Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I seek to overturn my ban?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭

Been banned from the soccer forum for a week for so called "abuse".

It happened in the Shels XI v Celtic XI thread.

Dub 13 told me to post here if I wanted to appeal my ban.

Through some mutual friends I know a poster (who is also a Moderator) who goes by his first name as his moniker (obviously I do not want to inflame the situation by publishing his name again). I presumed he knew me and I called him by his second name on a thread. He hit the roof and said I was trying to intimidate him so within a minute of posting it I retracted it again in order not to cause offence.

I apologised twice to him in the couple of minutes it took a Mod to get to the thread... even after he abused me.

As a result of this I request that my ban be reviewed and overturned. Why should I be banned for abuse when none occured on my part, yet I was abused by the poster? I feel that I have been banned cos the poster is also a Moderator on here, I did nothing to warrant a week's ban and I have stooped to the level of the poster (and Moderator) that got me banned.

There is also occurences of racism on the same thread that has been ignored. See my posts on the thread for further proof.

Thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

linky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Links to the thread/posts always help

A weeks ban, I'd say take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

jhegarty wrote: »
    linky ?

I don't have a link cos I'm banned from the forum!

Much appreciated if someone could provide it.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Links to the thread/posts always help

A weeks ban, I'd say take it.

For doing nothing wrong?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Log out, you can see it.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Log out, you can see it.

Nice one - here you go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344476

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Which of the 15 pages is it on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You bastard.

What, exactly, was your reason for posting my surname?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mostly deleted posts.

You deserve all the abuse you took in that thread by the way.

You halfwit.

• Advertisement

I presumed he knew me

What made you presume that?

You idiot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ok enough of the conspiracy's theories.

You posted private info from a user on a public forum,I reacted to a reported post and while going through the infraction process I saw that you were then claiming he was a mate.I sent off a quick PM to the user asking what the story was,I did not want to issue a ban if it was a genuine misunderstanding.

I am not going to make that conversation public but surfactant to say it does not help your case.

Some people dont mind there names been put on a public forum other do,I am not here to decide if you are mates with the said user.If the user had of said it was a misunderstanding we could have over looked it.That did not happen.

I think a one week ban is lenient.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Some people dont mind there names been put on a public forum other do,I am not here to decide if you are mates with the said user.If the user had of said it was a misunderstanding we could have over looked it.That did not happen.

It wasn't a misunderstanding.

I STILL don't know who this numpty is.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    I think a one week ban is lenient.

I think you need to set your priorities straight.

Des your sir name is all over the Boards Team forum....it's not difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hmmm, a rethink on the ban maybe?

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Des your sir name is all over the Boards Team forum....it's not difficult to find.

What?

My name hasn't been posted on the Team Forum since september last year, nearly a year ago.

Only one of the posts refer specifically to me.

That took some digging on this muppets behalf if that's where he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thats not something i'd go having babies about now... one week, just take it and move on.

Des wrote: »
    What?

My name hasn't been posted on the Team Forum since september last year, nearly a year ago.

Only one of the posts refer specifically to me.

That took some digging on this muppets behalf if that's where he got it.
    Not saying i agree with him posting your name btw

just that i was able to find it based just on what i know of you on boards.

(ah yeah and one of the threads was deleted and perhaps "all over" is hyperbolic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The user is of course, wrong to post any private details about another poster. I think a week's ban is fine as far as the offence goes, given the apologetic attitude of the user in thread.

As far as Des is concerned, I know I've read his surname before on boards.ie, so I don't quite understand why he's hit the roof with this one. Take it easy, lad.

The user is of course, wrong to post any private details about another poster. I think a week's ban is fine as far as the offence goes, given the apologetic attitude of the user in thread.

As far as Des is concerned, I know I've read his surname before on boards.ie, so I don't quite understand why he's hit the roof with this one. Take it easy, lad.

It's the way in which it was posted.

Threatening and menacing.

"I know who you are" kind of thing.

His claims to the contrary are complete bullshít, how could I be expected to know who he is, given his username, and complete lack of interaction with the person in my time on boards.

The fact that I am also banned from soccer for reacting, for a longer period, is also a joke.

• Advertisement

Not going to get involved in a slanging match with someone here.

I didn't get the person's name off the internet, we know each other in "real life".

So I'm after getting banned for something that has been posted on here many times? Seems a bit ott to me.

Is the other poster getting banned for all the name calling?

It's the way in which it was posted.

Threatening and menacing.

"I know who you are" kind of thing.

His claims to the contrary are complete bullshít, how could I be expected to know who he is, given his username, and complete lack of interaction with the person in my time on boards.

The plot thickens, I see what you mean
    The fact that I am also banned from soccer for reacting, for a longer period, is also a joke.

Not sure about that one, if the first quote above is correct, maybe you were justified in what you said.

we know each other in "real life".
    But you still haven't told me who you are?

Bizarre.
    Is the other poster getting banned for all the name calling?

I am thanks, you idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

There does seem to be a lack of consistency, and disproportionality, with the bannings in soccer compared to other forums.

The plot thickens, I see what you mean

Not sure about that one, if the first quote above is correct, maybe you were justified in what you said.

There was no "intimidation" or "I know who you are" or being threatening or menacing... why would I delete the thread and apologise twice if that was what I was trying to do?

I am not an abusive poster, I have not abused anyone. In fact I am the one who was subject, and still is subject, to the abuse.

I have not reacted to it in any way thus I feel my ban is very harsh.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

But you still haven't told me who you are?

Bizarre.

He said he only knows you through mutual friends, maybe your reaction has embarrassed him a little and now he doesn't want to say who he is because you're taking this so seriously. Who knows.

I've read through the thread there and it really does look to me like you've gotten the wrong end of the stick

I sympathise with you bobbysands81, but I cannot see the deleted posts, and Des may have been right, only SMods and Admins can see them and make the final decision I imagine.

There was no "intimidation" or "I know who you are" or being threatening or menacing... why would I delete the thread and apologise twice if that was what I was trying to do?
    It was.
    I am not an abusive poster, I have not abused anyone. In fact I am the one who was subject, and still is subject, to the abuse.
    It wasn't "abuse" per se, so being banned for that is a bit of a joke.

But still.

What were you trying to achieve posting my name?

If we are "friends" in real life, or acquaintances, I'm STILL waiting to find out by the way, why couldn't you just have asked me if I minded before you did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its hard to figure out inflections through text media.

Reading the original post while ignoring what followed I couldn't be sure if it was familiarity or menace. If you know Des personally, you should perhaps conclude the matter off boards rather than continue it on boards.ie where it just continues to antagonize.

Des, your two week ban is based on the several abusive posts you made after the fact. You know well enough that provocation is no excuse to react how you did and your ban is just as lenient.

Aside from all this, I always assumed that Des's name was common knowledge on boards.ie and Des was comfortable with this.

I don't know what final decisions you think need to be made here. OP banned for posting someone's personal details in the forum (we've banned for this before), everyone else was banned for abuse, trolling or ignoring mod warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Bizarre situation to say the least. Bobbysands why wont you confirm with des how you know him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement