Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labrador

Options
  • 04-08-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking to get a Labrador but the OH think they're too big and we don't have a big enough back garden for it (it's a fairly average back garden maybe 40 x 20)

is there certain breeds of Labrador that are smaller than others? would the size of the back garden be a problem for a Labrador?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I really don't think its the size of the garden that counts here. Give a dog a five acre garden, leave it to its own devices, and it'll still just sit at the back door, waiting for someone to come out and interact with it. On the whole, gardens are very boring for dogs. The average backgarden of a semi-detached house is nothing more than an open-air holding pen for any dog, if it has to stay out there all day and is not allowed into the house to mix with the family. Such dogs quickly become bored, lonely and frustrated - and that's where destructive habits like barking, digging, chewing etc. begin. A Labrador is a working dog, with great energy. Don't even consider taking on a Lab unless you are committed to teaching him or her to walk nicely on a loose leash, and will walk him or her for an hour or two a day. If you want a truly happy Lab though, you're going to have to go further than that, and get involved with games, toys and activities that the dog enjoys. Labs are such bouncy dogs and love the freedom to run and romp, so at least occasional runs offlead on the beach, woods etc. are essential IMO.

If what you're offering is the run of the backgarden and a wooden kennel while you're out at work all day, my advice to you is do not get a Lab. It would be completely unfair.

So many people buy Labs because there's a common perception out there that they are child-friendly. They need the same amount of work and input as any other dog though. When people don't realise that, and don't train the dog, it inevitably ends up in rescue before it's twelve months old, because it's grown big and strong, jumps up at the kids in excitement, pulls like a train on the lead because it's never been taught, and pees everywhere because it was never let in the house and so has never been housetrained. It's very hard for rescue groups to find homes for exuberant, adolescent Labs with no manners, let me tell you.

Please think long and hard about this, and look at it from the dog's perspective.

Hope this helps.

PS Why are you considering a Lab, specificially? There's no variation in size, only colour - yellow, chocolate and black. If you are going to get a Lab, please be very careful if you are purchasing one. If you go looking for a dog through the small ads, you're taking a big risk. The pup will probably have been bred by someone who is more interested in making a few quid than in producing healthy dogs. Rescue groups around the country are heaving with adult Labs and Lab crosses. Some of these dogs will already be very well-behaved and so sweet-tempered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hi thanks for such a detailed response, I have been thinking about it for the last 12 months or so there's no problem with the dog being allowed in the house and I would be more than willing to put in an hour or two a day I live beside the phoenix park so this would be ideal i thought for the dog.

the one problem is we do both work so there would be no one at home during the day I have no problems with the dog being in the house during the day but would a lab suffer alone for that amount of time?

boomerang wrote: »

PS Why are you considering a Lab, specificially? There's no variation in size, only colour - yellow, chocolate and black. If you are going to get a Lab, please be very careful if you are purchasing one. If you go looking for a dog through the small ads, you're taking a big risk. The pup will probably have been bred by someone who is more interested in making a few quid than in producing healthy dogs. Rescue groups around the country are heaving with adult Labs and Lab crosses. Some of these dogs will already be very well-behaved and so sweet-tempered.

There's no specific reason for the lab other than I really like lab's I really warmed to any lab I've interacted with the fact that they're generally kid friendly aswell is a bit of a bonus.

I was looking at some breeders on gumtree they were looking for 250e

I've been looking around the dog homes too and haven't came across many

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Well... a labrador is a labrador is a labrador - as in if you have a pedigree dog it should conform to Kennel Club breed standards & therefore be within a certain size & weight range. Having said that, there are pedigree labs that are smaller & larger than the standard and perhaps seeing the parents would give you an idea of the size a pup might grow to but then again, it may not.

Another option would be a labrador cross - if the other breed in there is smaller than a lab, then the resulting pups are much likely to be smaller. Rescues across the country are overfull with labrador cross-breeds and perhaps an older pup - 6months plus or young adult might suit you, as you would then have a very good idea of the final size of the dog.

HOWEVER - and I'm sure other posters will re-iterate this - the size of the dog bears no correlation to the space it requires inside or outside of the house or its exercise requirements. Many times other posters have pointed out how little space & exercise a greyhound requires. Compare this to the average terrier. And no matter how big the garden, spending time alone in it will not fulfill a dogs requirement for exercise. I have a labrador & 7 acres of garden & fields. If I left him outside on his own, he would sit on the doorstep - same for our Jack Russell. Yet go out & hit or throw a few tennis balls & it's a very different story. A dogs main requirement is interaction with you. As long as they are getting that, most dogs are pretty adaptable about everything else.

So, if you do want to get a dog, maybe have a think about what you can offer a dog - in terms of interaction, exercise, etc - rather than selecting a breed & then trying to work out what it would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It really depends on the dog. You certainly couldn't leave a puppy alone for that length of time, under any circumstances. But if you adopt an adult dog from a rescue group, they may point you in the direction of a dog that is used to being on its own during the day. Ideally, someone would need to be popping in to the dog around lunchtime to break up the day, or alternatively, you could employ a dogwalker two or three times a week while you're out - but that is expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Sorry - my previous post crossed over with boomerangs & your responses - must learn to type faster...

