Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I seek to overturn my ban?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Des wrote: »
    Well, they are all in this thread.
    Yeah, thats about 6+ examples of personal abuse in one thread alone.

You're really not helping yourself on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, thats about 6+ examples of personal abuse in one thread alone.

You're really not helping yourself on this one.

Hardly "all over the site" though.

wtf was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Onkle nailed it with the speeding thread. Add that one and this one and its not a pretty picture. Thing is its probably just stress or something as you used to be one of the more laid back folk on here and one of the better contributors.

6th wrote: »
    Onkle nailed it with the speeding thread. Add that one and this one and its not a pretty picture. Thing is its probably just stress or something as you used to be one of the more laid back folk on here and one of the better contributors.

Two threads, three when you include today's in Soccer.

In what, four years?

Nice.

Nice rep I've got.

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Is there something paranormal that I have missed here 6th?

Des is pished off, bobby is pished off and everynoddy has jumped up and down. Feedback would be so much easier without other people.

Is amazing how actions in three or four threads and a brush with danger with dimitri can tarnish a rep des :)

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be a feedback thread if 6th didn't get his oar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Des is pished off, bobby is pished off and everynoddy has jumped up and down. Feedback would be so much easier without other people.

Is amazing how actions in three or four threads and a brush with danger with dimitri can tarnish a rep des :)

Feedback - other people = Helpdesk

Two threads, three when you include today's in Soccer.

In what, four years?

Nice.

Nice rep I've got.

Jesus.

No one is saying you are an asshole ... just that you've been acting like one lately.

I think Des might be possessed. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Des can you really say its other people making you look bad in this thread? Seriously, you're not an idiot.

Bottom line.

It's not so much the frequency as the ferocity of the abuse tbh.

It would be a shame to concede a valid point over not keeping ones temper in check.

No one is saying you are an asshole ... just that you've been acting like you lately.

:)

Er.....thanks?

• Advertisement

>_> ninja edit >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I wasn't having a go Des, just making a point. TBH the abuse you gave KBannon in the AH thread I mentioned earlier really turned my stomach and you went down a few points in my book and then reading this thread just reminded me of it.

Maybe you need to bite your tongue (well fingers)

I know mods are only mods in their own section but carrying a mod tag in other forums means you should be leading by example and what you did wasn't personal abuse, it was a tirade of abuse

Onkle wrote: »
    I wasn't having a go Des, just making a point. TBH the abuse you gave KBannon in the AH thread I mentioned earlier really turned my stomach and you went down a few points in my book and then reading this thread just reminded me of it.
    And I did my time for it.
    Maybe you need to bite your tongue (well fingers)
    Right so.
    I know mods are only mods in their own section but carrying a mod tag in other forums means you should be leading by example
    These two things don't go together though.

Why should I let my modding of one forum affect my use of another.

I don't mod AH, I'd ban someone for that abuse in my forums, I expected a ban from AH, and I got it.

Mods aren' mods in the forums we don't mod, and we DO get banned from them from time to time.

I said the same thing you said in the Mod forum some time ago, by the way, but it was shot down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The bans are disproportianate, imo.

But it wasn't you who issued them.

I'd like the issuing mod to explain.

I don't make a habit of comparing ban lengths on a public forum but if it will make Des relax and see the light I will explain my taught process.

BobbySands81 posted Des surname,Des reports the post and as I have said I looked at the report and was taken action when BobbySands81 claimed he was Des mate.So I got in contact with Des to get the full grasp of what was going on as I like to have all the facts before I make a decision.The reply you sent to me Des was not very helpfull all I was trying to do was establish the facts,you were no help whatsoever.

This hits the nail on the head.Des I think you need to setp back and review this from others point of view.
    GuanYin wrote: »
    Des, your two week ban is based on the several abusive posts you made after the fact. You know well enough that provocation is no excuse to react how you did and your ban is just as lenient.

Aside from all this, I always assumed that Des's name was common knowledge on boards.ie and Des was comfortable with this.

