Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crank brothers

Options
  • 04-08-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

does anyone use the crank bros eggbeaters? any good? how do they compare against shimano spds apart from looks and price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

From what I have read SPDs do tend to be more durable but many prefer the engagement mechanism on the Eggbeaters. Eggbeaters also have 4 clip in points vs 2, which may make them easier to clip into, especially off road. I believe eggbeaters also get lighter than SPDs and clear mud better due to the more open design. Worth bearing in mind that the tension is not adjustable on Eggbeaters although I believe that due to the design this may not really be necessary.

Have never used them, SPD man myself. Very happy with SPDs, don't go off road so mud not a big issue, although even on road I have occasionally got mud lodged into the pedal so I can see how the more open Eggbeater design could be a benefit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I've been using a pair of Eggbeaters on my race bike this season. I'm not too keen on them though - I find them quite hard to clip into when under pressure. There also isn't any platform so your feet can wander about a bit. I've used Time ATACs prior to this and prefer them. That said, I know loads of people who swear by the Eggbeaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

thanks for the feedback. good point about not having much surface space which is needed when you are in a hurry to get moving. crank brothers look good and are light but i think the time atacs may be more like what im looking for. either that or xt spds. are there any other good makes out there?

just noticed you can this version of crank bros

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13011
    which would solve the issue of surface space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Time ATACs are what I use, great pedals altogether.

• Advertisement

just noticed you can this version of crank bros

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13011
    which would solve the issue of surface space.
    You lose two of the key benefits of Eggbeaters there though, light weight and four clip-in points.

seen an add for these for 80euro, bit pricey but they look the schnizel.:pac:

im thinking either these or a set of xtr in chain reaction or xt as shimano have never let me down before.what you reckkon/>

Reckon XTR will be bulletproof but (slighty) heavy, the CrankBros stuff will be slightly less so but lighter. As above, technique will be different.

Also, if considering XTR pedals AFAIK the XT ones are identical mechanically, just slightly heavier (and a fair bit cheaper.)

I have Powerplay Force pedals myself which I'm very happy with- 300g a pair and inexpensive. Also have Xpedo which are great but difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'm a long time user of eggbeaters. I find them much better than my previous Time ATACs. I've never used SPDs. The platform version of the Eggbeaters are my favourite pedal. They still have 4 sided entry of sorts, as the eggbeater part rotates with the platform. The mag version is pretty light too.

However, they are very delicate, and they have a tendancy to disintegrate over time. I'll probably switch to SPDs soon because of this.

• Advertisement

well i have finally ended up getting the xtr pedals from chain reaction cycles 79 euro with postage pretty good considering one shop i went into was looking for 120.

a fella in a shop pushed me towards them based on overall quality and spindle movement.anyone use these?

From what I read, although not the absolute lightest XTR are exceedingly high quality and very durable (and they aren't that far off on the weight either.)

well they aint cheap but probably the only bit of kit from xtr that i can afford. to be honest i had a look at the crank bros sl and the xtr in the shop and xtr looked far better, not as fancy but far better quality wise. weight wasnt way off either. :pac:

Advertisement