Personally, I don't think labs do well left on their own because they are such people dogs. Have had two labs & other dogs at same time but labs really don't seem to get much from having another dog as company & I think being left alone brings out the worst traits in a lab (& probably lots of other breeds as well) - chewing, barking & then OTT hyper when their beloved owner does return.

LisaO wrote: »
    Sorry - my previous post crossed over with boomerangs & your responses - must learn to type faster...

Personally, I don't think labs do well left on their own because they are such people dogs. Have had two labs & other dogs at same time but labs really don't seem to get much from having another dog as company & I think being left alone brings out the worst traits in a lab (& probably lots of other breeds as well) - chewing, barking & then OTT hyper when their beloved owner does return.

Yeah it's looking like a lab is not an option :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's not ideal to leave a dog alone all day and definetly not a puppy. would you consider a quieter breed like a greyhound? they are really a great option. you could adopt a pair as they love company of their own kind, are very quiet, love to sleep a lot! and only need about 30 mins to 1hr exersize a day.

you could also adopt a pair of dogs of another breed if you wanted. as long as they have some company during the day, and maybe if somebody could come in during the day and take them out for a little walk or even just keep them company for a while. (hire a dog walker or ask a neighbour/friend/relative etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

well this is how he started...

Image061.jpg

and this is him now

DSCF0999.jpg

He's big and very strong. He's trained to walk properly but needs a strong arm just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I have one myself, huge lump. Initially I was getting quite desperate about training him a bit for hunting/retrieving, he was just as thick as a short plank but the last couple of months he's just matured something unbelievable ( he's about 2 now ). He's just grasping anything you want him to do with a bit of gentle coaxing and a treat or two and seems to be taking great enjoyment out of getting a bit of low key training. One thing that still has to happen : I have to get it his carthorse behaviour on the lead out of him though, any suggestions ? I don't want him half choked all the time with me pulling one way and him the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Onkle I love your dog he is the bee knee's and looks to be great fun.

Meathstavie have you tryed a harness or head collar ? You must stand your ground with this breed and they will respond well, even just make a point of stopping on the side of the road before you cross and show him your not going any were until you decide it's time, helps him look before he leaps in to traffic as well. Don't be a afraid to discipline him and always reward for good behaviour. Make a point of always going through doors and gates before him so he knows your the boss and say were your going not him. If he's pulling on the lead stop dead in your tracks and don't move on until he leaves some slack on the lead this will take time but worth it even if you have to stop step by step. Hope that helps some what.

Ntlbel I have to agree with most on what has already been said, I grow up with labs and rough collies, they were breed to work, sitting still is not easy for them and they are always looking to people for the next thing to do, I love them but and have a rough collie at present and he's like an energiser bunny, in your face to play and go for walks and talk to him and follows you every were and just never lets up, I'm finding it hard to place him in a home with people who will be home during the day to interact with him, I am away the odd day for hours and when I come home I don't get a moments peace as he's up in my face wanting to play football or go for a walk, I also have a very nice grey hound who finds it hard to keep up with him as he enjoys just lazying around (he does have a happy hour too) but nothing like the collie, when we go for walks I sometimes have to leave the grey hound home early as he just can't keep up and wears out easier. Grey hounds and lurcher's are really great and love you when your home and happy to sleep all day until you return or maybe two older terriers that are quiet but what ever you choose get two if your a way all day I'm sure there's an older teen some were that would be happy to walk them after school for a few bob.

Good luck in your choose and remember your decision should be for live not a see how it go's try fostering older dogs and see how you get on, you might even find the right on that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

does the dog have to be a pure breed lab??? i have a black lab cross and she has lab temperment and looks but she is alot smaller than a lab of the same age, she's not small but she is by no means "lab size"

as for company, when i first got her i didnt have another dog and she was a bit of a terror chewing everything, i have since gotten a rescue shi tzu cross and she has calmed down an awful lot.

its so much better to have two. i mean i work all day so my two are out in the garden but ive often spotted them playin little games with each other and that, whereas before she used just sit at the door whinging to be left in!

She is full of beans tho! i could bring her for an 8 mile walk and she'd still be bouncing off the walls!

this is her a few months old
    007.jpg

a few months ago
    080.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Same size garden as you OP its perfect.As said earlier you gotta get them out and active, two 40 min sessions is fine for my fella , he sleeps alot :).Im lucky enough to have a large wood and beach across the road from me where i can let him off the lead as its so quiet.When he is inside the house he has the run of the place because he likes to be in company even when he nods off:rolleyes:A quick brush everyday keeps hair around the house to a minimum.They are great dogs OP but just be sure you are already active, don't say il get active now if i get a dog.
    My fella
    DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    Naptime.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Spica

I have a 3 years old labrador - a large size one - and garden same size as you. I was worried of the dog being bored during the day when i am at work and at the beginning I was video-taping him to see what he was doing during the day...well the dog just sleeps all day long!!! Then he's happy to be with me when I get home and he gets 2-3 walks a day, before and after i go to work. My dog seems happy and the biggest damage he did in the garden was just a bit of gardening with my flowers pots...:)
    I know my lab is very laid back so I suppose I was just lucky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

everyone has gorgeous dogs! the last picture is really cute.

Advertisement