I don't know what final decisions you think need to be made here. OP banned for posting someone's personal details in the forum (we've banned for this before), everyone else was banned for abuse, trolling or ignoring mod warnings.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hang the hell on my feedback brethren!

Now let's look at the issues here.
    And look at the people involved.

Des has been a great bloke to have around the site for a lot longer than I have been reading boards I am sure.
    So calling him out on a brief perceived change of character is just unfair.
    I wouldn't want someone posting personal information about me on the webs, regardless of how much information I have chosen to give said interweb.
    I would think that the kind of person who would go and post private info would be a total asshole. I know the full names of a fair few boardsies now, I've been around the block a few times on here, and I know myself that I wouldnt go and post their full name on a site like boards.
    I must admit, I too saw Des posting on here before seeing what the issue was and thought he had gone a bit mental until I got the whole story.
    People doing numptyish moronic things on the interweb such as posting personal information about contributors when they don't even directly know them or how the site works or admit who they are should be punishable by a good long and unrelentant slagging, and as the person sinned against, Des has the right to do this moreso than anyone else.
    In fact, if I saw a thread on AH right now from some poster saying "What the hell should I do to some moron who posted my private information on boards.ie" I would advocate some retribution rather than question why the person is pissed off.
    FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hey people.

Perspective please.

Des felt threathened. Whether anyone else empathizes or not, the fact is, the post was ambiguous, to the point where I couldn't tell either way.

We've dealt with all the users involved in the soccer thread.

In this thread, there was some continuation of the antagonizm that would be best suited to a real-world resolution, it provoked hostility, which while not an excuse, does not merit an all out character assassination (not matter how many caveats you want to dress it up with - it reminds me of when people start a sentance with "No offence, but....".

Everyone has their flash point. You've seen two of Des's. Count yourself lucky nobody has been aiming for yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nothing personal Des but you have over reacted in this thread without any provocation. Your behaviour in the soccer forum can not be condoned either although it would be understandable. I wouldn't take too kindly to anyone posting my name in a public forum without my consent.

Take a deep breath.

And why cant bobbysands81 just PM you and tell you how he knows you - if indeed he does at all.

I said the same thing you said in the Mod forum some time ago, by the way, but it was shot down.

Ridiculous... At the end of the day a mod should be leading by example wether in his/her own forum or not. But that's for another thread and this one has gone far enough off topic and don't want this conversation to turn into a witch hunt against you des.

My advice to you though is if you have to abuse somebody just keep it to one post and don't keep going like a feckin rabid dog :)

The thread that sprang to my mind was one in AH a few weeks back about speeding. You attacked a guy that admitted to speeding from time to time when he was younger and then carried on a tirade against him till you were eventually banned. There is no call for that kind of behaviour on here, no matter how peed off you might get

Actually I have to correct you here in the interests of getting this 100% true. He attacked a guy who admitted to DRINK DRIVING a lot in his youth in a thread about speeding. Said guy happened to be a mod of motors and there was a big thread about it in Feedback too as a lot of people seemed to want that poster removed from that modship due to this admission.

As it is I dont think the guy should have posted his 2nd name. I do think it was fine that Des reacted to it as if it was meant in a hostile way seeing as here we are hours later and the poster STILL hasnt said how he knows Des which leads me to believe that he doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

chill_pill.jpg

One more outburst and the next one will be a supository.

Des, I have to agree with the others, something is bothering you. You have been jumpy the past while.

The OPs ban is pretty much not being overturned, I suggest that you just leave it, and if he is a real-life friend, then you can hear his apology in person, and go for a drink afterwards. If he is just a random net loon who got your name from the Boards Team forum, then he will slip up again and we'll ban him.:)

In the meantime I suggest that you go back and delete/edit posts with your sirname in them, if it bothers you that much that people know.

EDIT: Damn, you all calming down before I posted! Never mind, move along, nothing to see....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

muffler wrote: »
    without any provocation.

Really?
    Really you think that?

Actually I have to correct you here in the interests of getting this 100% true. He attacked a guy who admitted to DRINK DRIVING a lot in his youth in a thread about speeding. Said guy happened to be a mod of motors and there was a big thread about it in Feedback too as a lot of people seemed to want that poster removed from that modship due to this admission.

