Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I seek to overturn my ban?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So calling him out on a brief perceived change of character is just unfair.

No it's not, its perfectally fair. IMO it doesn't matter if you're 2 minutes on the site or 20 years, if you resort to personal abuse (especially the amount of it Des did) you deserve to be banned for it.

If you mean his "rep" - well, sure he's probably a great contributer, but if he has outbursts now and again...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There was absolutely no provocation meant, the post was deleted soon after putting it up. I was of the opinion that Des knew who I was, I was wrong and deleted the "offending" bit of the thread and apologised twice immediately. Hardly the actions of soebody wishing to provoke.

I then offered to sort it out with him and tell him how I knew him, in order to put his mind at rest, but he said no (on two separate occassions) and kept on slating me.

In the meantime I've taken a lot of abuse from Des and I've had one of his pals sift through my previous posts and post (on this thread) about it... something that Des was disgusted about as he thought I did the same thing to him. I still have not reacted, again hardly the modus operandi of someone wishing to provoke.

The "offending" post was also made on a point we were agreeing with each other on so why would I be trying to provoke when we were in agreement?

I understand that you have been slighted quite sorely in this thread and the other thread by the defendant.
    I also fully understand that that can sting quite a bit and now you feel slighted yourself.

But you, my good man, started the feedback thread yourself complaining about a 1 week ban, therefore inviting further insults and directly inciting the person in question.
    A 1 week ban and you started the thread.

1 week.

You posted the 2nd name of a particular person for no reason whatsoever on a very public forum.
    You do not know this person merely know OF him.

And then you started this thread to further protest?
    That is behaviour deserving of the insults IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

GuanYin wrote: »
    It started in another thread and was deleted.

As I said, we all have flashpoints.

There was no provocation.

...and it was me that deleted the so called "offending, threatening etc..." remark that was on the Board. As I said I presumed he knew who I was, he SAYS he doesn't. I offered to clear it up with him and he said no twice, does that not tell you something???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

muffler wrote: »
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to point out where the provocation was in this thread.

The provocation in this thread is that the thread exists in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Take your own good advice Des. (as amusing as it is to watch you fly off the handle lately) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I understand that you have been slighted quite sorely in this thread and the other thread by the defendant.
    I also fully understand that that can sting quite a bit and now you feel slighted yourself.

But you, my good man, started the feedback thread yourself complaining about a 1 week ban, therefore inviting further insults and directly inciting the person in question.
    A 1 week ban and you started the thread.

1 week.

You posted the 2nd name of a particular person for no reason whatsoever on a very public forum.
    You do not know this person merely know OF him.

And then you started this thread to further protest?
    That is behaviour deserving of the insults IMO.

I have done nothing wrong, that's why I started this thread.

I feel I don't deserve a ban. I have not abused anyone and Des has been quite happy to fling insults and accusations my way without me retorting in any way. Does that really sound like someone who's trying to "intimidate?"

I posted the second name of a person on a restricted Board. Apparently his name is already on the Board and can be dragged up (much in the same way that Archimedes has dragged up info that I have posted in the past, nobody seems to have noticed the cynical post by him though) by anyone. I took it down and apologised twice within minutes, then Des over reacted and got me banned.

I know him, he knows I know him. I offered to tell him how I knew him on a number of occassions he turned it down. I was not being threatening in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OK, You mean no mailce.

I suppose I'll have to take your word for that.
    I know him, he knows I know him.

No, I still don't.

Are you EVER going to tell me.

Which post of Archimedes are you on about btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

bobbysands81, giving out ANY personal information about a poster without prior consent is just poor internet etiquette. IMO (which in this case matters), I think you were trying to be smart and whether fun or provokative, poke at Des. Eitherway, the action itself is a no-no. A 1 week ban covers it. As an aside, I think it is clear that as far as boards.ie is concerned, Des does not which to engage with you. I would stop trying.

Des and others who have abused you have gotten more severe bans. What they did was wrong, and they have been duely banned.

As far as I can see, noone has come away from this untarnished, least of all some of the posters in this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

On a side not but relevant to this thread.Bobbysands81 insinuated that we treated Des different because he is a Mod on Boards,I can assure you the Soccer mods show no favoritism when dealing with a issue.

Dub13 wrote: »
    On a side not but relevant to this thread.Bobbysands81 insinuated that we treated Des different because he is a Mod on Boards,I can assure you the Soccer mods show no favoritism when dealing with a issue.

Damn right they don't.

God be with the days of the mod clique.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Des wrote: »
    Damn right they don't.

God be with the days of the mod clique.

:pac:

This mod clique thing is overrated,it basically means getting a hooker one of the other mods has been up on.After a while it gets to you.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

OP shouldn't have used any private info on the thread, it does look dodgy and certainly like you are lording your knowledge of him over him.

Des, chill man... don't post here when you are that angry if you cant control it. "Numpty" and "idiot" etc are not adding light, just heat.

Week ban stands to reinforce to the OP that its not on even though he accepts that now, otherwise we would have everyone playing the "I apologised, let me back in NOW" card.

Thread now has a limited lifespan.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Des, chill man... don't post here when you are that angry if you cant control it. "Numpty" and "idiot" etc are not adding light, just heat.

Advice noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

+ 1.

Hence why i felt it appropriate to correct Onkle because his description of what happened ion that thread in AH made Des look worse than what it would have appeared had he told the truth.

In fairness I also made reference to the good contribution that Des made including all the time he gave up to run the boards team

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It started in another thread and was deleted
    dr.bolocko indicated that there was provocation in this thread when quite clearly there wasn't and that was what I was referring to.
    As I said, we all have flashpoints.
    Yeah, couldnt agree more.

This thread started with bs81 looking to have his ban overturned and has sadly ended up with debating Des albeit there was only one reason for that. I think from reading the last couple of posts that Des has now cooled a bit which I and others are only too glad to see. A good man and a good mod.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have closed this thread because I can see no more good/light coming from it. I too have commented before that some of the things Des has been behind have really made me proud of Boards. That said, I would still issue the warning I did (claimants of bias, please note). That Des can take my advice on board and accept my decision says more then a 5 page thread imho.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement