fault on your line as your speed and ping is ridiculously bad and you also say you hear crackling on the line. You're just going to have to wait for eircom to fix it if utv logged a fault with them.

Yes you moved to 3mb but this package is currently being upgraded by eircom to 7.6mb (see other thread and utv is an eircom reseller) even though utv/eircom don't advertise this yet as it's happening in a phased basis ie some are getting it this weekend, some got it a week ago.Ok your attenuation corresponds to what you should be syncing at(5mb) but your snr(noise margin) could be improved. However, i think there is definitely a fault on your line as your speed and ping is ridiculously bad and you also say you hear crackling on the line. You're just going to have to wait for eircom to fix it if utv logged a fault with them.
    Thanks for that, UTV have logged the fault with eircom so I'm hoping it shouldn't take too long. Tried connecting it directly and it made no difference.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, UTV have logged the fault with eircom so I'm hoping it shouldn't take too long. Tried connecting it directly and it made no difference.

seriously, best of luck trying to get any results from that

lmimmfn wrote: »
    seriously, best of luck trying to get any results from that
    I only have my BB with UTV the line rental and phone is with eircom. There is crackling on the phone as well as the BB being affected as well. It is solely eircoms problem.

I only have my BB with UTV the line rental and phone is with eircom. There is crackling on the phone as well as the BB being affected as well. It is solely eircoms problem.
    ahh no, im with you on that and feel your pain, i just mean good luck getting it sorted, ive had that for 6 months now and im moving house because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Make sure it's not the phone itself that's crackling. Try using another one to test. If it is the line, get eircom to get an engineer to do a PSTN test on your line. Since you pay them for it, and not UTV, then they should have no problems in sending an engineer (free of charge) to your exchange to do the test and make any needed repairs.

If/when that's all done, let's see how your broadband copes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Hi.
    This is fighting irish's friend.
    Thank's for all the replies.
    I have an unlimited 3mb pacage from pure/newtel who use utvinternet for their broadband.
    I'm not complaining about speeds I'm getting
    I'm just curious as to whether I really am getting speeds higher than i should be, or is it just that I don't understand this speed thing at all.
    I asked pure/newtel on two different occassions what my speed is, and was told
    it was 3.
    I downloaded Netmeter (thanks for that suggestion)
    Then using firefox and down them all
    i downloaded files from
    http://www.montesol.org/sound/mp3/CJ.htm
    here is what is says in netmeter
    peak upload 53.7 kib/s
    peak download 836.4 kib/s
    average upload 0.6 kib/s
    average download 7.3 kib/s
    average upload and download 8.0 kib/s

so there is a big difference between peak and average.
    here is what it says in the log
    Date,Download,Upload
    13/08/2008,48046792,4027232

i clicked on network connections
    my 1394 connection says
    speed 400.0 mbps
    my local area connection says
    speed 100.0 mbps
    sppedtest from eircom
    Result: 5798kbps

M

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

it was explained to me that just you have a 4mb connection, doesn;t mean you can't get faster downloads.
    M

Advertisement