Doesn't matter wether he admitted to raping labrador puppies on a thread, you still can't post a tirade of abuse the way Des did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Really?
    Really you think that?

There was absolutely no provocation meant, the post was deleted soon after putting it up. I was of the opinion that Des knew who I was, I was wrong and deleted the "offending" bit of the thread and apologised twice immediately. Hardly the actions of soebody wishing to provoke.

I then offered to sort it out with him and tell him how I knew him, in order to put his mind at rest, but he said no (on two separate occassions) and kept on slating me.

In the meantime I've taken a lot of abuse from Des and I've had one of his pals sift through my previous posts and post (on this thread) about it... something that Des was disgusted about as he thought I did the same thing to him. I still have not reacted, again hardly the modus operandi of someone wishing to provoke.

The "offending" post was also made on a point we were agreeing with each other on so why would I be trying to provoke when we were in agreement?

Doesn't matter wether he admitted to raping labrador puppies on a thread, you still can't post a tirade of abuse the way Des did.

i didnt comment on whether or not his rant was appropriate, I was just correcting you because your representation of Des' rant made it look a lot less reasonable than it was.

I dont think too many people would have accepted that rant if it were against a guy who admitted to occasionally speeding.

I do however think a lot more people understand when its about drink driving. read the thread, he wasnt the only one.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

Des, from my experiences, has always been a great contributator. In other people's opinions, he may have overreacted to the situation, but they weren't the ones that the post was aimed at, and therefore cannot view something subjectively( whether Des felt threatened) in an objective manner.

I have noticed with feedback how it brings out the worst in some posters, they see it as an opportunity to take a pop at a user, and throw around generalizations of behaviour and posts, taking them out of all context. With Boards, I find that things are rarely black and white, and there is alot to be read between the lines, that one can only do when viewing the thread in full, and with an appreciation of the context involved. However, for some, they seem happy to throw this out the window so they can chirp in with their tuppence worth, and have a go at someone they may dislike for reasons totally unconnected to the feedback thread.

Des, from my experiences, has always been a great contributator. In other people's opinions, he may have overreacted to the situation, but they weren't the ones that the post was aimed at, and therefore cannot view something subjectively( whether Des felt threatened) in an objective manner.

I have noticed with feedback how it brings out the worst in some posters, they see it as an opportunity to take a pop at a user, and throw around generalizations of behaviour and posts, taking them out of all context. With Boards, I find that things are rarely black and white, and there is alot to be read between the lines, that one can only do when viewing the thread in full, and with an appreciation of the context involved. However, for some, they seem happy to throw this out the window so they can chirp in with their tuppence worth, and have a go at someone they may dislike for reasons totally unconnected to the feedback thread.

+ 1.

Hence why i felt it appropriate to correct Onkle because his description of what happened ion that thread in AH made Des look worse than what it would have appeared had he told the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Really?
    Really you think that?
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to point out where the provocation was in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

muffler wrote: »
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to point out where the provocation was in this thread.

It started in another thread and was deleted.

As I said, we all have flashpoints.

a brush with danger with dimitri can tarnish a rep des :)

I missed this earlier.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

regardless of what certain people think about des on here, he is one of the top and most respected posters on the soccer forum and in general, is a massive contributor to the success of this website. he was subjected to a character assasination this evening, he was dragged into a debate that he did not contribute to until enough was enough and in my opinion, is entitled to defend himself. the other poster, does not and will not have the same stature that des has on this forum. while i am a firm believer that everybody is entitled to be equal, there was clear intimidation here and des has been hung out to dry.

i am shocked to be honest, that this thread was allowed to continue as far as it got and i ask a question, where were the mods and why was this thread not stopped in its tracks earlier?! Why does common sense not prevail here and des get a warning, but mods understand that reputations on the SOCCER forum should prevail.

and im shocked that the op here has only got 1 week, i think, based on the nastyness that is in the thread and nature of the offence, that a perm ban would be more applicable. alot of people have been banned, for alot less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement