Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do phobias sometimes just go away?

• 04-08-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

I've wondered about this for a while.
    About 5 years back, and all my life previous to that, I have had a fear of spiders that have caused me panic attacks. The day an average sized one walked on me, I am sure my heart actually stopped. If I seen a spider anywhere in the house, I would not sleep that night thinking about it.

All of a sudden though, about those 5 years ago, this fear just went away by itself. It began with me not being fearful of the little small ones or the silly looking daddy long leg ones, and from there it expanded into most spiders.

Now today, I know for a fact that three of them live in my bedroom, and a number more around the house, and it doesn't bother me at all. I would try not to kill any spider I find in the house and just scoop them up (in a cup) and throw them outside.

In saying that though, a good old tarantula would still set the voicebox screaming, and if I find a stupidly big one in the house, I kill it. But on the whole, spiders don't scare me anymore and I don't know why.

Anyone else ever have a phobia that just went away?

Advertisement