Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question.

Options
  • 04-08-2008 6:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

A friend said that for some places you can use an E in a HL paper for a pass in an ordinary. Any truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

nope, a fail is a fail. from past experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

A friend said that for some places you can use an E in a HL paper for a pass in an ordinary. Any truth?

No thats not true because you dont get any points for a HL fail but you do get points for an OL pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

YES IT'S TRUE !!!!!!!!!

this is from sligo IT website

The normal minimum entry requirements for Higher Certificate (Level 6) and Ordinary Degree (Level 7) Courses are 5 grade Ds in Leaving Certificate Examinations ordinary level including English or Irish and Mathematics. An E in Higher Level Mathematics is accepted for the entry requirement. There are certain exceptions such as where a language is required.

however i'd say you would get 0 points for the E. Plus dunno about other subjects or colleges.

and the E will do for the level 8 honours degree as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

IT's in Athlone, Tallaght, Dundalk, Letterkenny and Sligo, depending on the course. Also, there are courses in lots of places that don't have any maths requirement.

Here's a handy master list (see the column headed "maths"):
    http://www.igc.ie/download/1/Directory%20LCER%2008%20Entry.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

nope, a fail is a fail. from past experience!!
    Well a fail might be a fail, but an E certainly isn't.

according to the career guidance councellors website in some places where the minimum entry requirement is 2HC3 & 4OD3 , the 2HC3 can be replaced by 1HE & 3HC3 or 1HE, 1HC3 & 1HB3. Seems the E can be in any subject but i could be wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Thats what I meant! Can you link me to that?

Thanks so much for all the replies.

yeah just hang on for a few mins.....this computer is as slow as a brick

nah link wont come up......computers feked

just go to www.igc.ie and on the right under 'recent publications' u will see the 2nd one down as 'directory of LC entry requirements 08 entry'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Cheers for that. I found it but cant find anything about it on it.

i did 'control f' and typed in HE so it would find it for me

it will find words like other and chemistry first but u shud find HE after a minute

awkward to read cos its sideways haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Best bet is checking with your individual university what their specific entry requirements are. They can vary, so some universities may not accept it while others do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Yep, this is true. I know for a fact that a girl got into commerce in UCC after getting a HE in geography.

Advertisement